Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [META] Stations at the L5 Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think the L5 All-Stations insignia pretty much hints that there are at least five stations at the Earth-Luna L5 point (if not more), but we've only established two of them so far. This thread is for suggestions as to who's in the other stations. (I've come up with every scrap of data about the stations in the L5 point, excepting the physical layout of Stellvia; it's long past time to share this corner of the sandbox.)

That logo has five stars on it - one each in orange, white, yellow, green, and blue. Orange is Stellvia with its orange insignia, and white is New Yavin with its Alliance-Clonetrooper white-clad Warsie troops. That leaves three stars for three stations...

Before asking "Who's there?", perhaps we should ask "Who's not there?" If the Trekkies had a station at L5, somebody would have mentioned it by now - instead, we've established that they've got starbases at Mars and AlphaCen. Babylon .5 is in Earth orbit, not at the L5 point. And the Jossies are out in the Jovian subsystem. (Then again, the Warsies are out on Mimas, and they've got New Yavin at L5, so this last one isn't a show-stopper.)

One thought: The blue star is for the Abriel, the Ahb home base. I can imagine a few folks biomodding themselves into Ahb, and the resulting 360-degree spatial sense would make them natural astroball players. I don't know enough about Crest/Banner of the Stars to go into detail here, though...

Any ideas for the yellow and green stars, or for expanding the Abriel description?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
About all I have is Green Planetoidy (don't ask), which is the brand-new waypoint for Jupiter Mining Corporation... part spacedock, part cargo handling station, still under construction on a space rock that was moved into place. Right now, their ship handling capacity is limited to two... one dock for a single Blue Midget class freighter, which can accommodate other vessels easily enough just from the scale involved, and a dedicated slip for either Starbug 1 or Starbug 2. Over the next ten years, the facility size is expected to enlarge to thirty cargo docks.
For the visual, imagine the old Space Academy asteroid facility... only all the buildings are done in a green version of the old Red Dwarf aesthetic.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Actually, I believe I stuck B.5 at L3. I suspect the nations of Earth would be nervous about having a good sized spacerock in a relatively close orbit. 8P

As for the Abh, Lafiel Abriel is already in-play. She might actually encourage that sort of thing.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
By rights, L5 should be one of the most densely-populated parts of Fenspace. It is after all part of the Holy Trinity of space advocacy (L5, Moon, Mars) for the last, oh, generation or so. A good forty years, anyway. There ought to be a lot of people building things or planning to build things at the L5 point, not just five stations.

(As a side point, this means we probably lowballed the population. Again. Argh.)

Working out a list, but this is going to take a while.

Oh, and Abriel Station should be Abliarsec Station. That's (from what I can gather) the actual name of the Abh homeworld-station-whateverthefuckitis. Fen are purists, after all. Big Grin
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Quote:Working out a list, but this is going to take a while.
We have a list - http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Cislunar_Space]on the FenWiki.

Earth Orbit: The ISS, Babylon .5, SR-06 Nouveau Paris, Disney's World

L1: (null entry)

L2: VVS EXFOR staging area

L3: Grover's Corners

L4: Benjamin Franklin Station, Greenwood

L5: Stellvia, New Yavin, SR-01 Space Station Beta, SR-02, SR-08 Wonderland

Of course, it isn't up to date; that Space Rock number for Wonderland is wrong... None of us can keep what we've got straight - and that includes me.

Quote:Oh, and Abriel Station should be Abliarsec Station. That's (from what I can gather) the actual name of the Abh homeworld-station-whateverthefuckitis. Fen are purists, after all. Big Grin
I told folks I didn't know enough about Crest/Banner of the Stars ... Thanks.

Another idea, suggested by Epsilon and riffed on by me: Genaros Station, where the action-cyberpunk Fen hang out and try to make hardsuits. (So far, they've only managed battlemovers, but the Whole Fenspace Catalog offers some promise.) Relations between Genaros and Stellvia became strained in 2012 when Genaros discovered Stellvia knew how to build "sexaroids", but refused to share the tech...

Edit: And here's a chart of where all the Lagrangian points are in a three-body system (the third body being one of the Lagrangian points).

[Image: Lagrange_points.jpg]

L4 is a third of a circle in front of L5, which is one logistical reason why Benjamin Franklin Station doesn't contribute team members to the L5 All-Stations.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:We have a list - on the FenWiki.

Not what I meant. I'm trying to work out a list of stations for L5. There should be at least five or six small-town stations (pop. 1-5000) and a couple of industrial platforms there alongside Stellvia, New Yavin, Beta, Wonderland, Abliarsec and Genaros. At the stable Lagrange point there's room for dozens, maybe hundreds of stations big and small. Granted, by 2016ish it's not that dense yet, but still...

Ah.

Well, that's why I started this thread - to build that list...

(And SR-02 is an industrial platform; Dow co-owns it.)
--
Rob Kelk

You had New Yavin listed twice.

And that diagram looks like Earth-sun Lagrange points, not Earth-moon...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Ya, that's the Earth-Sun L points, Earth-Moon are shown here http://dolio.lh.net/~apw/astro/orbit.html looks the same at first glance.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:You had New Yavin listed twice.
New Yavin, New Yavin - the station so nice, they named it twice!

