Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Klein bottle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Random thought. Kandor's supposed to be in a bottle. A Klein bottle is an inescapable bottle. Easy enough to do with handwavium. Kandor City lives in a
Klein bottle?
...then nobody would live in Kandor City, because nothing could get inside the dome.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I believe a Klein bottle has an entrance, but no exit.
So you want to live in what is effectively a black hole?
wind up killing each other inside a year. Besides, something like that would be its own story, as who would interact with these people from outside of the
bottle? Nothing gets back out, right - no light, no particals, nothing?

Also, we appreciate your wanting to make things 'more authentic' to their originals, but with Fenspace comes something that we like to call
'Reality Checks'. Checks in that they are part of the checks and balances.

Your previous ideas, while interesting, have proven to be far, far over the top. While we don't mind people having interesting ideas, we do mind that
someone comes along and tries to 'blow the curve' as it were.

If you can't contribute without blowing the curve, then I am certain that Rob and Fnord would not mind if you started your own little group utilizing the
Fenspace model.
Quote:If you can't contribute without blowing the curve, then I am certain that Rob and Fnord would not mind if you started your own little group utilizing the Fenspace model.
Actually, I'm somewhat sympathetic to what kentmagus is trying to do here. I came in later than the rest of the old-timers - I was the first of the second wave of writers - and had to fight tooth and nail to get away with things like equipment with non-obvious 'wave quirks, mastery of gravtech, androids with personalities true to their source material, and a character who wasn't struggling to make ends meet. And I still had to retcon in a visit from Doug Sangnoir (after such a visit was suggested by somebody else) to justify the mastery of gravtech.

However, none of those things breaks anybody else's characters or plotlines... which is the concept that kentmagus seems to have the most trouble with. In a multi-creator environment like Fenspace, cool ideas need to be okayed by the other creators before they're implemented. He doesn't always do that, and that's where my sympathetic feelings end.

(Mind you, if kentmagus does start a Fenspace 2.0 with what Fenspace 1.0 would call over-the-top metapowers, I want in. Not with Noah Scott and his "angels", but with a technomage based on Honami Ambler from Rental Magica...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Klein bottles are a real theory. However, I'll drop it.
You could put a standup comedy club in Kandor and have it owned by Robert Klein, and call that "The Klein Bottle"...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote: kentmagus wrote:

Klein bottles are a real theory. However, I'll drop it.

No one claimed that Klein bottles weren't a real theory, we're just saying we wouldn't want to live in one.

Plus, since it's been established that people can leave Kandor City at will, it can't be a klein bottle. 8P