Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: The Fourteenth Doctor has been cast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Radio Times has the announcement.

So... Two TV series and a movie at the same time? I hope you're up for that much work...
Mass spew by racist fans who think they own the franchise in three, two, ...
(05-08-2022, 07:28 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: [ -> ]Mass spew by racist fans who think they own the franchise in three, two, ...

You're late on the countdown. I personally expect that the mass spew started within a mere second or so of the Post button being pressed on the release.
The Doctor can be anything they want to be, their physiology is quite flexible in that regard so long as it conforms to the generally humanoid, so just hope they do the series justice is my take.
Indeed, how the Doctor looks, and in the details (dress sense, quippy vs. serious, whether or not they like pears) even how they act is unimportant, compared to maintaining the core elements of the character. Technological genius less obviously matched by a keen social perception, inability to leave an innocent to suffer, injustice to fester, or a mystery unsolved, eschewing violence whenever possible and applying it with resolute efficiency when unavoidable. Add a TARDIS control room set and a few key props (the TARDIS exterior and some form of sonic screwdriver, mainly) and you can drop the actors onto whatever location or sound stage set with whatever supporting cast you like and tell a good Dr. Who story. Lose more than one or two, and it doesn't matter if there's a police box and a handheld bzzzt! and the technobabble is correct and the antagonist of the week is as iconic as Daleks or Cybermen or whatever, it's just not going to be The Doctor.
Remember the good old days when the Doctor was a white man, the Home Counties voted Tory, and Brexit meant Brexit?  That time is lost forever.

It's actually kind of cool to change the form of a character and have people react differently while the audience knows its the same character.  The new guy will give Jack Harkness someone to crush on, though :)

Mostly I'm just excited about Russell T Davies being back.  I haven't enjoyed Chibnall's reign, to the point where I stopped watching in the middle of a recent episode.
(05-09-2022, 03:10 PM)Labster Wrote: [ -> ]Remember the good old days when the Doctor was a white man, the Home Counties voted Tory, and Brexit meant Brexit?  That time is lost forever.

It's actually kind of cool to change the form of a character and have people react differently while the audience knows its the same character.  The new guy will give Jack Harkness someone to crush on, though Smile

Mostly I'm just excited about Russell T Davies being back.  I haven't enjoyed Chibnall's reign, to the point where I stopped watching in the middle of a recent episode.

At least Davies knew how to keep it entertaining in the "turn your brain mostly off and enjoy the show" sense. Hope he brings back some of that.