Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: While We're Talking About the Moon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I realize we have a glaring oversight in the Tourism listing for the moon, which I'm hoping to rectify right now:

Tranquility Base National Park. The only United States National Park that is not actually on Earth, Tranquility Base encompasses a 25-square-mile region centered on the Apollo 11 landing site. A transparent lunar-glass wall over ten meters in height fences off the actual landing site from tourists in order to preserve Armstrong and Aldrin's footprints and the equipment they left behind, but the wall is handwavium-enhanced and will provide magnified images. A nearby Visitor's Center houses a museum, a theatre in which a 20-minute film about the Apollo 11 mission runs on continuous loop, and a scale model of the site which can be explored with interactive camera drones.

Alternately, we can have all the Apollo sites and maybe some of the unmanned probe sites as distributed parts of one much larger National Park.

Staff might be a mix of Fen and Park Service employees shipped up from Earth.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
All except the Apollo 14 landing site. While the lander & immediate area are locked off as historical sites, the rest of the surrounding territory has been converted into the Shepard Memorial Golf Course, the first PGA-approved (well, sort of; they slipped the documents in and got the signatures anyway) 18-hole course offworld. Wink
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I'm sure the PGA, after realizing its error, keeps trying to unapprove it, but every time they try, their membership (who love the idea of a course where
they can hit a 1-mile-plus line drive with almost no effort) beseige them with calls and letters opposing such action.
-- Bob
---------
Hm. A footnote to the National Park idea. The land was originally claimed by Fen, who donated it to the US government on the condition they turn it all into a
National Park.

Hm. They're probably National Historic Spots, too. The only ones not in the Nation...
-- Bob
---------