Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Help with A.C.'s dress uniform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Proginoskes Wrote:I know the Wizards as a faction are made up primarily of Harry Potter fen, but I can't help but think of Wizards of the Coast instead. In that vein, I propose that the Wizards grant to the most powerful (politically, or, through a fortuitous biomod, physically) of their number the rank and title of Planeswalker, which includes the right to use that title's charge in his or her personal arms:

AC, not being an actual member of the Wizards faction, is "only" an honorary Planeswalker, but that doesn't stop whatever PR-hypersensitive Supers bureaucrat is behind AC's baroque outfit from jamming the charge in there, somewhere.
It's better that the Ravenclaw colours checked bowtie I was tending towards...

Foxboy Wrote:Would make a cracking good "peek-a-boo" decolletage cutout.
Maybe for her 'official wizarding robes'. Smile Or any number of dresses actually. Wink

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Do the Girls and Doug get this honor? After all, they're far more qualified than almost anyone else...

I'd say so, but unless a) they come back and, b) they let the wizards know about their abilities, I doubt we'd be seeing them with it.
ANND I've finally got off my behind and finished this. Have fun, because I'm now working on either the simplified version, or ways for A.C. to avoid wearing it at all.

A.C. hated wearing her Full Dress Uniform from S.H.I.E.L.D., mainly because her biomod quirks both made her devastatingly sexy and wanting to slip into a revealing wavetex micro-dress. Of course, there were all the OTHER things about it that she hated because of the regs. The Supers were remarkably anal about their rules in these cases.
What she considered one of the few good parts of the regs was the insistence that all uniformed officers and soldiers had to wear a ballistic-weave counter-pressure suit under the main uniform. The Scarlet Angel had her own take on such things, and as such had her standard active bioplastic sheathed mono-crystal diamond chainmail second skin bodysuit on.

The main components of the uniform were black dress pants, white dress shirt with midnight blue bowtie, midnight blue dress jacket with silver buttons, and midnight blue cap with black visor and silver backed black enamelled S.H.I.E.L.D. eagle. In difference to her biomod quirks, she had mirror-shined 3.5"/9cm heeled black ankle boots on.

This was where things got complicated.

As a command level officer, she was obliged to have the silver double chin strap on her cap. However, being a 'detached duty' officer she wouldn't have the oak leaves and acorns on the visor. She would have had silver piping along its rim.

As an OF-8 level Great Justice Troubleshooter who was also a uniformed officer (even a 'detached duty' one like her), she was required to have full epaulettes on her shoulders. This included silver tassels all around the edge rather than the braiding that would normally be there due to her various reputations.

Over her left breast were her various awards and medals. She felt it fortunate that most of her achievements were non-awardable due to security, but she still had ten of the things there, including the Ace of Aces medal with three bronze clusters.
Above them was a long double gold bar with enamelled 'ribbons'. The gold represented the top level of qualifications (with silver and bronze following), and the enamelled ribbons showing her military qualifications. These included Orbital Drop (with gold border for essentially creating the discipline), Ship-master (with gold star for fleet command experience), Ground Command (with silver star for campaign command experience), Pilot (the position of the silver dots indicating fighter, bomber and recon qualifications), and Medical (with silver oak leaf for battalion command experience).

As a recognised 'Champion' she was required to have a full length cape. This was again in midnight blue and made of armour-cloth. The design had an embroidered SHIELD emblem in the centre, and was bordered with a ribbon in her 'official costume' colours. Given she didn't HAVE an official costume (if she HAD, she'd be wearing that and dealing with other uniform regs), this was taken to be her 'stereotypical' outfit of black mini-dress and high heeled boots and scarlet full length trench coat. Thus, a scarlet bordered black ribbon. Due to the epaulettes she had, the cape and clasps fastened to them rather than under the shoulder straps otherwise, and kept it out of the way more. A.C. severely wished she could use a Greatcoat instead of the cape, but at least she'd managed to get it for use in Mess Dress.

The difference between her given rank and her practical rank caused a few problems in how it was displayed. Her epaulettes and sleeve cuffs had the four gold bands of a Naval captain, but over them was the silver star of a Brigadier. There was no star above them as she wasn't a line officer; instead she had the 'ship over sunburst' from the Flag of the Fenspace Convention.

As if this wasn't complicated enough, other factions had 'granted' her (mostly without telling her, and mostly because it made them laugh at the thought) the right to certain elements of their own uniforms. And because the Supers were very conscious of interfactional and public relations, she was obliged to wear them all.

From the Trekkies she had a Klingon style Marine baldric which draped over her right shoulder to her left hip. This was attached to the Crimson stable belt from the Warsies' Crimson Guard formal uniform. On this hung a scarlet and gold tasselled Tessen from Hidden Asteroid on her right hip, a ceremonial bronze short Xiphos (peace bound) from the Cybers on her left.
The Wizards, after much discussion, gave her the honourary rank of Planeswalker, and as such she bore the emblem of a Planeswalker on the baldric over her right breast.
The Senshi had (to no-one's surprise) granted the symbol and uniform the Senshi of Mars. What this led to was a silver version of the Astronomical Symbol of Mars hanging from the chain between the cloak clasps with twin silver shoulder chains, ruby six-point stars dangling from her ears, pure white silk gloves, the aforementioned tassels to her epaulettes, silver braid embroidered around her cloak ribbon, and scarlet stripes down the outside of her pants.
The Roughriders ended up giving her a set of polished steel rowelled box spurs. The intervention of the assigned Senshi to the Roughriders caused the rowel to be the red enamelled star of Mars over the onyx eight-pointed star of the Roughriders. Up until it hit the other Senshi's contribution, whereupon the rowels became rubies over onyx. A.C. still sighed at the thought of Mayonaka's first "AUNTIE-A!" flying tackle-hug after getting them the first time.
The peaked cap and visor she WOULD have had was replaced by the ushanka given to her by the Soviet Air Force. However, this particular ushanka was given to her by Sora Hasegawa, and as such had Stellvia's II emblem rather than the S.H.I.E.L.D. eagle or the Soviet Rose on the front. For whatever reason, this stayed as A.C.'s official headwear, even if this was completely different to everyone else and for whatever reason the synthetic fur seemed to be silvered rather than grey.
To the right side of her qualifications bar was a pin with the device of a dragon in flight above a wide-spreading deciduous tree, granted by Greenwood.

