Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Draft/RFC] Fodor's Guide to Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(Or should that be "Frodo's Guide to Fenspace"? )

Since I'm writing a long story with people moving from place to place, I thought it might help to list where they can get a decent bite to eat... So, here's a very rough, "zeroth-draft" list of where to get a good meal out in Fenspace. These are just the places I remember being mentioned by somebody; details and other contributions, as always, are encouraged.

Venus

The Tipsy Senshi (**)
Castle Magellan, Level xx
Japanese-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-cheap-sake-blah-blah-yakitori

Earth/Luna/Cislunar Space

Meg's (***)
Stellvia, Main Concourse
American-diner style food

review-here-blah-blah-meatloaf-and-mashed-potatoes-with-gravy-blah-blah-best-tollhouse-cookies-off-earth

Manny O'Kelly's Bar and Grill (*****)
Moonbase Alpha, D Level
American-style Bar and Grill

review-here-blah-blah-brewpub-blah-blah-garlic-steak-sandwich

250K Saloon (***)
Kandor City, West sector
what's-it-like?

review-here-blah-blah

Mars

Callahan's (***)
Port Phobos, Level xx
American-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-inexpensive-beer-blah-blah-smash-your-glass

Main Belt

The Drunken Harlock (**)
Pirate Island
American-style Dockside Bar

review-here-blah-blah-cheap-beer-blah-blah-fishcakes-no-really-fishcakes

The Dancing Shinobi (**)
Village of Hidden Asteroid
Japanese-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-expensive-sake-blah-blah-okonomiyaki
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Dot Matrix's Mainframe Diner
Kandor City, next to Vulpine Fury's Puppetworks

Much like the central location from Mainframe Entertainment's ReBoot.

The proprietor resembles her "canon template" only in that she's got green skin and is moderately attractive. This restaurant is best known for the speed of its service, its Googie architecture and its genial atmosphere. The menu tends to be pricey for what they typically serve, but the wave-modded hyperfast kitchen is certified to not deposit Handwavium in the food.

Oftentimes you actually take longer to enter the restaurant and eat than you do waiting for your order.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House (?*)

(Location? your guess is as good as mine.)

Theme restaurant

Ninjaburger (****)

Wherever you are

Outrageously fast food
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:Dot Matrix's Mainframe Diner
its Googie architecture
I first read that as "its Google architecture"... which might actually be a reasonable description in Mainframe.

How many stars did Dot's get? (It's a five-star scale.)

Quote:Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House (?*)
(Location? your guess is as good as mine.)
Well, there needs to be some restaurant on Starbase 2... 8)
--
Rob Kelk

Well, if you're talking Trekker restaurants, I'd assume there are a "Ten Forward" and a "Quark's" somewhere or other. 8P

Anno Millar's Fusion Rathskeller (****)
"Some Arbitrarily High-rent address in Kandor"

This restaurant has a bizarre feel to its decor, as it is a fusion of comics/anime styles from the Works of Mark Millar and Hideki Anno, with waitresses in uniforms loosely based on a combination of said works and the 'Daneside Japanese restaurant chain "Hanna Miller's." The food and service are exceptional, with price points ranging from "teenage first date" to "50th anniversary blowout."

However an entire section of the most daring [and delicious] recipes require either a signed release or obvious biomods before they will be served, due to the chef's penchant for 'wave cookery. That said, none of the "accidental" biomods here has been determined to be a suboptimal occurence to the recipient.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Venus

The Tipsy Senshi (**)
Castle Magellan, Level xx
Japanese-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-cheap-sake-blah-blah-yakitori

Luna

Manny O'Kelly's Bar and Grill (*****)
Moonbase Alpha, D Level
American-style Bar and Grill

review-here-blah-blah-brewpub-blah-blah-garlic-steak-sandwich

250K Saloon (***)
Kandor City, West sector
what's-it-like?

review-here-blah-blah

Anno Millar's Fusion Rathskeller (****)
Kandor City, The Watchtower
Fusion-American-Japanese-style Family Restaurant

This restaurant has a bizarre feel to its decor, as it is a fusion of comics/anime styles from the Works of Mark Millar and Hideki Anno, with waitresses in uniforms loosely based on a combination of said works and the 'Daneside Hawai'ian restaurant chain http://www.annamillersrestaurant.com/]Anna Miller's. The food and service are exceptional, with price points ranging from "teenage first date" to "50th anniversary blowout."

