Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC]Never Take Kemwer's (With an E) Name in Vain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Why am I here?" Kemwer asked irritably. One usher had been trying to grab for Kemwer's videocamera, The guy cracked his head on a wall he could
have sworn was ten feet away and fell unconscious.

"Come on , you just have to see this. "Dr. Clark Sanders told him The name FP had given from the other side was Lucinda Tempscire. Apparently,
enough money can get you anywhere, and due to a Star Trek replicator Kemwer had handwaved could produce gold bars provided one didn't ask to provide too
much of it.

"Channelers? You have to got to be kidding me. There is no way that handwavium calls up spirits from past times. Hell, there's no way one can call up
spirits of the dead in the first place unless you count Stellvia's rumored dimensional incursion. They do not come and possess people to give them the
"Wisdom of the Ages. " Kemwer put little finger quotes around the last part of the sentence as he displayed the fourth ring on his hand.

"I don't mind channelers fleecing them out of their own desire to believe and stupidity.Why am I here, paying seven hundred fifty to see a false
channeler?" Kemwer's words were carried very quietly to his two companions.

"She's using your name. " FP returned to me quietly. The rings on his fingers allow me to hold private conversations in the middle of a room as
long as one directs the wind carefully. The Rings of the Elves appear to be slightly empathic in nature which was why Kemwer used them more often than other
items.

"Kemwer?" Kemwer had signed his name as Robert Rumboldt in the guest books. Fake psychics and mediums usually tossed out skeptics as negative
vibrations in the astral plane disturbing the sympathetic harmonies or some other gobbledygook. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Handwavium
was extraordinary when you see floating islands.

Unfortunately, this had given a boost to the con artist, faith healer, medium and spiritualist market. The very fact that it's handwaved means that it
hadn't worked like that before. This is why Dr. Sanders is so obsessed about proving science above handwavium. Science has replicable results. His latest
design is a positronic brain patented by Isaac Asimov in the Sixties formed by crystal growing that looked remarkably similar to biological cell division.
That's why Kemwer was wondering why Dr. Sanders had dragged him to the channeler. Dr. Sanders had not signed his name as usual, instead he was using the
alias James Campion.

Kemwer looked at the hardwood floor. The ushers were offering pillows at ten bucks each. Eighty rows of ten people equalled eight thousand dollars. The
videocamera was covered in an illusion. Psychics and such don't allow videocameras. It made it too easy to spot the wires and earpieces.

A Brad Pitt clone(clone as in looks like him, not clone in the sense that the Professor kidnapped him and made a twin) stepped onto the stage. He gave the
ground rules, no flash photography(they had confiscated all the cameras before anyway, except Kemwer's ), no applause, and no bathroom breaks. The clone
explained that it disturbed Aria's concentration and even the closing of a door could break her sympathetic link.

Or someone distracted by the bladders were less distracted by gobbledegook such as was being spouted by the emcee lookalike.

"Eight thousand years ago, Kemwur was a High Priest of Atlantis. He lived for three hundred years before ascending and acquiring the wisdom of the ages.
"

What wisdom? The Stone Ages? Eight thousand years ago humans were living in trees. (By the by, the Bible's age of the world is six thousand years.
Don't trust books that say that is the only one you'll ever need to read. There's two thousand, eight hundred and six of them that all say that. )

"He spoke with the oracle of Delphi, he delved in to the Sacred Writings of the Rosicrucians. Now watch as Aria calls him forth from the Cosmic All.
"

Dr. Sanders looked at Kemwer. FP looked at Kemwer. He looked in mirror made of ice as it was coalesced in his hand through the power of the Ring of Water. He
now knew the term, face like thunder.

"She's using my name- " Kemwer growled as the voice carried to his partners.

"Technically, she's spelling it with a U. "

"Wars have been started over such impersonations. "

The lighting deepened to rose and the chiffon banners started swaying in the breeze provided by fans in the back. Kemwer had looked through the walls.
Changing the refractive index was instinctive when one wore the Ring of Fire.

Aria in a caftan and sacred amulet descended from a curving stairway. There was mood music to accompany her descent.

There's a tradition in fantasy novels about how a Dark Lord can pour physical sensations into thoughts and thus one feels the baleful influence of watching
eyes. Kemwer could have been one of those as frost formed on the walls.

"Welcome, Seekers After Divine Truth. We are going to have a wonderful spiritual experience together here today and achieve a new plane of enlightenment.
"

There was applause as people ignored the no-applause edict.