It was times like these that she wished she'd given in and gone for the outfit that looked like an Ohtori Academy Student Council Uniform.
Quote:or ways for A.C. to avoid wearing it at all.
Besides "Don't show up," I assume...

There's bound to be more than one faction that doesn't believe in "full dress". One might note that during the sole event hosted by Stellvia Corporation where full dress would have been appropriate, A.C. was instead required to wear a tuxedo (being in the wedding party and all). I've http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... orporation]mentioned elsewhere that Noah likes A.C., and thus wouldn't put her through the headache of "full dress" if he had a choice... which may explain why A.C. hangs out at Stellvia so much when she's not at home.

Edit: Of course there's another faction where dressing up like this isn't necessary - the "Long" Heinleinans. "Formal dress or formal skin" does offer a choice, after all...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The Browncoats would also be likely to say, "Shoot - we don't stand on ceremony, dong ma? Wear what you like."
The closest that Jupiter Mining Corporation gets to having a uniform at all is merely a page in the employee manual, describing the optional uniform patterned after the basic khaki uniforms worn in Red Dwarf the first couple of seasons... slacks or skirt, dress shirt with sewn-on name badge, and tie. But it is optional. The vast majority of the employees will wear jumpsuits or hard wearing outfits of various descriptions when working.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
The Roughriders do encourage their pilots, scientists, medics, and technicians to maintain a dress uniform as it makes for good recognition at social functions (after all, not everybody knows everybody). However, while sufficiently dressy, the Roughrider Dress Uniform is also comfortable - easy to wear and easy to don. And it's machine washable.

Just what makes the Roughriders uniform so favored? Two words: Dennim Pants.

Well... it's not really dennim. It's a specially wave-enhanced material that appears like the Certified Naval Twill material used in the USN's Dress Uniforms, but it has Dennim's comfortable texture.

Color depends on what department you're in. Black for combat personel, Blue for the Roughnecks (construction battalion), Haze Gray for the HARDES (science and exploration), and white for the Angels of Mercy (Medical/Relief Corps). The fit is generally your standard boot-cut, but women also have the option of fitted pants (because Ben loves it when the women in his organization cause minor chaos with prolonged double-takes) and denim skirts.

The Doc Martin boots help, too. Wink
Quote:and white for the Angels of Mercy (Medical/Relief Corps)
Didn't realize you have a medical corps... How many pre-fab MASH units do you want from the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Foundation]Nikaido Foundation? (It isn't that difficult to divert a few away from Doctors Without Borders when you own the Foundation...)
--
Rob Kelk

It's an idea I've been playing around with. With a construction battalion, the two go hand in hand after all.
I don't recall all the details of the MASH units and I don't see any links on the Nikaido Foundation's page. But, if I recall correctly, they are based on standard cargo containers, yes? Anyhow, Angels of Mercy would be the brainchild of Momma Jones. And don't think that just because they took the Hypocratic Oath means they won't shoot someone that's gonna shoot them. (Though granted, it'll be with a Zat gun.) Yep, they are bold and daring medical technicians that brave the hot zones.
Their primary means of transportation will probably resemble a super cargo container ship, but it would be built from the keel-up to be a sea-landing stellar transport vehicle. Being built as an original construct she is one of the few fully hardtech ships in the Roughrider's register. This means that there are very few quirks and places 'Dane-side that are wave-paranoid are more comfortable with them around.
Upon landing off-shore of a disaster site, MASH units are rapidly airlifted into position, followed by the far more numerous housing units. Meanwhile, the Roughnecks are not far behind, setting up to assist in search and rescue efforts as well as performing damage control on a civic scale. The ship also serves as a supply base, capable of carrying hundreds of tons of medical supplies, equipment, and food.
Roughriders would probably take the MASH units to a whole new level by making specialized units such as a Neurological Unit, an Advanced Life Support/IC Unit, a Shock/Burn Unit, and a Maternity Unit.
Quote:I don't recall all the details of the MASH units and I don't see any links on the Nikaido Foundation's page. But, if I recall correctly, they are based on standard cargo containers, yes?
Yes. The only description is the one on that page: "A few of the cargo containers are outfitted as fully-Danetech field surgeries and donated to Medecins Sans Frontieres so that their doctors can work to their full potential after disasters. These are always "abandoned in place" in an effort to provide at least basic emergency medical facilities all over the Solar System."

Which, of course, means we don't even need to divert any away from MSF - the Foundation would simply supply some to whoever wants and can use them.

Quote:Their primary means of transportation will probably resemble a super cargo container ship, but it would be built from the keel-up to be a sea-landing stellar transport vehicle.
Perfect for carrying converted cargo containers, then... Have a couple of dozen single-family-dwelling containers and a communal-shower container to go with each surgery container; assembling them together to form a small field hospital is your job.
--
Rob Kelk

Cool. Sounds like I get to do yet more write-ups. Wink
Pages: 1 2