(My bad, not the wiki's. Now fixed.)

Bob Schroeck Wrote:And that diagram looks like Earth-sun Lagrange points, not Earth-moon...

It is. It's also a public domain image, so I could use it. It isn't as if other combinations have their Lagrangian points at different relative locations...
--
Rob Kelk

To recap, here's what we've got so far at Earth-Luna L5, with some proposed registry numbers.

L5-A: Stellvia
L5-A1: Kohran's lab (orbits Stellvia; not to be confused with L5-A-001 Epsilon Blade)
L5-A2: Stellvia Astroball Stadium
L5-B: New Yavin
L5-C: Space Station Beta
L5-D: Abliarsec Station
L5-E: SR-02 (which really needs a better name... or any name, for that matter)
L5-F: Genaros Station
L5-G: Wonderland
L5-H: Green Planetoidy

This assumes folks follow the registry convention set by Stellvia and New Yavin, of course. But since we've already established Stellvia as the local point to file paperwork, this isn't a huge assumption...
--
Rob Kelk

Hokay, here's my (incomplete) list so far, with proposed population breakdown. Apologies for the table-breaking.

Edit: original table breaker pulled in favor of newer table breaking list below.

Proposal for S: Space Station Three, where Filkers hang out when in cislunar. No word on whether it's haunted, but they've got a steady supply of fresh fruit...

Oh, and this answers the original question... The five original stations of the L5 All-Stations are Stellvia (orange), New Yavin (white), Abliarsec (blue), Genaros (yellow), and Tsunami (green). Genaros dropped out in 2012 (that team member called Yayoi a sexaroid, she heard him, she slapped him, Cal told him either he left or Yayoi and Cal left...), being replaced by Island One. Tsunami rotated out in 2013 (war losses), being replaced by Central. And the original Abliarsec pilot left in late-2013 (marriage), but was replaced by another Ahb pilot.
--
Rob Kelk

Allright, revision time. The list of empty names has been whittled down to four. Suggestions welcome, a wiki entry will be coming as soon as the list is complete.

Station Name Reg ID Ltr Notes

Stellvia A see [[Stellvia] for details
Stellvia Annex A-1 Kohran's private lab detached frm Stellvia main
Astroball Arena A-2 no permanent population; up to 7,500 transient during a game
New Yavin B see [[New Yavin] for details
Beta C aka ISS-2; largely low-G experiments, astronomy; run by Artemis
Herbert Henry D aka SR-02; Dow Chemical industrial rock
Tsunami E home base for Juraian faction;
Abliarsec F Abh biomods/Crest of the Stars fen; largely Japanese expats in nature
Genaros G first of the Cities in Space[tm]; fusion cyberpunk culture
Island One H set up by American space advocates;
Central I City in Space[tm]; mostly Ausfen-Eurofen generalists
Stardust J Eurofen (German division) Pulper habitat; Perry Rhodan fen mostly
John Henry K industrial platform; builds space habitat components; generalist-fendane
Robur's Eyrie L Eurofen (French division) Pulper habitat; symbol black flag w/gold sun
Ravenmoon M smallish habitat for devoted Wiccans; considered a backwater in L5
(needs a name) N
Libertatia O ex-Pirate HQ; reduced to point-of-presence and tourist trap
Humanitas Excelsior P Extropian/transhuman enclave; trying to build advanced nanotech & biotech
A Baoa Qu Q center of AEUG & other Gundam fen activity
(needs a name) R
Space Station Three S Filker habitat; always has fresh fruit; may or may not be haunted
(needs a name) T
Wonderland U see [[Wonderland] for details
Green Planetoidy V JMC cargo waypoint
Over The Rainbow W industrial platform abandoned mid-build, inhabited by squatters
(needs a name) X
Lief Erickson Y Discordian habitat; home of the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything
Clarke County Z habitat for fendanes of a certain bent

I think it's only fitting that one station at L-5 be called "O'Neill".
-- Bob
---------
M Fnord Wrote:A Baoa Qu Q center of AEUG & other Gundam fen activity
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No! Forbidden! No chance of a Colony Drop allowed!
--
Rob Kelk

A thought for one of those unalloted stations: Noah can't be the only eccentric millionaire who decided L5 was a better place for his private residence than Pallas is. (Just because Noah turned his home into a trading post, then a hotel, doesn't mean everyone else has to be a Rugged Capitalist, after all.)
--
Rob Kelk

I agree with Bob. And Rob.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Allright, here's my draft of the wiki mod for L5. Many thanks to Firvulag for his suggestions for the last couple of station names.

The full list of stations with reg letters and populations can be found here, to avoid more table-breaking.

====Lagrange 5====
L5 was one of the first areas to be permanently settled, and continues to be one of the most diverse and densely settled areas of Fenspace. Roughly 40,000 people live at the L5 point permanently, while another 10-20,000 pass through the area on any given day.

