Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [FenWiki DeStub Project] 498 Tokio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We currently have 193 stub pages in the FenWiki. In an effort to reduce this number without touching the stubs that various people already have vested interest in expanding themselves (such as the character and ship pages), I'm starting the FenWiki DeStub Project, in which I post a current stub page here, let people add to it, post the results to the FenWiki when the discussion dies down, then start the cycle again with another stub page. If nobody takes part, then I'll assume that nobody else cares about the stub pages and will stop posting them here...

Starting off, a topic that's near and dear to a lot of Fen, but not to Noah: The Ninja homeland.

{{planetbox
|name=498 Tokio
|image=
|orbit=2.650 AU (mean)2.054 AU (perihelion)3.246 AU (aphelion)
|diameter=81.83 km (85 km × 60 km)
|gravity=
|year=4.314 Julian years
|day=
|temp=
|atmosphere=
|waterice=
|population=
|political=[[Village Hidden in Asteroids], [[Fenspace Convention]
|government=
|capital=
}}

'''498 Tokio''', also called "Village Hidden in Asteroids" or simply "Hidden Asteroid", is a [[Main Belt] asteroid that was discovered by Shin Hirayama on March 6, 1900. It is named after the city of Tokyo.

Temporarily known as Rockhounds Space Rock #7, and better known as the '''Village of Hidden Asteroid''' or ''Seijutaigakure no Sato'', Tokio is home to the [[Village Hidden in Asteroids] faction (better-known as the '''Ninjas''') and the headquarters of the [[Ninjaburger] fast-food franchise.

The [[Fenspace Travel Guide] has given a two stars to '''The Dancing Shinobi''', a Japanese-style bar on 498 Tokio.

Have at it, all...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
==Ninja Rankings==
In keeping with the most popularBut far from only source material Hidden Asteroid's official, public rank structure is fairly simple.
| width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" style="border:#c9c9c9 1px solid; margin: 1em 1em 1em 0; border-collapse: collapse;"
|  colspan="3" {{tableheader}}|Ninja Ranks
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Rank
| {{tableheader}}|Description
| {{tableheader}}|[[Great_Justice#Operation_Great_Justice_Grade_Scale|OGJ] Equivalent
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Kage||The Karasukage is the supreme commander of Hidden Asteroids military forces||OF-10||
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Jounin||...||OF-6 or OF-7||
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Special or Tokubetsu Jounin||...||OF-3||
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Chunin||...||OR-5||
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Genin||...||OR-3||
|-
| {{tableheader}}|Student||...||OR-1||
|-
|}
It should be noted that students have not yet graduated from the Academy and are not technically considered part of Hidden Asteroid's military forces and are assigned a grade mostly for the purposes of pay and book keeping.
The Ninja's relatively flat rank structure causes some issues when they are working with other factions as part of [[OGJ] or other intra-factional activities.  It usually only becomes a problem when they are dealing with factions that are a bit... focused on minor detailsFen as a whole tend not to care so much for fixed hierarchies, but also tend to be a bit obsesive over trivial details..  The table above lists the officially accepted equivalencies, but in practice a ninja working as part of a multi fraction group will often have a working rank that looks nothing like what the table says they should have.
Ninja teams typically follow the four man cell structure described in the source material, one higher ranking shinobi with three lower ranking ones.  The most commonly encountered team of this sort is a genin training cell with a jounin instructor.  However, this sort of arrangement can and will be ignored for any reason deemed good enoughGood enough has been known to include "needed an extra set of hands to carry the ramen" and "We needed seven people for an effective panty raid on a target that large." by someone in Hidden Asteroid's command structure.

==Sources of Income==
In addition to [[Ninjaburger], perhaps Hidden Asteroid's most profitable venture, the ninja earn money from a number of ventures.  The two most profitable of these being bodyguard and 'assasination' services.  Ninja bodyguards are hired across Fenspace for any number of reasons, from pure prestigeand they hate these assignments to actual fear of attack and death.  Officially Hidden Asteroid's 'assasination' service is only used to pull pranks, the more elaborate the better, against the targets.  Rumours otherwise filter through Fenspace and are always good for a headline on certain 'Dane news networks.
As Hidden Asteroid is the most common, but not only, place to hire ninja in Fenspace it is common for Hidden Asteroid shinobi to end up on opposite sides of prank wars and spying missions.  They try to maintain their professionalism, at least as much as anyfen does.

There, a few thoughts before bed.  The rank equivalencies were pulled completely out of thin air, so rip them apart as you will.  Apologies for any markup errors.  Also Yuku's spellchecker does not consider 'panty' to be a word, oddly enough.
--
Ah, yes, _The Dying Earth_: a wonderful title, greatly spoiled by the
book.
        -- Nix
I think the "Ninja Rankings" section would better go in the Ninja faction writeup than the 498 Tokio writeup.

Mind you, the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Ninja]Ninja page is an even smaller stub than the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=498_Tokio]498 Tokio page, so it's definitely a useful contribution. No reason we can't work on both stubs at once, other than the risk to the sanity of the editor... and I'm the editor, so that's not a concern.

