Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [discussion] Surfing with the Alien - comments here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the revised versions of the story to align with later continuity developments, I'm splitting out the story posts to a story only thread, and will provide links back to this thread for comments.
The new thread is:
p202.ezboard.com/fdrunkar...=187.topic
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
stripped to new thread
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
Quote:
(smirk) Prose and paragraphs enoguh for you, Griever? The first one was really just an idea outline to check for basic compatability.
*nice guy pose* Yosh! This story shines with the explosive power of youth! Go boldly forward and with hard work, you shall achieve greatness! */nice guy pose*
Serious coolness factors present in this, and you managed to do the Transformer thing without falling prey to knocking off The Hammer. Congrats, you just about made my day.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Sirrocco

Nice. Very, very nice. Thank you. That was really cool.
One last little request, though? Could I ask that the biomod take some of your initial bodymass with it (particularly including the brain)? It can run off of energon just like the rest of the ship no problem, and heck, given the funky handwavium, by now it's probably taken on mostly metallic properties, but Reshaping The Brain is a whole lot easier to handwave as a biomod than The Brain's Dead, The Soul Moved.
Actually, I'd kind of forgotten Hammer - should I rename Marty, do you think?
Moving the brain, OK, it's easy enough to add.
I want to insert "but mostly, small minded Baptists" in the relevant spot, since niether are prerequisite to the other.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
Quote:
Actually, I'd kind of forgotten Hammer - should I rename Marty, do you think?
Bah. What're you McFly, chicken?
Nah. Leave it be.
-Griever
When tact is required, use brute force. When force is required, use greater force.
When the greatest force is required, use your head. Surprise is everything. - The Book of Cataclysm

