Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Fnord...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to find the story about the launch of the Ptchitka, but it is successfully eluding my attempts. Can you kindly point me at it? Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
You can't find it because, ah, it doesn't exist. Not quite, anyway. There's a gloss hiding somewhere in the old plotbunny thread, but I scrapped that one & started over a while ago. The story itself is very much in development, albiet slow development.

I have notes & whatnot, though. So if you need some sort of specific information ask away & I'll do my best to fill in.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Okay, then I must be misremembering a different story as that one. Who had the siege with the cops surrounding a warehouse while they were desperately trying
to get launched?
-- Bob
---------
Well, that *could* have been the really, really old first draft of the Soviet origin story. LIS there's a gloss hiding in the plotbunny thread and it runs
pretty much like you described it.

I could have sworn I read a story proper once, told in the first person. Weird.
-- Bob
---------

Feinan

You're not alone, Bob. I remember the story as well. From how Ptichka was purchased, fixing her up, and then the arrival of law enforcement and the
scramble to take off. I'll take a look through the plot bunny thread and see if what's in there is what I remember or not.
For the record, I have a copy archived with the rest of the crap I've written for Fenspace (800KB total over a year and a half or so, counting notes &
discarded stuff). I'm not going to *release* it again by any means, but I still *have* a copy.

Feinan

Mal?

I found the particular entry that Bob and I remember - are you adverse to me posting a link here? If so, I could just email Bob with the link to the story. I
won't at all if you're against it, since you mentioned not releasing it again.
Enh, it's not like I deleted the thing. A link couldn't hurt. I do stress that the entry in question is a) a very early draft and b) not really that
good, so caveat empor.

Feinan

Eh, I liked it well enough, Mal. And it'll serve as a placeholder until you get your full version completed. It at least gives some idea of how
Ptichka first showed up, even if the final version is different. She's a fairly important ship in the history of
Fenspace, after all.

This will take you right to the launch entry in the Plotbunny thread: http://drunkardswalkforum...le-cheap.html#reply-15815
God, that thread brings back memories. ^_^
Oh yeah, that's it. Thanks for the find, Feinan!

Pity it's not a formal story because I wanted to include it in a list of reccos for the intro page o n the wiki.
-- Bob
---------
Oi, just wait for da man to finish revising it. I'm certain that it'll be a lot better then. That aside, I think that the original thread itself could
be recomended reading - not exactly as polished stuff, of course, but it'll give curious newcomers a picture of how things got started.