Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Not To Be Taken Seriously
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
...unless you really want to.
What if handwavium wasn't created by any means so far proposed, least of all by Haruhi?
What if Fenspace Earth was an "ordinary, uninteresting" world visited by Doug Sangnoir, and handwavium was an unknown and unintended consequence of his visit?
(Momentarily envisions the "Girls, Girls, Girls" crew opening a gate to the main concourse of the Stellvia and asking if anyone's met Doug... in the middle of OGJ...)

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.

CattyNebulart

ah but god works in misterious ways so how would you know that it wasn't Haruni even if it was Doug?
Anyway the official explanation still is no-one knows.
Still that shouldn't stop people from blaming Doug.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Herr Bad Moon

I don't know about anybody else but I try to blame Doug for three improbable things before breakfast Big Grin ---------------
-Jon
Leo (July 23-Aug. 22)
The population density of Wyoming is very low, but that doesn't mean the people there aren't also out to kill you.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"
Gosh-darn-it, Bob, now you've gone and given away exactly where Noah got his gravtech from. I suppose I'll have to actually write the Stagger, now.
Quote:
(Momentarily envisions the "Girls, Girls, Girls" crew opening a gate to the main concourse of the Stellvia and asking if anyone's met Doug... in the middle of OGJ...)
Oooooohhhhhhhh... I can work with this... (No, seriously. Did I mention that Yoriko knows at least a little bit about most of the 'scure fandoms, including DW? Edit, after re-reading this thread: And Kohran doesn't?)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Rob, if you're serious, I'll send you the current list of the GGG cast. It's changed a bit from the earlier versions.

-- Bob
---------
Sure, I'm serious - it'll make a pleasant change from "With Liberty And Great Justice...". You know my private address.
Do you want me to send you the draft for concept-checking, once it's written?

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Please do, although much about "GGG" is still nebulous.
As soon as I can assemble it, I'll send you the cast list with the hows and whys and what will arguably be even more spoiler info for future DW stuff than you've already seen. Sheesh, just some of the girls' identities will be spoilers...

-- Bob
---------
While looking through some of the songs that are in Doug's Arsenal but aren't yet in the stickies (mea culpa), I realized that there's one scene that simply must be written in a "Doug visits Fenspace" stagger. So I wrote that scene first.
It's in Doug's POV:

The least I could do for my hosts in exchange for the songs they'd given me was to clear up one of their mysteries. I picked up a lump of gelled handwavium and concentrated on it. "System, load song 'Who Made Who'. Play song."
When I regained consciousness, I was flat on my back in what appeared to be a small infirmary. "Are you all right?" asked Yoriko.
"I think so..." I sat up, then layed down again. "Except for a horrid ringing sensation in my head when I move."
The door opened and closed again, and I heard Mr. Scott's voice. "How's our guest doing?"
"I'm awake, but my head hurts. What happened?"
"Damned if I know. I've never seen handwavium do that before. I hope I never see it happen again." He was shaking his head when he stepped into my field of view. "The goop... imploded, I think. At least, we can't find any of the lump you were holding when you collapsed. But I have to ask: what were you doing with it?"
"I thought I was doing you a favor. I have a song in my collection that tells me who or what created what I'm concentrating on."
"And you tried using it on the handwavium, didn't you?" He whistled. "That's the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question in this universe... What did you find out?"
I frowned. "Nothing."

Oh, yes - this is post-DW X, so Doug's learned about transfictionality. Hence Noah's casual mention of "this universe".
(And did folks spot the pop-culture reference? It isn't an easy one unless you're a particular sort of Canadian...)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Kokuten

*sniff*
smells like a bob and doug mackenzie hangover reference?
Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Wasn't there an old gameshow called 'the $64,000 Pyramid'?__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.

