Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [meta] Real People in Fenspace - guidelines?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/6839]This thread over in GenChat got me wondering about the advisability of putting actual people into Fenspace. Is it a good idea?

Yes, we've mentioned a few actual rock (and other genre) performers as having toured Fenspace, but those were just one-off mentions; we didn't actually write them into stories. Those JAXA astronauts would have a bigger role than a few musicians - after all, the astronauts work in space. So it would be reasonable to give them supporting roles in our stories.

On the flip side, we aren't asking anyone's permission to use their names. Using elements of other people's works of fiction is one thing - that's a millennia-old storytelling tradition, after all - but using actual other people is something else entirely. (Although there are all those century-old stories about Congressman Davy Crockett...)

So, should we be mentioning real people in Fenspace, or giving them roles in our stories?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Hrm... Well, for one thing I think that we must protray such people in a respectful manner.

Second, a disclaimer can't hurt. Especially if we add that any requests of Cease and Desist will immediately be complied to.
Quote:(Although there are all those century-old stories about Congressman Davy Crockett...)
Then again, he made most of them up himself... (well, at least the early ones.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
To be honest, if Gryph & Co. can get away with using real live (and a few dead) people in their kitchen-sink space opera, then so can we. I have no objections as long as nobody does anything stupid and/or actionable; at that point, we throw you to the wolves.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"