Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: A timeline for OGJ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please note that everything I am about to write is just the result of my idle thoughts on the current arc, and very much more intended as an invitation to debate than a final proposal.
That said... I kind of get the impression that the storyline is floundering a bit, even with the Huruhi thing resolved at the meta level. Perhaps even more so, in fact - her nature and position is now only cause for in-character mystery/conflict, and the Boskone... uh, yeah, we're...fighting them, or something.
But! Is it heating up to a break point? Is it time to start bringing in a/the major villian? Where are we, in the plot arc - SOScon was the clear Beginning, now we need a Middle so we can have an End. Is this the middle, a grinding piecemeal war and rapidly eroding faith in the leadership? Put that way, it could be... Or was it the Crystal Osaka attack, that doesn't seem to have happened on screen. Was that the station where the Reavers tore through the side with a giant robot? if so, the throwaway lines in SWtA1 and the Cybers faction summary are tied for the most information on camera about it, as far as I can tell. When did it even happen?
Victory condition also need to be specified - even as simple as "find the main ba e (the Hellhole In Space? Something groundside, where the criminal organizations are based?) and bust it up, kill or capture personnel" - something that can be achieved in dramatic fashion and close most of the arc plot threads. We need to know these things, and when they will happen in-'verse, so that the story can be paced appropriately, and character arcs fit into and around it.
Or, maybe it's just me that needs this kind of planning, in which case feel free to tell me "Quitcherbitchin & Wright will work it out," and I'll go back to detailing the Miranda mission up to That Day When and Wave Convoy's crew pre-SauceCon, and mainly fit them in after the fact in the Operation For Great Justice.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

KJ

Fair enough point. Frankly, I tend to just write wherever in the timeline that I feel like at any given moment... which works kinda funkily sometimes.
Dunno about a lot of the middle in the grand scheme of things; I've got some stuff up in a pair of threads. Frankly, my char is off doing his/her own thing away from the major plot points for most of the middle, so that I have actions figgered out for around there doesn't say much.

What I'm actually working on (mostly, in between *expletive deleted* schoolwork and random other stuff) is a (*cough*not-explicitly-authorized*cough*) covert operation to take a platoon of militarized senshi to $place (presumably some major space-borne base) where the forced catgirling apparatus and related supplies (read captives) are. The idea is to infiltrate and seize that (section of?)base and hold it until reinforcements arrive.
Obviously, one way or another, this is towards endgame. Whether it's one base of many (and we just exterminate everything within reach) or a section of a larger base (whereupon it's a toehold until people can come help exterminate) I was (and am) going to open up. The toehold idea might be kinda convenient in a "hey y'all, this is where we tie up crap with Ye Final Assault and bossfight and whatnot" way, but not really for me to unilaterally decide.
From what I know of it, Rob's GGG story (if made official and not AU) would make a good middle of the OGJ storyline.
Technically, I'm working on the premise that there are four other major Boskonian/Zwilnik bases in Fenspace.
1) Codename: Shipwreck Island. The Boskonians major Fenside supply and repair site. They also put out a lot of the super-kluged, quirky ships most of Fenspace sees (unlike the major Shipbuilding site 'Daneside codenamed Skull Cove which, in my storyline at least, has started moving to production of 3rd gen ship designs).
2) Codename: Greenland. The Venus planetary base where they farm Broadleaf. It's been expanding lately, so is slowly aproaching the former Crystal Osaka control zone.
3) Codename: Jusenkyou. The Boskonians main biomod research base. The original Catgilring machine is here, as are two duplicates. My idea is to have some more, maybe three, of these machines (capable of up to ten simultaineous conversion) around the system to speed things up. There is also some NASTY stuff here which would make what people felt at SOS-Con insignificant, and also makes it a very tough nut to crack.
4) Codename: The Farm. The slavers main storage site. Has one of the ten-person Catgirl machines.
Timeline-wise, my chars are (mostly) running support for OGJ and Noah's stuff until the 2013 Scheduled con. Then they help locate one of the space bases.
I was thinking that the destruction of Crystal Osaka (January 2013, BTW, and it hasn't been shown "on screen"...but I'd like to write at least part of it, please) kicked off the middle of OGJ, at least for my characters. That's the event that caused Noah to start doubting the wisdom of OGJ, which lead to the schism between him and the SOS-dan in early May 2013. Events described in some e-mail correspondance among a few of the SMOFs' writers will nicely cap the end of the change from beginning to middle. (And we really should post that stuff here, guys... who's best to do so?)
I'm also considering the GGG steplet (mid-to-late May 2013, just after the big schism) to be canonical. At the least, it's going to wreck one drug ring (but some of the zwilnicks won't even notice the Girls), and cause a noticeable change in the command structure on Stellvia...

