Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Duct Tape?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a weird thought, Having Duct Tape becoming a form of handwavium.

It's like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and holds the Universe together...
Handwaved Duct Tape is already the Universal Adaptor.
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 56121&ap=1]Duct Tape."

Nah, doesn't quite work.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote: robkelk wrote:

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of Duct Tape."

Nah, doesn't quite work.
Ok....

So you can destroy the planet, Give me Enough Duct Tape, I can put it back together....
Nice duct tape there... Wonder if you can get different effects in handwaved duct tape given degrees of quality and even the color.

Gray = General Purpose

White = Medical (steryl, aids healing, no wave contamination)

Black = Hull Patching

Brown = Earth-Friendly (Biodegrades beautifully - great as tree-bandages)

Red = Heat/Fireproof

Orange = Hazmat Containment

Yellow = Radiological Containment

Green = Biohazard Containment

Blue = Extreme Cold Tolerant

Violet = Etreme Heat/Cold Tolerant (great for attaching that antenna on your space-winnebago)
Black duct tape is gaffer tape, no? One would expect 'waved gaffer tape to have something to do with electricity... maybe "EM containment".

If we go with this, then silver (aka shiny-gray) duct tape could be the hull armour-patch.
--
Rob Kelk

Eh... Grey Duct Tape is the only substance that can't be 'Waved. Which makes it Extremely useful around Fenspace.

Note that The Florescent colors of Gaffers tape should have
interesting Effects when Waved...

Camoflage Mil-spec 100 Mile an Hour Tape
could have Stealth Aplications.

--
Um... Handwavium affects EVERYTHING. Unless, of course, asked not to. It's a intent thing.
It did affect the Grey Tape. No discernable affect, is the affectation of 'Waved Grey Duct Tape. You use it to protect something you don't want
'Waved.
Well, the list I provided was what Ben would intend Duct Tape to do when he Handwaves it. Though I like the idea of the Camo tape.

There is no way in Fenspace that Gray Duct Tape is -NOT- affected by Handwavium. Not unless you specifically desire that to be so (which is the beauty of this
place). That said, it's part of the reason why I have the white medical duct tape - it holds strong and long, is steryl, aid the healing process and does
has no Handwavium cross-contamination.
Quote:It did affect the Grey Tape. No discernable affect, is the affectation of 'Waved Grey Duct Tape.

Wait, what?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Hrm... Let's bring in my alter ego...

Quote: Benjamin M. Rhodes, Semi-Mad Scientist, Master and Commander of the Roughriders

I believe what Manytales is trying to say is that the effect of Handwavium on Gray Tape (henceforth refered to as 'GT') is to give it the remarkable
ability to prevent Wave-contamination. Granted, this is one thing that GT is capable of, but Manytales is somewhat mistaken on the matter.

The use of GT dates back to the very beginings of our society as we know it. I should know since I was among the first out there. GT was used in copious
amounts to seal batches of Handwavium to prevent leakage when one Fen would ship a batch to another. The reason why was simple. When the Fen in question was
sealing up a batch of the Wave, they'd usually have one thought overiding everything else: "Please, dear God, don't let this leak."

And so, when the Wave began to affect the GT itself, it took on qualities of forming hormetical seals as well as having a stronger and longer lasting hold.
Not only did it make for an effective barrier against Wave-contamination, but it held much better than the un-Waved version. Fen were quick to notice this
and started using GT for just about any form of patchwork that needed to be accomplish. The results, more often than not, weren't pretty to look at, but
the fixes were effective and lasted long enough for more permanent solutions to be applied.

Today, GT is still prevalent in our society. It has, and always will be the stuff you can use to fix anything, especially with a little help from Handwavium.
And there you have it.
I don't usually comment on speeling misteaks, but "hormetical" is too odd to let pass.

It seems to be a portmanteau of "hermetic" (sealed tightly like an arcane secret) and "Hormel" (a tinned-foods manufacturer). Granted, this
does go a long way to explaining SPAM.

As for the Fenspace take on this... perhaps emergency rations, guaranteed to be edible (if not palatable) for at least a decade, are hormetically-sealed. Maybe
even with duct tape.
--
Rob Kelk