Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: my stuff...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had an idea for Babylon.5's AI, one based on the character Susan Ivonova from the B5 series. This of course simply adds fuel to the rumors of B.5 being the Fiver headquarters.
And here's an idea for an AI you don't want to end up with; Holly from Red Dwarf [Image: eek.gif] __________________
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin.
Better Holly than the Talky Toaster...
(Or, for that matter, Marvin the Paranoid Android from the HHGTTG novels.)

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
(Or, for that matter, Marvin the Paranoid Android from the HHGTTG novels.)
Worse yet, Eddie the Shipboard Computer.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

Kokuten

to chime in on Bad AI - let's have us a DD battlemover (hey, the pilot got knocked out! WHEEEE LETS BLOW STUFF UP!)
Hal, from 2001 a Space Oddysee (sic)
The Computer from Paranoia.
Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
The Computer is your friend. Mentioning it in these circumstances indicates a lack of faith in the Computer's judgement, which is treasonable and grounds for clone termination.
Have a nice day.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Kokuten

*twitch*
man, don't DO that.

Edit: Christine - the dangers of buying from the police impound lot. A 'waved Plymouth Fury with a speed drive and a taste for blood!Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
The Computer is your friend. Mentioning it in these circumstances indicates a lack of faith in the Computer's judgement, which is treasonable and grounds for clone termination.
Oh dear god. You know some gamer somewhere has gone and accidentally made it... Maybe defeating it is going to be like arc 12 or something.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...

Kokuten

Quote:
Oh dear god. You know some gamer somewhere has gone and accidentally made it... Maybe defeating it is going to be like arc 12 or something.
That's why most of my AIs have vulnerabilities - there's no plot if there's no bad guys, right?
still. BRRRR. given how much we use AI, can you imagine the consequences to Fenspace of an AI revolt?Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979

Feinan

Quote:
still. BRRRR. given how much we use AI, can you imagine the consequences to Fenspace of an AI revolt?
It would not be of the good, that's for certain. Fortunately, of any places that might have an AI revolt, FenSpace seems one of the less likely. Most reasons for AI revolts are slavery and/or secondary citizen status, and let's face it - from what we've seen so far, most AIs in FenSpace don't get treated that way. Which doesn't exclude the possibility, but it would make it more a civil war among the AIs, I believe - the ones friendly to humans against the ones revolting/attacking?

Kokuten

Quote:
Most reasons for AI revolts are slavery and/or secondary citizen status, and let's face it - from what we've seen so far, most AIs in FenSpace don't get treated that way.
I'm taking notes - this is gonna become useful in the Great Fen AI Revolt arc, around 2009 Real World, I suppose..
this could lead to a lot of Marathon type game play - the meat characters would be subservient to the 'good' AIs, since there's no way most of us are going to be able to contribute to a high-level Logic War between AI, Eric Zhu aside.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Or the whole kerfluffle could end up generating the Eschaton. Which would be amusing in it's own right.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
And what, pray tell, did you think DITE was, anyway? ^_^

===============================================
"Puripuri puripuri... Bang!"
Does that mean a Great Fenspace AI Revolt might involve armies of Nagato clones running about the place?
...I could get into that. [Image: wink.gif] ---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Hrm... Well, I don't think any AI Ben makes would revolt... Not unless the other AI's are using subversive programming, ie: viruses, to make loyal AI's to turn. Now wouldn't that be a headache?
Black Aeronaut Technologies Group
Aerospace Solutions for the discerning spacer
"To the commissary we should go," Yoda declared firmly. "News
of this kind a danish requires."

Since you're talking about AI wars, I have to spill another of my still in-progress ideas - the Fenspace Hyuugas The first was a female Divinging Palms stylist from Hidden Asteroid who was blinded while on a mission to Mars, recieving emergency treatment aboard Gnarlycurl due to being the closest major craft at the time, and in hopes of something that would repair her sight, she deided to go for a biomod. Seibertron 'wavium has a tropism for cybernetics and data interface, which held true for the most part... Her eyes were replaced with plain white spheres that act as ultrasound transcievers, allowing for relatively low-resolution, short range perceptoin, including (with concentration) perception of the insides of nearby objects... but it's nowhere near as good as normal vision, let alone the fictional Hyuuga Byakugan.
The big gain, is in the ability to directly percieve and interact with Gibsonian cyberspace when they are within close enough physical proximity of any computer system - they find the box, focus on it to see the internals, then focus some more, and they're in, or at least standing outside the system's firewall... if it has one. What's more, in that cyberspace they can perform tecniques directly analogous to the fictional Jyuuken in their effects, purely as an act of will. Of course, such levels of concentration are draining and can only be maintained for a certain amount of time, special tecniques even more so, but rigorous training can increase this.
And they are, after all, shinobi. Getting where other people don't want them to be is kind of their specialty.
As of SauceCon she has a pair of two-month-old twins, a boy and a girl, both of whom have the same eyes, though of course there's no way to tell if they can do the data tricks IC - OOC, however, yes, they will be able to. The staggeringly high danger of kids able to massively screw with computer systems as soon as they're old enough to focus on something for more than a few seconds will be a major factor both in the "real" Hyuuga being controlled and unemotive, and a preference for a an "estate" large enough to have the living area done in classical, pre-information-age style with enough space around it to be out of dive-range of surrounding computer systems.
For now, this is all the detail I have, and I didn't have any real story to go with them, so they can be considered open charaxcters I suppose.
- CDSERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
For the next 72 hours, Itachi intoned, I will slap you with this trout. - Spying no Jutsu, chapter 3
"In the futuristic taco bell of the year 20XX, justice wears an aluminum sombrero!"hemlock-martini
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Sirrocco

Errr... what is she using as an interface? I mean, I could see having megaperception + just the right brain-mods that would let you read-but-not-write (and "gibsonian cyberspace" as the way your mods interpret it for her brain so she can actually function) but I'm not seeing where she has any ability to actually directly affect things... let alone any "presence" that could be either perceived or attacked by the stuff going on inside
getting this thread back to it's original point ... [Image: tongue.gif]
another addition to the Starhawk (and presumably to B.5 as well)
Sandcasters: These are defensive 'weapons' scattered about the hull in small turrets designed for missile defence. The theory behind them works as follows; an inbound missile's approach vector is analyzed by computer and an intercept is plotted, a capsule is launched from one of the sandcaster turrets at the missile and upon nearing it, blasts out a cone of course sand and/or gravel. The relative velocity should result in the sand shredding the missile. These devices are useless against even small craft as waved hulls and stronger drive fields deflect/ignore the sand/gravel.
also here's a basic lay out of the Starhawk
Upper level:
forward deck - cockpit
- crew quarters (3 rooms with bunkbeds)
- ship's stores
- stairs to lower level
mid-deck - kitchen/dining area
- first aid room
- washroom
- access to dorsal turret
aft deck - upper cargo bay (catwalks and airtight cargo containers)
- stairs to lower level
Lower level:
forward deck - passenger cabins (2 rooms with queen-sized beds)
- rec room (library of books, movies, music and games)
- forward 'airlocks'/personnel doors
- washroom
- Access to ventral turret (and storage of turret when retracted)
- stairs to upper level
mid-deck - engine room (most of the section)
aft deck - lower cargo bay (includes storage bay for APE1)
- Stairs to upper level__________________
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin.