Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Looking for a law...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that legal advice on the Internet is worth what you pay for it... but I'm looking for copies of actual laws, and DuckDuckGo is failing me.

Does anybody know where to find copies of inheritance laws?

(If it matters, I'm wondering whether I can will my fully-paid-up software licenses to somebody. So, laws that apply in Utah and Washington state.)
These should all be part of the legal code of the relevant states/bodies, and publicly accessible as such.

If the local government is even vaguely sensible, this can be accessed from the internet.

Here is Utah, with the search field already filled in.

And here is Washington, sorry, you will have to figure that one out yourself.

The safest bet would be to go ask a lawyer specializing in inheritance in each of those states, but that might be a bit expensive.
Thanks!

(So, why didn't DuckDuckGo show me those links...?)
Definitely go with a lawyer to write the actual document, because just like every other legal document there's a lot of formalized terminology and formatting that may or may not be counterintuitive to the layman and getting it wrong can range from a hassle to a major difficulty to try to sort out, especially if there's anything that might be contested or otherwise open to challenge, like software companies wanting a new user to "buy" (for whatever value of the word applies with how modern EULAs are written) a new license instead of inheriting one, but doing what research you can yourself so you at least know what's reasonable to expect to be able to do, and what questions to ask to firm that up, is certainly a good idea as well, if only to not waste billable hours chasing dead ends and having them explained.
Exactly. I don't want to pay a lawyer to tell me I can't legally do what I want to do, if I can find that out myself for free.
Here you go. A carefully moderated subreddit for people to ask questions like that and get answers from real lawyers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/