Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: party buff: willpower - Invincible by Pat Benetar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

link

me, hearing this for the first time in decades a few days ago: "My god, she basically outlined the entire modern Shonen Battle genre back in 1985."

While "invincible" might be putting it a bit strongly, there's no denying that this song can let a group Doug is playing it for turn the tide in a close battle. In rough tabletop terms (general ones, since I'm not familiar with V&V) it lets Doug or any ally in his area of effect roll twice and take the better result any time "grit your teeth and GO HARDER!" can affect the result - morale, resisting compulsions or death effects, fighting through pain and injury, that kind of thing. It's not a berserk state, so they won't keep fighting if the enemy surrenders, or if objective is already secured and there's no reason to keep the field, or even if whoever is in charge of their side decides the battle is lost and they need to retreat (unless they were hotheaded fight manics who'd ignore such orders normally) but they're much less likely to break and be routed. Even so, it's one he needs to use with caution, since fighting on despite pain and injuries means probably making the actual wounds worse to one or another degree - fear and pain serve solid purposes in terms of survival, and short circuiting that can have consequences -- though that never seems to be quite as bad as it could be either. Even if there isn't any evidence he can point to that the song provides any actual protection or healing, mental and physical trauma suffered while under its effects is more likely to be survivable and heal properly even without further powered intervention, commensurate with the level of normal care available to treat them.