Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] Earth & Environs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since the gazetteer entry looks a little silly with the Moon fleshed out the way it is & Earth only sketched out, here's a first pass. Wiki markup, etc. Ideas for stuff worth mentioning are always welcome.

~~NOTOC~~

{{earth}}
^ Earth ^^
^ Orbit | 149,597,890 km from primary (mean) |
^ Diameter | 12,756 km (equatorial) |
^ Surface Gravity | 1 G |
^ Year | 365.24 days |
^ Day | 23.93 hours |
^ Mean temp. | 288°K (15°C) |
^ Atmosphere | 1 atm (N2 78%, O2 21%, Ar 1%) |
^ Water/Ice Index | 70% |
^ Population (2013) | 7,197,247,000 |
^ Political Affiliation | United Nations |
^ Government | Variable |
^ Capital | n/a |

====== Earth ======
Planet Earth is the third planet from a star named the Sun. The Earth is shaped like a sphere and composed mostly of rock. Over 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water. The planet has a relatively thin atmosphere composed mostly of nitrogen and oxygen. Earth has a single large Moon that is about 1/4 of its diameter and, from the planet's surface, is seen to have almost exactly the same angular size as the Sun. With its abundance of liquid water, Earth supports a large variety of life forms, including potentially intelligent species such as dolphins and humans.

//(Text courtesy NASA's [[http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap0703 ... |Astronomy Picture of the Day for 25 March 2007])//

===== History =====
For those readers unaware of history before the wave (or just dropping in from the Marcab Confederacy) a good place to start is Wikipedia's [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_world|world history article] to give you a good gloss on what's happened since humans first figured out how to bang rocks together.

Earth's place in Fenspace history begins some time in 2005 or 2006 (depending on the source) when [[gazetteer:handwaviumConfusedtart|handwavium] was developed or discovered (again, depending on the source). Wherever it came from, handwavium quickly spread into the global subculture known as //science-fiction and fantasy fandom// or simply //fen//.

After the flight of the SS //[[ships:Uncertainty]// in 2007 made it clear that handwavium could support sustained space flight, Earth became the launchpad for fen seeking to leave the planet for more interesting climates. The majority of the [[gazetteer:government:Space Powers] (terrestrial nations that developed independent spaceflight capability before the wave) and the other industrial nations put severe restrictions on the use of handwavium in 2008, isolating the embryonic Fenspace nations.

The original handwavium panic was settled in the 2010 [[gazetteer:government:Kandor Treaty] which pardoned the original pioneers of any handwavium-related crimes and normalized relations with Earth. Smaller panics and crackdowns have happened since, and the Boskone War has put some strain on the treaty.

===== Places of Interest =====
The vast majority of Earth's population take only minor notice of fannish goings-on, preferring to stick to their reasonably comfortable planetbound lives. It's not for nothing that Earth is often referred to as the 'Danelaw.

==== Australia ====
The Land Down Under was the only First World nation not to break ties with fandom in the course of the initial handwavium panics((Base rumor suggests that the fen have some sort of "hold" on the Australian government, but this of course is silly. Fnord.)) and as Fenspace settled into it's current configuration the fen have rewarded this loyalty with strong economic connections. The Fenspace [[gazetteer:companies:finance in fenspace|solar credit] uses the Australian dollar (AU$) as the benchmark, and Aussie dollars are more common than American or Canadian dollars in many places in Fenspace.

Australia is also the central transit hub for goods flowing from Earth into Fenspace and vice versa. Major ports are the **Avalon-Point Wilson Aerospace & Aqua Port** in Melbourne and **Kingsford Smaith International Spaceport** in Sydney. [[gazetteer:companies:Orbital Air] runs passenger transport operations out of Perth, and [[gazetteer:companiesConfusedtellvia corporation|Stellvia Trading] runs their tourist operations out of Sydney.

Hobart, Tasmania is the home of **Leonard H. McCoy Memorial Medical Center** the largest fan-backed hospital facility in Fenspace and the only one on Earth capable of handling handwavium-related conditions.

