Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: So, where do people buy anime Blu-rays nowadays?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I placed an order with Right Stuf last December 26. I just checked their website - everything in my order is now showing as being in stock (two boxes weren't, three weeks ago), but they haven't shipped the order yet.

I placed an order with CDJapan on Sunday. Everything was listed as "Usually ships in 2-4 weeks". They're packing the box today - a half-week after I placed the order. (Monday was a holiday in Japan.) Which tells me where I want to shop for things that don't need English subtitles... but so few Japanese discs have English subtitles, and they're pricey.

I recall placing an order directly with Sentai Filmworks at the same time I placed the order with Right Stuf. That was fulfilled and shipped in a timely manner, on par with CDJapan's turnaround time. But they only have their own titles.

Where do people who still buy Blu-rays buy them from nowadays?
Have you contacted RightStuf about your order, Rob? I've used them for years and never had a problem, certainly nothing like what you're experiencing. Bring it to their attention if you haven't already.
I should do that... tomorrow, when I'm not about to fall asleep.
Urgh.

Despite how nice it is having a hard copy, I can't justify spending money on anime on Blu-ray.

The only good thing about Crunchyroll/Funimation/Sony owning practically all the anime in the USA will be that I'll only need to pay for a single subscription for a single service.  Which will still be cheaper than buying two or three BR discs a month and net me far more content, even if I gotta pay for a second subscription to another service for the one or two titles that they don't managed to grab.

The downside will be a website with an utterly horrible layout that is glitchy as all hell, with an even worse glutton-for-resources web player, voice acting for teenage characters by people in their forties and fifties and is also dull and lifeless because the execs want them to just read the lines and gtfo because they're paying by the hour, and subtitles that are mostly machine translated - probably by Google because its free.

And people wonder why fansub/scanslation groups and piracy are starting to see a comeback.  Long live Mangadex - may they never shill out like Crunchyroll did.
Maybe somebody noticed this thread. My RightStuf order was boxed up for shipping just morning.

(Just in time to miss my time off for the next few months...)
I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bot looking, Kibo-like, for mentions like this.

Oh, and hi, Kibo!
While the immediate issue has been addressed, that does leave the original question...

(03-24-2022, 06:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Where do people who still buy Blu-rays buy them from nowadays?
RightStuf and Amazon. Every other place I used to buy anime from online is gone.
Not for a long time, but I'm pretty sure I bought something from PlayAsia once and the experience didn't suck. And there was another that the only thing I can remember was that it had "1999" in their URL, that I often look for to find toy pictures because they put up huge high-res galleries for each item, that I bought the Japan-only PS3 game Macross 30 from. Like BA, I pretty much don't bother with permanently buying copies when I haven't run across anything I honestly think I'd want to rewatch in ... a depressingly long time, actually. Geez, over a decade now...
(03-25-2022, 02:12 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]... The only good thing about Crunchyroll/Funimation/Sony owning practically all the anime in the USA will be that I'll only need to pay for a single subscription for a single service. ...

Crunchyroll to Remove Food Wars!, Akame Ga Kill, BanG Dream!, Girls und Panzer, No Game No Life, More Anime

You're gonna need more than one service.
Crunchyroll is also removing free watching with ads, for the spring season and going forward.
(03-27-2022, 11:47 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2022, 02:12 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]... The only good thing about Crunchyroll/Funimation/Sony owning practically all the anime in the USA will be that I'll only need to pay for a single subscription for a single service. ...

Crunchyroll to Remove Food Wars!, Akame Ga Kill, BanG Dream!, Girls und Panzer, No Game No Life, More Anime

You're gonna need more than one service.

Fortunately, per the article, pretty much everything that's leaving Crunchyroll is going to the same service, Hidive (at least if ANN's write-up on Hidive can be trusted).