Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A question on weapons....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is the "Slapstick Effect" only for those things purposely designed and 'waved as weapons or does it apply to things can be used as improvised weapons as well. Every fen with a flying car has a weapon, after all. It's a big, blunt guided missile with no warhead that does its own mass in blunt trauma. Does the effect apply to vehicular melee?
In addition, if you, for example, 'wave a blade for hardness and edge, but it's still, essentially, just a sword or knife, does it get scrambled by the effect?Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Kokuten

Dramatically Correct.
That's the ticket.
In a 'mid-air' collision between two 'fen vehicles, you're likely to get some traded paint, snickering AIs, and two pissed-off drivers.
Reinforce your prow or just desperation-ram a Boskonian, though, and it's even odds as to what happens - but it's not going to be comedy.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
In a 'mid-air' collision between two 'fen vehicles, you're likely to get some traded paint, snickering AIs, and two pissed-off drivers.
And, if one of those vehicles is the Little Deuce Coupe, yet another dent in the bumper... [Image: wink.gif]
(In other words, if a vehicle has a pre-determined Slapstick Effect for a collision, go with that instead.)

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

KJ

The way I figure, it partially depends on what strains too. Some of the strains to just do structural reinforcement of normal mundane metals seem comparatively fairly tame, f'rex, so swords could likely be gotten away with. But then, using those strains would mostly really only be good for durability.
*shrug*

Kokuten

Quote:
really only be good for durability.
Yah, I was thinking on that, and really, a Battle Steel crowbar is a Battle Steel crowbar.
huh.
What happens when you 'wave Nerf?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
What happens when you 'wave Nerf?
It becomes a semi-liquid. It remains in a solid state until it hits something with sufficient force. Then it liquefies and splatters all over the object in question, coating it in a thin layer. This layer then hardens quickly, forming a foam cushion that somehow absorbs almost all kinetic force.
This substance is used extensively by Trekkie security forces.
------------------
Epsilon

Murmur the Fallen

Any physicists here? Or rather chemists? What kind of energy reaction would occur when a solid turns into a liquid like that? Would the person that the waved nerf hits be burned?
-murmur
Quote:
Is the "Slapstick Effect" only for those things purposely designed and 'waved as weapons or does it apply to things can be used as improvised weapons as well. Every fen with a flying car has a weapon, after all. It's a big, blunt guided missile with no warhead that does its own mass in blunt trauma. Does the effect apply to vehicular melee?
In addition, if you, for example, 'wave a blade for hardness and edge, but it's still, essentially, just a sword or knife, does it get scrambled by the effect?

I thought we'd covered this way back when. Blades and clubs can be waved for durability and edge-keeping. It's guns and things where you have to be clever.
Remember, the Slapstick Effect protects people, not objects (hence A.C. getting moded instead of drowning when submerged, and Miyu's built in gun ends up making people look like they've been in a Loony Tunes cartoon complete with smoking/wrecked scenery).
On 'waved Nerf, I'd say the Slapstick Effect would hold especially well as it's a non-lethal weapon. As such, any heating of the resultant liquid on impact could easily be handwaved away. (As an almost liquid I'd say the amount of heat generated would be small on liquifaction, but bigger on solification as it has to cool to be a solid).
Quote:
Any physicists here? Or rather chemists? What kind of energy reaction would occur when a solid turns into a liquid like that? Would the person that the waved nerf hits be burned?
I find your use of the word "physics" in this context amusing...
Anyway. Changing a solid to a liquid requires energy. Changing a liquid to a solid releases that energy. There are quantum-dynamics effects that can be explained only by the effect borrowing energy from "somewhere" and giving it back once the effect is complete a fraction of a millisecond later - I'd assume that the handwavium merely amplifies this effect so that it works on human-sized space and time scales.
(Good Lord, I just brought real physics into a discussion about Fenspace. Did God kill a catgirl?)

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Kokuten

Quote:
Did God kill a catgirl?)
One can only hope.
-WG, jokingWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
Did God kill a catgirl?
This is fenspace. They mass produce them. Who would notice?
-----------------
Epsilon