==== New Zealand ====
New Zealand wasn't initially part of the "ANZAC renaissance," but thanks to proximity to Australia and a certain level of adaptability (any country that declare Peter Jackson a favorite son is going to be at least a //little// sympathetic to fen) the island nation quickly became part of the Fenspace economic sphere. **Wellington International Spaceport** opened for business in 2010 and has managed plenty of tourist and agricultural trade.

==== Nigeria ====
In the outer suburbs of Lagos there is a large hole in the ground. This hole wouldn't be remarkable by most standards - while impressively wide, it's not very deep compared to other holes in the Earth's surface - but this one is special. This hole in the ground, known locally as **The Divot** is the place where [[chars:Eric Zhu] and his crew built and then launched the [[ships:the island|Island], sparking all sorts of interesting controversies about the use of handwavium.

==== United States of America ====
The US is where many (if not most) of the original fen are from, and as a result the fen have left their mark on the place perhaps a bit more solidly than they would've anywhere else.

The **John F. Kennedy Space Center** in Titusville, Florida was the centerpoint for American manned spaceflight from 1961 to 2010, when the American manned program was effectively shut down with the last flight of the pre-wave Space Shuttle. The center itself remains the property of the American government, but the Shuttle processing facilities have been leased by the Artemis Corporation for use with their [[ships:the three graces|Shuttle fleet]. Also, Launch Complex 41 at the Cape Canveral Air Force Station has been renovated to accomodate larger fenships in general and the SV //[[ships:Moondance]// in particular.

On 42 West 23rd Street in Seattle, Washington is an unassuming building that claims to be **Illuminati World Headquarters**. Whether or not this is a large-scale joke on the part of //somebody// has yet to be determined.

Just outside the small town of Kearney, West Virginia is an //extremely// large hole in the ground, a kilometer wide and a kilometer deep, slowly filling with water. This is **Lake Schroeck**, also known as "The Bowl," the former site of //[[ships:Grover's Corners]// before the owners worked their magic and lifted an entire farmstead into Earth orbit.

====== Earth Orbit ======
Earth orbit is the single most crowded place in the entirety of Fenspace. Along with the approximately 2,500 mundane satellites in orbit serving the needs of the planet, there are dozens if not //hundreds// of fenships and habitats in orbit around Earth at any given time.

The major attraction of low Earth orbit (aside from the amazing view of Earth) is the **[[ships:International Space Station]**. The ISS is the last operational piece of unenhanced manned space hardware left in the solar system. Completed in 2010, the station performs microgravity science experiments. While tourists have made their way onto ISS in the past, the station is not equipped or meant as a tourist destination.

Babylon .5 //blah blah setup fishcakes, etc.//

(etc.)

====== Cislunar Space ======
The Lagrangian points (also Lagrange point, L-point, or libration point), are the five positions in an orbital configuration where a small object affected only by gravity can theoretically be stationary relative to two larger objects (such as a satellite with respect to the Earth and Moon). The Lagrange points mark positions where the combined gravitational pull of the two large masses provides precisely the centripetal force required to rotate with them. They are analogous to geosynchronous orbits in that they allow an object to be in a "fixed" position in space rather than an orbit in which its relative position changes continuously.

==== Lagrange 1 ====
(etc.)

==== Lagrange 2 ====
(etc.)

==== Lagrange 3 ====
The Earth-Luna Lagrange 3 (L3) point is relatively empty, being situated on the opposite side of the planet from Luna and far from the other Lagrange points. The emptiness of the local space explains why L3 is the standard parking orbit for [[ships:Grover's Corners].

(etc.)

==== Lagrange 4 ====
The L4 point is locally known as the "Danelaw toehold," as this is where most 'Danelaw or Space Power-supported habitats are located. The major habitats cluster around [[gazetteer:government:TSAB]'s **Benjamin Franklin Station**, a base built out of a converted [[gazetteer:companies:Rockhounds] mining asteroid.

(etc.)

==== Lagrange 5 ====
L5 has a long association with the exploration and settlement of space, beginning in the 1970s when Gerald K. O'Neill first suggested using the libration point as a place to house space colonies.

The L5 point was one of the first things settled in any permanent manner, first by the Warsies who built their **[[New Yavin]** habitat at L5 and maintain a major presence there. The point is also the home of //[[ships:Stellvia]// station.