"But you mustn't applaud me. I am only the channel through which Kemwur manifests. Kemwur first came to me five years ago and it frightened me. I
didn't want to believe. It took me a year to realize that I had become a focus for cosmic energies. Today, it will be the wisdom of Kemwur you hear, not
that of mine. If... "nice theatrical pause. Good for every performance. " ...he deigns to come. He is a sage, not a servant to be bidden. "

"What a bunch of claptrap. " Kemwer told FP and Sanders. She was making him -annoyed-.

People wouldn't pay seven hundred and fifty for a no-show.

"Kemwur will only come if the earthly plane is aligned. If there are any of you who harbor negative vibrations, contact will be denied. "

If she looked at Kemwer at that moment, she'd be very surprised at how many thoughts he was harboring ranging from exposing her as a fraud to immuring her
in ice and seeing how she handled being a frozen corpse. She passed over Kemwer's notice as the Rings of Air and Water handled the cloaking aspect.

"Do you believe?Are you thinking positive thoughts, positive emotions?"

Kemwer's current thought was about immolating her in magma. One just had to get fire hot enough to melt stone.

"I sense that every one of you is thinking positive thoughts. Now to bring Kemwur among us, you must help me. You must calm your center You must
concentrate on your inner soul-self. "

Kemwer's light folded around to give him 360-degree vision. This usually gave him a slight migraine. He did this with nary a twinge. Over half the
clientele had their eyes shut, and some folded their hands together in imitation of prayer.

And then Kemwer was hit with an unexpected sensation. It was the sense of belief trying to reconfigure him as to what he wanted. The belief rolled off him like
a duck. Kemwer smiled.

He realized what was going on. It was an indirect attack by somebody who thought Kemwer had used the handwaved avatar method of becoming a god. He had in one
sense only one believer, that of Marduk. Eighty believers ran up against in another sense, millions, as the stuff in his body and blood overwhelmed the
reconfiguration attempt.

"So that's what happening. " Kemwer thought. Marduk had told him there was only one who was using his name. If he did anything with extraordinary
powers, he supported the claim of phony psychics everywhere. If he didn't, eventually there'd be enough to leave him mortal, rather than a god.

"I see why you two wanted me to come. " Kemwer told FP znd Sanders. He thought a bit. He needed to do something about this.

"What's got you so happy, Kemwer?"

"Shh.. Watch the show. " Aria came in with the same mood lightning. Kemwer felt remarkably lighthearted about producing two more gold bars. He earned
money the the old-fashioned way, by working, for his secret identity. He drew a sword out of it's scabbard in the middle of the channeler's speech.

"Welcome O-Seekers of Divine Truth-I'm a fraud, a fake, a charlatan. " Her face expressed horror when she heard the words come out of her mouth.
" I've never channeled a spirit in my life. Kemwur was something Ted made up. I was running a pyramid scheme in Chicago, Illinois at the time. The
feds were closing in on me, and I'd already be up on charges of insurance fraud, so I changed my name-My real name's Gail Archten. I stashed the money
there and sequestered for a year working on the voice of Kemwur. -"

There was an enormous crash from the back. The videocamera operator had dropped the videocamera. The emcee had come back on as Aria had been frozen in horror
at the words coming out of her mouth.

"Which one's Ted?" Kemwer asked from the audience.

"The one in the blue shirt at the back. " Kemwer spotted him instantly. It was the one trying to sneak away.

"Then I contacted a guy I knew, his name was Chuck Elliott, you probably know him as Charles Akeling. We worked together on a couple of chain-letter
scams, so I told him to take me to Salem and break into the channeling business. "

Dr. Sanders had somehow managed to get into the security guard's way and knock them out while Kemwer kept the videocamera in full view.

"Chuck always did have a bad habit of writing everything down. You can't blackmail me, Gail., he said. Wanna bet? I asked him. I told him it was in
the safe deposit box in Dayton, Ohio, ready to be released if anything happened to me. It's not. It's behind the portrait of Atlantis in my bedroom.
The combinations's seven right, six left, eight right. He taught me all about how one softens the marks in the seminar, so they'll tell you all about
their love life in the private sessions. Then you send them copies of the videotapes-"There were audible gasps.

-":and then he introduced me to one of the orderlies at the Neogenesis Rehab Center, and deep masseuse at New Lilac Spa, so I could convince the marks
that Kemwur knows all and sees all. I learned how to change my voice so as to pretend I was channeling spirits, although I didn't think learning all that
junk from Edgar Cayce and Madame Blavatsky was necessary. You guys pay me money as long as I pretend to care about your romances and gallstones-"Aria
seemed to recollect herself as the audible rumble became a growl .

She tried to run off the stage, but Dr. Sanders maneuvered the security guard into her so that she managed to steady herself from the back while the security
guard cracked his head on the floor. He'd have a nasty concussion. Dr. Sanders' specialty is in medicine, you know.

