Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Random speculation...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What has the existence of handwavium and the things it can do done to psychology and other fields which are predicated on a firm grasp of what is allegedly
"real"? When almost any thing that might once have been deemed the hallucinatory product of a disturbed mind can now possibly exist, especially if
said mind got its hands on some 'wavium, how do those areas that rely upon or assume an invariant consensual reality cope?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That's a really good question, and not one I have an answer for.

A half-assed answer would be that "reality" doesn't shift *that* badly. I mean, handwavium still follows a set of rules no matter how weird the imagination working with it. Yeah, there's stuff possible that otherwise wouldn't be thanks to the wave but it's not like the objective universe has taken a hike Lathe of Heaven-style.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Handwavium detectors. If and when they can get any. At least until they find some handwavium effects that arise from indirect handwavium. I believe the
Professor is the only one who makes them and keeps track of them.
The Professor was the first to make 'wavium detectors, but the Blue Blazers are known to make their own...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
...The tall man picked up an energy bar and unwrapped it. "Let's say," he said, "that this Fruity Oaty Bar represents the normal level of 'wavium in Crystal Tokyo. By today's readings, it would be a Fruity Oaty Bar thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds." He then took a bite off the bar.

OOC: Sorry, I couldn't resist.
TSAB is also capable of producing 'wave' detectors. TSAB does a lot of things with Handwavium that they would like to keep under wraps.

Most Handwaved objects should have a double/shadowed Kirilian Aura, which would provide a hardtech solution to detecting Handwavium.
If they're handwaved, why would any of them have a Kirlian aura?
Why wouldn't they? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirlian_photography]Everything has a Kirlian aura, after all...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I know nothing about Kirlian Auras beyond fictional context. Why would they have double/shadowed Kirlian auras then?I'm certain some of them will but I
don't know why all of them would.
Handwaved objects with an active effect gain a "ghost" aura due to interaction with active handwavium.

This can be easily blocked by either using faraday style shielding or placing it behind somethng with a stronger kirlian aura.
But handwavium doesn't have a reliable interaction with anything with a few exceptions. Terrestrial technology's not one of them, that I know of.

Feinan

Unless you handwave the Kirlian detector as well? That might yield some very fascinating results, when you think about it.
This has interesting implications for followers of animist religions, especially if you believe that there's more to kirlian auras than weird side-effects
of electromagnetism.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.