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I would like to posit that the crew of the Pinafore have a strong presence in anything involving "Codename:Jusenkyo." The Medical AI Blossom has the most detailed knowledge base for transformees and the rest of the crew has a personal stake in the outcome there.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

KJ

Quote:
I would like to posit that the crew of the Pinafore have a strong presence in anything involving "Codename:Jusenkyo." The Medical AI Blossom has the most detailed knowledge base for transformees and the rest of the crew has a personal stake in the outcome there.
Yeah, that was my thinking as well; once a toehold is established on station (and word gets broadcast about that fact) I was rather picturing the Dobbses voluteering (forcibly if need be) for the reinforcement force.

Kokuten

I have a BIG qualm about the GGG step - if we go multiversal on this, we can throw away coherency.
I'm thinking that if/when GGG happens, Mme. Skuld is gonna get an email from me asking quite cordially for her to 'lock the damn door on your way out, one universe is enough'.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
The method(s) employed by the girls are going to be irreproducible, even by 'wavetech, unless someone gets one hell of a biomod -- and honestly, I doubt that even handwavium can synthesize a magegift out of nothing.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Okay. I nomminate the Hellhole for Shipwreck Island, it was meant as a/the raiding staging point from the beginning, and the psychoaffective mycotoxin laden atmosphere makes new recruits hot to get out there and bust heads for a couple of weeks, preempting any troublesome last-minute moral qualms when exposed to the reality of climbing through a fresh hole in sommeone's hul and fighting them in close quarters combat to kill or capture... and given the nature of the catgirling machinery as described, it sounds as if "alive" is good enough, "intact" being optional. meaning "this one's a troublemaker, chop off his hands and touriniquet 'em" is a distinct possibility...
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
I've kept the Hellhole as the primary drug producing site and central training area for something like those reasons. Yes, it probably has a fair chunk of the other site abilities but those got moved out to the other sites for efficiency reasons.
This interpretation does lead to a SIXTH site; Operations HQ, codenamed: The Dark Tower.
As to the general timeline, I too semi-used the Crystal Osaka crash as a general start of the 'middle' of the OGJ plot. GGG was kinda the litteral middle with con 2013 (which because of a mis-read I've been calling Worldcon Serenity Valley) at the end. The idea of a Battle of Serenity Valley after the events of GGG leading to the last phase of the OGJ plot was just appropriate in my opinion. Personally, I was going to have A.C. track down the rough area of space one of the bases was in. I was thinking The Farm, leading to Shipwreck Island, then an all out assault on Jusenkyou followed by Greenland and finally the Hellhole before finding out about The Dark Tower.
Any comments?
Ah, so ka. I'd just thought the Hellhole had been forgotten since it was a few months back I proposed itand there was no strong reaction either way in general.

- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--

Kokuten

Worldcon Serenity Valley, which was attacked by a truly massive Boskonian force, is held as Fenspace's best example of "Irony"Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Link to the Hellhole thread:
p202.ezboard.com/fdrunkar...D=42.topic
- CD
--