Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Healing Plants in Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Feinan

The Jason has already introduced blood oranges to Fenspace, and I've been considering what else that I could work on, healing-wise. I've been having
fun with the Jason's 'Son Goku' theme - those participants of the 2015 Port Phobos Invitational may well have noticed that he's apparently
picked up at least the rudiments of Hou Quan, or Monkey Fist - so in keeping with that, I give you...the senzu bean! Commnts are welcome; I THINK this should
be workable, but I'd appreciate opinions.

Senzu Bean

Roughly the size of a large brazil nut, a ripe senzu bean is an extremely concentrated package of proteins, oils, and sugars, laced through
with a limited variant of Expresso handwavium. Senzu beans are really only useful for biomodded organisms, since they depend on the effect Expresso has on
biomods to work. When ingested by a healthy person, it simply kicks the digestive system into a slightly higher gear to quickly absorb the nutrients for a
quick burst of energy. If the person is injured, cells at the site of the injury are targetted by the Expresso effect and go into a metabolic supercharge mode,
rapidly dividing and growing. Bruises fade immediately, small wounds visibly heal, and even larger wounds stabilize and start to close. Bones will start to
knit, but if not set first this can lead to them healing improperly. Truly life-threatening injuries should still be treated by a trained professional, but one
of these beans can buy time to reach one and aid in the recovery afterward. Please note that while the bean will supply an initial burst of energy and
nutrients, for larger injuries the body's own resources will have to pick up the load and an IV drip might be required if being used to speed treatment of
more severe injuries.

The most useful property of senzu beans is that they work on biomodded patients. While not as potentially effective as triggering an emergency biomod in a
normal, they can help pick up the slack in emergency treatments for those already possessing a biomod. The beans have a fast burst of initial growth when
planted, similar to kudzoom though slower; once germinated, a tiny shrub will appear within a day or so. After the initial appearance, the plant takes about
six months or so to reach a stage where it can start producing beans. Being a medium-sized shrub, they can be grown in pots where desired.

So - opinions? Any ideas on changes or do you think it's not feasible? And does anyone have ideas for other sorts of medicinals?
"Senzu beans are really only useful for biomodded organisms, since they depend on the effect Expresso has on biomods to work."

"The most useful property of senzu beans is that they work on biomodded patients. While not as potentially effective as triggering an emergency biomod in
a normal, they can help pick up the slack in emergency treatments for those already possessing a biomod."

This kinda confuses me a bit. It's already been established early on that Senzu Beans are only really effective on Biomodded patients, but it's
continuously reiterated, and in conjuntion with other topics (emergency biomodding) that kinda threw me off track.
I would suspect that it's a case where, if one's in bad enough shape that one's contemplating 'wave ingestion to save your life, that
there's other methods that are less... stressful to initiate a biomod. And also, it might be a matter of how much 'waveium is actually IN the beans, it
may well be just below the threshold that biomodding is guaranteed.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Feinan

Well, part of it is that I could probably have worded things better. It was late when I wrote that, but I wanted to get it written down while I could.

First, I'm not sure if the beans would trigger a biomod by themselves. Expresso is an extremely limited version of handwavium, and doesn't 'wave
objects like other varieties. It just tends to supercharge already-present mods/strains of the 'wave. That's why I pointed out that the beans only work
on biomodded patients; there's nothing in a normal person for the Expresso to affect.

The second part was because of the discussion that had taken place on emergency biomods. It was pointed out that Fen who worked in dangerous situations might
well forego being biomodded, so that if they were ever severely injured they could have the option of triggering an emergency biomod to try to heal
themselves/stay alive. The non-filtered variety of blood oranges can be used in this manner. But triggering an emergency biomod only works for normals. It left
already-biomodded Fen with injuries with less options. The senzu beans are a way to pick up the load. While they can't biomod a normal, they CAN trigger
emergency-level fast healing in a biomod. It's not as effective as an emergency biomod...but it's a lot better than doing nothing or relying solely on
first aid and the like. I hope that clears things up a little?