"Are you saying you're the one doing the voice of Kemwur?" Kemwer asked.

"Of course. There's no such thing as channeling the spirits from the great beyond. "She looked around, panicky for an escape route.

"Are you saying Greta Sedona is a fake too?" Kemwer asked.

"Oh, yes. They're all fakes. Greta Sedona, Dominic Chakravanti, Randall Ceti. "

"Do they all use blackmail like you?" Any minute now she'd remember to cover her mouth with her hands, the way she was staring like a frightened
rabbit .

"No. Swami Brahma uses extortion, and Cephera uses posthypnotic suggestion. "

"What about Charles Akeling? What's his scam?"

"Investment fraud. "She cupped her heads as the clip-on microphone cut off.

"Charles tells his clients their dead relations want them to invest in certain stocks-"At the point, Aria had the brainstorm to cover her mouth which
gave her answers in a resulting mumble. The emcee finally succeeded in stepping in front of Aria.

"Thank you for coming. Videos-""He had second thoughts. " That is, personally autographed books are on sale in the front counter.
"Two security guards gripped Aria's hands and feet and carried her bodily off the stage.

Kemwer had located Ted's body heat and saw him through the building. Freedom Princess obligingly pulled Dr. Sanders and Kemwer through the wall while
Kemwer shielded them from sight and mind.

"Hi Ted,. "Kemwer smiled.

"I-I have connections. You'll regret it. " He tried. The sword had been resheathed. Kemwer drew it again.

"Who gave you the idea of Kemwur?" Kemwer asked him.

"A guy who sprung up for an operation to replace my missing leg. He said all I had to do was this to pay him back. He said I'd make it back in spades
in this operation, but I could quit anytime. "

"How did you contact him?"

"There's a code and a number. " He gave Kemwer the code, the number, and who recommended him.

"What did he call himself?"

"He called himself Mazzare. Can I go now?" He whined plaintively. Kemwer sniffed the air. Kemwer had acute human senses, but one didn't need that
to smell the air had definitely become unpleasant. Dr. Sanders put him to sleep. I resheathed my sword.

Mazzare's one of the supersoldiers that Dr. Grey has personally serving him. It's the Italian word for seer and he's pretty good at putting
together coherent pictures of information. Kemwer was wearing the Band of Blacknil The obvious thing was either to kill Ted thereby removing information or to
dump him in a black hole.

It took a few minutes for Kemwer to shove Ted into an empty parallel from the elevator. He'd have to come back later to petrify him with the Wand of Jadis.

"Let's see him try to get information about vanishing. " Kemwer smiled happily.

It had looked like Dr. Sanders would have had to testify on the preliminary hearings, which would have proven awkward since Kemwer was the one holding the
videocamera. She got into a fight with her lawyers over the insanity defense, since she claimed dark powers had been at work.

On the other hand, her fringerprints matched her Illinois driver's license, and every lead she had mentioned checked out, and one could leave it to the
police to roll up the false psychics she had mentioned. Charles Akeling was up on insider trading charges and half the psychics in the city were running for
the hills.

New mediums and psychics then moved in advertising themselves as restorers of balance and the spirits one can trust. This only proves P. T Barnum's old
adage, there's a sucker born every minute and two to take them.

It was a good two weeks.

The police rolled up the psychic network depriving Grey of an important resource that he could have used to turn him mortal, Kemwer had snapped up one of his
unwitting agents to interrogate, and most importantly, Mazzare had no information from his pawn as to what had happened. He placed the Sword of Veracity from
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys back in it's case.
Okay, I'm a-gonna go through here and do a point by point analysis. This will be blunt and painful, much like a root canal with substandard tools. Just remember, you RFC'd, so C you shall get. Onward.

> "Why am I here?" Kemwer asked irritably. One usher had been trying to
> grab for Kemwer's videocamera, The guy cracked his head on a wall he
> could have sworn was ten feet away and fell unconscious.

In media res, not a bad way to start, though not giving the reader a way to know WTF just happened is bad form. Who is the Kemwer, how did he chuck an usher ten feet into a wall, and why should we care about the guy?

> "Come on , you just have to see this. "Dr. Clark Sanders told him The
> name FP had given from the other side was Lucinda Tempscire.
> Apparently, enough money can get you anywhere, and due to a Star Trek
> replicator Kemwer had handwaved could produce gold bars provided one
> didn't ask to provide too much of it.

*BZZT!* Star Trek replicator technology is NOT KOSHER under the current rules of engagement. I don't care how neato-keen this Kemwer joker is supposed to be, you don't get that kind of a gimme here.

