Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Call for ideas/eventual rough draft] The Jason's Catalog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Feinan

I've decided that I've put enough weird biomodded ideas out there at this point that I should write up a catalog of what the Jason offers to his
clients. While I can go through most of my posts to winnow out items that I've mentioned, I thought I'd put a call out for ideas. Are there things
you'd LIKE to see me offer? Things that you'd have asked me to make for you in the past? If so, let me know. I'd love to get ideas for the Jason to
tinker with, and even going over some of my older things might give me new stuff to play with (New this Christmas! Christmas trees with their own blinking
lights! Aren't bioluminescent organisms FUN?) Feel free to go wild - the gods know the Jason loves to play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jason grinned as he saved the files he'd been working on, then pulled two battered notebooks from a drawer. "Paying work done for the day. Time to
have some fun." He looked between the two notebooks, hmming softly. "What'll I work on tonight....the wompom? Or the Shmoo?"
Trekkers will request biomods from Trek. Warsies will request biomods from Star Wars. Supers will request favorite super biomods. Take faction to taste and
fill in request from there. The mundane world governments' response to custom biomods should be interesting.
If I remember correctly, The Jason doesn't do human biomodding. He tends to work with plants.

One thing that The Jason could sell to Noah - or, most likely, any other station owner - is vegetation that supplements the life-support systems. Seaweed that extracts minerals (including heavy metals) from "gray water" and stores them in leaves at the water line (to make water recycling and mineral extraction easier, but not kill the catfish living in the pipes), leafy plants that give off only enough oxygen to keep the room's air breathable, that sort of thing. Just because the writers know life-support systems don't quirk doesn't mean the characters know, and you can't be too careful when it comes to your own life.

The hospitals would be happy to have a selection of all-natural pharmaceuticals, to save on the expense of lifting them from Earth. A non-addictive novacane or novacane analogue would be one of the less unusual plant products here.

And you can sell Noah one of those partially-bioluminescent trees, if you throw in a power-cable vine to plug into the tree's pot and the wall... 8)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I agree with Rob. The big money will be in plants that can be used for life-support. Also, any sort of foodstuffs that might be able to grow in regolith or
asteroid soil would sell. Even compost would probably go at a premium, since it could provide nutrients not found off-Earth. (The methane produced by a compost
pile could probably be gathered and used.)

Trekkers with an agricultural bent might be interested in qaudro-triticalium wheat. I could see someone selling Tribble Bread easily.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Self popping Popcorn (on the cob?) peel the husk back, and place in covered container. Comes in plain, and buttered flavor. you have to provide your own salt
however.

"Egg" Plant: Produces real eggs. Egg grow from Pidgeon to Ostrich in size over a period of several months.

A productive Bonsai Virginia Sugar Maple tree.

Feinan

*chuckles* Some good ideas here, guys. Thanks, I appreciate the input. Keep the ideas coming? You're causing me to generate new ideas just from what
you've put up.

rob - I can try to put in a cable, though the nice thing about the bioluminescent trees was their not needing power/no untangling the lights/etc. Did you want
it for appearance, or some other reason? To be able to plug other things into the tree, maybe?

*grin* And now I have the idea for two strains of Christmas trees without included lights...but that incorporate aluminum into their structure as they grow.
They come in silver and pink, of course - for those who like a bit of retro in their Christmas.

Filter plants for the water is a GOOD idea. It should be possible for one part to take up the organics for easy composting, while another part takes out the
metals. The thought of life support plants also made me think of potted plants you could scatter around a space station. If a leak develops, floating seed pods
are released that are drawn to the leak and break. The sap/resin seals the leak temporarily and is brightly-colored so that repair crews can easily find the
site to fix. And I've already developed Smokers' Friend plants for Wiregeek - things that filter out smoke/pollutants in the air.

Ebony - no problem with the quadrotriticale. Tribble Bread would be amusing. As for plants that grow in regolith and asteroid soil...I've developed mining
plants that can grow directly on asteroids, so it's not a huge step up to that. There are several different agricultural plants that the Jason has
developed that are 'Mars-hardy' for use by the terraformers.

