Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: 3d-art resources and talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I was thinking Vesta because the wood for the sacred hearth fire isn't going to chop itself... Smile

This one's a "note to self so I don't forget I have these now" post.

Today only, Daz has a "get one from this list for free or buy two new releases and get two from this list for free" promotion, buried about halfway down this page.

So I moved two new releases from my wishlist to my shopping cart. (If I'm planning to get them anyway, may as well get something else for free at the same time, eh? And, yes, my tax refund says I can afford it.) Then I sorted the list by what's most expensive and looked through it for useful freebies, and found one that was on my wishlist and one that wasn't.

Buying CNB Lien for Genesis 8.1 Female (because we're starting to see a notable population of nine-year-old girls in the Metacontinuity) and PS Motorcycle (because Whilrwind is in the setting so we need a selection of bikes) got me Recording Studio (for Nao Okuda) and Saunders Steampunk Tavern (for the patrons' lounge at the Grand Imperial Theater) for free.
Oh, very nice. Although the Tavern looks a bit more Old West than Steampunk. (And I have no idea what those two big tank-like things are for -- they're way too complex to be fermentation vats for beer, and utterly impractical as stills for liquor.)
Is there a reasonable possibility of Agatha Heterofyne being in the area to have built a Cofffee Engine? Or one of the other at least semi-comedic inventor types, like Washuu, Bulma, or Kyusaku Natsume?
hmmm.... Yeah, what Bob said. S'not Sparky enough.

For a real steampunk look, it needs to look a bit more like someone took an industrial space for a small chemical plant, some bits from an old oil refinery, and turned it into a tavern.

The thing to keep in mind about the steampunk aesthetic is that it is TYPICALLY NOT PRACTICAL. It is entirely and completely all about the Rule of Cool. Everything is going to have clockwork and brass pipes and fittings just because they can.
Which is why I find it utterly infuriating. Steampunk isof having the appearance of functionality, while being utterly useless. An art-form assembled from the language of industrial machinery, victorian fashion and colonialist imperialism, but without the requirement to actually work, lthe engineer's equivelant of those tattoos in ‘Japanese’ people had gotten themselves because they looked pretty and not because they wanted a Japanese Hannibal Lecter to know they were non-poisonous.

Sure it's pretty. But real engineering is often far more elegant.
Guys, unless you're offering suggestions on models to make it better, please take it to another thread.
(04-25-2022, 01:20 AM)Dartz Wrote: [ -> ]Somehow, this was linked from the above anyway.....

That's... not steampunk, either. Then again, this was linked from that. Random ads on the Daz3D pages, linking to other Daz3D products no matter how inappropriate they might be. (This is one of the less-important reasons why I support ATT's "no ads" stance.)

Anyway...

I splurged and picked up Hidden Hangar and Biplane on sale because (1) it's been on my wishlist for months, and (2) maybe we can add Porco Rosso to the Metacontinuity.
I splurged last month. Uzume will have to wait until I'm ready to start doing renders at Aria House.
Worked my discounts and applied a coupon to scenes and environments that were already on sale, so... list price $269.30, my price $14.54. Can't do that again for at least a month.

Items of interest for TNB include Cyber Studio for Nao's songwriting and other homework (and give the twin keyboard rig to Mugi), Recital Hall and Auditorium for a place for Ami to attend classes (yes, I've actually been in a university lecture hall in Ottawa that looks like this set),  Deco Lobby Addon to turn a set I already had into an Art Deco theatre lobby (for later),  70s Modern House to put under a dome for the Senshi to live in when Moonbase Alpha shows up (and to raid for parts), and Marquee Party for some place to hold a quiet, romantic, small wedding (yes, there will be at least one wedding that isn't a gala state event, really, such as... er... um... oh! Chrono and Amy's).
Those all look like great finds, Rob.  Smile

I especially like the Modern House and the Deco Lobby.

Though just one thing....  Benjamin's Big Fat Geek Wedding would only seem like a gala event because of the sheer number of people involved.  The reality is Benjamin will want to keep it as intimate of an affair as possible, and not let it spiral out of control as, say, Corwin and Utena's wedding.  Tongue

So that "Marquee Party" building you found will probably get a decent amount of use, especially since the lighting can change to fit whoever is at the altar.
Mokona's perspective-defying 2D-ness is a pain in the ass. I'll need some more time to think about it.

For now, that is all I have to report.
As long as stuff's on sale (buy two from column A and two from column B to get 2/3 off), might as well prepare for the Obligatory Beach Episode... assuming I ever write one.

Column A was swimwear (with a lot of lingerie mixed in, but I ignored that). This one, minus the skirt, looks like something Kuroko actually wore in canon, so yeah. This other one, though... well, I suppose somebody could wear it to a beach party, but let's just say I'm happy the flippers come off.