However, an entire section of the most daring (and delicious) recipes require either a signed release or obvious biomods before they will be served, due to the chef's penchant for 'wave cookery. That said, none of the "accidental" biomods here has been determined to be a suboptimal occurence to the recipient.

Dot Matrix's Mainframe Diner (**)
Kandor City, somewhere (next to Vulpine Fury's Puppetworks)
American-style Diner

Much like the central location from Mainframe Entertainment's ReBoot.

The proprietor resembles her "canon template" only in that she's got green skin and is moderately attractive. This restaurant is best known for the speed of its service, its Googie architecture and its genial atmosphere. The menu tends to be pricey for what they typically serve, but the wave-modded hyperfast kitchen is certified to not deposit Handwavium in the food.

Oftentimes you actually take longer to enter the restaurant and eat than you do waiting for your order.

Cislunar Space

Meg's (***)
Stellvia, Main Concourse
American-diner style food

review-here-blah-blah-meatloaf-and-mashed-potatoes-with-gravy-blah-blah-best-tollhouse-cookies-off-earth

Mars

Quark's (***)
Utopia Planitia, somewhere
Theme restaurant

review-here-blah-blah-no-live-klingon-specialties-blah-blah-d'abo-girls

Callahan's (***)
Port Phobos, Level xx
American-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-inexpensive-beer-blah-blah-smash-your-glass

Ten Forward (**)
Starbase 1, Level 10
Theme restaurant

review-here-blah-blah-blocks-of-coloured-"food-slot"-somethings-blah-blah-no-real-alcohol

Main Belt

The Drunken Harlock (**)
Pirate Island
American-style Dockside Bar

review-here-blah-blah-cheap-beer-blah-blah-fishcakes-no-really-fishcakes

The Dancing Shinobi (**)
Village of Hidden Asteroid
Japanese-style Bar

review-here-blah-blah-expensive-sake-blah-blah-okonomiyaki

Ninjaburger (****)
Wherever you are (but based in the Village of Hidden Asteroid)
Outrageously fast food

review-here-blah-blah-burgers-and-fries-blah-blah-how-fast?

Beyond

Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House (?*)
Starbase 2
Theme restaurant

review-here-blah-blah-teener-hangout-blah-blah-mind-your-tastebuds

Any more?
--
Rob Kelk

Hm. Surely Bennigan's or Ruby Tuesday's or TGIFriday's or one of who knows how many other theme restaurant chains must have opened up a franchise
somewhere the tourists go regularly, done up in 50s Sci-Fi style instead of their generic "antiques on the walls" look...
-- Bob
---------
Quote:Hm. Surely Bennigan's or Ruby Tuesday's or TGIFriday's or one of who knows how many other theme restaurant chains must have opened up a franchise somewhere the tourists go regularly, done up in 50s Sci-Fi style instead of their generic "antiques on the walls" look...
So far, the tourists go to Kandor, Helium, and Stellvia. Stellvia already has its restaurant listed. Therefore...

Speaking of Stellvia ... I know Fodor's also lists hotels, but as yet we've only established the one, and it's my baby. (Although I've dropped a few hints for Noah's next hotel, that's still "next-gen" as yet.) Anyone want to speculate on what hotels are where in Fenspace?
--
Rob Kelk

Hm. Backspacing for a moment... Now that I think about it, there really ought to be a http://www.johnnyrockets.com/index2.php]Johnny Rockets somewhere in Fenspace.