Sirrocco

Minor beta-ing bits:
- a few spelling errors, lkely typos. Easy enough to ignore, and not enough to pick through, but it might be worth running a spellchecker.
- (from the microwave: how much it takes to make an energon cube) kilowatts are a measure of power. Energy is measured in kilowatt-hours. You probably want to do a search on kilowatt to make sure you can fix all of the references.
FWIW, I find myself occasionally rereading the Saving Shuko scene, just for the warm fuzzies. I love that bit where he spools himself up to heroism. Love I say! Love!
... I knew there was something off with the power stuff, but not quite what. Not having handy internet access to check on things is a real pain in the butt.
The Shuko scene is definately my favorite part, too. (VBG)
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
More notes for the revised edition:
The battle mentioned should probably NOT be the Boskone arc finale - rather rather a midpoint, where the Heroic Space Patrol discovers that as bad as they thought things were, it's worse. I specifically chose the VF-2MS from Macross II to be Convoy's wingmate's ride because it has a big horkin' melee weapon built into the design on the assumption that the battle was in the relatively near future and overall weapons technology had not seen any major jumps.
(For those unfamiliar with the admittedly rather forgettable Macross II: Start with a VF-1J, but move the head lasers to over-the-shoulder mounts, so the head itself is more streamlined and feminine. Add a visor-helmet thing that retracts onot the back as well to ride between them, and generally feminize the design. Enlarge the wings by about 50% and rejoint them to hand angel-style from the back of B-mode, with a couple of auxiliary thrusters in pods on the trailing edges. More aux thrusterts line the outer side of the lower legs, rotated to be the rear in G-mode IIRC, protected by three or four big "dragon scale" covers, and hang a tapering lance off the pilot's strong-side arm that's about 2/3 the B-mode height, or have it on the nose on F-mode. Make the whole thing about 35ft tall, and there you have Maike's Metal Siren. The anime version packed in SRMs like an Alpo - I mean, a L.E.G.I.O.S.S. - had (completely unfeasable, even before accounting for where you might pretend the ammo came from) collapsable autocannon on the hips, and some kind of enrgy field/bolt effect for the lance, but fenspace weapons tech isn't there, though if a powerplant can be persueded to drive them the laser gunpods are at least an outside possibility for later.)
As for myself, I'm a big GaoGaiGar fan as well as Transformers, so I'm having trouble deciding between an oversized (Starsaber) sword and just getting SIF generators for my arms. A giant squeakie hammer is pretty much right out, no matter cool "HIKARI NI NARA!" is as a battle cry, however.
Next, I'm thinking part of Gnarlycurl's income for 'Danelaw purposes could come from a deal with Takara to have Wave Convoy as a character in another new version of the Transformers show, with promotional appearances (in a temporary red/blue/silver paint job) on whichever island the Japanese set aside as a trade zone, the original body design being enough to make the trademark wrangling break the other way from Bandai's murmurings about suing Gundam-builder Gearheads. Opinions? If this is judged reasonable, I could see a similar deal with the Supers and $COMICS_COMPANY as well... but all in all, I'd expect Naoko Takeuchi (or whatever the Sailor Moon authoress's name is) to have already quit her day job to join the Venus Terraforming Project, she being on the whole hip and with it as fandom goes. There's no question whether they'd welcome her with open arms and shining heart-shaped eyes.
Hmm... what other celebrities might have uprooted to fenspace or at least made significant visits, do you think? A fair number of science fiction authors are likely, probably any of the Trek and B5 show actors who care enough about their appearances to come to 'cons... The dude who played Worf almost assuredly has his own hopped-up SC-class docked at Starbase One, even if he only gets up there for vacations - he owns a Sabre (Maybe a Suber Saber, but I think the original) jet fighter IRL that he uses to get in touch with his inner astronaut. He's cool.
Probably the biggest obstacle to actors with active careers, even if they were willing to ditch them, is that hanging out with the fractions who'd most flip over having them would be annoying as all hell, either for the guy who can't get a minute away from the fans or for the less-fanatic fans who have to put up with his overweening ego if the first is not seen as a problem. Those who've aged noteably since their most famous appearances or who've retired to the talk show and convention circuit might be a bit more open to the idea.
Actually, with the restrictions on 'wavetech in the Danelaw, I could see effects houses and animation studios moving to orbit, in order to take advantage of the opwer of 'waved computers for special effects creation. I mean, if hardtech can make FF7:Advent Children, how crazy can you get with a few dabs of magic goo here and there in your workstation? That's even before considering the ever-popular Virtual Idol meme.
Further, I came up with a useful way of thinking about the difference between normal 'wave and my batch - the normal stuff forms "armor paint" like KITT's Molecularly Bonded Shell from Knight Rider (and Marty's getting a makeover and his custom ride will be that) while "Seibertron handwavium" acts like (waves hand) some kind of low-level constructor nanites or something, moving through the item it's applied to and changing it into Super Alloy Z, called by myself Cybertronium.
What do you think, Sirs?

- CD EXTREEEEEEEEME!
ETA: The brain thing - I changed my mind yet again (no pun intended), but I hope having a separate, Super Robot Life Form Transformer laser core/brain and the biomod producing a machine interface when the body started failing before it could finish upgrading it to Not Dying and Spiffy to transfer the mental processes through into it before the bio-brain died will suffice for your suspension of disbelief, Sirocco.
Yes, this means there's no human genetic material for even the Professor's magic doohickey to work with, but I actually had a plan for that from the beginning, part of which is slated to be revealed as my character's major personal plot development at the SOS-dan Con.SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--