Kokuten

I didn't think $64,000 Pyramid, or whatever it was called, was canadian - I have distinct memories of watching it in southern Idaho, of all places. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Wasn't there an old gameshow called 'the $64,000 Pyramid'?
*Sigh* Kids these days. No sense of history. Even recent history.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Oh, yeah... I had completely forgotten that I'd referenced "The $64,000 Question". I was thinking of the other pop-culture reference - the one that only fans of the old "Royal Canadian Air Farce" radio show would pick up on.
(I'll let this sit for a few hours, to give any Canadian old fogeys out there a chance to spot it...)

Edit: I suppose I should explain it now, just in case I don't go ahead with the story and someone else wants to use the snippet. It's a recurring bit from Dave Broadfoot's stories of his character "Sgt. Renfrew of the RCMP", as told irregularly on the "Royal Canadian Air Farce" radio show.
Mr. Broadfoot told the Renfrew stories as first-person-viewpoint stories. At least once per story, Renfrew would recount doing something unbelievably stupid and completely avoidable (like jumping out a window in order to land on his horse without checking that the horse was still there, or reading a waitress' nametag and asking what the other one's called.) The very next line always began "When I regained consciousness,..."

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Whoa. I think even Doug's pop culture databank might draw the line at obscure Canadian references, Rob.
Which is not to say that I don't like it -- I do, it's a perfect kind of ref for Doug to make. I'd have to figure out when he got enough exposure to internalize it for quoting, though...
The thing is, though, this idea of mine was to have Fenspace happen after Doug departs, unaware of what he has wrought, as usual.
Oh, and I haven't forgotten the list of GGG participants. I've been sick the last few days, and have only sporadically worked on it. I am, however, up to DW11... so I'm almost done.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Whoa. I think even Doug's pop culture databank might draw the line at obscure Canadian references, Rob.
But it's such a good line...
Quote:
Which is not to say that I don't like it -- I do, it's a perfect kind of ref for Doug to make. I'd have to figure out when he got enough exposure to internalize it for quoting, though...
Presumably one of those many untold steps between DW III and DW IV was in a 1970s-1980s Canada, and Doug was so bored he started listening to public radio on the weekends just to pass the time...
Quote:
The thing is, though, this idea of mine was to have Fenspace happen after Doug departs, unaware of what he has wrought, as usual.
Ah, right... but we've gotten into such a quarrel over Haruhi that I didn't want to muddy the waters further by presenting a conflicting hypothesis for 'wavium - especially as a fait accomplai.
But there's always the possibility that Doug had been to Fenspace before - a classical drunkard's walk occasionally doubles back on itself, so why shouldn't this Drunkard's Walk do the same thing? It's not as if there aren't enough Gate songs proposed in The Game for this to be practical.
Quote:
Oh, and I haven't forgotten the list of GGG participants. I've been sick the last few days, and have only sporadically worked on it. I am, however, up to DW11... so I'm almost done.
Okay, thanks. I assume people don't show up from Staggers, or else there's going to be far too many characters to keep track of. (And the thought of characters from Crossroads, A Day In The Life, and Audience Participation interacting with each other, let alone the rest of the motley crew, hurts my brain...)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I assume people don't show up from Staggers, or else there's going to be far too many characters to keep track of.
Well, not in my GGG stories, no. But... my current roster still has Kaolla Su and Mirai from Moldiver, and I have no idea how they got there, since I don't have Steps in those worlds... and I was going to encourage you to throw in anyone you wanted, if you cared to. I'm semi-considering that some folks join the parade, ride for a couple of stops, and then get off, sort of like Companions to the Doctor, and that the girls hit several worlds that Doug didn't or which he visited but at "uninteresting" times.
Quote:
(And the thought of characters from Crossroads, A Day In The Life, and Audience Participation interacting with each other, let alone the rest of the motley crew, hurts my brain...)
What, you don't see that as a challenge?

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
... and I was going to encourage you to throw in anyone you wanted, if you cared to.
Hmmmmm... maybe one of the roleplaying game characters I've created for games which haven't yet started might like to go for a trip. (Now, how would a Bright Lilim of Creation or that pixie mecha pilot I statted out a while ago react to Fenspace... or vice versa?)
Quote:
What, you don't see that as a challenge?
Yes, but probably one beyond my abilities. At least, until I actually have a chance to watch Rocky Horror while sober...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
Yes, but probably one beyond my abilities. At least, until I actually have a chance to watch Rocky Horror while sober...
Trust me on this one, mate: Rocky Horror sober is not worth the effort.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Since I've posted a short scene from Part One, it's only fair to post a short scene from Part Two. Specifically, the spoiler-free first scene...