As to the hotel question, well, hm. I suggest that the only 'Dane chain that's made it into space be Hilton, just so we can ape Heinlein's use of "hilton" as a generic term for hotel (see Podkayne of Mars for the examples that come quickly to my mind). There should be big facilities in Kandor and Helium, and Hilton should at least be considering emplacing their own space station/resort to compete with Stellvia in the orbital market. The possibility of a Crystal Paris Hilton should not be discounted, solely for the giggle factor and the possibility of a certain vapid blonde pseudocelebrity temporarily adopting Senshi garb to promote it.

Disney's World of course has a dozen or so Disney theme hotels, if the whole thing isn't treated as a single monster hotel with a theme park inside it.

There ought to be waystations -- the equivalent of the local motel -- out in the belt and further.

ETA: Oh, no, Hilton shouldn't be the only chain up there. Motel Six needs to be in Fenspace. "We'll leave the running lights on for you."
-- Bob
---------

Feinan

*chuckle* For those who don't know, I'm in Columbus, Ohio. For years, we had a HUGE Tiki/Polynesian restaurant here called the Kahiki Supper Club. Very
well known. It closed down some years back, sadly, before I ever got the chance to eat there, but I did get a chance to try a place that was run by a few
people who had worked there. There's got to be at least one big, cheesy Tiki lounge/restaurant. Complete with all the accessories - torches, big huge
statues/heads, tons of tiki masks...the Kahiki even had an indoor rainforest, if I remember descriptions of it correctly, or at least something to that effect.
As for where it might be found - I'd think it'd be a perfect theme restaurant for Monster Asteroid, yes?

And for those of you who want to see what the Kahiki looked like, you can find a little info on the place here.
Well, that might be a Disney facility, inspired by the Enchanted Tiki Room attraction and the Polynesian Resort at WDW.
-- Bob
---------
Speaking of Disney facilities, Walt Disney World is closing the Adventurers Club (details here). There's a petition going around to keep it open, but if it does close for good,
I'm sure the Fenspace Pulpers might see what they could do about recreating it in space, or something very similar.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Geeze, how did I miss this? I've never even been to Pleasure Island, let alone the club... Geeze.
-- Bob
---------
Y'know, it's kinda sad that Port Lowell is in a crater rather than a rift like the version in the Armitage III OAVs. With all those hanging buildings,
a resturant at the bottom of one with a glass floor could be interesting.

If anyone has a Geofrount handy however...
No. No. Please do not bring Evangelion fen into space.
-- Bob
---------
It's a bit late for that - IIRC, the Bullet Boy Express was one of the First Fen Up, and "Asuka" is his co-pilot. (Okay, Gina just looks like Asuka. But still...)
--
Rob Kelk

Oh well. As long as they leave the angst and the mecha behind.
-- Bob
---------
Quick topups here:

250K Saloon (**1/2)
Kandor City, Old Town West
Fusion American-Asian-European-style Public House

The Saloon is a cosmonaut's hangout, offering good, inexpensive drinks in large quantities. The bar serves several different brands of locally-brewed beer along with the usual old standbys from Earth. The interior decor is deliberately cheap, as the Saloon is a place where people go for the food and/or the regulars, not to gawk at the random crap attached to the walls.

The menu is in a constant state of flux, offering food from the United States, Japan, Mexico, Italy, China, Thailand, England, Canada, dishes and ingredients from all over the galaxy, and miscellaneous combinations of any of those according to the chefs’ whims. The only constants are the excellent fried dill pickles.

Tranquility Drafthouse (****)
Port Luna, North Ring 4
American-style Dine-In Theatre

Put together by a group of expatriate fendanes from Austin, the Drafthouse is a clone of the famous Alamo Drafthouse. Food and drinks are served inside the movie theatre, which plays new releases and various classic movies at the whim of management. The food is served by a staff of Ninja waiters (who do in fact have to have at least some Ninja training before hiring). Children under the age of 6 are not allowed, and all children are not allowed entry after 6 p.m. local time.