Oh, yes - are the Ninja only Naruto Fen, or do they like the other martial-arts shows as well? Is this the place to find Ranma fen, or Jackie Chan fen, or both, or neither?

--
Rob Kelk

Ah, I'd mixed up 498 Tokio with Hidden Asteroid and they aren't quite the same thing are they.   You should probably ignore anything I post past, say 23h00 EST going by my record.
From what's already on the wiki, while the ninja are heavily influenced by Naruto they're not exclusive, so I'd say any martial-arts show/movie fen who want to join ought to be able to, though they'll probably get more ninja themed fen than say Zatôichi themed ones just because of the name.  And there will probably be other, smaller clusters of MA fen elsewhere in Fenspace.
As an aside, given the current Karasukage's nickname I'd suspect he'd not be likely to turn away Bruce Lee fen.
--
If I were meta-agnostic, I'd be confused over whether I'm
agnostic or not - but I'm not quite sure if I feel that way;
hence I must be meta-meta-agnostic (I guess).
- Douglas R. Hofstadter, Gödel, Escher, Bach
Quote:You should probably ignore anything I post past, say 23h00 EST going by my record.
Meh. I've added it to the Ninja writeup anyway. Wiki... Needs... Content!
--
Rob Kelk

Agreed. They wouldn't turn aside other-martial-arts-fen (Ranma, Jackie Chan, Fist of the North Star, Exalted wannabes, etc), but the vast majority of Hidden Asteroid Ninja are going to be Naruto fen.
OTOH, they may engage in some cross-training with these other fandoms, providing martial arts training in exchange for alliance and promise of support, that sort of thing....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
ECSNorway Wrote:OTOH, they may engage in some cross-training with these other fandoms, providing martial arts training in exchange for alliance and promise of support, that sort of thing....
This sounds like just the thing for adding another feather to The Roughriders hat of multi-factionality.  The Ninja would get invaluable experience working with a multi-faceted group like The Roughriders, and I know that one or two of Ben's brothers are Sneaky Bastards who'd love to pick up a few Ninja tricks.  And then the Prank War of 36 Atalante would commence.
On the subject of others hanging their hats there... just remember that not all of them would.  In fact, many 'honorable' martial artists would abhor the idea of living side-by-side with Ninja, whose traditional history is to get the job done, no matter how deceitful you must be.

... why is this topic appearing entirely in italics?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Because "OOC" doesn't really apply when we aren't writing a story. I started the thread with my comments in italics and the FenWiki page in plain text, and the convention caught on...
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, okay. I thought something funky was happening with the markup.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
What Rob said.  Some disconnected bits, hopefully on topic this time.

After being mined out by [[Rockhounds] 498 Tokio was converted into a Vivarium style station, there are no large windows in the surface and any open internal spaces are dependent on artificial lighting.  In accordance to the wishes of [[Ninja|the future owners], [[Rockhounds] kept the tunnels they bored into the asteroid small, and well hidden in 498 Tokio's surface features.  Combined with the extensive use of artificial gravity to avoid the need to spin the rock, 498 Tokio appears largely unchanged from its pre-mining days.
Much of the interior of 498 Tokio is hollow and, while the [[Ninja] are not a small faction, [[Hidden Asteroid] proper does not take up more than a tithe of the available volume.  The rest of the interior of 498 Tokio is given over to pseudo-wilderness and agricultureOr will be once things get growing.  Or at least that's what visitors are toldThe actual secretiveness of Ninja is somewhat exaggerated.  But, if you're going to tell a joke, you may as well take it too far..

Regarding volume:
Assuming that 498 Tokio is actually a perfect cylinder (unlikely) using the  85kmx60km measurments on the wiki page and that Rockhounds left a 2.5km thick wall on all sides, the interior radius would be (60-5)/2 = 55/2 = 27.5km and an interior height of 85-5 = 80km.
Equations:
SA = 2*pi*r*(r+h)
V   = pi*r^2*h
This gives us an interior surface area of about 18,575 km^2 rounding up.
And an interior volume of about 190,066 km^2 and a bit.
Wow. That is a lot of space to expand into.  Even if the asteroid is irregular enough to make my assumptions completely laughable (as opposed to merely silly), you could probably fit all of the Fen (circa 2014) into a hollowed out 498 Tokio.
--
Ah the sweet smell of running a component at >10 times it's max-rated
power dissipation. Brings back memories...
    -- James Riden
(not bothering with italics)

In all honesty, I'd like to retcon that 498 Tokio is/was a Rockhounds space rock. Why? Well, Firv pretty much stated my case. We already run into plausibility problems with Rockhounds carving up 1-5km asteroids (IIRC the back-of-the-envelope calculations said that all six Rocks would've provided enough high-grade metal to last the current market 200 years or something equally silly) and 498 Tokio is *85 km in diameter.* That's a rock *four times the size of Phobos!* If Rockhounds had claimed it, they'd be mining it out for *years* and wouldn't bother to grab any other Rocks.

