Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: NanoSteps -- the brainstorming thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Grrr.... Okay Google showed the first was
but failed to provide any usefull images.

and does anyone not get that the second is
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
It's actually called Top 10. You can find images here:
Captain Traynor, aka Jetman
Sergeant Kemlo Caesar, aka Hyperdog (It's difficult to tell in the picture, but Kemlo is actually a hyperintelligent Doberman in a humanoid exoskeleton.)
Officer Duane Bodine, aka Dust Devil

Officer Peter Cheney, aka Shock-Headed Peter (No picture, but here's an image.)
Officer Jaafs Macksun, aka Jeff Smax, aka Smax

Officer Robyn Slinger, aka Toybox (This entry is missing a bio. If you're interested, look here.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
For a moment I thought it was Rifts. The dogman and their ability to 'clear things up' via supposedly electronic means just seemed to scream Rifts at me.

Glidergun

The air here was acrid and sooty. I'd awoken to a gang of thugs ransacking my bike, and after trouncing them had decided that I wasn't going to leave it alone any time soon. Despite its obvious technological superiority to everything else I had seen, passersby were not giving it or me very much attention - I got a second glance here and there, but more often an "I've seen weirder things than that" indifference. Judging from the variety of the inhabitants, it was probably justified, too.
"Excuse me."
I turned to face the speaker, and I'm not sure what I noticed first: the the scar tissue that covered his gray skin so thoroughly that it looked like he'd lost a fight with a threshing machine, or the the belt across his bare chest that was studded with menacing spikes of bone and terminated at a multiply-oversized belt buckle made of uncarved bones. His ragged, irregularly-beaded black dreadlocks only added to the effect. "Have you seen a skull recently?"
"Why do you ask? Looking to complete your outfit?" I replied.
"How's he doing, Zippy?" I asked as I brushed the dust off my robes and stepped out of the hot sun and into the tent.

"Douglas!" my sister snapped at me as she looked up. "How many times have I said not to call me that?" She turned her attention back to the pallet in front of her. "Pay no attention to my stupid brother," she said in gentler tones to the sun-burnt, emaciated fellow who lay there. "My name is Tzipporah. Aharon here has a strange sense of humor to go with his strange accent."

"A-a-a-ah-ron?" the refugee I'd found earlier in the day whispered hoarsely, with a clear stammer in his ordeal-roughened voice. "Y-y-y-you c-c-called h-him 'D-d-d-douglas'." I frowned for a moment as he stumbled over the extremely foreign word. He had an accent of his own, one that sounded almost... Egyptian.

She nodded briskly as she bathed his weatherbeaten, bearded face with a cool, damp cloth -- one of my old shirts, from the look of it, unless bronze-age nomads had easy access to "Megadeth" concert Ts. "That is the name he was born with, or so the fool claims" (and here she shot me the snarkiest smirk I'd seen in quite a while) "but we call him 'Aharon' both because he's been teaching us a few things, and because of his hair."

"H-h-h-his h-h-h-hair?"

Zippy shot me another glance, and with an amused snort I pulled off my keffiyeh to reveal my blond mane, which after the years I'd spent here was both sun-bleached and not quite a close-cropped as I usually kept it. The tribe's new guest inhaled suddenly in the usual surprise and shock at what to him must have been an impossibly, maybe even unnatural, hair color.

"It's a sort of pun," I added unnecessarily. When his eyes just got wider, I continued. "I'm a traveler, not from around here; the tribe adopted me a few years back as one of their own when I saved Zippy's..."

"Tzipporah!"

"...Zippy's life." I peered at him as Zippy muttered darkly about stupid adopted brothers and the scorpions they would find in their beds, just you wait and see. Interesting features under all the chap and sunburn and hair. Definite Egyptian influence, but... something else, too. "And what's your name, stranger?"

"S-s-s-setmose," he managed to get out.

Oh yeah, definitely Egyptian. And with that name, probably aristocracy of some sort. Which begged the question, what the hell was he doing all the way out this far in the Sinai?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Blink. Oh, you *did* go there. And well done, too...
Setmose smiled, the obvious effect of too-strong wine on his face. He wriggled his toes in his sandals to draw attention to how red they were.