The [[Warsies] began construction of '''[[New Yavin]''' around the same time the [[Stellvians] began work upon '''[[Stellvia]'''. Not long afterward, [[Rockhounds] mining asteroids SR-01 and SR-02 were placed into orbit around the L5 point; SR-01 would eventually pass to [[NASA] and be renamed '''Beta Station''', and SR-02 became the '''Herbert Henry Station''' industrial platform. Other early adopters followed. The [[Juraians] built '''Tsunami''' not long after the Space Rocks arrived, and were followed by the Abh and their home base '''Abliarsec'''.

The first three "space cities" started going up in 2010. '''[[Genaros]''', the largest habitat in the L5 area, was set up as a cyberpunk playground with a Japanese-American fusion culture. '''[[Island One] '''was put in place by a group of American space advocates. '''[[Central Station]''' was the work of Australian and European generalist Fen; intended to be the defacto capital of L5, Central has yet to wrest that title away from Stellvia.

Other stations at L5 include:

* '''John Henry Station''', an industrial platform that supplies most of the components used to build everything in L5.
* '''Stardust Station,''' the primary outpost of Perry Rhodan fen in Fenspace.
* '''Robur's Eyrie''', a French [[Pulper] habitat with excellent manners and a somewhat sinister reputation.
* The heart of Gundam-fen activity in cislunar space, '''A Baoa Qu''' is also the headquarters of the [[Anti-Earth Union Group].
* The small Extropian enclave of '''Humanitas Excelsior'''.
* The equally small Wiccan temple-monastery '''Ravenmoon Station'''.
* The '''Colony''' is the main point of presence for [[Galactican] Cylons. Needless to say, the station is ''not'' popular with Galactican Colonials, but maintains good relations with AI-friendly factions.
* '''Libertatia Station,''' originally the center of the [[Space Pirates], has declined since the opening of SSX Base on [[6565 Reiji]. The station acts as a friendly port-of-call for Pirates in the inner system.
* '''Space Station Three''', a [[Dandelion] boarding house/concert hall that may or may not be haunted.
* Meetpoint Station is a minor trade center and conference facility. Built and maintained by a group of CJ Cherryh fen, Meetpoint is considered more "neutral" ground than the more politically-ambitious ''Stellvia'' and ''Central''.
* '''[[Wonderland] Station''', a Stellvian subsidary and the major agriculture station in L5.
* '''Green Planetoidy''', a cargo transfer platform built by the [[Jupiter Mining Corporation].
* '''Over The Rainbow''', originally a failed industrial platform taken over by the construction crew and other squatters. The [[Space Patrol] suspects it may be a waypoint on the [[Boskonian] pipeline.
* '''O'Neill Station '''and '''Kickassia''' are private habitats belonging to generalist Fen with more money than sense. Both stations are nominal members of the Convention, but don't interact with the rest of Fenspace that often.
* '''Lief Erickson Station''', a post-war station that acts as a bridge between the [[Discordians] and the [[Space Pirates]. Home of the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.
* The newest addition to the L5 menagerie, '''Clarke County''' is home to a group of fendanes with [[Nivenite] and [[Heinleinian] tendencies.

We might want to put the full table on the wiki as well, possibly on its own "List of Stations at L5" page. Other than that, I see no problems with this edit.
--
Rob Kelk

Yeah, looks good to me, too.
-- Bob
---------
And it's up.

So's the table.

Also, since I'm in a kind of station-y mood at the moment, have a quick comparison shot of Stellvia vs. a generic Bernal Sphere (the design I'm assuming for Genaros, Island One & Central).:

[Image: bernalspherecomparisons.th.jpg]

Since Mal provided a link, I've stubbed the http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Genaros]Genaros page.

Edit: Have a stub for http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... tion_Three]Space Station Three, while I'm at it. Yes, I've updated the "Musicians Aid Society" and "Myths of Fenspace" pages.
--
Rob Kelk

Once again, I got bored. And when I get bored, I get artistic. So have a picture and some writing:

[Image: bernalspheres.th.jpg]

“When you get to Genaros, the first thing you notice is that it's very dim inside. Normally there's a set of windows at both ends of the colony that will provide light to the interior, but for some reason the builders tinted the windows so they only let in maybe 25% of the light normal windows let through. 'Mirrorshading,' they call it. The result is an interior that's caught in perpetual twilight, like it's always at the brink of dusk. The shortfall of light is made up by sodium vapor streetlamps and neon. Oh lord, the neon. It reminds me of what Vegas might look like if it was sucked into Hell by way of Tokyo.

“The whole damn colony is like that. There isn't a strip of green anywhere in the main cylinder – you have to go to the hydroponics modules at the south pole for that. Everywhere else it's (lovingly hoarded from Earth and laid down) concrete and Rockhounds steel everywhere, trimmed with the gaudiest neon lighting this side of Shinjuku. Every now and then it rains, which is just sprinklers set into the spindle concealed by holographics, the sky 'like a television tuned to a dead channel,' just like Gibson wrote.

“If I were to envision a cyberpunk theme park, I couldn't do any better than Genaros. It's dark, dingy, damp, bright, shiny, full of promise and threat. What I don't understand – what I may never understand – is how people can stand to live there all the time.”

Pages: 1 2