Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Characters *Rough Draft*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shinkaze

Alright after three months of writers block and Real Life interference I've managed to hammer out a few characters and I wanted to post something at least, so here they are. Please note that these are all rough drafts and things are subject to change (especially the ability names), but I figure its a good idea to get some feedback and make sure I haven't
screwed up to much. Also all these characters are as of SOS-con

Alexander "Alex" Stevens
Height:5'
Weight:99lbs.
HairTonguelatinum/Silver
Eyes:Grey

Notable Mundane Attributes
Mad Tinkerer:The Harukaze's self proclaimed "part-time Mad Scientist",Alex's primary hobby (aside from watching anime) is working with handwavium.He also has some mechanical expertise.
When Dad told me to "get a job" I don't think he had this in mind Tonguerimary shareholder in Stevens & Wynn Interplanetary Freight Transport (S.W.I.F.T.), defacto owner of the Harukaze.
Okay, let's do it this way...Decent leadership and organizational skills.

'Wavium Abilities
Don't call me Tessa:Alex's premature biomod has resulted in him (now her) being a dead ringer for Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa.
Anime Body:Alex's new body is in perfect health (asthma,myopia,and other physical defects have been eliminated) but looks as much Like Tessa as possible (short
of looking like a reject from Who Framed Roger Rabbit), and does its best to stay that way (refuses to put on excess fat,hair grows back within days if cut,heals without scarring Ect.). It is also extremely tough (though she's nowhere near bulletproof).
Wizard...but not the Hogwarts kind:Alex's ability to store and process information as well as his reflex speed have been greatly enhanced. Also, parts of alex's brain and nervous system have been altered to function similar to a wireless capable internal cyberdeck.

Quirks
Game BalanceAlex must eat twice as much food as someone her size normally would or her internal cyberdeck doesn't function.
Binary Trance:When communicating with electronic devices Alex is only peripherally aware of her surroundings, Though not so much that she's unable to notice things happening directly in front of her or respond (distractedly) to conversation.Additionally,when connected with machines binary code appears to scroll across her iris' (though the effect is only noticeable up close).
Whispers in the dark:Alex can here electronic signals being broadcast nearby as unintelligible whispers,normally this is barely noticeable backround noise but in places with lots of signals it can occasionally give her headaches.
Why is my voice so High?Alex is still dealing with unintended gender switch and its consequences.
I'm not a kid,Dangit!: Dislikes being mistaken for a kid (for obvious reasons).
Must...Have...Anime!:Obsessed with collecting anime
and anime-related merchandise.
Momentary Dramatics:has a tendency to overly dramatic gestures and moments of drama.
Abstinence:Alex never drinks alcohol.

Faction:Generalist (focused on anime and manga) with ties to the senshi.
Preferred Transport:The Harukaze.

Erik Hill
Height:5'11"
Weight:193lbs.
Hair:Brown
Eyes:Hazel

Notable Mundane Atributes
Chief Engineer:Erik has a degree in engineering and so is the default chief engineer.
Walking Mecha Database:Erik has a near encyclopedic knowledge of fictional mecha.
Not Quite Mad Engineer:while not as passionate about it as Alex,Erik does have several 'wavium projects he works on,as well as working with Alex on team projects.

'Wavium Abilities
None

Quirks
Mechaphile:Erik is obsessed with mecha (especially Giant Robots).
Work in Progress:Erik is building a giant robot...and has been for over a year (he keeps scrapping the design and starting over).
Don't Touch!Erik doesn't like anyone messing with his (incomplete) robot,Period.

Faction:Gearhead, of the macross/robotech persuasion.

William Gray
Height:6'10"
Weight:283lbs.
Hair: Dirty Blond
Eyes:Gold

Notable Mundane Attributes
Jack of All Trades...:Will always seems to have a skill or experience relevant to the current situation (but see Quirks).
Green Thumb:Will has a real talent for working with plants and has a small garden on the Harukaze.
Music soothes the savage beast:Will has a fairly extensive and eclectic music collection which he listens to often.
Gamer:Will enjoys playing most games,anything from tabletop to console, and is a reasonably skilled player.

'Wavium Abilities
BIG Kitty:Will's biomod has apparently turned him into a Kilrathi, with all the attendant physical benefits.
Fighting Insinct:His biomod mod has also given Will an instintive knowledge of how to fight in his new form, though he is still integrating this into his own modest combat skills.

Quirks
Carnivore:Will requires significant amounts of meat in his diet.
Competitive Instinct:Along with an instinctive ability to fight Will has also gained an instinctive desire to test himself in physical competition.
Predator:Being,essentially,a seven foot tall anthropomorphic tiger,Will has a tendency to intimidate people,at least at first.
Big and Tall doesn't quite cut it:Because of his size and build,Will has difficulty finding off the shelf clothing that fits properly.
...Master of None:While possessing many skills,Will has more than basic proficiency in only a few.

Faction:Generalist.

Well that's it for now,I'm not really happy with some of the wording but at least I got it out.

