Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fuck. My. Life. (Nothin' to to do with TNB)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll let the picture do the talking.

[Image: FCD38DDC-BAE9-450B-86FA-C776A2DEE16D.jpg]

In case anyone around here thinks I'm doing just fine?

I'm not, and for damn good reasons.

The only good thing is that I won't be having to pay for this.

The bad thing?

There's some gnarly shit up in that space that is already tweaking my sinuses.  And this is to say nothing of the thing that lives up that that we hear skittering around at night.
Jesus Fucking Christ...

[Image: 06DC5353-5A3E-4A25-9FE0-253F1AF0166B.jpg...height=564]

[Image: C239A2C5-C252-4083-B9B6-0628507094B6.jpg...height=564]

Same room.  Hole is just getting bigger and bigger.  And this even though the storm is already past.

Still no word from Emergency Maintenance.
Damn, that is a mess. Leaking rainwater too, I take it, from the various streaks and drips, and generally soggy look of the fiberglass? With a lot of moisture, the stuff being that dark, and causing respiratory distress, you'd better make sure it's not full of black mold before letting the management just patch it up and plaster it over.
What drogn said. That's a nasty mess that needs decontamination before repair.
Unfortunately, the modus operandi of property managers here - particularly apartments - is to cover this up and hide it. This is coming from a professional mold inspection service I just called up. (They don't do removal or abatement, only inspection, so there's no conflict of interest.)

That said, we're going to be redoubling our efforts to find someplace else to live. Preferably a house of some kind - not a townhouse or apartment or anything like that. We already decided months ago that we have got to get out of this place. The trouble is that the money just hasn't been there. But now?

Now my parents will very likely throw a fair amount of money into it because our health and safety is now in actual danger.
Status update:

Maintenance Man today did a temporary repair on the roof, patching the stupidly huge leak.  Turns out that the roofing got stripped all the way down to the plywood sheets, so the water was coming in, en mass, through the gaps between the wood sheets.

For the inside, he cleaned up the edges of the hole, cutting out broken sheetrock and plaster.  He'd have done more, but he had to wait on the replacement insulation to come in - apparently the way they're set up, he just can't go out and buy whatever he needs on the company card.  He's gotta requisition everything.  Nice huh? </s>

At the very least, things have dried out for the most part.

Tomorrow, though, he should have the hole covered up, and the air quality in here will be improving.  At least, that what should happen.

We'll see.
(05-25-2022, 03:58 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: [ -> ]Same room.  Hole is just getting bigger and bigger.  And this even though the storm is already past.

Still no word from Emergency Maintenance.

Just because the storm had passed did not mean there would be no more damage.  This would have been caused by remaing drainage and the materials already being weakened by the leak but taking longer to fail.

JAYSUS BA.  What MCPO's coffee did you piss in back in the day to earn this much Devine bad Karma????
(05-26-2022, 10:17 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: [ -> ]JAYSUS BA.  What MCPO's coffee did you piss in back in the day to earn this much Devine bad Karma????

This level of "Something went wrong" is the usual thing for me, and part of why in TNB I had it that the Megami and Demons were both fucking stumped over my character's karma.  Write what you know and all.

Other examples:

The pickup truck I bought mostly using money Brent sent me getting towed for not having a parking sticker... not even 24 hours after its arrival from Minneapolis, and on a weekend where it would have taken an act of god to get a parking sticker.

To add insult to injury, the towing company billed me an additional $90 on top of the regular charges because they mixed up my truck with another vehicle that was towed in from outside city limits.  The upshot was that once they realized their mistake, that combined with the fact I had just gotten in with the truck the other night from out of state had them so fucking mortified that they eventually reversed all the charges.  I was still out an entire day's worth of sleep, and on a night I had to work.  Saying I was stressed that night is putting it mildly.

Going through the trouble of pulling the engine and transmission from my Saturn SC1 to to a fucking HUGE laundry list of repairs in hopes of getting it reliably running again....