> "Channelers? You have to got to be kidding me. There is no way that
> handwavium calls up spirits from past times. Hell, there's no way one
> can call up spirits of the dead in the first place unless you count
> Stellvia's rumored dimensional incursion. They do not come and
> possess people to give them the "Wisdom of the Ages. " Kemwer put
> little finger quotes around the last part of the sentence as he
> displayed the fourth ring on his hand.
>
> "I don't mind channelers fleecing them out of their own desire to
> believe and stupidity.Why am I here, paying seven hundred fifty to
> see a false channeler?" Kemwer's words were carried very quietly to
> his two companions.

Could easily be one paragraph.

> "She's using your name. " FP returned to me quietly. The rings on his
> fingers allow me to hold private conversations in the middle of a
> room as long as one directs the wind carefully. The Rings of the
> Elves appear to be slightly empathic in nature which was why Kemwer
> used them more often than other items.

Serious pronoun/narrator trouble in this paragraph. The Mgt reminds you that hastily adapting a first-person narrative to third person omnicient is bulky as hell and generally not worth the trouble.

Also, what Rings? How do they work? Explain. Quickly. The Mgt would also like to remind you that handwavium is not magic, nor should it be treated as such. I fear I will have to remind you of this multiple times over the rest of this piece.

> "Kemwer?" Kemwer had signed his name as Robert Rumboldt in the guest
> books. Fake psychics and mediums usually tossed out skeptics as
> negative vibrations in the astral plane disturbing the sympathetic
> harmonies or some other gobbledygook. Extraordinary claims require
> extraordinary proof. Handwavium was extraordinary when you see
> floating islands.

Bit of a non sequitur in the last sentence.

> Unfortunately, this had given a boost to the con artist, faith
> healer, medium and spiritualist market. The very fact that it's
> handwaved means that it hadn't worked like that before. This is why
> Dr. Sanders is so obsessed about proving science above handwavium.
> Science has replicable results. His latest design is a positronic
> brain patented by Isaac Asimov in the Sixties formed by crystal
> growing that looked remarkably similar to biological cell division.
> That's why Kemwer was wondering why Dr. Sanders had dragged him to
> the channeler. Dr. Sanders had not signed his name as usual, instead
> he was using the alias James Campion.

Total non sequitur in the infodump here. Sanders' obessions and inventions are not important to the story. Our heroes are infiltrating a medium show, not gabbing on about their projects.

> Kemwer looked at the hardwood floor. The ushers were offering pillows
> at ten bucks each. Eighty rows of ten people equalled eight thousand
> dollars. The videocamera was covered in an illusion. Psychics and
> such don't allow videocameras. It made it too easy to spot the wires
> and earpieces.

"Illusion?" Once again, handwavium does not equal magic.

> A Brad Pitt clone(clone as in looks like him, not clone in the sense
> that the Professor kidnapped him and made a twin) stepped onto the
> stage. He gave the ground rules, no flash photography(they had
> confiscated all the cameras before anyway, except Kemwer's ), no
> applause, and no bathroom breaks. The clone explained that it
> disturbed Aria's concentration and even the closing of a door could
> break her sympathetic link.

Parenthetical asides break the flow of narrative. Get rid of them & stop trying to be cute mid-sentence. Take it from someone who's Been There; it doesn't work and makes you look like a prat.

> Or someone distracted by the bladders were less distracted by
> gobbledegook such as was being spouted by the emcee lookalike.

This makes little sense. Actually, it makes no sense.

> "Eight thousand years ago, Kemwur was a High Priest of Atlantis. He
> lived for three hundred years before ascending and acquiring the
> wisdom of the ages. "

So far so good...

> What wisdom? The Stone Ages? Eight thousand years ago humans were
> living in trees. (By the by, the Bible's age of the world is six
> thousand years. Don't trust books that say that is the only one
> you'll ever need to read. There's two thousand, eight hundred and six
> of them that all say that. )

Factually incorrect. By 6,000 BC human civilization was already beginning to take recognizable shape in Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley, Egypt and China. It may have been the Stone Ages, but it was a hell of a lot more civilized than the layman might think.

Also, while the part of me that is a strong Dawkins-esque atheist approves of the sentiment in the aside, the part of me that is a prose stylist wants to beat you to death with a hammer. Soapboxing is bad, especially if it's a narrator aside.

> "He spoke with the oracle of Delphi, he delved in to the Sacred
> Writings of the Rosicrucians. Now watch as Aria calls him forth from
> the Cosmic All. "

"into" should be one word. Other than that pretty standard Nuaj blather. No complaints as to style here.