"Hey, Aharon!" he sloshed. "D'you s'pose these are roses?" He then pitched forward into an undignified heap, soft snores beginning to rise already.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
<blinks> <ROFLs>
-- Bob
---------
Woosh...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Clarification
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Ah. Thanks.

(Never was much of a Gene Kelly? fan, myself... hence the not knowing the reference.)
--
Rob Kelk

You know, it occurred to me Fox's little addition would be a wonderful bit of foreshadowing if I were to actually write the whole steplet, only changing alcohol to some local equivalent of Jimson weed. And then when Setmose comes back from seeing the Burning Bush, Doug's first reaction could be something along the lines of, "Dammit, Mose, did you nosh some Prophet's Leaf again?"
-- Bob
---------
"I do believe, madam," I said to the extraordinarily ugly woman in the antique black dress, "that this is your bailiwick, as the lessons that I teach are of quite a different kind." And I bowed slightly to her.

She inclined her head to me with a slight, snaggle-toothed smile. "Indeed." Then she slammed her walking stick into the ground with a thunderous crack.
-- Bob
---------
I looked at it with some trepidation.

Now, the others were handy, boosting the appropriate song's powers when I held them and played the music at the same time. At least the two I was willing to try out gave those boosts.

But what would this card - "The Song" - do?

I really wanted to find whoever had scattered these around and give him a piece of my mind...
--
Rob Kelk

Snaggletooth, just sails straight overhead. I fail at obscure pop culture references.

The second one, that has to be

Short one. Assuming certain things about certain stories currently in progress elsewhere.
Quote:"Can you help us Colonel? We've sorta lost our United States and we're kinda tryin' to find it again."

-- James Nicoll
Fox, you're right on the money. Peg was watching the end of the second film last night, and I just said to myself, "what the hell."
-- Bob
---------
Dartz Wrote:Snaggletooth, just sails straight overhead. I fail at obscure pop culture references.

The second one, that has to be
Yep. (Although I prefer the Japanese name...)
--
Rob Kelk

I let the polykev intercept the pressure strikes made by the pigtailed girl in pink silks and dropped her with a knockout blow to the head. At the same time, my left arm swept down automatically, snagging the spray of throwing knives flung at me by the bored-looking girl. As she gaped at me, I flung them back.

I didn't get to see how many hit, though, because at that point my danger sense shouted "move!" and I twisted left just in time to avoid a blast of something that looked like a cross between a gas jet and a lightning bolt. It came from the imperious-looking one with the flame-shaped hair ornament.

"Upping the stakes, are we now, kiddo?" I muttered as she dropped back into a combat stance with a snarl. "In that case... System! Lightning's Hand! Play!"
-- Bob
---------
Awww man, is she ever gonna get schooled. Big Grin
blackaeronaut Wrote:Awww man, is she ever gonna get schooled. Big Grin
I don't know. Azula's supposed to be one of the top fire benders in the whole series, second only to her father and uncle. I believe the implication at one point in the series is that she is the youngest to have mastered the lightning. She's also Crazy Smart, and has a tendency to have the Horde o' Mooks, except when she, Mai, and Tai Lee are traveling alone.
Then again, Doug has a doctorate in Sneaky Bastard, and is a distinctly unknown quantity, with abilities that defy the paradigm of the Airbender world. So, not a walk in the park to take her down, but definitely not as hard as some enemies might be.

Ebony the Black Dragon

My brain's trying to put Doug in M*A*S*H, but I keep segfaulting since my stupid brain insists that he'd be doing surgery, and I cannot put something even remotely plausible for him to permanently acquire surgery skills with.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies
Wiredgeek Wrote:My brain's trying to put Doug in M*A*S*H, but I keep segfaulting since my stupid brain insists that he'd be doing surgery, and I cannot put something even remotely plausible for him to permanently acquire surgery skills with.
Not permanently, but Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon" seems a likely choice for four minutes of medical ability. Of course, what he can do in four minutes is limited....

Ebony the Black Dragon

Wiredgeek Wrote:My brain's trying to put Doug in M*A*S*H, but I keep segfaulting since my stupid brain insists that he'd be doing surgery, and I cannot put something even remotely plausible for him to permanently acquire surgery skills with.
   Wasn't there a scene somewhere on the site involving Doug winding up in the MASH setting?
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13