Sirrocco

Well... I don' like it... but you write too well for me to argue too loud. I *am* a bit curious why you'd have put *in* a "laser core/brain" device, if you were building a transtector - and what it would have been doing *before* you up and died. The other is more of a philosophical issue. I trust persistence of sentience across time in a brain. I don't trust it in Personality Transfer. There's also a bit of "They didn't have time to save the body, but they did have time for a complete save-the-personality brain scan? Bwah?
If you were just trying to avoid the use of The Breeding Thing, that's *easy* - starting with the possibility that the armor might just be Too Darn Thick; continuing through the fact that if there *was* anything with a genetic code, it would likely be part of your *brain* and, um, no? and finishing with the possibility that the result might be effectively entirely metallic *anyway*. (Heck, "turn into laser core" could *be* what Seibertronian handwavium does to brains.)
...but it *is* your story, and your character, and your story is good enough to do *far* more than this, so if that's the way you want to go, then go with it.
...and I really *do* use way too many *s.
KITTEN?
Like, Knight Industries Two Thousand Eighty-Nine?
Oh, how I wish she could be a black 2009 Chevy Camaro.... with a wicked awesome Boston accent!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Sirocco - I had plans made before The Breeding Thing came up, and while "I" may have set out with ideas of building a transtector, you'll note the lack of an armored pilot suit, or curling up into a squared-off ball and slotting in somewhere, to answer your questions.
It's not so much that there wasn't TIME to have done a viable Dying to Not Sying, it's just that due to certain circumstances the fact that he was not just painfully injured but dying never really sank in, even as he passed out, and the strongest focus he had as the biomod began was during the rescue. Since the 'wave is wierd, yes, but doesn't generally show any intelligence of its own, the first it would know is when things start shutting down from oxygen deprivation, not having any supplied by the blood - and by then, it has already done a lot of work on the nervous system as a foundation for Hammer-ish roboticization. A good lot of the stuff has also puddled around mixed with blood and energon outside the body too, ready to be put to use.
So, it links into the existing computer net and tries to make the bio brain into a fourth cluster node, spread the load, and move out before total hardware failure, but even 'waved the existing cores aren't compatible. The Wave Convoy head is right nearby, though, has a mockup of a half-way-point brain, check the host's memories - oh, hey, that actually fits, let's make the laser core real, and capable of interfacing with both the biological brain and pure computers, now there's a hardware node that the host's mental processes can be migrated to over the network, and just in time.
So no, it's not a brain scan per se, it's a continuing process migrated across two sets of hardware uninterrupted - that was what I'd meant to have all along, but didn't go into enough detail I guess. The personality imprint(s) he'll leave in the Matrix will indeed be dead when it reaches the next bearer, and couldn't (for example) be copied out into a new laser core to be resurrected - but once enough real bearers (not the imagined puppet personalities of the cartoon characters) have carried it, it will begin to be able to incept new Transformer children in prepared laser cores. That's ... I can't even give a year figure, because transformers are all but immortal, Alpha Trion was older in the cartoon that modern science says the universe itself is, but at least a dozen Autobot Supreme Commanders away, and so irrelevant in current story time.
Viable laser cores, BTW, are one of those things that a careful crafter can get to work with two or three tries. They never incept on their own, however, and if a mind could be programmed from scratch it wouldn't be such a problem for the 'danes trying to make AI... no, the mind still has to come from somewhere else, and no one has yet been willing to exsanguinate themselves while injecting energized handwavium at the same time to try duplicating his lucking into it (and well they should not, because that's one of the irreproducible things, as is the Matrix.)
Just know that when I say Super Robot Life Form Transformer, I really mean it. All of it.
...and sweet kami, after all that, you say I write well! (big grin) NOW I feel confident in continuing, knowing that someone who vocally disagrees about a number of things still thinks it's of good quality.
Foxboy: If you say so, though I don't get the reference unless you mean Faith of BtVS. The best acronym I'd come up with myself was actually KITTen, K. I. 2010, for the year she incepted, considering "KARR" too generic and having too much bad baggage, not to mention too unfeminine. Faith would have an appropriately badass attitude to go with the more sinister aspects of the original character, and yet still be so completely not the AI you'd expect to find in there. Hmm.
--
spot on, CD, since I was suggesting the accent to counterpoint the Boston Brahmin used by William Daniels for the original KITT.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Hmmm... Beige is obviously right out, so should the upholstry be BLAZIN'! HOT! PINK! or a more traditional scarlet? I don't see Faith/KITTEN as a silky whites kind of girl.
And that is so very much a Faith way to put it, too. Must remember that.
--
Red. Has to be red.
Pink is girly, see. Goes with unicorns and flowers.
Not hot monkey sex or mad, mad violence.
Pink is delicate, not bold.
So very not Faith.
Ja, -n