So, yeah. I move that we strike 498 Tokio from the list of Rockhounds Space Rocks. Arguments for/against?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Yeah, the larger asteroids have a lot of mass, and compared to rocks like Ceres, Palas or Juno, Tokio's not really that big either.  Rockhounds could spend years mining just one of the main belt objects.  I have no objections to the retcon.
--
"How is it that I have root access when my weakness for abusing power
 is so apparent?"
  -- Derick Siddoway
We could say that, like with 36 Atalante, the Rockhounds merely got them started.

In fact, I could see that as a sort of Standard Service Package. In return for keeping the materials removed to provide you with the beginings of a new base/habitat, they outfit it with things like basic life support and even leave you with some basic mining tools so you can carry on with the excavation once they do their business and move on.
Quote:So, yeah. I move that we strike 498 Tokio from the list of Rockhounds Space Rocks. Arguments for/against?
Would we replace it on http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... pace_Rocks]the list with something else, or just move Wonderland up to Rock #7? Considering the glut of metals available to Rockhounds, I'd suggest the latter.
--
Rob Kelk

Honestly, the only rock even approaching that size that Rockhounds would have completely hollowed out would be, well, Greenwood itself. And that's maybe half the size of 498 Tokio even at my most extreme plans. Do what you think best.
I'm all for having Rockhounds just do the initial setup, then turn the rest over to Hidden Asteroid folks (maybe provide them with some training too?) in the name of "Ninja Secrets".
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Concur with Recton as proposed, and lets just move Wonderland up to #7 to fill in the gap
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Hmm, this tells me I have a couple things to determine/change about B.5, 1)I need to pick out the source asteroid (as it's supposed to be a spacerock as well, and 2) make B.5 the second spacerock WaaPE worked on, rather than the third. (the first was supposed to be with them subcontracted to Rockhounds, getting on-the-job training from some of the few people with experience.)
You don't need to pick an already-named rock for Babylon .5 - there are hundreds if not thousands of unnamed rocks out there, and likely tens of thousands of smaller undiscovered rocks as well. Prometheus Forge is another unnamed space rock, after all.

As for the DeStub Project... I've updated the Rockhounds page and the 498 Tokio page. Here's how the latter currently reads.

{{stub}}
{{planetbox
|name=498 Tokio
|image=
|orbit=2.650 AU (mean)2.054 AU (perihelion)3.246 AU (aphelion)
|diameter=81.83 km (85 km × 60 km)
|gravity=
|year=4.314 Julian years
|day=
|temp=
|atmosphere=
|waterice=
|population=
|political=[[Village Hidden in Asteroids], [[Fenspace Convention]
|government=
|capital=Seijutaigakure no Sato
}}

'''498 Tokio''', also called "Village Hidden in Asteroids" or simply "Hidden Asteroid", is a [[Main Belt] asteroid that was discovered by Shin Hirayama on March 6, 1900. It is named after the city of Tokyo.

Also known as the '''Village of Hidden Asteroid''' or ''Seijutaigakure no Sato'' (after its largest city), Tokio is home to the [[Village Hidden in Asteroids] factionBetter-known as the '''Ninjas''' and the headquarters of the [[Ninjaburger] fast-food franchise.

498 Tokio in in the process of being converted into a Vivarium-style station: there are no large windows in the surface, and any open internal spaces are dependent on artificial lighting. In accordance to the wishes of the faction, [[Rockhounds] kept the pilot tunnels they bored into the asteroid small and well hidden in 498 Tokio's surface features. Combined with the extensive use of artificial gravity to avoid the need to spin the rock, 498 Tokio appears largely unchanged from its pre-colonization days.

Much of the interior of 498 Tokio is hollow. While the [[Ninja] are not a small faction, Hidden Asteroid proper does not take up more than a tithe of the available volume. The rest of the interior of 498 Tokio is given over to pseudo-wilderness and agricultureOr will be once things get growing - or at least that's what visitors are told.The actual secretiveness of Ninja is somewhat exaggerated. But, if you're going to tell a joke, you may as well take it too far.

The [[Fenspace Travel Guide] has given a two stars to '''The Dancing Shinobi''', a Japanese-style bar in Seijutaigakure no Sato.

==Notes==

{{places}}
[[CategoryTonguelaces in Fenspace|Tokio]
[[Category:Main Belt|Tokio]

Any more contributions?

Edit: Yes, I see the grammar error in the final paragraph. (At least, now I do.) I'll fix it in the next update.
--
Rob Kelk

I think we can destub at this point. That's enough for a decent quick gloss on the subject and it provides enough blank space that people dealing with Hidden Asteroid can do their own thing as they feel a need to. It's short, yeah, but they can't *all* be 50kb monster articles. Wink
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Done. And that grammar error I spotted is fixed.

We've now gone from 193 stubs to ...(goes and looks)... 196 stubs. (Yes, I know that was my fault.) New stub, picked at random, coming in a new thread.

Edit: Specifically, http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/6912]this new thread.
--
Rob Kelk