Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Best Eats in Fenspace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've noticed a few eating establishments have reputations for serving the best example of a particular food in Fenspace. The best Monte Cristo Sandwich is found at "Ham & Monk's" in the Clark Savage, Jr. Memorial Stadium and Music Complex on Deimos; the best Garlic Steak Sandwich is served at "Manny O'Kelly's Bar" in Moonbase Alpha, Luna, and the best Tollhouse Cookies can be bought by the dozen at "Meg's" in Stellvia.

Anyone have any more of these? A good-sized list would make for a handy sidebar in the Fenspace Travel Guide...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Certainly, some of the best curry comes from 'Dave Lister's Curry Shack', which is a little kiosk tucked into a corner of the Green Planetoidy concourse. There, you can get all known Earth varieties of curry, in any level of heat you desire, with whatever meats or other protein you want, including caviar and peanut butter. They also have a small selection of 'wavium enhanced curries, which some swear can strip the anodized coating off of aluminum tools and yet still retains an incredibly rich and delicate flavor. There is also a rather complimentary menu of shakes, including a bizarre but really quite delicious selection of beer milkshakes, including lager, stout, and pale flavors.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
You want Spaghetti, you to go Tony's at Ceres
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
For the best blackened California roll in Fenspace, you go to Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I read the title of this wrong, and now I have a mental image of Alton Brown on a 'Waved BMW, touring the Solar System...
I see nothing wrong with Good Eats in Fenspace.

(Another way to read the title wrong: The Jason's been up to something again, creating the Best Ents in Fenspace.)

But that's not what I was hoping to talk about here...
--
Rob Kelk

For the best Barbecue, look no further than 36 Atalante's Pilot's Club - a bar that mimics that of Benjamin's Grandfather's place. This includes a massive L-shaped bar with plenty of room for tables for eating, pool tables and poker tables.

The featured barbecue is a sweet and mild variety that has been a family secret recipe for three generations and comes in pulled beef brisket, pulled pork, and chicken wings. In proper Texas fashion, the meat is marinated for four days and nights before being slow-cooked in brick pits for another four days and nights. Variations on the original flavor are available, such as honey-mesquite and (for the especially brave) Habenero SRB.

The Pilot's Club is a pub that is open to any visitors that happen to stumble upon the military base.
The position of "best Pizza place in Fenspace" is a matter of some sharp contention. The division between "New York style" and "Chicago style" fans has occasioned heated debate on the subject. Currently, the reputed 'best' are two separate restaurants, in rather divergent locations.

The best Chicago-style is to be found at, fen currently agree, Jocko Bruce's Bar and Grill, located on asteroid 37 Fides.

New-York-style pizza fans are split, but the majority seem to have settled on an unassuming little hole-in-the-wall known simply as "The Pizza Stop", found in downtown Greenwood City.

The Mob owns a minority share (20% in Jocko's case, paid down from an initial investment of 30%; currently 35% in The Pizza Stop - they required a larger loan due to the high operating cost of maintaining a genuine wood-fired oven), of both restaurants.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
The best cheeseburger in Fenspace is the Smallville Slider at Jerry's Up and Away in Kandor.

The best wine in Fenspace comes from a Heinleinian family vineyard on Mars. They are currently unaware of just how good their Martian Red varietal is, and their lack of labeling supplies is driving the Hotel Bradbury insane trying to stock it from anecdotal evidence of a former visitor using it with a meal there.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
robkelk Wrote:I see nothing wrong with Good Eats in Fenspace.

(Another way to read the title wrong: The Jason's been up to something again, creating the Best Ents in Fenspace.)

But that's not what I was hoping to talk about here...

I think you might mean Feasting on X with 'X' being space, which doesn't work as a main show title. No Reservations could do a complete season in fenspace at some stage.

