Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A Warhammer 40,000 Step
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

madmageknight

I would like to see such a step, simply because i want to see how Doug would react to a universe where chaos is really really bad and basically everyone is a bastard.  Doug would truly be in a target rich environment.
Considering how busy all the current Stagger writers are, you may have to write this yourself... But it isn't that difficult to write a Stagger.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Two words: Caiaphas Cain.

--Sam

"Now you're a tiny two-headed bluebird who can only speak high-school French!"
Two more:  Ibram Gaunt.  In some ways, Doug might even get along with Gaunt better than with Cain.  Might.  A lot would depend on first impressions here.  But really, W40K would be unhealthy for the Loon in so many ways that he'd need to leave fast.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
How would the 40K divinity mesh with what is known about how divinity works in the Drunkard's Walk multiverse, anyway?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Jorlem Wrote:How would the 40K divinity mesh with what is known about how divinity works in the Drunkard's Walk multiverse, anyway?
Well, judging from some stuff that is in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, the Universe is an island of order in a sea of Chaos anyway (not unlike Exalted, and I think one of the prevalent theories of the physics of the Universe). Parallel dimensions probably don't even touch upon it. 
And I agree with DHBirr, of the two, Doug would probably understand and get along with Ibram Gaunt more than Ciaphas Cain. Not that he wouldn't appreciate Cain's manner, but Gaunt is a fellow soldier, even if he is a commissar. The Ghosts would be a community that Doug would understand, even in the crapsack universe that is Warhammer.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Hmmm, I'm picturing some daemon attempting to possess Doug thinking he's some sort of powerful psyker, only to have it's essence shredded by all the divine blessings on him.

And of course, the other Daemons freaking a bit because the first one was just basicly _killed_ instead of just being banished back to the Warp.

And of course, the other Daemons freaking a bit because the first one was just basicly _killed_ instead of just being banished back to the Warp.
Not all the Marks are simple blessings.  Remember what Paradox sensed about Hexe's Mark in DW5...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Hazard

Doug has what, 8 of those Marks on him by the time DW13 rolls around? All of which are noted as being something along the lines of a 'I like this guy, harm him at your own peril' warning? If some demon actually manages to harm him I'm wondering which of them kills the demon first, never mind harder.
Ebony Wrote:
Jorlem Wrote:How would the 40K divinity mesh with what is known about how divinity works in the Drunkard's Walk multiverse, anyway?
Well, judging from some stuff that is in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, the Universe is an island of order in a sea of Chaos anyway (not unlike Exalted, and I think one of the prevalent theories of the physics of the Universe). Parallel dimensions probably don't even touch upon it. 
And I agree with DHBirr, of the two, Doug would probably understand and get along with Ibram Gaunt more than Ciaphas Cain. Not that he wouldn't appreciate Cain's manner, but Gaunt is a fellow soldier, even if he is a commissar. The Ghosts would be a community that Doug would understand, even in the crapsack universe that is Warhammer.

I only know what I do about 40K via cultural osmosis, but aren't the metaphysics for 40K and Warhammer Fantasy drastically different?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.
Hazard Wrote:Doug has what, 8 of those Marks on him by the time DW13 rolls around? All of which are noted as being something along the lines of a 'I like this guy, harm him at your own peril' warning?
Correct.  They are the Celestial equivalent of a "Mafia Staff Car - Keep-a U Hands Off" bumpersticker.
-- Bob
---------
Except that bumperstickers are just jokes.  Celestial Marks, however....
Edit, entirely too long afterward:  Aaaargh.  Re-reading this, I finally noticed that I'd forgotten to include the "Heh heh heh" and rubbing hands together that'd show I was gloating at the prospect of zapped daemons rather than just being Captain Obvious....
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Correct.
-- Bob
---------
The first time he meets the Inquisition, nasty.

Or if he sees the Emperor. Cue instant playing of "I'm Alive." Hello, instant derail of the WH40K plot!
Oh my god I would pay money for that to happen.