Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Appointing a Moderator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the wake of the last week, when I've had more stuff than I can really handle dumped on my shoulders what with holiday obligations and all, I was thinking it would be useful to set up a moderator for this forum. The mod will have basically almost all the same rights I have, just limited to this area -- and they can do things like manage threads and update the glossary and stuff when I'm to busy to do so. It doesn't have to be one person, either -- I can appoint multiple mods.
So, 1) does this sound like a good idea to folks, and 2) who do people think ought to be moderator(s)? (I'm already inclined to set up Valles as one mod, simply because it's his baby, but folks might disagree or want others.)
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
Wrong forum, perhaps?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Indeed. I was just wondering why the hell this message was missing from the Fenspace forum. Argh.
Okay, time to wave my magic admin wand at this thread and make it move.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I'm already inclined to set up Valles as one mod, simply because it's his baby, but folks might disagree or want others.
*snort* I don't know whether to be amused or offended. I think I'll stick with amused. [Image: wink.gif]
In truth, if you feel the need for another set of eyes here I don't see a problem with it. I also wouldn't choose me for the job - I've got a fair bit on my plate too, and I tend to be a lazy moderator at that. I'm good with Valles having the power to bind and loose if it comes to that.---
Mr. Fnord
http://fnord.sandwich.net/
http://www.jihad.net/
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

CattyNebulart

I vote for Siccoro, for a vareity of reasons.
1) He is not actually writing a part of this story but he contributes a lot by making suggestions and edits.
2) He is already policing the forum. (And doing a good job of it)
3) I might not agree with him on everything, but when several authors disagree with him he is willing to back down.
4) We need to have an editor who can say what goes and what doesn't, and I was going to nominate him for the above reasons. Being a moderator wouldn't be that much different, he would just have a way to deal with unruly members.
5) I'm not sure about how I feel about an active author being the moderator, it can be a conflict of interest, though I think Valles could handle it, I'd rather not find out.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Sirrocco

I thank you for the vote of confidence on this one, but I'd suggest you reconsider, for two reasons.
1. I'm liable to disappear at some point, with little to no warning. It is what I am. I'll probably show up again later - but there's no telling how *much* later.
2. I think that my particular brand of despotism works much better *without* any official power behind it. Please to not be feeding the megalomania. To be honest, I don't really know how I'd react to having actual authority here, but I can't imagine that it would be an improvement. I find that having my power depend on convincing people and being right limits me in productive ways.
Still, as I'd said, I thank you.
Quote:
don't know whether to be amused or offended. I think I'll stick with amused.
I'm sorry, Fnord -- I don't know where I got that incorrect impression, but it's been sticking with me for well over a week. Probably because Valles posted a different plotbunny in "Other People's Fanfiction" at about the same time, and something got crosslinked in my head. Please accept my apologies, and also please accept my revised "default moderator" nomination. (Sorry, Nathan!)
-- Bob
---------
Ist nicht, stuff happens, go thou & sin no more, etc.
As for the moderator nod, only as the default position. If Team Fenspace can't decide on somebody else more worthy of the job, I'll do the job. Otherwise, I'm happy to be just another idea guy.---
Mr. Fnord

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Well then, if people want somebody (or somebodies) else, now's the time to say.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:
5) I'm not sure about how I feel about an active author being the moderator, it can be a conflict of interest, though I think Valles could handle it, I'd rather not find out.
I agree with both halves of Catty's point, here...

-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I've no particular qualms about anyone mentioned as a moderator. Unless anyone else wants it burningly, I'd second Fnord - 'twas his vision in the first place, so who better.
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Well, that's less than a ringing endorsement of the idea, but no one seems actively hostile. And Fnord seems to be ahead on points. Well, let's do it. For the nonce, at least, Fnord will become moderator in this conference, which should give him powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Or something.
-- Bob
---------
[Image: Emperor-Ep3-2.jpg]
AT LAST! ULTIMATE POWER IS MINE!
*ahem*
Sorry about that. Reflex.---
Mr. Fnord