*laughs* I LOVE the idea of real eggplants. Those are definitely a must. The same for the self-popping popcorn, though I'll have to give that one a bit
more thought. I wonder if I can make it produce the kernels in a pod that acts like the old Jiffy-pop containers. As for the bonsai maple - that's actually
a bit small for practical use. I think a combination with a small rubber tree to make something that can produce already-thick maple syrup might work better.
Especially if you can just take a leaf from the tree and drain it for use on your pancakes.

*grins* Thanks again for the ideas. I love them. More are always welcome. [Image: smile.gif]
Quote:rob - I can try to put in a cable, though the nice thing about the bioluminescent trees was their not needing power/no untangling the lights/etc. Did you want it for appearance, or some other reason? To be able to plug other things into the tree, maybe?
IC: "Both for appearance and for the ability to plug other things in. There's been a line of Trekkie light-up tree ornaments from one of the greeting-card companies for years, and the tree wouldn't look the same without them. And then there's the near-required angel on... the... top... of...   Safety, get off of the tree... "
--
Rob Kelk

One offered in silliness:

Plants that grow to become fully-functional power armour. Or, if you let them grow long enough, fully-functional giant mecha. I suggest this merely to set up
the possibility of somebody selling packets of Gundam seeds...

(ducks and covers)
--
Rob Kelk

<rimshot>
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Feinan

*snorts, grinning* Oh dear. Though rob...if I were making it, they'd be more organic than not. Wouldn't that make them Guyver seeds? [Image: smile.gif]

On a slightly more serious note, having thought about the egg plant some more. Since we've already established that beef is a rarity in Fenspace...we need
a dairy section. I THINK I could tinker up some milkweed. Both white and chocolate varieties. I could try to make butterflies too, I suppose, though I think
the Xanth fans would be after me for stealing their puns. *chuckle* Still, should be able to make some sort of plant that produced butter...and maybe cheese,
too? That might be a bit harder. Have to think about it.

*grin* Oh - and the Jason really IS working on the Shmoo and the wompom. Admittedly, they're more long-term, more-for-fun-than-anything-else projects at
the moment, so don't expect to see them anytime soon. Still, maybe one of these days...
Quote:Wouldn't that make them Guyver seeds? Smile
But there's never been an anime called Guyver SEED... 8)
Quote:Since we've already established that beef is a rarity in Fenspace...
Pork, as well. (Although that leads to the old soldiers' joke with the punchline "That's not a bacon-tree - it's a h'ambush!") Basically, any large animal is conspicuous by its absence in Fenspace.
Quote:I could try to make butterflies too, I suppose, though I think the Xanth fans would be after me for stealing their puns.
Weren't there bread-and-butterflies in Disney's version of Alice in Wonderland? The Jason could always point to that as "prior art".
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Filter plants for the water is a GOOD idea. It should be possible for one part to take up the organics for easy composting, while another part takes out the metals.
And now it looks like http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/ ... erns-clean]the Chinese are working on this too...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote: On a slightly more serious note, having thought about the egg plant some more. Since we've already established that beef is a rarity in Fenspace...we
need a dairy section. I THINK I could tinker up some milkweed. Both white and chocolate varieties. I could try to make butterflies too, I suppose, though I
think the Xanth fans would be after me for stealing their puns. *chuckle* Still, should be able to make some sort of plant that produced butter...and maybe
cheese, too? That might be a bit harder. Have to think about it.
Would the Butterflies be attracted to freshly popped popcorn?

Biomod Kudzu so that it can be converted into a type of petroleum product

How about some actual "Beef-Steak" Tomatoes then? Just slice to the desired thickness and grill.

While we're at it, has any body considered biomodding hive type insects? mod a Queen Ant/Bee to tie them into the local data-net? for use as security
drones, and life support maintenance.
Quote:While we're at it, has any body considered biomodding hive type insects?
Bumblebeavers for construction jobs...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.