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"

Sirrocco

It is worth noting that if you are going to find some sort of weapon, and want it to be handwaved, it will have to be improvised. I'm thinking this means not so much on the Starsaber sword, unless you're intending to just leave it as plain (well, Seibertronian, but otherwise plain) metal. I have no idea what SIF generators are and cannot comment ont hem. Also, please do remember, as referenced earlier, you are *already* one of the most (if not straight flat the most) powerful combatants of your size class in the written universe. You really don't need any significant battle upgrades.
Well, yeah, a sword is a thinnish slab of metal with an edge. I'm not asking for a lightsaber, Starsaber was a mental wire-cross. I meant the sword used by Victory Saber, though without the detachable hilt/jet nose thing - and the mention of assuming "no major weapon tech upgrades" by the time of the battle was for the setting, not Wave Convoy - as you say, the way things work out right now being at the upper edge of SC-class and having arms to punch with or hold a pointy stick is the pinnacle of miltech, which is also why (again) I picked the VF-2MS with its lance for a wingmate. If someone gets a reproducable, effective ranged weapon system into production, that would be different.
"SIF" is just an acronym for "Structural Integrity Field" and I don't think he even needs them on second thought, having already mentioned unusually tough contruction and the ability to lock the finger joints so the actuaotrs don't get damaged.
"Forming a spear point" as mentioned is just a shape the fingers are held in - with your hand flat, shift the tips of your index and fourth fingers under the tip of your second, then the thumb and pinky under those so your hand is a roughly triangular arrowhead shape. Painful to potentially deadly if you jam it into somone's gut and under the edge of the ribcage hard enough, real martial artists who've done body hardening and strength training can put it through the abdominal wall of someone who hasn't or is unprepared.
Before you get too excited about my character's combat potential, though, remember that it's taken nowhere near the canon extremes - Optimus Prime picked up an entire oil tanker overhead and threw it at Megatron in... I think The Ultimate Doom pt2? ... and on defense, Megatron survived being at the heart of an explosion that knocked Cybertron out of LEO to head back out into space in pt3. Either would be far, far out of place in the Fenspace setting, of course, which is WHY I didn't go anywhere near those extremes. Also, recall that he's too big to effectively bring force to bear against man-sized targets unless they're EVA, on a planet surface, or in a big enough chamber to let him swing his legs around efffectively in the Gear Fighter Dendoh style.
Dendoh (note legs - mine have four segments since they're the rear tires, but are quite similar):
www.evilnet.net/~jhfong/p...index.html
www.hlj.com/product/SKG30507

- CD

ETA: And you know what? The only usefull thing in this post is the pictures. Never mind me, I'm just in a strange mood.SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--

CattyNebulart

Well I finnaly got around to reading this and it is fantastic. It even used the Professor as he is meant to be used.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
I'm going to have to revise this again; I finally got around to the computer modelling my local-self would have used for prototyping, and realised that the transformation as written/drawn ends up with funky proportions without the inherent Budianskyization of, well, drawing it instead of moving model parts around.
Before that, though, I did three pages of comic, of the saving-Shuko scene that's the best of it In My Holy Opinion (as a Discordian Pope, of course it's holy!) Trouble is, as noted they use the old character design, and having now seen the new Transformers movie the really cool things I drew my guy doing look like direct lifts of a couple of New Prime's scenes. D'oh. Anyone interested in seeing them anyway? I can't post tonight, but next week if there's interest.
- CD
--
Quote:
Before that, though, I did three pages of comic, of the saving-Shuko scene that's the best of it In My Holy Opinion (as a Discordian Pope, of course it's holy!) Trouble is, as noted they use the old character design, and having now seen the new Transformers movie the really cool things I drew my guy doing look like direct lifts of a couple of New Prime's scenes. D'oh. Anyone interested in seeing them anyway? I can't post tonight, but next week if there's interest.