25 May 2013
11:19 GMT
Stellvia main operations room

"Commander, there's an alert on my screen that I've never seen before."
Noah walked over to the duty officer's desk and looked at his console. "Oh, bloody hell." Then he thumbed the intercom on. "Engineering, there's a DQS in the Main Concourse! Seal it off, stat! Nobody gets in or out until I get there!" He switched off the intercom and turned back to the duty officer. "Full comms blackout - all channels, all frequencies, cellphone, radio and interwave - starting right now. Jam anything you can't turn off. Deny launching or docking permission to all ships, including emergency vehicles. No exceptions to any of this without my express approval. That's my approval, not Ms. Nikaido's or anyone else's."
"Yes, sir. What's a DQS?"
"It's what we're trying to keep a lid on," answered Noah as he and Yoriko ran out the doorway. What he didn't add was, because if Suzumiya finds out about this, she'll come back here so fast, she'll Break the Limit.
As the duty officer proceeded to seal off the station, he couldn't help but think that he'd never seen his employer so worried.

Cut to the Girls showing up to the amazement of everyone on the Main Concourse, followed by Noah herding them into a conference room and giving them Stellvia IDs (thus introducing everyone), followed by the main story.
Needless to say, the lockdown of Stellvia won't go unnoticed (and not just because it's in the middle of wartime). Since the Epsilon Blade is confined to its landing slip and the Kobayashi Maru is probably on maneuvers at the time, I suspect World Watch One would likely be first on the scene to investigate and offer disaster relief... (Ebony, do you want to write a discussion scene between Blackstone and Noah, while Buckaroo is busy speaking with the Girl from the Pests and Hanoi-ances Step?)

Now for the "meta" stuff.
This, of course, is why Noah and Haruhi have their falling-out; I can't possibly keep the Canonical Doubt of Who Haruhi Is going when Skuld shows up, unless Skuld never meets Haruhi.
While I'm plotting out the main story, I have to ask everyone whether it's okay to have a subplot where one of the mage/meta/Power/other Girls gets her hands on some handwavium - and changes it (unconsciously or otherwise). I'm not asking for Weapons-Grade Handwavium; I'm thinking of easing some of the restrictions on biomods, with the Supers faction overjoyed with the results. (How overjoyed? That's up to everyone else...)
BTW, does anybody need to be told what "DQS" stands for?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk

I can guess from context what it's supposed to be, but not what the letters actually stand for...

-- Bob
---------

Kokuten

Quote:
BTW, does anybody need to be told what "DQS" stands for?
I do.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
DQS = Douglas Quincy Sangnoir (Doug's full name as revealed in chapter 15 of Step 2)__________________
I bet that if you cooked an elephant, you'd have a lot of leftovers.

Kokuten

oh dear me.
a DQS event occuring in Fenspace, could have a ton of consequences, namely.. "Hey, Doug, try this song out"
and.. "Oooh, here, we gotta try some of this Honey on you helmet crystals.. "
Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
DQS = Douglas Quincy Sangnoir (Doug's full name as revealed in chapter 15 of Step 2)
Okay, Doug's initials were the last thing I was expecting as a disaster code. I was trying to parse it as "dimensional quantum (something)".

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
a DQS event occuring in Fenspace, could have a ton of consequences, namely.. "Hey, Doug, try this song out"
Actually, it's not Doug. It's the cast of the parallel series, Girls, Girls, Girls -- see the message that started this thread.
I don't know how many of them, from how far along the storyline, although I suspect that Rob can't resist using all of them, which means Fenspace is one of their last stops before they actually reach Warriors' World.

-- Bob
---------
Pages: 1 2 3 4