Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Step suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's another suggestion for a potential Walk step that could be interesting.
Terri Windling's Borderlands shared world novels and short stories seems a natural for Doug. Its slogan is, after all, "Where magic meets rock and roll".
Additionally, it's a rich world, with plenty of "room" to insert a new story; and it's not being actively developed any more, as far as I know.
I have one of those paperbacks; I forget which one, though. Didn't they have at least a weak tie-in with a novel called "Ariel", by Stephen Boyett, I think? (It was about a boy and his unicorn, set in an Earth where the changeover from tech back to magic had been instantaneous, literally between clock ticks.)

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Don't remember any tie-ins to Ariel, but there was a novel Finder based off one of the short stories, written by Emma Bull, plus two novels, Elsewhere and Never-Never, written by her husband, Wil Shetterly. Fun books. I think, though, that Doug's a bit too powerful for that setting. Most of the characters are street folk, and the magic is either subtle or so powerful that it's hard to focus on. Not much is as in-your-face as Doug's personal gifts.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
That's what I seem to remember. Even in the fae lands "over the border", magic is very subtle.
Besides, I never really got into the setting. (If the fact that I only own one of the books isn't clue enough...)

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.