> Dr. Sanders looked at Kemwer. FP looked at Kemwer. He looked in
> mirror made of ice as it was coalesced in his hand through the power
> of the Ring of Water. He now knew the term, face like thunder.

Once again, handwavium does not equal magic. You're going to have to explain this shit in terms that make sense given the current consensus, or I'm gonna get angry.

> "She's using my name- " Kemwer growled as the voice carried to his
> partners.
>
> "Technically, she's spelling it with a U. "
>
> "Wars have been started over such impersonations. "

*rimshot*

> The lighting deepened to rose and the chiffon banners started swaying
> in the breeze provided by fans in the back. Kemwer had looked through
> the walls. Changing the refractive index was instinctive when one
> wore the Ring of Fire.

What?

> Aria in a caftan and sacred amulet descended from a curving stairway.
> There was mood music to accompany her descent.
>
> There's a tradition in fantasy novels about how a Dark Lord can pour
> physical sensations into thoughts and thus one feels the baleful
> influence of watching eyes. Kemwer could have been one of those as
> frost formed on the walls.

And nobody else is noticing any of this? They're all sitting enraptured and missed the whole bit where the temperature's dropping and the wall turned transparent? *restrains urge to hit author*

> "Welcome, Seekers After Divine Truth. We are going to have a
> wonderful spiritual experience together here today and achieve a new
> plane of enlightenment. " There was applause as people ignored the
> no-applause edict. "But you mustn't applaud me. I am only the channel
> through which Kemwur manifests. Kemwur first came to me five years
> ago and it frightened me. I didn't want to believe. It took me a year
> to realize that I had become a focus for cosmic energies. Today, it
> will be the wisdom of Kemwur you hear, not that of mine. If... "nice
> theatrical pause. Good for every performance. " ...he deigns to come.
> He is a sage, not a servant to be bidden. "

Allright, this little speech is solid. Well, solid for the concept anyway. Could be tightened up some but that's a minor point.

> "What a bunch of claptrap. " Kemwer told FP and Sanders. She was
> making him -annoyed-. People wouldn't pay seven hundred and fifty for
> a no-show.

> "Kemwur will only come if the earthly plane is aligned. If there are
> any of you who harbor negative vibrations, contact will be denied. "
>
> If she looked at Kemwer at that moment, she'd be very surprised at
> how many thoughts he was harboring ranging from exposing her as a
> fraud to immuring her in ice and seeing how she handled being a
> frozen corpse. She passed over Kemwer's notice as the Rings of Air
> and Water handled the cloaking aspect.

HANDWAVIUM DOES NOT E-

Oh, skip it. At this point I'm just going to mark it.

Right. That's four.

> "Do you believe?Are you thinking positive thoughts, positive
> emotions?"
>
> Kemwer's current thought was about immolating her in magma. One just
> had to get fire hot enough to melt stone.

Without killing everybody else in the fucking room.

Five.

> "I sense that every one of you is thinking positive thoughts. Now to
> bring Kemwur among us, you must help me. You must calm your center
> You must concentrate on your inner soul-self. "
>
> Kemwer's light folded around to give him 360-degree vision. This
> usually gave him a slight migraine. He did this with nary a twinge.
> Over half the clientele had their eyes shut, and some folded their
> hands together in imitation of prayer.

The mechanics here make no sense. Six.

> And then Kemwer was hit with an unexpected sensation. It was the
> sense of belief trying to reconfigure him as to what he wanted. The
> belief rolled off him like a duck. Kemwer smiled. He realized what
> was going on. It was an indirect attack by somebody who thought
> Kemwer had used the handwaved avatar method of becoming a god. He had
> in one sense only one believer, that of Marduk. Eighty believers ran
> up against in another sense, millions, as the stuff in his body and
> blood overwhelmed the reconfiguration attempt.
>
> "So that's what happening. " Kemwer thought. Marduk had told him
> there was only one who was using his name. If he did anything with
> extraordinary powers, he supported the claim of phony psychics
> everywhere. If he didn't, eventually there'd be enough to leave him
> mortal, rather than a god.
>
> "I see why you two wanted me to come. " Kemwer told FP znd Sanders.
> He thought a bit. He needed to do something about this.

Right. I think you are seriously overusing the "belief forges handwavium" concept, and in ways that I don't see as compatible.

I'm going to speak the Word of Mod: Until modified by Consensus, belief does not radically alter a handwavium-altered person's mind, memories or abilities. Unless you can convince the rest of the group otherwise, that's my final word on this. Also, you can stop pestering Cobalt about A.C. and her amazing Sailor Mars impression while you're at it.