(etc.)
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:Since the gazetteer entry looks a little silly with the Moon fleshed out the way it is & Earth only sketched out, here's a first pass.

Sorry about the mess Fnord, but it was even worse before I fiddled the layout.

Quote:Australia is also the central transit hub for goods flowing from Earth into Fenspace and vice versa. Major ports are the **Avalon-Point Wilson Aerospace & Aqua Port** in Melbourne and **Kingsford Smaith International Spaceport** in Sydney. [[gazetteer:companies:Orbital Air] runs passenger transport operations out of Perth, and [[gazetteer:companiesConfusedtellvia corporation|Stellvia Trading] runs their tourist operations out of Sydney.

Gah! I really ought to write up Helios Holdings (Galactic), who's head office takes up the 42nd floor of Merlin Tower in the Avalon free-trade zone.

Speaking of free-trade zones (and as an aside, if someone does write up the basics of the Kandor-Con Treaty free-trade zones should be included.), how many are there on Earth? There are obviously at least two in Australia, and at least one in the US (given that Wave Convoy met his family there after Kandor-Con).

Europe and Russia seem a bit empty, as does Aisa (especially Japan). I have a few ideas perculating...let me see what I can come up with.

South America and Canada are also a bit empty.

Skull Cove is also a major place on Earth, but I've never found a satisfactory location for it. Think typical tropical pirate island, only slightly strange due to Handwavium contamination. Basically it gets raided by the Fen during the end of the Boskone War, and the government the land belongs to sells it cheep to the Fen to let them clean it up. I forsee Stellvia Corperation eventually buying it and turning it into a theme park. (Come on, a true piece of Earth that is part of Fenspace? Who wouldn't want one over the 'Danes like that? Plus the potential to soften the Anti-Wave sentiment.)
Quote:Earth became the launchpad for fen seeking to leave the planet for more interesting climates.
I think you mean "climes", rather than "climates". Except on Venus, they won't find any intersting climates at all.
Quote:before the owners worked their magic and lifted an entire farmstead into Earth orbit.
I'd say "neighborhood"; it's far more than a single farm. And it's more like 1.2 km across and just over half a kilometer deep (half-sphere, remember?).
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Addendums:

Irving, Texas, United States: This suburb of Dallas houses the American headquarters of the Banzai Institute for Strategic and Biotechnical Research. A quiet
and comfortable compound, the Institute resembles a small college more than anything else, housing research labs, classrooms, dormitories, a gymnasium, a fully
equipped garage capable of housing a full-sized bus, a zen garden, and a small clinic. The Institute is run by an unassuming woman in her mid-60s who is known
as "Mrs. Johnson" and a gregarious red-headed man that answers to "Sensei." Rumors about the Institute include the supposed presence of a
tunnels under Irving that lead to a variety of destinations, including the semi-mythological Armory, headquarters of the Rugsuckers; strange brainwashing
rituals that make Blue Blazers follow Buckaroo with slavish devotion; and the rumor that Mrs. Johnson is Blue Blazer leader Blackstone's mother and/or
lover (this last one makes Mrs. Johnson shake her head with pity and Blackstone break down in paroxysms of laughter).

London, England, United Kingdom: The capital of the UK houses the European headquarters for the Banzai Institute for Strategic and Biotechnical Research. A
smaller setup than the American headquarters, it takes up less than a city block, but still contains many of the same facilities as its counterpart (if in
reduced capacity). Of note is an extensive data archive and library of research material, gathered by the Institute for its use. Much of this library is
available in electronic format, and is accessible through the Institute's website. The London HQ is run by "McAllister," a man of some repute in
certain circles of the British underworld. It is known that "Mac" (as he is normally known) was a smuggler with a great deal of influence on the
British crime scene, and that he had retired some time before joining the Institute. Critics of the Institute often cite McAllister's presence as a reason
not to trust the Blue Blazers, implying that if McAllister, a known criminal, can find a place in the organization, how altruistic can they truly be?
McAllister ignores such criticism, and Buckaroo Banzai has released several statements attesting to his unimpeachable character. British law enforcement has
found little or nothing in the way of evidence that McAllister has been involved in criminal activities since well before his joining with the Institute.
McAllister is assisted by a number of European Blue Blazers, in particular Tallyho, Ogre, John Steed, and Mrs. Peel.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Also, don't forget the large hole in Alaska where Wiregeek's avatar lifted off from.