Shinkaze

Wow, almost three weeks with no comments? Are the characters really that bad?
Nah, we're just going though a slow patch the last month or so.
Moving on, the characters look pretty okay to me. The only thing that gives me any pause is Alex's cyberdeck; it's edging up a little against the established character lines. I'm inclined not to make a fuss, but I'd really like to see it in action just to be sure.
Anyway, nice ideas, welcome to the crew, here's your complimentary towel and fifth of hard liquor.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
The only thing that gives me any pause is Alex's cyberdeck; it's edging up a little against the established character lines. I'm inclined not to make a fuss, but I'd really like to see it in action just to be sure.
I don't have a problem with the cyberdeck, myself... as long as Alex isn't shown to be as good at hacking systems as Trigon. That would be stepping on Griever's toes.
Since the Professor, A.C., and Noah all have assistants who can hack systems with a thought (if not as well as Trigon can), I have no problem with a major character having the same ability.
Quote:
Anyway, nice ideas, welcome to the crew, here's your complimentary towel and fifth of hard liquor.
New writers get complementary towels? I see the Douglas Adams fen are starting to gain influence...
Hey, why's that towel say "Stellvia Hotel" on it?
-Rob Kelk
"I heard there was a trial run of soylent blue, but they had to cease production when the George Carlin ran out..."
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

CattyNebulart

Seems ok to me. Welcome aboard.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
I've just re-read these and the main problem I can see is William Grey's Carnivore quirk. Fresh Meat is a rarity in Fenspace, so unless frozen or dried is sufficient this will be a major problem.

Feinan

Actually, I'm not sure that it would be that big of a problem. Wasn't somebody working on producing cloned meat? I seem to recall that being mentioned in the section that mentioned the rarity of fresh meat, and I think the problem they were having was filtering out handwavium from whatever they were using to produce it. But for somebody who's already biomodded, that shouldn't be a problem. Something could certainly be worked out....
Quote:
Wasn't somebody working on producing cloned meat?
Yep...
http://fnord.sandwich.net/fenwiki/doku. ... foodstuffs
-Rob Kelk
"I heard there was a trial run of soylent blue, but they had to cease production when the George Carlin ran out..."
Mark Jones, 13 Jan 2008
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Shinkaze

Ok, This little scenelet basically jumped me and demanded to be written. If it does make it into an actual fic it will be heavily edited ( mostly because I'm using an old draft of the A.I. character). Also, this was thrown together very quickly ( for me at least) and hasn't had much in the way of error checking, you have been warned[Image: wink.gif]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a scene strait out of a mad scientists laboratory, which is appropriate, because that's what it was. The lighting
was dim, and the tables lining the walls were covered with papers, computers, and unidentified machines, many of them seemingly unfinished. In the center of the room stood a man, encased within a plexiglass cylinder, which was situated atop a metal base. Wires and tubes were attached to both the top and bottom of the cylinder, extending to a row of tanks and computers set up against the right wall.
While scenes like this weren't uncommon in fenspace, things aboard the Harukaze were generally more orderly. This room, however, belonged to Alex Stevens, captain of the Harukaze and self-proclaimed mad scientist. Alex also happened to be the man standing inside the cylinder at the moment. "Is everything ready Ami?" asked Alex, who stood almost naked, his modesty preserved only by the harness securing him to the inside of the cylinder. He was a tall man, heavyset and somewhat overweight, with short brown hair and equally brown eyes.
One of the computer monitors by the right wall flicked on, revealing the head and shoulders of a woman who looked remarkably like Ami Mizuno. "Yes, everything is ready Alex, but are you sure you want to do this?" Ami, the Harukaze's A.I. asked. "After all, you weren't planning on biomodding yourself for another few years yet at least." Alex looked sullen "Yeah, well after what happened, now seems like a good time." now he flashed a crooked grin at her "Besides, Science waits for no man! Now, since everythings ready, lets get started."
Ami stared at him for a moment, then nodded "alright, beginning start up sequence." There was a rumbling sound
from the tubes attached to the cylinder, and a murky seagreen liquid, a mixture of water and green handwavium,
began to rapidly fill the chamber as Alex affixed a breathing
mask to his face. The liquid rapidly reached the top of the cylinder and Alex gave Ami a thumbs up to show he was ready. "Now injecting handwavium." Ami stated as small amounts of handwavium were drawn from several different
batches situated in the tanks along the wall, then injecting
through several intravenous tubes attached to Alex in a steady drip. Ami waited several minutes as Alex slowly drifted to sleep "Running programs." she said, as the rest of the of the monitors along the right wall came alive, some displaying vital signs, some running episodes of various anime, speakers pumping the sound directly into the cylinder, and the rest showing other, less comprehensible, information.
Ami sighed as she took in everything in the room "Well
I guess thats it than." she said to the sleeping figure suspended within the cylinder "We'll see how it all turns out
in a few hours, sweet dreams Alex." Then her monitor switched off, leaving Alex to sleep through the changes to come.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And now it looks like I have to get going, so I'll have to respond to all the previous posts when I get back.

Shinkaze

Sorry this took so long, I've been having computer problems that kept me from posting. I should probably reword the Wizard... ability to make it
clearer, if it helps, the ability was based off of the wizard character type from the RPG Cybergeneration. Alex's hacking ability isn't nearly as
good as Trigon's (in fact , Cobalt's new character Lebia can do everything he can do, and probably much better since she's an A.I.[Image: frown.gif].) so thats not
a problem. It doesn't matter what kind of meat William is getting, so long as its real meat and he gets it regularly the quirk is satisfied.