Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Help with A.C.'s dress uniform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ever since Rob mentioned it in the alt-Fenspace thread, I've been pondering precisely WHAT A.C.'s S.H.I.E.L.D. dress uniform looked like. Essentially, I've gone for something like US Navy Service Dress, but a bit flashier. The current description is included below.

While I was trying to build it up, I realised that the Supers are big on interfactional cooperation and good at public relations and as such someone like A.C. will have extras for her uniform from other factions that others won't, and the uniform itself won't be standard because of it. A.C. probably would prefer the Sailor Mars fuku or a super costume to the S.H.I.E.L.D. dress uniform.

At the moment, I'm missing contributions from three factions (the Wizards because they and A.C. are based in the Belt, the VVS, and Stellvia) but if anyone can figure out other factions that may have a reason to grant the use of recognisable elements of their uniforms I'll consider it, but there has to be an reasonable official reason for the paperwork (as noted in the writeup, because they find it funny to see how the Supers and A.C. will incorporate said element is more likely the true reason).

Please read the below description before offering extra components. It IS supposed to be an actual dress uniform.

A.C. hated wearing her Full Dress Uniform from S.H.I.E.L.D., mainly because her biomod quirks both made her devastatingly sexy and wanting to slip into a revealing wavetex micro-dress. Of course, there were all the OTHER things about it that she hated because of the regs. The Supers were remarkably anal about their rules in these cases.
What she considered one of the few good parts of the regs was the insistence that all uniformed officers and soldiers had to wear a ballistic-weave counter-pressure suit under the main uniform. The Scarlet Angel had her own take on such things, and as such had her standard active bioplastic sheathed mono-crystal diamond chainmail second skin bodysuit on.

The main components of the uniform were black dress pants, white dress shirt with midnight blue bowtie, midnight blue dress jacket with silver buttons, and midnight blue cap with black visor and silver backed black enamelled S.H.I.L.E.D. eagle. In difference to her biomod quirks, she had mirror-shined 3.5”/9cm heeled black ankle boots on.

This was where things got complicated.

As a command level officer, she was obliged to have the silver double chin strap on her cap. However, being a ‘detached duty’ officer she didn’t have the oak leaves and acorns on the visor. She had silver piping along its rim.

As an OF-8 level Great Justice Troubleshooter who was also a uniformed officer, she was required to have full epaulettes on her shoulders. This included silver tassels all around the edge rather than the braiding that would normally be there due to her various reputations.

Over her left breast were her various awards and medals. She felt it fortunate that most of her achievements were non-awardable due to security, but she still had ten of the things there, including the Ace of Aces medal with three bronze clusters.
Above them was a long double gold bar with enamelled ‘ribbons’. The gold represented the top level of qualifications (with silver and bronze following), and the enamelled ribbons showing her military qualifications. These included Orbital Drop (with gold boarder for essentially creating the discipline), Ship-master (with gold star for fleet command experience), Ground Command (with silver star for campaign command experience), Pilot (the position of the silver dots indicating fighter, bomber and recon qualifications), and Medical (with silver oak leaf for battalion command experience).

As a recognised ‘Champion’ she was required to have a full length cape. This was again in midnight blue and made of armour-cloth. The design had an embroidered SHIELD emblem in the centre, and was bordered with a ribbon in her ‘official costume’ colours. Given she didn’t HAVE an official costume (if she HAD, she’d be wearing that and dealing with other uniform regs), this was taken to be her ‘stereotypical’ outfit of black mini-dress and high heeled boots and scarlet full length trench coat. Thus, a scarlet bordered black ribbon. Due to the epaulettes she had, the cape and clasps fastened to them rather than under the shoulder straps otherwise, and kept it out of the way more.

The difference between her given rank and her practical rank caused a few problems in how it was displayed. Her epaulettes and sleeve cuffs had the four gold bands of a Naval captain, but over them was the silver star of a Brigadier. There was no star above them as she wasn’t a line officer; instead she had the ‘ship over sunburst’ from the Flag of the Fenspace Convention.

As if this wasn’t complicated enough, other factions had ‘granted’ her (mostly without telling her, and mostly because it made them laugh at the thought) the right to certain elements of their own uniforms. And because the Supers were very conscious of interfactional relations and public relations, she was obliged to wear them all.