>
>
> "What's got you so happy, Kemwer?"
>
> "Shh.. Watch the show. " Aria came in with the same mood lightning.
> Kemwer felt remarkably lighthearted about producing two more gold
> bars. He earned money the the old-fashioned way, by working, for his
> secret identity. He drew a sword out of it's scabbard in the middle
> of the channeler's speech.
>
> "Welcome O-Seekers of Divine Truth-I'm a fraud, a fake, a charlatan.
> " Her face expressed horror when she heard the words come out of her
> mouth. " I've never channeled a spirit in my life. Kemwur was
> something Ted made up. I was running a pyramid scheme in Chicago,
> Illinois at the time. The feds were closing in on me, and I'd already
> be up on charges of insurance fraud, so I changed my name-My real
> name's Gail Archten. I stashed the money there and sequestered for a
> year working on the voice of Kemwur. -"

A shocking turn of events! Or maybe not.

> There was an enormous crash from the back. The videocamera operator
> had dropped the videocamera. The emcee had come back on as Aria had
> been frozen in horror at the words coming out of her mouth.
>
> "Which one's Ted?" Kemwer asked from the audience.
>
> "The one in the blue shirt at the back. " Kemwer spotted him
> instantly. It was the one trying to sneak away.
>
> "Then I contacted a guy I knew, his name was Chuck Elliott, you
> probably know him as Charles Akeling. We worked together on a couple
> of chain-letter scams, so I told him to take me to Salem and break
> into the channeling business. " Dr. Sanders had somehow managed to
> get into the security guard's way and knock them out while Kemwer
> kept the videocamera in full view.

I only know who's talking here from context. This could be cleaned up. The stage directions should be their own paragraph. And "somehow"? Even the narrator doesn't know? C'mon, man, that's just sloppy.

> "Chuck always did have a bad habit of writing everything down. You
> can't blackmail me, Gail., he said. Wanna bet? I asked him. I told
> him it was in the safe deposit box in Dayton, Ohio, ready to be
> released if anything happened to me. It's not. It's behind the
> portrait of Atlantis in my bedroom. The combinations's seven right,
> six left, eight right. He taught me all about how one softens the
> marks in the seminar, so they'll tell you all about their love life
> in the private sessions. Then you send them copies of the
> videotapes-"There were audible gasps.

Audience reaction should either be seperated from this para, or the whole monologue should be one block with no reactions until the end.

> -":and then he introduced me to one of the orderlies at the
> Neogenesis Rehab Center, and deep masseuse at New Lilac Spa, so I
> could convince the marks that Kemwur knows all and sees all. I
> learned how to change my voice so as to pretend I was channeling
> spirits, although I didn't think learning all that junk from Edgar
> Cayce and Madame Blavatsky was necessary. You guys pay me money as
> long as I pretend to care about your romances and gallstones-"Aria
> seemed to recollect herself as the audible rumble became a growl .
>
> She tried to run off the stage, but Dr. Sanders maneuvered the
> security guard into her so that she managed to steady herself from
> the back while the security guard cracked his head on the floor. He'd
> have a nasty concussion. Dr. Sanders' specialty is in medicine, you
> know.

Gee, thanks for reminding us, Mr. Narrator!

The cute aside to the reader is out of place, unnecessary and irritating.

> "Are you saying you're the one doing the voice of Kemwur?" Kemwer
> asked.
>
> "Of course. There's no such thing as channeling the spirits from the
> great beyond. "She looked around, panicky for an escape route.
>
> "Are you saying Greta Sedona is a fake too?" Kemwer asked.
>
> "Oh, yes. They're all fakes. Greta Sedona, Dominic Chakravanti,
> Randall Ceti. "
>
> "Do they all use blackmail like you?" Any minute now she'd remember
> to cover her mouth with her hands, the way she was staring like a
> frightened rabbit .
>
> "No. Swami Brahma uses extortion, and Cephera uses posthypnotic
> suggestion. "
>
> "What about Charles Akeling? What's his scam?"
>
> "Investment fraud. "She cupped her heads as the clip-on microphone
> cut off.

...no, the joke's too easy.

> "Charles tells his clients their dead relations want them to invest
> in certain stocks-"At the point, Aria had the brainstorm to cover her
> mouth which gave her answers in a resulting mumble. The emcee finally
> succeeded in stepping in front of Aria.
>
> "Thank you for coming. Videos-""He had second thoughts. " That is,
> personally autographed books are on sale in the front counter. "Two
> security guards gripped Aria's hands and feet and carried her bodily
> off the stage.

