Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
He said it wasn't on purpose.

In reply, I asked "Are you saying you accidentally copied text from TV Tropes?"
That's the second time he's claimed he "accidentally" copied text from TVT.
(12-22-2021, 10:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]That's the second time he's claimed he "accidentally" copied text from TVT.

The next time he lifts text, he's out IMO.

It's not hard to avoid plagiarism if you write blind, but with his track record, it's obvious instead of clean room edits, they are looking at TVT and trying to launder it as their work with some rewording and rephrasing on occasion. I say we drop the hammer hard on another attempt at that foolishness.
Agreed. I already warned him in the ban notice that third strike means a permanent ban.
Also agreed, and I've said as much on the wiki.
Here's a question -- he has, as I write this, 23 edits left in the mod queue to review. If any of those are also copyright violations, shall we consider it his third strike right there and immediately permaban him?

(I just rejected one of his edits, btw, but it wasn't for copyright violation. It was something odd where he added a trope that doesn't exist here or at TVT. I think it was just a clumsy misremember of the trope name, but it also had a Microsoft Word curly apostrophe in it and I'm honestly tired of fixing stupid little shit like that for him, especially when we've already told him about it. His contributions are so not worth the effort they require that I find myself hoping he does do something that requires us to permaban him, just to spare us all the future effort.)
(12-22-2021, 07:14 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Iloveicecream has just earned himself a one-week tempban by trying to slip cut'n'pasting from TVT into an edit to Bully (video game)/YMMV.  Just to let everyone know.  I've warned him that the third incident will likely earn him a permanent ban.

Did you check to make sure the text wasn't lifted from a pre-fork iteration of the page?

Not because I necessarily doubt that he's done what you caught him out for, but because we've had that sort of thing lead to confusion and a mistaken ban previously, and I just want things to be thorough enough that we prevent any future instances of such.
No, he's all but admitted it's copied from the current version of the page (and similarly in the first case, which was a 10K block of text copied from TVT's Enchanted page adding stuff that very much did not exist before the fork).
(12-23-2021, 09:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a question -- he has, as I write this, 23 edits left in the mod queue to review.  If any of those are also copyright violations, shall we consider it his third strike right there and immediately permaban him?

The wording of your tempban notice allows for it, and this particular troper has a history of failing to learn (or refusing to learn) from mistakes.

(12-23-2021, 09:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ](I just rejected one of his edits, btw, but it wasn't for copyright violation.  It was something odd where he added a trope that doesn't exist here or at TVT.  I think it was just a clumsy misremember of the trope name, but it also had a Microsoft Word curly apostrophe in it and I'm honestly tired of fixing stupid little shit like that for him, especially when we've already told him about it.  His contributions are so not worth the effort they require that I find myself hoping he does do something that requires us to permaban him, just to spare us all the future effort.)

Perhaps you should let the current entries sit in the queue and let the rest of us look at them. We don't want somebody saying they were permabanned because a mod was looking for a reason to ban him. ("Fast Eddie" comes to mind here.)

I'll look at them over the weekend - it isn't as if I'm going out on Boxing Day (unless I can magically get a booster jab that day).
(12-23-2021, 10:52 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]No, he's all but admitted it's copied from the current version of the page (and similarly in the first case, which was a 10K block of text copied from TVT's Enchanted page adding stuff that very much did not exist before the fork).

Right-o, just doing due diligence on my part.

On a tangent - what's this one's problem?
Troll, I'd say. Those two comments are its only contributions to the wiki ever.
(12-23-2021, 12:44 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Troll, I'd say.  Those two comments are its only contributions to the wiki ever.

Concur, Gave them a block for several months because I'd rather we not have someone around who has nothing but insults and invective to contribute instead of anything relevant to our project.
(12-23-2021, 01:12 PM)GethN7 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2021, 12:44 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Troll, I'd say.  Those two comments are its only contributions to the wiki ever.

Concur, Gave them a block for several months because I'd rather we not have someone around who has nothing but insults and invective to contribute instead of anything relevant to our project.

You're the one who's interacted with them. Feel free; I won't stop you.
BTW, restoring the Adobe Flash revision, the contributor provided proof they ported over their own edits, check the moderation log
Posted a blog about it - appears to be encountering technical difficulties on their end.
I see that the trope "The Rabbit Died" does not yet have an image.