Column B was environments. Someplace for folks to go on vacation, although it needs furniture and it's obvious that the residents will be eating out every meal. And, well, this was so cheap that it cost less than the discount it gave everything else.
Hrm... I'm gonna have to dig up some photos of the beach where my family would camp out at.

The funny thing is that the Texas Gulf Coast has the kind of beaches that fit the cliché that people think of when they think of beaches - rolling, sandy dunes, crabs, jelly fish, the occasional sea turtle, and crashing surf. Though the water tends to be more green than blue, but whatcha gonna do? Tongue

Pics later in the pics thread. For now? I gotta get to work.
(05-11-2022, 04:20 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]Mokona's perspective-defying 2D-ness is a pain in the ass. I'll need some more time to think about it.

For now, that is all I have to report.

I just remembered: CLAMP really likes the egg shape. Does that help with modelling Mokona?
Well I mean... there's probably six or seven simple ways to do it, and a scatter of more complicated ways, and then the stupidly over-complicated path of figuring out how you'd actually sew one together IRL and then mimicking that in 3D. Guess which one I was trying, and am still picking over in the back of my head, despite not being anyone's idea of a master tailor? Tongue

As for your holiday bungalow, include a grill and (at least) a mini-fridge and water cooler among the furniture and you can make it at least somewhat self-sufficient without resorting to takeout or a community dining area as part of an attached resort.
Not really a beach, but close enough... especially when I get it for free.
I've had a corporate jet model for a while. Now I have some place to put it while Washuu-chan rips out the fuel-burning engines and adds something that the displacees can afford to keep running. (Worked my discounts, used a coupon, got it for $0.06.)
As discussed during this week's writers' chat, items so that I can render two original characters: gender-fluid character morphs, and an outfit with tight jeans.
There is no coincidence, only necessity... Daz3D sent me a 76%-off coupon good for five items from a list.

So... Suki (with green eyes) with Itsy Hair (with the red tint) for the new residence manager/liaison in Vancouver. (Oh, and her swimsuit for the Obligatory Beach Episode.) Now all she still needs is her tattoo... which I can do on my own with the layered image editor in DAZ Studio, the skin texture she'll be getting, and CC0 (because I don't want to risk license collision) clipart.

Also on the limited list was Biker hair and Beard, which I grabbed for the new residence manager in Pensacola.

I finished off with Poolside Oahu Outfit because I recall one of the longstanding building managers prefers to wear aloha shirts... Smile
Daz3D is having their semi-annual sale this week, with different freebies and deep-discounts every day. Today, I got a bunch of stuff, including couple of plushies for Minako's room and this set that will serve nicely for Blossom's pocket dimension post-retcon once it gets a new coat of paint.
(04-25-2022, 07:37 AM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway...

I splurged and picked up Hidden Hangar and Biplane on sale because (1) it's been on my wishlist for months, and (2) maybe we can add Porco Rosso to the Metacontinuity.

And now we can add Porco Rosso to the Metacontinuity.
(05-15-2022, 03:36 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ].... Someplace for folks to go on vacation, although it needs furniture and it's obvious that the residents will be eating out every meal. ...

(05-16-2022, 08:01 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: [ -> ]...
As for your holiday bungalow, include a grill and (at least) a mini-fridge and water cooler among the furniture and you can make it at least somewhat self-sufficient without resorting to takeout or a community dining area as part of an attached resort.

(06-06-2022, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote: [ -> ]Daz3D is having their semi-annual sale this week, with different freebies and deep-discounts every day. ...

Daz is finishing their semi-annual sale today. Reruns on the new stuff for folks who couldn't look at the site every day, so for me it's "buy some stuff from the wishlist" day. Nothing new, nothing that wasn't already on sale, but what was on sale plus the discount that I accumulated by buying inexpensive things every day through the sale let me buy some relatively expensive stuff for 2/3 off.

Including this "tiny house" (so tiny you could put it on wheels and tow it somewhere else as a wide load trailer), possibly to use as-is (after I add a few cylinder primitives to make a handrail for the stairs up to the master bedroom) but primarily to raid for furniture and appliances for that vacation spot, especially the fridge and grill (and washer/dryer).

(Also including some utilities that let me use a lot of my older wardrobe and hair resources with the current generation of character figures. Sure, the fashions shown by those older outfits and hairdos might be a decade or two out of date, but so are the fashions shown in a lot of the works that our displacees come from.)
heh, some of the titles for the books in that set are amusing. 8)

'Writing Cool Heroes' and 'Writing Good Villains' (by the same 'author')
'Do Sheep Dream of Electric Robots?'
'Kindergarden of the Dead (Vol 1)'
'If I fits, I sits' (with a cat on the cover)
'A Study about Nothing'

wouldn't the Master bedroom be the one with easy access to the bathroom? and a close-able door for privacy?
Normally, it would... but the upstairs bedroom has a bigger bed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6