From the Trekkies she had a Klingon style Marine baldric which draped over her right shoulder to her left hip. This was attached to the Crimson stable belt from the Warsies’ Crimson Guard formal uniform. On this hung a scarlet and gold tasselled Tessen from Hidden Asteroid on her right hip, a ceremonial bronze short Xiphos (peace bound) from the Cybers on her left.
The Senshi had (to no-one’s surprise) granted the symbol and uniform the Senshi of Mars. What this led to was a silver version of the Astronomical Symbol of Mars hanging from the chain between the cloak clasps with twin silver shoulder chains, ruby five-point stars dangling from her ears, pure white silk gloves, the aforementioned tassels to her epaulettes, silver braid embroidered around her cloak ribbon, and scarlet stripes down the outside of her pants.
The Roughriders ended up giving her a set of polished steel rowelled box spurs. The intervention of the assigned Senshi caused the rowel to be the red enamelled star of Mars. Up until it hit the other Senshi’s contribution, whereupon the rowels became rubies.
Hm.

The base dress uniform of the VVS is (naturally) based off the dress uniform of the original Soviet Air Force, though in dark gray instead of olive green or khaki. Ultimately, I think the Reds would take pity on A.C. and just let her wear a Soviet Rose pin somewhere visible. Or for the comedy option, replace the SHIELD cap with an ushanka (with appropriate insignia). Your call. Wink
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Nice! I was gonna mention the Spurs, but it looks like you got it already. Although, if the Spurs were Onix, that would mean that AC Peters is one of the extraordinarily few people that the Magnificent Midnight trusted at her controls. Wink
Stellvia doesn't have a dress uniform, just a set of duty uniforms... and the engineering duty uniform is black slacks and a white pullover sweater.

And dress uniforms don't have unit shoulder patches.

Ah, well... I suppose http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... a_logo.png]a simple "II" pin somewhere in the awards will have to do.

Edit:
Quote:Or for the comedy option, replace the SHIELD cap with an ushanka (with appropriate insignia).
Or an ushanka with the "II" logo, for increased comedy. In-universe, A.C. got the ushanka from Sora...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Is this turning, in part, into a list of the various craft's dress uniforms? 'Cause the Corners' dress uniform is jeans and a T-shirt (design/slogan variable). I can't think of any honors AC might have earned from the GC's crew/command staff, so I luckily don't have to come up with something she can pin on her increasingly-baroque outfit to commemorate it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:Is this turning, in part, into a list of the various craft's dress uniforms?
Why not? Knowing that a particular uniform is worn by members of a particular faction can add a bit of verisimilitude to a story, or provide a buried clue (or a red herring) in a mystery, after all.
Quote:'Cause the Corners' dress uniform is jeans and a T-shirt (design/slogan variable).
If you'd said "polo shirt" instead of "T-shirt", I would have pointed out the original Stellvia uniform...
--
Rob Kelk

Hrm... Funny thought. Do you guys think you could see Gina wearing an Utena-esque getup? Because I had the sudden thought of Gina watching RGU and loving every minute of it... except for the parts with Akio. Then she goes "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD-GOD!" Wink
blackaeronaut Wrote:Nice! I was gonna mention the Spurs, but it looks like you got it already. Although, if the Spurs were Onix, that would mean that AC Peters is one of the extraordinarily few people that the Magnificent Midnight trusted at her controls. Wink

Well, I didn't want to presume... I mean, even if A.C.'s the only person in Fenspace with cyber-bioroid/biologically enhanced andriod constructions experience (Hello! Greenpeace! It's the reason Noah's working so closely with A.C. on awakening Honami Takase Ambler)...
Oh, and my brain wasn't working correctly. The star of Sailor Mars has six points. If you're willing, I can merge an Onix eight-pointed star (as used in the Roughriders insignia) with the six pointed ruby star of Mars in the spurs. It'd be kinder to any potential steeds A.C. needs to ride anyway.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Hrm... Funny thought. Do you guys think you could see Gina wearing an Utena-esque getup? Because I had the sudden thought of Gina watching RGU and loving every minute of it... except for the parts with Akio. Then she goes "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD-GOD!" Wink
And to think, I talked myself out of a Mars scarlet fuku underskirt/petticoat and back ribbons as they'd make the uniform far too complicated (there's the whole cape thing going on back there).

robkelk Wrote:Edit:
Quote:Or for the comedy option, replace the SHIELD cap with an ushanka (with appropriate insignia).
Or an ushanka with the "II" logo, for increased comedy. In-universe, A.C. got the ushanka from Sora...
Me likes... And Sora still tends to blush when A.C. repeats her standing offer to teach Sora her secrets of seduction...
(Let's just say, during the discussion between A.C. and Sora after the former remembered her/his involvement in the later's existence and how the latter wanted to see the former, A.C. bestowed upon Sora what the Scarlet Angel calls "a Real Kiss". Given that Sora still chose to see A.C. as her Mother (sort of, I still get the occasional "Uncle Mama!" cry in my head), this wasn't upgraded to "a Proper Kiss".)
Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:Nice! I was gonna mention the Spurs, but it looks like you got it already. Although, if the Spurs were Onix, that would mean that AC Peters is one of the extraordinarily few people that the Magnificent Midnight trusted at her controls. Wink
Well, I didn't want to presume... I mean, even if A.C.'s the only person in Fenspace with cyber-bioroid/biologically enhanced andriod constructions experience (Hello! Greenpeace! It's the reason Noah's working so closely with A.C. on awakening Honami Takase Ambler)...
Oh, and my brain wasn't working correctly. The star of Sailor Mars has six points. If you're willing, I can merge an Onix eight-pointed star (as used in the Roughriders insignia) with the six pointed ruby star of Mars in the spurs. It'd be kinder to any potential steeds A.C. needs to ride anyway.
Feel free to have at it.  I think Midnight would trust her enough.  Besides, I would love to see AC's look the first time she meets Mayonaka and she squeels, "AUNTIE-A!" as she goes in for the flying-tackle-hug.  (^_^)