Structurally this little diatribe on the part of the medium is okay, but at the same time the reveal here feels like a substandard episode of Scooby Doo. The bad person is revealed as a fraud and a thief in front of her adoring fans, shock, and our heroes are vindicated in all ways. This feels like very poor storytelling; instead of letting our heroes find this out themselves - Sanders is supposed to be a 21st century Doc Savage, right? He should be able to investigate a claim, Doc did that stuff all the time in the old pulps - we let the poorly-defined superhero pull an undefined deus ex machina out of his ass and get a confession. Lame.

> Kemwer had located Ted's body heat and saw him through the building.
> Freedom Princess obligingly pulled Dr. Sanders and Kemwer through the
> wall while Kemwer shielded them from sight and mind.
>
> "Hi Ted,. "Kemwer smiled.
>
> "I-I have connections. You'll regret it. " He tried. The sword had
> been resheathed. Kemwer drew it again.
>
> "Who gave you the idea of Kemwur?" Kemwer asked him.
>
> "A guy who sprung up for an operation to replace my missing leg. He
> said all I had to do was this to pay him back. He said I'd make it
> back in spades in this operation, but I could quit anytime. "
>
> "How did you contact him?"
>
> "There's a code and a number. " He gave Kemwer the code, the number,
> and who recommended him.
>
> "What did he call himself?"
>
> "He called himself Mazzare. Can I go now?" He whined plaintively.
> Kemwer sniffed the air. Kemwer had acute human senses, but one didn't
> need that to smell the air had definitely become unpleasant. Dr.
> Sanders put him to sleep. I resheathed my sword.

And there's that perspective change again!

Serious suggestion: try rewriting this from the ground up as third-person limited or third-person omnicient instead of retrofitting third-person narration to a first-person story.

> Mazzare's one of the supersoldiers that Dr. Grey has personally
> serving him. It's the Italian word for seer and he's pretty good at
> putting together coherent pictures of information. Kemwer was wearing
> the Band of Blacknil The obvious thing was either to kill Ted thereby
> removing information or to dump him in a black hole.

The what of what? Is this a group identity or a device? And what does it do that makes it such a big thing to be called out? The infodumping here is poorly worded and assumes that we can read the production notes you have in the back of your skull.

> It took a few minutes for Kemwer to shove Ted into an empty parallel
> from the elevator. He'd have to come back later to petrify him with
> the Wand of Jadis.

Dump him into a what?

Also, seven.

> "Let's see him try to get information about vanishing. " Kemwer
> smiled happily.
>
>
> It had looked like Dr. Sanders would have had to testify on the
> preliminary hearings, which would have proven awkward since Kemwer
> was the one holding the videocamera. She got into a fight with her
> lawyers over the insanity defense, since she claimed dark powers had
> been at work.

Well... they were.

> On the other hand, her fringerprints matched her Illinois driver's
> license, and every lead she had mentioned checked out, and one could
> leave it to the police to roll up the false psychics she had
> mentioned. Charles Akeling was up on insider trading charges and half
> the psychics in the city were running for the hills.

The funny thing is, though, being a fraudulent medium doesn't tend to be illegal. Especially if you're working in Vegas. Medium acts are deliberately marked as "entertainment" which means even if you believe them or they believe it, it's not fraud.

> New mediums and psychics then moved in advertising themselves as
> restorers of balance and the spirits one can trust. This only proves
> P. T Barnum's old adage, there's a sucker born every minute and two
> to take them.
>
> It was a good two weeks.
>
> The police rolled up the psychic network depriving Grey of an
> important resource that he could have used to turn him mortal, Kemwer
> had snapped up one of his unwitting agents to interrogate, and most
> importantly, Mazzare had no information from his pawn as to what had
> happened. He placed the Sword of Veracity from Hercules: The
> Legendary Journeys back in it's case.

Oh hell no. That is not your deus ex machina, and refuse to believe you'd go for something that bloody dumb in the first place!

Eight times! I'm flabbergasted. Seriously, I don't know how to respond to this. Handwavium does not equal magic, and that I have to say that eight times through the story makes me wonder what the hell you're trying to accomplish here, and if it's compatible with Fenspace in general.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Mal beat me to it, so I'll just kibitz a bit...

Quote:*BZZT!* Star Trek replicator technology is NOT KOSHER under the current rules of engagement.
If it was, Noah'd have one by now, by handwaving a nanoassembler tank. Instead, he can't even get a nanoassembler tank to work, even with handwavium.

(Before anybody asks "Where could anyone in Fenspace, Noah included, get specs for a nanoassembler tank?" Doug Sangnoir visited Stellvia in 2008.)