The menu is basic, albiet high-quality, American fare, with additions depending on the film playing.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Hotel Bradbury (*****)

Location: Mars somewhere touristy above the future waterline, perhaps near the ski slopes of Olympus Mons

An exceptionally tasteful, recently opened hotel designed primarily to cater to 'Danes. Decor includes replicas and originals of some rare sci-fi art and artifacts from the Forrest J. Ackerman collection. The rooms are spacious and tasteful, with the expected amenities, with rates from the "ya gotta have SOMETHIN'!" to "Thank you, Mister Trump, we'll feed a village in southeast Asia for a year with this." An interesting tidbit is that room 451 contains an extensive library with signed editions of several authors. Of note to Potterites is the full collection of Signed UK First Editions of the Harry Potter books, signed in loco by Rowling herself. Sadly, this room is heavily booked [OUCH! The PUN! It BUUURNS! Ack! I did it again!] up to two years in advance, with a formidable security deposit. Unlike many Western hotels, the Bradbury DOES have a 13th floor, including the Rod Serling, Stephen King, and HP Lovecraft suites.

The rest of the 2010 rooms are fairly typical "high class 'Dane hotel."

Cafe Lankhmar (*****)
Located within the Hotel Bradbury

Full service hotel restaurant, providing typical "room service" as well as the pseudo-medieval themed dishes for the restaurant itself. Of particular note, the sommelier stocks several excellent Martian Red wines as well as the expected "Solar System's Finest beverages."

-- James Nicoll
Quote:... an extensive library with signed editions of several authors.
I (think I) know what you mean, but this is Fenspace... Did you mean "signed editions of several authors' works" or "signed AI-personality-clone editions of several authors"?

"Yeah, we've got three Kim Stanley Robinsons, two Spider Robinsons, a J. Michael Straczynski, and a matched pair of L. Ron Hubbards in stock today. Which do you want downloaded to your PC? ... Are you sure you want a Hubbard? You fly a DC-8, right? There could be interface issues." 8)
--
Rob Kelk

The former, but as you said, the latter would be funny.

-- James Nicoll
Valhalla (****)
Greenwood Station
Steakhouse & Bar

What does the fan-on-the-street expect to see in a place devoted to hard-rock mining? Well, if he's a sci-fi sort, he expects guys in spacesuits with laser drills. But if he's a fantasy fan, he expects ... dwarves. And as every good fan knows, All Dwarves Are Vikings. Thus was born the concept of the First Viking Mead-Hall In Space, after a deadpan comment from Rei teased Chris on the 'Viking Dwarves' one too many times. It's possibly the only place in Fenspace where you can go to be served beer and beef by burly bearded men in chainmail (even if they do stand eye-to-eye with a Dalek). The food is high quality without being haute cuisine, and runs heavily to beef products with a leavening of fish and a special vegetarian menu for Rei. Clientele ranges from miners spending their bonuses to business guests in from 'Daneside to random wandering Fen.

When asked about Valkyries, Marsden replied that he only hires Elves for that position. (Two weeks later, the first waitress appeared at the restaurant. So far, Marsden has held good to his promise.)

As the population of the station grows (by 2012 it has a permanent population of two to three thousand, with approximately twice that in transients, mostly miners and students), other restaurateurs have been invited in, including Fennish and 'Daneside franchises such as Chili's, Ninja Burger, and the Cat Cafe. There are also two highly competitive pizzerias, one New York style, and one Chicago style, that have been known to hire the occasional ninja for their own purposes...

Finally, despite being infamously known as the 'School of Hard Rocks', the campus food court at Greenwood U is not run by DAKA.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Y'know, if we've got a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callahan%2 ... ime_Saloon]Callahan's in Fenspace (and we do!), we really should have a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_White_Hart]White Hart, a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_Gavagan%27s_Bar]Gavagan's, and a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_Tavern]Draco Tavern... and maybe even a few http://jtas.sjgames.com/chat.html]Brubek's on various stations. But do we need to write up all of them?
--
Rob Kelk

Nah, I don't think so. Let them be discovered - or not - as the needs of the Drama Gods allow.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Pages: 1 2