And I really need to get off my ass and flesh out Babylon .5 [Image: tongue.gif]

Quote:Sorry about the mess Fnord, but it was even worse before I fiddled the layout.

Meh, the page was only slightly less than a placeholder before. Anyway, it generated this wall o'text, so it all evens out.

Quote:Europe and Russia seem a bit empty, as does Aisa (especially Japan). I have a few ideas perculating...let me see what I can come up with.

South America and Canada are also a bit empty.

For the most part everything on that page is an expansion of the half-sentence notes scribbled on the original page. And since that only covered fleeting mentions of stuff from earlier material... well. So yeah, there's a lot of gaps in the record where neat stuff could go..

Quote:I think you mean "climes", rather than "climates". Except on Venus, they won't find any intersting climates at all.

Silence, you! I'll not have grammar intruding when waxing rhapsodic!

Quote:Also, don't forget the large hole in Alaska where Wiregeek's avatar lifted off from.

Enh, ten acres really ain't that big compared to the Divot or Lake Schroeck.

Quote:South America and Canada are also a bit empty.
Speaking as a Canadian, I don't mind the lack of mention of any Canadian sites.

In fact, that lack gives me a story idea... (For later. LoGG comes first.)

--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Just noticed an omission: After April 2014, the Artemis Project has administrative offices in Canberra, Australia; Tyuratam, Kazakhstan; and Washington, DC,
USA. These are primarily lobbyists' offices, attempting to influence the three 'Danelaw powers with major spaceports.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Pass 2 below, wiki markup, etc.

Some notes: Tyuratam doesn't really exist except as a wide spot on the local road and a rail yard. So instead I've put Artemis offices in the city of Baikonur and in the Kazakh capital of Astana.

====== Earth ======
Planet Earth is the third planet from a star named the Sun. The Earth is shaped like a sphere and composed mostly of rock. Over 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water. The planet has a relatively thin atmosphere composed mostly of nitrogen and oxygen. Earth has a single large Moon that is about 1/4 of its diameter and, from the planet's surface, is seen to have almost exactly the same angular size as the Sun. With its abundance of liquid water, Earth supports a large variety of life forms, including potentially intelligent species such as dolphins and humans.

//(Text courtesy NASA's [[http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap0703 ... |Astronomy Picture of the Day for 25 March 2007])//

===== History =====
For those readers unaware of history before the wave (or just dropping in from the Marcab Confederacy) a good place to start is Wikipedia's [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_world|world history article] to give you a good gloss on what's happened since humans first figured out how to bang rocks together.

Earth's place in Fenspace history begins some time in 2005 or 2006 (depending on the source) when [[gazetteer:handwaviumConfusedtart|handwavium] was developed or discovered (again, depending on the source). Wherever it came from, handwavium quickly spread into the global subculture known as //science-fiction and fantasy fandom// or simply //fen//.

After the flight of the SS //[[ships:Uncertainty]// in 2007 made it clear that handwavium could support sustained space flight, Earth became the launchpad for fen seeking to leave the planet for more interesting climes. The majority of the [[gazetteer:government:Space Powers] (terrestrial nations that developed independent spaceflight capability before the wave) and the other industrial nations put severe restrictions on the use of handwavium in 2008, isolating the embryonic Fenspace nations.

The original handwavium panic was settled in the 2010 [[gazetteer:government:Kandor Treaty] which pardoned the original pioneers of any handwavium-related crimes and normalized relations with Earth. Smaller panics and crackdowns have happened since, and the Boskone War has put some strain on the treaty.

The vast majority of Earth's population take only minor notice of fannish goings-on, preferring to stick to their reasonably comfortable planetbound lives. It's not for nothing that Earth is often referred to as the 'Danelaw.