I am so tempted to copy the image from this article and use it with the caption, "No, not like this." Smile
Heh. Works for me. But then, you knew it would.
I just added to Category:Camera Tricks a link to a list of Real Life names for different types of camera shots.

If somebody has time, please match the real-world terms to the tropes...

Note that the real-world terms can be combined. For example, a "widescreen" "eye-level" "cowboy" shot is called a Visual Novel Shot on the wiki.
(12-27-2021, 03:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]I just added to Category:Camera Tricks a link to a list of Real Life names for different types of camera shots.

If somebody has time, please match the real-world terms to the tropes...

Note that the real-world terms can be combined. For example, a "widescreen" "eye-level" "cowboy" shot is called a Visual Novel Shot on the wiki.

Funny that I'm seeing this after suggesting "Subordinate Shot" on that one Talk Page, heh.

In other news, there's a new Trope candidate from a very recent member which came very close to completely stepping all over the trope idea I discussed in this thread!!

...jokes aside, though, it also seems like it's just another angle on Nostalgia Filter + Pandering to the Base - if somehow not falling afoul of both itself - and handled with... a bit less tact than there ought to be.  (Similarly, their only other edit thus far was something about "moral opinions being treated as fact" that got a raised brow from me.)

My own misgivings aside, I feel like it'd be worth at least starting a discussion on the Talk Page about the angle in particular, particularly to make sure it avoids becoming a case of Complaining About Very Recently Released Shows and Movies You Don't Like.
Kinda busy here with my game review job, the post-holiday rush and all, but we have a sizable backlog of Moderation queue things that need trimmed down.

As for Memberberries, I do like the idea, but the editor could stand to add more content and let a lot less of their personal feelings leak into it. A lot of their examples need more fleshing out instead of just saying they fit the trope too. As for their second edit, I probably should have rejected that one after looking at it more carefully.
(12-27-2021, 09:05 PM)GethN7 Wrote: [ -> ]Kinda busy here with my game review job, the post-holiday rush and all, but we have a sizable backlog of Moderation queue things that need trimmed down.

As for Memberberries, I do like the idea, but the editor could stand to add more content and let a lot less of their personal feelings leak into it. A lot of their examples need more fleshing out instead of just saying they fit the trope too. As for their second edit, I probably should have rejected that one after looking at it more carefully.

Indeed, it's a bit of an odd first impression to make - and on top of that, I think Memberberries might not be the name to go with (but then I tend to shy away from over-reliance on pop culture for names in general, so grains of salt ahoy).
I just did an edit pass on it -- WDStudios clearly has never read either our Style Guidelines, the instructions within the Trope template, or, indeed, any trope page on the wiki, given their rather idiosyncratic markup choices and all. While it may be wasted effort if we decide it's another case of "the same only a little different" (and we need to start debating that in the talk page), the page now at least looks right.

Meanwhile, in other news, Iloveicecream has finally responded to his ban with a random angry non sequitur about TVT's mod staff.
Like yeah, big whoop, why do you think we're here, still doesn't make it cool to lift text wholesale from them instead of putting in the work for an Actually Slightly Original Thought.
(12-28-2021, 12:19 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]I just did an edit pass on it -- WDStudios clearly has never read either our Style Guidelines, the instructions within the Trope template, or, indeed, any trope page on the wiki, given their rather idiosyncratic markup choices and all.  While it may be wasted effort if we decide it's another case of "the same only a little different" (and we need to start debating that in the talk page), the page now at least looks right.

Meanwhile, in other news, Iloveicecream has finally responded to his ban with a random angry non sequitur about TVT's mod staff.

Yeah, I loved the basic idea of the workshop page, but the creator formatted it abysmally. If they do it again, I say we give them a talking to.

As for the other guy, their butthurt we care about our legal liability matters less to me than my last bowel movement. If one more edit of theirs turns out to be plagiarized I will personally boot this guy out because I'm not going to court over letting their theft run rampant.
I don't know whether to approve this one - is it sufficiently different from TV Tropes' version to be original?

Also, this version of the same edit but in the wrong namespace, with more content than the one in the Trope Workshop.

EDIT: Noting this comment on the troper's talk page, I'm going to let Geth take care of these two.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13