Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [GURPS Fenspace] Shipbuilding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I'm finally getting off my behind and posting this. I've included notes on why I've gone for certain things (See the {n} tags). Comments or suggestions from anyone?

GURPS White Stallion

SM+8 (125 feet), Stealth 2M, Dynamic Chameleon 1.5M, Artificial Gravity 1M, Gravitic Compensators 1M
Streamlined Hull

Base Hull
dDR/HP = 70 + 15 = 85 (Default Nano-composite Armour){1}
Hnd/SR = -1/5
TL=10^ {2}

Front Section
[1] Hardened Nano-composite Armour (+15dDR/HP) 10M
[2] Multipurpose Array, Multiscanner, FTL, TL12 (Level 11) {3} 20M
[3!] Cloaking Device 30M
[4] Habitat (6*3person Bunkrooms) 6M
[5] Habitat (1 Science! Lab, 2 Mini-Robofac, 2 Automed Sickbays) 1M +30M +1M +200K
[6] Habitat (1 Luxury Cabin, 2 Cabins, 1 Office, 1 Steerage (5 Tons)) 1M
[core] Control Room (C9, Comm/Sensor 7 (FTL), Stations 2) 1.9M

Centre Section
[2] Defensive ECM 10M
[3!] Medium Battery, 1 Fixed, 2 Turreted (Very Rapid Fire), Electromagnetic. 6M
[4!] Medium Battery, 3 Missile Launchers (1 rear). 6M
[5] Habitat (1 Establishment (Galley), 2 Briefing Rooms) 1M
[6] Habitat (6 Cabins) 6M

Rear Section
[2] Cargo hold (50 Tons)
[2-3] 2 Hanger Bays (30 Tons each) 200K
[4-5!] 2 Stardrives (Subwarp, 1000G; FTL, 500c/0.42 parsec a day; STL, 0.08c/4.8 ls/min) {4} 20M
[6] Total Conversion Reactor (5 Power Points) 60M
[core] Engine Room 300K

Total Cost: 5.5M + 101.1M + 39M + 90.5M = 236.1M

Notes:
{1}: I figured, given that Handwavium integrates itself with the materials it works on, we can add the equivalent of one US Nano-Composite armour section to the entire hull dDR/HP rating.
{2}: I’m making assumptions here, but the general level of Space tech in Fenspace is better than TL8.
{3}: Again, I’m assuming FTL sensors are easier than FTL comms, but the Stallion is big enough to fit an Interwave set as well.
{4}: In trying to match the drives to existing information, I made the following determinations:
a) In normal(-ish) circumstances, the same drive does both STL and FTL. Thus, I used the Subwarp design switch on the Stardrives.
b) Also, unless the object is very large (say a mile or greater) it is reasonably easy to get the full FTL speed of 500c.
c) For the speeds we are using, the Warp drive option on p. 41 of Starships to allow stardrives to have some warp capability in system has been used. Hence the STL rating.
Thus, it is possible to ‘jump’ to full STL speed, but the ‘upshift’ requires a mode shift. I would suggest it also requires the vessel to be in a low g field. If this wasn’t possible, the various ships (at 500g) would take between 12 mins to get to 0.01c, an hour to get to 0.05C, 2 hours to 0.1c… And the same to decelerate at the end.
I'm not sure whether I agree with everything here (I'm still deciding), but I've http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ing_stats)]dumped it onto the FenWiki anyway.

Somebody else gets to clean up the page and provide crosslinks to and from the ship's description page.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Ugh. GURPS.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
If you have a preferred system in which to stat up Greenwood, feel free...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I'm not sure whether I agree with everything here (I'm still deciding), but I've http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... ing_stats)]dumped it onto the FenWiki anyway.

Somebody else gets to clean up the page and provide crosslinks to and from the ship's description page.
You didn't have to, I would have done it this weekend (having had some practice now), giving time for people to think and read the sourcebooks and think WTF?!?. I posted it here to get opinions.
Prehaps the RFC flag might have helped? (^_^Wink
robkelk Wrote:If you have a preferred system in which to stat up Greenwood, feel free...
Well, I could always stat it out as a character in Over The Edge...
City In Space (5d6)
Secret Military Bunkers (4d6)
Stardrive (3d6)
Ponderous as a turtle (-2d6)
There you go.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Looks good!

(looks at FenWiki)

Do you need help creating a new wiki page?
--
Rob Kelk

Someone has either missed, or deliberately missed, the sarcasm tag. Smile
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Deliberately missed, I assure you.

(Wiki... Needs... Content!)
--
Rob Kelk

I'll take some time this weekend and stat it up in something nicely obscure, then. Maybe Battlespace, or d6 Star Wars.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
*Raises thread into storm to get lightning strike*

KRA-BOOM!!!

It's ALIVE!!!! Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Thread necromancy time again. I've been thinking about how to stat up Prometheus Forge up in GRUPS Starships format yet again, and thought of a way to make things easier. A little background is needed however...

Based in the Forge's longest dimension of 6.3 km (or 6890 yds), that makes it an SM+21 ship. Scaling up the various systems, that leads to a single habitat system containing 20 million cabins.

That's a bit much for just A.C. and the others. (Phobos, being a SM+25 object is worse. 2 billion?).

Likewise the other systems (for example, a single SM+21 Hanger system has a capacity of 100 million tons and is capable of launching 300,000 tons of starship per minute. (That's a Stellvia every three minutes.{1})

So, I was re-reading the GURPS Starships PDF when the entry on Minifacs in the Specialized Rooms for Habitats box on p.18 jumped out at me.

GURPS Starships p.18 Wrote:A minifac is 1/10 the cost and production capacity of an SM+6 factory
Thus I reasoned that if I had 10 cabins to spare, I could have an SM+6 Factory system installed. As each system is 3x as big as the previous system, 30 cabins would get me a SM+7 Factory, 90 cabins a SM+8 Factory, and so on. And if it could apply to Factory system, it could apply to other systems.

Thus I could pack a lot of functionality into the habitat space of the Forge, and be more accurate about it as well.

So I'd thought I'd ask, does anyone else see a problem with my logic?

{1}: According to max dimension, Stellvia is a SM+14 vessel.
If you're really worried about what to do with all that space, remember that Prometheus Forge used to be an asteroid, and thus has a very thick solid-rock coating. One could easily use that as a justification for making the Forge a SM+20 ship, or smaller, on the inside.

As for the factory, we've already established that A.C. does quite a bit of manufacturing for the Space Patrol. I see no problem there.
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Yes, I agree with robkelk.

The usable internal volume of a converted asteroid depends on how much rock was mined away. If Prometheus Forge is more a system of tunnels and caves at the moment, the usable volume can be as small as you want it to be... but they will still have lots of space to expand into later.