Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Murmur the Fallen

I wonder how Doug would handle the world of Hunter X Hunter.
It's basically a world that's like ours, only very different. Though it has airplanes, the internet, telephones and what-all, it also has pirate ships and most importantly the magical, martial art "Nen" ability.
It's a world of cheap lives and child killings and killer children.
gon, our hero, is a simple kid who decides to become a Hunter, a supra-legal "hunter" of anything, from rare food to criminals, inspired by his absent father. He meets up with various companions and a dangerous enemy in the brutal Hunter test, a test designed to kill.
There's Kurapica, who is after revenge against a group of robbers who killed his people for their eyes, and Killua, a child of assassins who didn't want to be one himself but doesn't mind casually murdering people who annoy him.
It's a fun series by the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and the husband of Naoko Takeuchi.

The storyline that OAV2/Volume 13-15 is on is the Greed Island storyline, wherein Gon and Killua are "inside" a video game that Gon's father designed, where they are transported to an island that is modelled on rpg games. If you die in there, you die for real, your body transported back to the "real" world.
I think that Doug, regardless of if he is in the greed island storyline or not, would be both intruiged and horrified by this world that has such a harsh philosophy. I'm sure that he'd try to "reform" Killua and maybe even Kurapica, but how successful he might be, I don't know.
-murmur the fallen
"there is only one man who would dare to give me the raspberry---Lone Star!"
That's another one I'm not familiar with. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the pointer, Murmur.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I can't recall the adress, but the website known as "Toriyama's World" has scanslations of the manga, I beleive. Hikaru no Go, Black Cat, Bremen, and several others I don't rememnber specifically also. It should be googleable.
-CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
When I get a bit more free time. Life is just too damned busy...
Thanks for the pointer.

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.