Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: As promised...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As always, forum members get a 24 hour leap on every other outlet:
Chapter 7 of Drunkard's Walk V.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Edit: Huh, no idea. Fixed now. Excellent as always, Bob. 
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
It worked for me.

And it worked in a rather satisfying and enjoyable manner. I found that the breakthrough was especially handled quite well. Like a pint of Carlsberg after cranking an old banger of a truck through the desert.... worth waiting for.

[size=smaller](Hey, not all of needed to consult the Concordance for that reference.)[/size]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
i notice we never see what song takes him out of there (or how long it takes).....
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Does it really matter?

(If "yes," then pick one of the dozens that have been suggested in The Game Everybody Loves to Play.)
--
Rob Kelk

A wait of a week wasn't so bad for the last chapter.  First time in my life that it's been awesome to be the new guy.  Good work, once again.
Harold Laird Wrote:In this skein of universes, Heaven and Hell share the same goal — the ultimate perfection of the human race. ... We simply disagree on our methods and the definition of 'perfection'.
Wait.  Bell is a Vorlon?
Concordance Wrote:Chris says: This was a massive, to put it mildly, point of contention between me and Bob.
Personally, I'm glad to see Chris' character grow into his godhood.  You can be a powerful, knowledgeable badass and still have wacky hijinks as the universe's chew toy -- just look at Himura Kenshin.
-- ∇×V

HoagieOfDoom

This was absolutely worth the wait. Kudos to both of you, on a wonderful ending and for finally getting it out of the gate!

The explanation and connection between Paradox and Mara was fantastically done, and I really liked how you guys weaved about a million references to other DW stories and other stories' cosmologies all over the place. Especially at the end when Paradox meets Ed and the others.

Now if you'll excuse, it's time to reread DWII and Oh! My Brother.
Big Grin

My only major questions now regard Alena. Does she count as a Goddess now, back in the Warriorverse? And did Doug ask Chris if it would be possible to send a message home, via Alena?

(Also, I wish we could have seen her reporting in to Wetter Hexe. That would have been something to see. Ah well, can't have everything.)

Thank you for writing this. Big Grin
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Alena did say that she was going to let "Major Maggie" know that Doug was alive and kicking, and still looking for a way home, so that's something... and probably all we're going to get on the topic Wink

but feel free to prove me wrong! Smile
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Wetter Hexe will probably notice Alena's attachment to the Guardian, but she isn't a goddess. Each of the incarnations stay at their native power level, except for rare instances. A great example might be some battle against a stupidly powerful meta with delusions of godhood, and Alena resonating with the Guardian and snacking him down hard when all else is lost, in a "this is real godhood" moment that might happen once.

Bob might have a better idea, but she isn't suddenly more powerful.
No, that's about it. Paradox is, as Odin put it, the controlling persona for the whole hive-mind. Basically, when by their powers combined they are Captain Planet the Guardian, Paradox forms the head -- he's the one that gets the ultimate powerup -- because he's the only Celestial in the entire bunch, as a result of the initial attempt to Ascend him.

That's important -- he's the only Celestial. Like Legion's many selves, everyone else is more or less a normal mortal (even such borderline cases as Alena and the Matrix Paradox), and except for their awareness of their collective identity are no different than they were before the Self-Assembly. As Chris notes, they can, in moments of dire need, draw on the collective self's power -- but they can't hold onto it afterwards. Because they're not divine.
-- Bob
---------
And yes, that includes ones you think may count, such as the incarnation in the BtVS universe, or some of the 'joke' incarnations where he appears to have all his OMB abilities.

There is only *one* Celestial incarnation.

(Also, not all of them know they're part of the collective on a conscious level. Key point, that.)
FWEEEEE!

Do love the last little bit there that you're using to kick off Girls, Girls, Girls. Smile
Yeah, I figured it was time someone other than Rob wrote some official material in that project.
-- Bob
---------
Yeah - leaving me to do all the work... I ought to complain to the guy in charge of this proje... Oh, right.
--
Rob Kelk

I don't have anything of substance to contribute; I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this banter/kibitz thread. Makes the entire thing that little bit better.
It's different from the usual, too, which makes it fun. Usually someone posts a massive review/commentary, and other people chime in with their own (of varying sizes), but it doesn't turn into a dialogue. This thread doesn't feed my ego as much (
-- Bob
---------
jpub Wrote:And yes, that includes ones you think may count, such as the incarnation in the BtVS universe, or some of the 'joke' incarnations where he appears to have all his OMB abilities.

There is only *one* Celestial incarnation.
Well, you know, Chris, I sort of personally thought of those Paradoxes as being the Core Paradox's first avatars.   Not so much separate people the way Kristas Two-swords or Alena appear to be, but spawned instances of his base class, so to speak...
-- Bob
---------
Eh, I could see that. They're still not true Celestials, and know it.
Re: the comment in the Concordance about the line that where Keiichi is, is heaven -- before Heinlein wrote something similar in Job, Mark Twain wrote something much the same in 1905 as the last line of a humorous short book titled Eve's Diary (interspersed with extracts from Adam's Diary).

Quote:AT EVE'S GRAVE

ADAM: Wheresoever she was, THERE was Eden.
I've a strong suspicion that Heinlein was deliberately paraphrasing Twain, though it might've been coincidence as with yours. Incidentally, Poul Anderson used yet another version at the climax of The High Crusade, when Catherine tells Roger it doesn't matter that they've lost the records that could navigate them back to England.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.