Quote:Cobalt Greywalker wrote:

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:

Hrm... Funny thought. Do you guys think you could see Gina wearing an Utena-esque getup? Because I had the sudden thought of Gina watching RGU and loving every minute of it... except for the parts with Akio. Then she goes "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD-GOD!" Wink
And to think, I talked myself out of a Mars scarlet fuku underskirt/petticoat and back ribbons as they'd make the uniform far too complicated (there's the whole cape thing going on back there).
Well, Gina wouldn't wear the cape herself.  Petticoats and Epaulets are enough.  Ben, on the otherhand, gets the full treatment in his dress-uniform.  However, as a proper Texan ought to, there is a 'Planetside' version of his dress uniform where instead of a cape, he wears a black leather duster coat.
And yes, the Dramatic Breeze quirk is in full effect.  (^_^)
Hmm. I'd like to say that at some point back in OGJ, Bubbles had to MAKE one of those monstrosities, if only for Tom Dobbs' "boards" for his troubleshooter rank. Big Grin
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Well, since the issue's come up, a few notes.

GSS uniforms:

Standard ("Class D", "fatigues") duty: Two-tone black and blue-grey trousers and shirt, with red trim. (Based strongly on the Humankind Empire Abh uniform, from Banner of the Stars).

Like it, there is a slightly more formal version ("class C", "fatigues-plus") that adds a skirted overtunic with flared shoulders. This is the standard duty garb for officers, enlisted generally wear class-D's.

Rank insignia on both forms of fatigues is placed on the shoulders; enlisted wear understated chevrons while officers have a number of gold stripes, similar to US Navy practice.

Class-B Formal Dress uniform is based on the Amestrian uniform from 'Full Metal Alchemist', blue trousers and tunic with grey trim and a matching single-breasted longcoat. Rank insignia are worn on unfringed epaulets.

Class-A Mess Dress uniform consists of white trousers and ruffled blouse; a blue vest, white neckcloth, and a thigh-length tailored blue overcoat with fringed gold epaulets, 'frogged' with a baroque pattern of geometric curves in grey-blue. Those who currently hold a field command (such as a ship or squadron) add a red-bordered white sash. (Fans will recognize Lucrezia Noin's uniform from Gundam Wing).

A small handful of others (AC Peters, Douglas Sangnoir, Ben Rhodes, Gina (ICan'tRememberHerLastNameRightNow), and Mal Fnord among them) have been granted the right to wear the Greenwood insignia in some manner on their uniform, usually consisting of a subdued pin placed wherever medals and awards are worn on their individual service garb. The device consists of a dragon in flight above a wide-spreading deciduous tree.

((PS -- An ushanka? That's the furred soviet hat, right? Hmmmm. Yeah, I can see AC in one of those....)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
blackaeronaut]Feel free to have at it.  I think Midnight would trust her enough.  Besides, I would love to see AC's look the first time she meets Mayonaka and she squeels, AUNTIE-A!" as she goes in for the flying-tackle-hug.  (^_^)[/quote Wrote:She created Greenpeace.
Besides the blink of surprise at the call, A.C. handles flying-tackle-hugs with ease. Are Ben and Gina sure they want Greenpeace to be Sensei to Mayonka in the art of Airborne Appreciation Grappling?

[quote='blackaeronaut']Well, Gina wouldn't wear the cape herself.  Petticoats and Epaulets are enough.  Ben, on the otherhand, gets the full treatment in his dress-uniform.  However, as a proper Texan ought to, there is a 'Planetside' version of his dress uniform where instead of a cape, he wears a black leather duster coat.
And yes, the Dramatic Breeze quirk is in full effect.  (^_^)

ECSNorway Wrote:((PS -- An ushanka? That's the furred soviet hat, right? Hmmmm. Yeah, I can see AC in one of those....)
So can I, hence I'm using it.
Mmm. AC in greatcoat and ushanka... yeah. Smile (And there's a reason why both versions of the GSS dress uniform have a longcoat involved, yes there is...)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Random fen: She's completely covered! WHY IS SHE STILL SO DANGED SEXY?

