Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Infinities] "Magic" wands + holoemitters = ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While sticking Mal's "Infinities" list of Senshi rules onto http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Millennium]the Senshi Talk page, I noticed this paragraph on http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Millennium]the Senshi main page:
Quote:Senshi use the same kinds of weapons as everyone else in Fenspace. Some Senshi keep trying to create magical wands for fighting evil, but so far have had less than success. The cognitive disconnect of seeing short-skirted girls wielding firearms can be jarring at first.
Which is true, at least for Fenspace 2012. But the Trekkies have holoemitters on Starbase 1. Somebody has managed to miniaturize those to hand-held size by the time Mayonaka and Helen are in their "tweens"... and The Jason teaches them how to use their portable holoemitters in combat.

I'm thinking that this is an obvious way to put "magic wands" into Fenspace, making the Senshi and the Wizards happy - build a dedicated holoemitter into a wand-shaped casing, and use it to produce forcefield strikes and grapples which simulate various magical girl attacks.

Hmmmmm... forcefield strike... "Force Push"... the Warsies are going to want in on this, too. As a bonus, they can use their stick-shaped holoemitters as lightsabers!

So, how big are these things? How powerful are they? How often do they need to be recharged? What else can they do? Or, is this idea too powerful for Fenspace?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
It depends on how we treat it. Given it's versitility, I can see a lot of development going into it.

Right, now onto specifics.

Holoemitters: These I can see being miniaturised quite a bit, but their size is in proportion to the complexity of the projection to be created and the area in which the projection can be created in. "Hand-held" covers an awful lot you know, so going by gut feeling say 3m radius? Energy usage wise, I'd say comparible with mobile phones so making about 10-14 days standby and about a days worth of active usage. Of course, sticking a bunch of smaller ones together would probably work better.

Solid light holos: These I see being at least an order of magnitude bigger normally and far more energy hungry. And I see them as more specific in construction. So yes you can have lightsabers, but that's all they are. I can't see ranges being more than a metre, and probably less, for hand held devices. Anything more complex than simple shapes will need to be fully 'wavetech (i.e. sonic screwdivers).

My initial thoughts only.
I had this awful image of a failed training exercise among a couple of would-be Jedi Knights... both with lightsabers... and thanks to slapstick effect, one is having to hold up the lower half of their robes where the lightsaber slashed them, yet left the wearer intact underneath.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Quote:I had this awful image of a failed training exercise among a couple of would-be Jedi Knights... both with lightsabers... and thanks to slapstick effect, one is having to hold up the lower half of their robes where the lightsaber slashed them, yet left the wearer intact underneath.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Possible Infinities: Use of a lightsaber against A.C. is banned under a little known clause inserted into the Convention a year after their invention. Those that know about it (i.e. the Jedi) assume that it causes problems with the handwavium heavy nature of her body, and as such watch their use around raw handwavium. This has the useful side-effect of increasing a typical Jedi's lightsaber skills. The truth is using a lightsaber against A.C. is a Bad Idea. A.C. herself authored the recommendation with the simple line "For all that is holy, don't use a light saber against me. I will go S7 on the perpetrators, and nobody (not the least of which is me) wants that."

OOC: In GURPS terms, a lightsaber strike against A.C. !!!***_DOUBLES_***!!! all speed related advantages A.C. possesses (I say again !!!***_DOUBLES_***!!! !!!***_ALL_***!!! speed related advantages she possesses) through hyper-charging of her body's handwavium for TURNS equal to damage. Needless to say, this is not something that is good for the attacker. Or anybody with them. Or support elements. Or the Space-Time Continuum.

On her pre-OGJ stats, this gives her DX 29, HT 22 (The DX and HT bonuses increase her basic speed BEFORE her basic speed bonus), Basic speed 24.75, Basic move 24, Altered Time Rate 6, Enhanced Move 8 (Ground move 6,144 (equivalent to 12,567 mph or Mach 16.6, which fortunately would take 37 seconds of sprinting to achieve), handling bonus +10), and Extra Attack 4.
.... I've always imagined lightsabers as being plasma torches on crack.

As for wands... I can definitely see them being use more like Gravity Guns.