I'm always up for seeing new & different views of our little project.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:
Anyone interested in seeing them anyway?
By all means! The more media, the merrier!

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Had trouble with my SD card reader last week, so it took longer than expected to get these up - and I have a couple more now (not comic pages) that haven't been scanned.
I'll note that the colors are a bit wonky in them because I was using the colored pencils that came under my hand for the most part, but I think it gets the point across.
s113.photobucket.com/albu...ace001.jpg
s113.photobucket.com/albu...ace002.jpg
s113.photobucket.com/albu...ace003.jpg
The new truck mode is essentially unchanged visually, and the only major difference from these drawings is having the wheels up on the outside of the shoulder joint but still inside the fender/stacks, though the ankles are considerably different now and there's a stubby silver cone on the back of each wrist - the left one opens like Dick Tracy's wrist radio and holds the camera he uses for video conferencing, the right opens so it faces along the axis of the arm outwards and has multiband, long range communications antennas in the dish side. There may or may not be a pair of hip-danglies like the recent Macross variable fighters, housing a winch and grapple launchers - they're in the current legs, but there may not be space again in the revisions - the truck mode was longer than I wanted, which is why I'm still messing around with the legs.
Speaking of which, here's a snapshot from Blender, of the new design. I framed it to exclude the left hand and legs because there is no left hand, and I'm redoing the legs. The kind of scaffolding thing over the face is a deformation lattice for animating expressions, though with the mask closed there's not a lot to see - the spike off the back of the helmet is a lever to operate the mask, as the model is designed as if for a Voyager-class toy - though with the trailer I have in the newest unscanned drawings, it would be more like Supreme - basically, take G1-Japans Star Convoy, add G1-Europe Thunderclash's (Machine Wars Optimus Prime, a KB Exclusive in the US) engine pods on top, and instead of a little bitty cab that turns into Star Convoy's forearms (yes, the entire truck cab - the trailer is THAT big) have a front/chest slot like G1-Jpn Star Saber, or TF:Armada Overload for Wave Convoy's truck form. It's not a functional combat unit, too bulky and uncoordinated and poorly articulated at the ankles, and in continuity it's owned by Takara's Marketing and Promotion department, but it probably looks more like original Prime than Wave Convoy himself all things considered, though with big ol' treads hanging off the outside of each upper arm. Still, you can't be a Convoy without a trailer, and since Powermaster Prime that pretty much also requires an armor mode. The practical use of it is that it has two airlocks with standard 6ft Trekkie docking rings and an engine room/crew compartment big enough to stand up and stretch in the upper forward trailer/Wave Amplifier Convoy backpack, and the mostly dead-space legs can be converted into very large cola/uncola tanks to fuel the trekkie warp coils hidden inside the dummy jet engines. Takara Marketing is going to send their staff alien to meet the Miranda coming back, you see, espescially with the revisions to that concept and my plot plans stemming from the suggested name change for the captain to April Roberts from the 12/12/2012 thread.
s113.photobucket.com/albu...ewWave.jpg

- CD
--
Also, while I've skippedoover SOScon for now, a short tied into the Crystal Osaka attack is posted in the following thread, along with some 2013-ish RP:
p202.ezboard.com/fdrunkar...=169.topic
story stripped to new thread - CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
--

Kokuten

Quote:
Sweet mana of the gods, how I had missed a good slice of pepperoni-mushroom! Let none forget, energon cubes were invented by the Decepticons, surely this is how Primus intended us to refuel!

To borrow a trope from The Bad Place, FUKKEN SAVED!!!1!
VERY awesome quote material right there. Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Now that's a great segment. And yes, much that is majorly quotable.
And I love the Rosenbergs. Not fen, just wanting to go somewhere different...
They are welcome at the Corners any time.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Pages: 1 2