Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Opinions, please...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was about to simply post a writeup to the Character Thread, but then I thought that the character's biomod might cross the line that we've drawn
regarding superpowers...

(Edit: Since I've already mentioned a "Leda" in the Grover's Corners launch
thread, I'd really like to know whether she's a legal character.)

Here's the complete writeup. What do folks think?

Leda Swansen

Primary Writer: Rob Kelk

Notable Mundane Attributes:

We could try mixing these chromosones... - Competent genetic engineer. (She doesn't have any
better understanding of biomods than anyone else.)

What does "seven-sector callout" mean? - Drop-dead gorgeous (26 years old, 5'9",
with chestnut-brunette hair and big...tracts of land), but completely oblivious to the fact - at least, that's how she acts.

'Wavium Abilities:

Electricity likes me - Leda generates low-level electrical charges in her hands, similar to an
electric eel's charge. This can shock a person into unconsciousness if she can touch the person on the back of the neck, or overload
insufficiently-grounded electronics.

What shock? - Leda's skin insulates her from low-level electrical charges, such as the ones she
generates. High-level charges, such as taser shots, affect her normally.

Quirks:

Electricity hates me - Leda cannot turn off the low-level electrical charges in her hands, so
electronic devices tend to break down quickly around her. (For example, she can't hold a credit card without demagnetizing the stripe and frying the chip,
and the needle of a compass in her hand would spin continuously.) She can wear gloves that block the effect, but this causes short- and long-term health
problems as the electricity flows into her arms instead of "leaking" into the air. Shielded computer equipment (which includes most 'waved AIs)
is immune to this effect.

Desk jockey - Not particularly skilled at most manual tasks, including fighting.

Faction: Senshi ("Jupiter" subgroup, for obvious reasons)

Trivia:

* Leda graduated at the top of the first class at the Vesta Institute of Biochemistry, in 2010. (This wasn't difficult, since there were only five students
that year.)

* Unlike many Fen, Leda did not take a new name when she left Earth. She doesn't know very much Greek mythology, but she
does know the "Leda" myth, now... and she doesn't care for it.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Feinan

Hmm. Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. If she were throwing lightning bolts about, then I'd have a problem. But at the level she has the electrical ability, she's on par with existing species of animals that can generate electric charges. If the ability already exists in nature, I don't have a problem with a biomod creating it in a person.

CattyNebulart

I think the mod is ok. Competent Genetic Engineer however... well it means what you mean by competent [Image: smile.gif]
Still I don't forsee any problems, just the fear of a hardtech biomod manifesting itself.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Quote:
Competent Genetic Engineer however... well it means what you mean by competent
'Dane-standard "competent", in this case.
Edit: That is, able to recombine various bacteria, and make a stab at higher organisms, but only to induce changes in the species' next generation - she's not capable of playing with already-existing lifeforms. And she's nowhere near as good at it as The Jason is.
Quote:
Still I don't forsee any problems, just the fear of a hardtech biomod manifesting itself.
I'll admit having a few thoughts of somebody making a glove that would let Leda recharge hardtech batteries, slowly... but that's as far as I'd want to go with a "hardtech biomod" in Fenspace.
Thanks, all!
Edit: She's now in the Character Thread.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Murmur the Fallen

So do people call her Leda Swanson or Beastility Leda or something?
oh, here's this thought: if wavium biomods aren't harmful, would her electric ability really cause her long-term damage or would she be biomodded to not only generate but also . . . uh, you know if i weren't a humanities kind of guy i'd actually know what to say here, probably something like capacitor, battery, neutral buoyancy?
never mind
-murmur
Quote:
So do people call her Leda Swanson or Beastility Leda or something?
Her friends just call her Leda. Brining up the Greek myth in any way is a good way to find out just how good she is with her zaps...
Quote:
oh, here's this thought: if wavium biomods aren't harmful, would her electric ability really cause her long-term damage or would she be biomodded to not only generate but also . . . uh, you know if i weren't a humanities kind of guy i'd actually know what to say here, probably something like capacitor, battery, neutral buoyancy?
I suspect "capacitor" is the one you want. Nope, no capacitor; that would have made the ability too powerful, in my opinion, and since I'm the one who designed the character, well...
The ability only causes long-term damage if it's incorrectly shielded... which, unfortunately, is the only way it can currently be shielded. Sometimes life's a b*tch.

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk