Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Even More Inspirational and Meta Sites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Okay, I'm inaugurating a new inspiration thread with this link:

Harvard Scientist creates
"intergalactic subway map" of the Milky Way.

Surely we can do something with this?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Sounds like the basis of a wormhole network, eh? But then, hasn't someone else done this? One of our own, even? Though I must admit that I like how this
version tracks with the rest of the galaxy at large. (^_^)
Here is some nice "cameo fodder" for pics of the Senshi "Fraction"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
... That's almost as bad as the so-called 'Saban Moon'.
They do have a look of work by someone who got a brief glance at Sailor Moon and decided to rip off some names, don't they?
-- Bob
---------
This one's going to be of use to any fan who wants to be accurate in things dealing with guns...

http://www.imfdb.org

It's exactly what it says on the tin: Internet Movie Firearms DataBase.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Wow. They've finally invented the neuristor:
Quote:An Organic Transistor Paves the Way for New Generations of Neuro-Inspired Computers
National Center for Scientific Research (France) (01/22/10)

Researchers at the National Center for Scientific Research have devised an organic transistor that can emulate a synapse's primary functionalities. The researchers say the breakthrough could lead to new generations of neuro-inspired computers capable of functions comparable to those of the human brain. The nanoparticle organic memory field-effect transistor (NOMFET) successfully mimics synapse plasticity. Gold nanoparticles are fixed in the transistor channel and coated with pentacene, and they have a memory effect that permits them to imitate the way a synapse operates during the transmission of action potentials between a pair of neurons. Thus the electronic element can evolve as a function of the system in which it is encapsulated. The NOMFET's performance matches that of at least seven complementary metal-oxide semiconductor transistors that up to now have been needed to mimic plasticity. Neuro-inspired computers can address visual recognition and other challenges that are beyond the capabilities of silicon computers.
http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.as ... ureCode=en
-- Bob
---------
These guys ought to get into handwavium bigtime: DIY Biology

-- Bob
---------
Well, http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/spac ... aceships7/]GURPS Spaceships 7: Divergent and Paranormal Tech is out. Having had a look through it, there are a few interesting things in there.
I know we established that Opportunity was the 'waved Mars probe, but http://xkcd.com/695/]today's xkcd makes me want to add Spirit to the Fen-AI list.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Lemme just add this for some of the planetbound oceanic fen... maybe.

Pay especial attention to the three "Innsmouth Look" pic links.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Foxboy Wrote:Lemme just add this for some of the planetbound oceanic fen... maybe.

Pay especial attention to the three "Innsmouth Look" pic links.
I am so incredibly tempted to steal one of those Herbert West images and slap it onto The Professor's writeup...
--
Rob Kelk

I think this speaks for itself.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
APOD: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100203.html]It won't hurt if we tap each other's fenders at 0.1c, will it?
--
Rob Kelk

There's a link to short article about that picture in a post I just made up in General/General.
-- Bob
---------
Factional chemistry made simple: The Periodic Table of Science Fiction.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
... Hrrrmmmm.... I dunno, I think I'd tweak it some. Some things like the Sequels just can't count as 'elements' of Sci-Fi. But then, I'm thinking of things from the perspective of story elements and not political factions among the Fen.
If we actually had a FenWiki page for the Three Graces (instead of the disambiguation pointer-page we have now), I'd put http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100209.html]today's APOD on it...
--
Rob Kelk

What would the 'Modern' Graces use a 'fuel tank and boosters' for anyways? Long range mission pack?
No, because even handwavium "knows" that Shuttles Use Main Boosters To Get Out Of Earth's Atmosphere. It's part of what makes them Shuttles.

Excepting that russkie knockoff, of course. But the rules there are different because it's a russkie knockoff.
--
Rob Kelk

Oi! Don't be knocking the People's Shuttle, you bourgeois pig!
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

Boys, jeeze. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe, all the same to me. Big glorious white rocket-powered space-planes. (^_^)

As for the other stuff... Well, as far as I know the 'Wave also understands the concept of 'repurposing.' It just needs a bit of nudging from an outside force - usually a human. Wink
‘The fact that you simians live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed your perspective tends to be.’- Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy re: Humanity)

Timote Wrote:‘The fact that you simians live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed your perspective tends to be.’- Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy re: Humanity)
Added to the FenWiki page for http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Earth]Earth. It seemed appropriate.
--
Rob Kelk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13