....except I did too good of a job at cleaning everything up, and then forgot that this little engine only takes 4 quarts of oil instead of the usual 5.  It was so clean on the inside that I couldn't see the oil level on the dipstick.  So, I wound up blowing the front and rear main seals.

Again.

Oh, and also I somehow fucked something up in the transaxle's differential.  Don't ask me how - I'm not even sure of what got fucked up because I'd have to pull the thing out again and crack it open to find out.

My brother getting into an accident with the Jetta because some fucking cunt of a man couldn't keep it in his fucking pants and had to do a last-second dive for a driveway.  And also, the insurance company trying to total out the car, despite Texas state law saying that a vehicle's repair cost must exceed the cash value (not the trade-in value) of the vehicle.  (Cash value before the accident: $8,400.  Repair estimates: between $5,500 to $6,900.  AND they only wanted to give me just barely enough to finish paying off the vehicle in return for totaling it.  The stunned silence on the phone when I literally told them to go pound sand was glorious.)

I can go on and on and on with all the fucked up shit that's been going on in my life over the last few years.  And that's not even getting into my past of being abused as a child by my stepfather and being all-but brainwashed into thinking I was a piece of human garbage.

So it's not so much what MCPO's coffee I pissed in.  It's more like how many nuns did I kill and orphanages did I burn down in a previous life?

Oh, and progress has been made...

[Image: 880DABC2-D30D-449C-8817-CADDA339C941.jpg]

Aside: my brother, who resides in this space, has requested a small ceiling fan.  No better time than now, I guess.
And now?

Now the air conditioning has burned out.

[Image: 4550AA6C-A999-4537-91A1-F8DA0E6C6D57.jpg...height=563]

And the office is closed on Fridays, and the maintenance man has the day off, too.  So the situation will likely not even be assessed until monday.  Which means that nothing will be done about it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Fuck.  My.  Life.
Add another day likely, due to the holiday. I mostly get by in temperatures like that with a fan, a mister bottle (as in the kind used for plants or disciplining pets,) and lack of a shirt to provide open skin to spray the water on, but I'd vastly prefer A/C too.
Well, thankfully the technician showed up today.

Just as thankfully, it turned out to be an easy fix, though he and I will be fucked if we can figure out why it happened.

Thing is, the power wires for the compressor came loose.

No, not the entire outside unit. Just the compressor itself.

Yeah, I know. Godawfully fishy.

The downside is that this came just after I spent about $75 on fans to help move air in and out of our apartment, expecting that the technician wouldn't show up until Tuesday. AAAUUUUGGGGHHHH.
Eh, at least you'll have them to deal with the smell when the ceiling is being repainted? Or if suspicious A/C problems keep suspiciously happening, though in that case an infrared spotlight and a camera that you can set to keep streaming (or recording directly) might be more useful in the long run.
The outside unit is up on the roof.  On a building that's three or four stories tall.  In order to have "eyes" watching up there, I'd have to set it up somewhere out in the middle of the courtyard.  Which means it'd have to be an expensive wireless setup.  And we have little kids around here with extremely little discipline.  (Not that they aren't likeable in most cases, just that the laissez-faire parenting runs rampant around here.)

And that's to say nothing about this place being ghetto as fuck.  There was one instance where we had some fucker breaking into just about every car on the back row of the parking lot here.  The only vehicles he avoided were the ones that obviously had theft deterrent systems installed, like my 2013 Jetta which was parked in that row.  He got caught only because the people in the apartment complex next door saw him doing his thing and, knowing he'd still be at it by the time they got there, called the police.

Our Suburban was one of the vehicles he broke into, so we wound up having to do a lot of repair work - not only to fix what this ass hole broke, but also the "work" of a previous owner that tried to turn the thing into a cut-rate ghetto-blaster of a show car.

(This was the one where I mentioned that the dumb-ass who must have thought of himself as an "eelektrukul enjuneer" wired the stereo amp into the power supply for the trailer brakes instead of rigging a dedicated power supply like you're supposed to for stereo amps. And we're still trying to track down all the gremlins in the electrical system thanks to this retard.)