==== Australia ====
The Land Down Under was the only First World nation not to break ties with fandom in the course of the initial handwavium panics((Base rumor suggests that the fen have some sort of "hold" on the Australian government, but this of course is silly. Fnord.)) and as Fenspace settled into it's current configuration the fen have rewarded this loyalty with strong economic connections. The Fenspace [[gazetteer:companies:finance in fenspace|solar credit] uses the Australian dollar (AU$) as the benchmark, and Aussie dollars are more common than American or Canadian dollars in many places in Fenspace.

Australia is also the central transit hub for goods flowing from Earth into Fenspace and vice versa. Major ports are the **Avalon-Point Wilson Aerospace & Aqua Port** in Melbourne and **Kingsford Smith International Spaceport** in Sydney. [[gazetteer:companies:Orbital Air] runs passenger transport operations out of Perth, and [[gazetteer:companiesConfusedtellvia corporation|Stellvia Trading] runs their tourist operations out of Sydney.

Hobart, Tasmania is the home of **Leonard H. McCoy Memorial Medical Center** the largest fan-backed hospital facility in Fenspace and the only one on Earth capable of handling handwavium-related conditions.

The [[gazetteer:companiesConfusedtellvia_corporation#artemis_corporation|Artemis Corporation] maintains an office in Canberra aimed at keeping good relations with the Australian government.

==== Kazakhstan ====
The world's third busiest spaceport (after Kingsford Smith International and Avalon-Point Wilson) is the famous **Baikonur Cosmodrome**. The Cosmodrome handles large amounts of fendane traffic, mostly from the former Soviet republics, the European Union and India heading for the outer edge of the solar system. Cosmodrome officials maintain good relations with the [[gazetteer:factions:Soviet Air Force], fostering a fair bit of "hometown pride" in //Ptichka//. (Despite Ptichka's crew being largely American/Canadian.)

The Artemis Corporation maintains offices in the national capital of Astana and in the city of Baikonur as part of their Earth-based operations.

==== New Zealand ====
New Zealand wasn't initially part of the "ANZAC renaissance," but thanks to proximity to Australia and a certain level of adaptability (any country that declare Peter Jackson a favorite son is going to be at least a //little// sympathetic to fen) the island nation quickly became part of the Fenspace economic sphere. **Wellington International Spaceport** opened for business in 2010 and has managed plenty of tourist and agricultural trade.

==== Nigeria ====
In the outer suburbs of Lagos there is a large hole in the ground. This hole wouldn't be remarkable by most standards - while impressively wide, it's not very deep compared to other holes in the Earth's surface - but this one is special. This hole in the ground, known locally as **The Divot** is the place where [[chars:Eric Zhu] and his crew built and then launched the [[ships:the island|Island], sparking all sorts of interesting controversies about the use of handwavium.

==== United Kingdom ====
The capital of the UK houses the European headquarters for the Banzai Institute for Strategic and Biotechnical Research. A smaller setup than the American headquarters, it takes up less than a city block, but still contains many of the same facilities as its counterpart (if in reduced capacity). Of note is an extensive data archive and library of research material, gathered by the Institute for its use. Much of this library is available in electronic format, and is accessible through the Institute's website. The London HQ is run by "McAllister," a man of some repute in certain circles of the British underworld. It is known that "Mac" (as he is normally known) was a smuggler with a great deal of influence on the British crime scene, and that he had retired some time before joining the Institute. Critics of the Institute often cite McAllister's presence as a reason not to trust the Blue Blazers, implying that if McAllister, a known criminal, can find a place in the organization, how altruistic can they truly be? McAllister ignores such criticism, and Buckaroo Banzai has released several statements attesting to his unimpeachable character. British law enforcement has found little or nothing in the way of evidence that McAllister has been involved in criminal activities since well before his joining with the Institute. McAllister is assisted by a number of European Blue Blazers, in particular Tallyho, Ogre, John Steed, and Mrs. Peel.

==== United States of America ====
The US is where many (if not most) of the original fen are from, and as a result the fen have left their mark on the place perhaps a bit more solidly than they would've anywhere else.

The **John F. Kennedy Space Center** in Titusville, Florida was the centerpoint for American manned spaceflight from 1961 to 2010, when the American manned program was effectively shut down with the last flight of the pre-wave Space Shuttle. The center itself remains the property of the American government, but the Shuttle processing facilities have been leased by the Artemis Corporation for use with their [[ships:the three graces|Shuttle fleet]. Also, Launch Complex 41 at the Cape Canveral Air Force Station has been renovated to accomodate larger fenships in general and the SV //[[ships:Moondance]// in particular.