Quote:"Illusion?" Once again, handwavium does not equal magic.
In this case, it's also unnecessary for the story. Modern full-motion solid-state videocameras with half-hour capacity are as small as walkmans were two decades ago, and that's in Our TimeLine. In Fenspace, a full-motion videocamera with a day's worth of capacity can fit into an eyesocket, as shown in the prologue to Legend of Galactic Girls.

Quote:Factually incorrect. By 6,000 BC human civilization was already beginning to take recognizable shape in Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley, Egypt and China.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... 07/Jericho]Assuming the Encyclopedia Britannica is a trustworthy source, humans were living in Jericho 11,000 years ago.

Quote:I'm going to speak the Word of Mod: Until modified by Consensus, belief does not radically alter a handwavium-altered person's mind, memories or abilities.
Beyond the granting of trivial abilities such as The Professor's ultrasuperhuman endurance, Leda Swansen's "electric eel" hands, or Wire Geek's enhanced senses (other than sight). And for a month after I introduced the character, I was worried that Leda's ability was too powerful for Fenspace.

So... yeah, unless this is a filler episode for an appropriate Fenspace TV shows (maybe Catgirl Bebop or Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon FS), the fun-with-handwavium needs to be toned down. Significantly. (If it is a TV show episode, it should be marked as such...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:Beyond the granting of trivial abilities such as The Professor's ultrasuperhuman endurance, Leda Swansen's "electric eel" hands, or Wire Geek's enhanced senses (other than sight). And for a month after I introduced the character, I was worried that Leda's ability was too powerful for Fenspace.

That's not what the Word meant, actually. I meant that whatever handwavium's connection to belief is, it doesn't affect something that's already sapient.

I'll use Leda as an example here. She started out life looking like an Anglo Sailor Jupiter, and when she biomodded her appearance affected the biomod. So she comes out looking in most part like she did before, only now she has electric eel batteries in her forearms that discharge through her hands. Okay, great. In LGG she gets training from an actual Sailor Jupiter on how to control her powers without resorting to insulated gloves. Even better.

However, just because she *looks* like Sailor Jupiter and has slightly similar electrical powers does not mean she *is* Sailor Jupiter. And furthermore, no matter how hard all the Senshi in Fenspace hope and wish and pray, their hopes and wishes and prayers will not catapult Leda into being able to pull off Sailor Jupiter's super attacks. Because the wave doesn't work like that. It's susceptible to mental images and has rules that it must follow like regular matter has to follow the established laws of physics. It's not a product of the collective unconscious that can turn people into gods.

(Incidentally, did I ever mention that one of Leda's parents must be a classics major with a horrible sense of humor? Or is that too self-evident? Wink)

Along those lines, just because the Senshi aggravate A.C. by calling her "Lady Mars," this doesn't mean she'll spontaneously develop clarvoyance and/or fire powers.

Quote:That's not what the Word meant, actually. I meant that whatever handwavium's connection to belief is, it doesn't affect something that's already sapient.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Now I'm not so worried about that scene I posted http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/4637]elsewhere...
Quote:(Incidentally, did I ever mention that one of Leda's parents must be a classics major with a horrible sense of humor? Or is that too self-evident? Wink)
"'Leda Swansen'? Who gave you that name?"

"Parents who claimed they love me."
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Feinan

Quote: *BZZT!* Star Trek replicator technology is NOT KOSHER under the current rules of engagement. I don't care how neato-keen this Kemwer
joker is supposed to be, you don't get that kind of a gimme here.
Hey, Mal? No problem with no replicator tech. Has anyone been using holodeck tech in the stories yet? We've have forcefields, we've had
holograms, so making solid holograms should be doable to some point, shouldn't it, even if not to the same extent as a full Star Trek holodeck? I had some
things I wanted to do with the tech, you see....
Holodeck stuff has been implied in a couple wiki articles, but not actually seen on screen IIRC. As it stands the tech is within the bounds, so as long as you
don't fall into the TNG/VOY trap of Yet Another Goddamn Holodeck Episode I'm cool with it.

Basis:

Millions of people use suspension of disbelief when watching television or movies

Get to handwave live-action movie props.

Conclusion. Live-action movie props do what the ones in live-action movies or television do if handwaved.

He didn't chuck anybody ten feet into the wall. The usher's sight was messed up thinking the wall was ten feet away

No Star Trek replicator technology, not a problem

The ice is too noticeable. The transparency should affect his eyes only.

The magma is only a thought.

Bending lightwaves into his eyes for 360 degree vision.

I wasn't aware I was pestering anyone.

Joke. Missed mistake.

It shouldn't affect anything that's sapient. Kemwer's using nonsapient items, and it will affect that.

I write the stories, then tone them down later.

What I'm trying to accomplish. I had an idea, wrote down the story. Back to the drawing board.