Fufufufu!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
blackaeronaut Wrote:Hrm... Funny thought. Do you guys think you could see Gina wearing an Utena-esque getup?
As Utena, or as one of the other characters?

Because I could so see Gina dressed as the Rose Bride (on a bet, and hating every minute of it). "Rose Bride" Gina, "Sailor Mars" A.C., "The Paper" Yayoi... everybody slips up and wears a memorable outfit at least once while cosplaying, right?

(Oh, yes: Cobalt mentioning "Mess Dress" makes this sort-of on-topic... BA, email me at robkelk-at-gmail-dot-com with an address where I can send a few dozen multi-megabyte photos, please. This weekend was Doors Open Ottawa, and I think I got some decent shots of the inside of the local Naval Officers' Club that you might want to see, or use for reference for the Roughriders' club. Assuming I was able to hold the camera steady for the two-second-exposure low-light shots, of course. It'll take me a few days to get the photos off the camera, sorted, and ready to send to you, though, so you've got some time to free up space for them.)
Foxboy Wrote:Random fen: She's completely covered! WHY IS SHE STILL SO DANGED SEXY?
Other Random Fen: Because sexiness has nothing to do with nudity... Woah, she's hot!
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Other Random Fen: Because sexiness has nothing to do with nudity... Woah, she's hot!

Agreed 100%.

Random Trivia: I watched Gundam Wing and liked it despite the plot (which wasn't really all that awful, just rather amatuerishly Gundamesque). Why did I like it so much? Because the girls in those uniforms are -hot-. Smile The mere thought of AC dressed that way is enough that I simply have to say...

I'll be in my bunk. Wink
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
&ltsigh/>
I'm going to have to increase A.C.'s charisma score now...

ANYway, I'm still short on the Wizards. Most of the things that they may grant (robes, hats, wands, staffs?, BROOMSTICKS?) don't really fit or are already covered. I also don't think she's got an Order of Merlin, even 3rd class, because that'd go with the medals she already has.

I did consider her being given a Colour (you know, Gandalf the White, Lina the Pink, etc), but again it doesn't really fit (and is kinda redundant as it's probably be Scarlet and that's covered by other things). I'm not sure how to display it anyway.

Any ideas for magical/mystical sort of things from the Wizards to go with the rest of her Dress Uniform?
A House Badge or color to her tie?

-- James Nicoll
But that means I have to work out what House A.C. would BE in. And Marcus hasn't been born yet (see http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... nd_Wizards]Angels and Wizards), so I can't take that out. And making a Talking Ushanka is a little TOO weird.

Arg. Let me think on this. Any more ideas?
Use Ravenclaw. AC *is* a smartie, after all. Big Grin

-- James Nicoll
Sooner or later, Blackstone is going to take one look at this ensemble, and say, "Sweetheart, you're one of the Top Five Most Recognized Women in the Solar System. Wear whatever the hell you want."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Foxboy Wrote:Use Ravenclaw. AC *is* a smartie, after all. Big Grin
I could give an equally strong argument for Slytherin, and less strong ones for the others.

Ebony Wrote:Sooner or later, Blackstone is going to take one look at this ensemble, and say, "Sweetheart, you're one of the Top Five Most Recognized Women in the Solar System. Wear whatever the hell you want."
Well, the whole idea behind this is that A.C. wears it for the formal functions greeting the New Neighbours in alt-Fenspace, given her usual fashion sense might be a little too much for them.
It's also the first time the whole thing has been worn in public (slightly designed by commitee as it is), so while she makes it look GOOD there's probably going to be some polite requests to the Supers from the contibuting factions along the lines of "Yeah, that was really nice but a bit much." and certain rules will be quietly releaxed and withdrawn.
And A.C. can work out another version by herself.
I know the Wizards as a faction are made up primarily of Harry Potter fen, but I can't help but think of Wizards of the Coast instead. In that vein, I propose that the Wizards grant to the most powerful (politically, or, through a fortuitous biomod, physically) of their number the rank and title of Planeswalker, which includes the right to use that title's charge in his or her personal arms:
[Image: ffc1615d32919d1d042040c1b71c6151daa6cfd0.jpg]
AC, not being an actual member of the Wizards faction, is "only" an honorary Planeswalker, but that doesn't stop whatever PR-hypersensitive Supers bureaucrat is behind AC's baroque outfit from jamming the charge in there, somewhere.
Would make a cracking good "peek-a-boo" decolletage cutout.

-- James Nicoll
Do the Girls and Doug get this honor? After all, they're far more qualified than almost anyone else...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Pages: 1 2