Artemis also mantains an office in Washington, DC for purposes of trying to smooth over any leftover bad feeling from the Graces imbrogio.

On 42 West 23rd Street in Seattle, Washington is an unassuming building that claims to be **Illuminati World Headquarters**. Whether or not this is a large-scale joke on the part of //somebody// has yet to be determined.

The suburb of Irving, Texas houses the American headquarters of the **[[gazetteer:factions:blue blazers|Banzai Institute for Strategic and Biotechnical Research]**. A quiet and comfortable compound, the Institute resembles a small college more than anything else, housing research labs, classrooms, dormitories, a gymnasium, a fully equipped garage capable of housing a full-sized bus, a zen garden, and a small clinic. The Institute is run by an unassuming woman in her mid-60s who is known as "Mrs. Johnson" and a gregarious red-headed man that answers to "Sensei." Rumors about the Institute include the supposed presence of a tunnels under Irving that lead to a variety of destinations, including the semi-mythological Armory, headquarters of the Rugsuckers; strange brainwashing rituals that make Blue Blazers follow Buckaroo with slavish devotion; and the rumor that Mrs. Johnson is Blue Blazer leader Blackstone's mother and/or lover (this last one makes Mrs. Johnson shake her head with pity and Blackstone break down in paroxysms of laughter).

Just outside the small town of Kearney, West Virginia is an //extremely// large hole in the ground, a kilometer wide and half a kilometer deep, slowly filling with water. This is **Lake Schroeck**, also known as "The Bowl," the former site of //[[ships:Grover's Corners]// before the owners worked their magic and lifted an entire farmstead into Earth orbit.

====== Earth Orbit ======
Earth orbit is the single most crowded place in the entirety of Fenspace. Along with the approximately 2,500 mundane satellites in orbit serving the needs of the planet, there are dozens if not //hundreds// of fenships and habitats in orbit around Earth at any given time.

The major attraction of low Earth orbit (aside from the amazing view of Earth) is the **[[ships:International Space Station]**. The ISS is the last operational piece of unenhanced manned space hardware left in the solar system. Completed in 2010, the station performs microgravity science experiments. While tourists have made their way onto ISS in the past, the station is not equipped or meant as a tourist destination.

Babylon .5 //blah blah setup fishcakes, etc.//

(etc.)

====== Cislunar Space ======
The Lagrangian points (also Lagrange point, L-point, or libration point), are the five positions in an orbital configuration where a small object affected only by gravity can theoretically be stationary relative to two larger objects (such as a satellite with respect to the Earth and Moon). The Lagrange points mark positions where the combined gravitational pull of the two large masses provides precisely the centripetal force required to rotate with them. They are analogous to geosynchronous orbits in that they allow an object to be in a "fixed" position in space rather than an orbit in which its relative position changes continuously.

==== Lagrange 1 ====
(etc.)

==== Lagrange 2 ====
(etc.)

==== Lagrange 3 ====
The Earth-Luna Lagrange 3 (L3) point is relatively empty, being situated on the opposite side of the planet from Luna and far from the other Lagrange points. The emptiness of the local space explains why L3 is the standard parking orbit for [[ships:Grover's Corners].

(etc.)

==== Lagrange 4 ====
The L4 point is locally known as the "Danelaw toehold," as this is where most 'Danelaw or Space Power-supported habitats are located. The major habitats cluster around [[gazetteer:government:TSAB]'s **Benjamin Franklin Station**, a base built out of a converted [[gazetteer:companies:Rockhounds] mining asteroid.

(etc.)

==== Lagrange 5 ====
L5 has a long association with the exploration and settlement of space, beginning in the 1970s when Gerald K. O'Neill first suggested using the libration point as a place to house space colonies.

The L5 point was one of the first things settled in any permanent manner, first by the Warsies who built their **[[New Yavin]** habitat at L5 and maintain a major presence there. The point is also the home of //[[ships:Stellvia]// station.

(etc.)