Best hamburger....SAS's cafe puts out a decent attempt at being so, but as they're mainly Earthside prefers to leave it to the professionals. Wagyu burgers hmm nice.
It may not be the Best Chili in Fenspace (that's such a subjective thing, in any case, especially with chili), but the Banzai Institute's Dark Chili of the Sith is one of the most distinctive. Several variations exist, but the original concept was developed by Blue Blazers Sensei, Bane, and Philosopher Bob, who came up with it several years before the Diaspora. Blackstone brought the recipe with him when he and the others moved into the Bunkhouse, and he trots it out from time to time.
The name comes from the starter roux, which consists of bacon grease, masa flour, the bacon itself (fried until super crispy and then ground into a powder), chipotle chilis, and adobo. The resulting concoction makes for a dark stock that the tomatoes that are later added does appreciably lighten. The final product is about the color of a bar of dark chocolate (especially if baker's chocolate is added, as is sometimes the case), rather than the more conventional brownish-red. Beans are usually cooked separately, rather than being added to the chili, due to the long-running rivalry between chili aficionados about the necessity of legumes in their chili.
Various rumors abound about the Dark Chili. Blackstone claims that it has restorative powers, and will often make a batch to "purge bad humours" from the Bunkhouse or its residents. Other Blazers claim that it will cure everything from male pattern baldness to urinary infections. Still others claim that it doubles as a paint thinner or engine degreaser. There is no denying that the amount of capsacin present in the chili can clear the sinuses, but any supposed medicinal (or other) value is apocryphal. Most agree that it's pretty good chili, whatever the case, even if it has a tendency to tend towards the extemely spicy.
The Dark Chili is not cheap to make, sometimes requiring a trip down to Earth to get the appropriate meat and/or spices. Pots of it are usually saved for special occasions, because they take a while to prepare (usually between 2 and 4 hours, depending on the cook, but it can go longer for larger batches).
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Yes, He's thinking more of "Feasting on Asteroids".
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
The best fish'n'chips in fenspace has got to be Lucky Gorsky's in Port Luna... Excellent Fresh fish, with excellent views of the landing site to boot.

I'm sorry, I just HAVE to get this out of my system right now.

"Hi, I'm Guy Fieri, and we're flying out for a special spacer edition of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!"
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
JFerio Wrote:I'm sorry, I just HAVE to get this out of my system right now.

"Hi, I'm Guy Fieri, and we're flying out for a special spacer edition of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives!"
Oooh. This rocks. Smile
So, where would he go?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Quote:So, where would he go?
Besides everywhere mentioned in this thread and on http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... avel_Guide]this page?
--
Rob Kelk

Here's a question: Is there any sort of food that is exclusively Fenspace? Something that is either imitated elsewhere, or is impossible to duplicate elsewhere?
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
It'd probably be something that could only be done in low or microgravity conditions which would collapse under its own weight on Earth. Like a Soufflé, only even more delicate and airy. Edible smoke's and the like that are so fine you can't even feel yourself eat them. (Though how you'd pick them up with your hand is another thing).

There're also plenty of processes that will behave differently in low gravity, compared to on Earth. Fenspace beer would be noticeably different. "Cold Filtered at 3 Kelvin for the pure crisp taste of Space." And that's not getting into all the weirdnesses like specially grown 'waved space-grains and malts. It depends on what grows where, but if you can get sugars out of it, you can guarantee *someones* tried to make an alcoholic beverage out of it.

How long they lived afterwards is another matter.
Beers would eventually evolve once fen microbrewers start culturing their own yeast. Inevitably someone's going to create new strains, either intentionally or not. The result will be brews that cannot be made on Earth (at least until the yeast is imported -- unlikely given various governments' stands).
-- Bob
---------
Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters. For when you gotta have a hangover right now.

KJ

JFerio Wrote:Certainly, some of the best curry comes from 'Dave Lister's Curry Shack'...
Oooooh...
Bob Schroeck Wrote:For the best blackened California roll in Fenspace, you go to Pablo's Cajun Sushi Bar and Hominy House.
Oh my word...
Ebony Wrote:It may
not be the Best Chili in Fenspace (that's such a subjective thing, in
any case, especially with chili), but the Banzai Institute's Dark Chili
of the Sith is one of the most distinctive...
*starts faintly drooling*
Darnit, I had to come across this thread while I was hungry!  I'm going to have to try that.
Regarding beers in micro or null g, I have to wonder how the traditional ale/lager yeast distinction would work out.  How is a yeast supposed to ferment from the top when there's no top... for that matter, even with lagers, it seems that there'd be issues regarding what happens to the CO2 bubbles... they'd just sorta stick in suspension.  Would almost have to be done with either waved yeast strains or on a rock (or under acceleration)  Leads to another thought though... certain beer styles are renowned on Earth due to the suitability of the local water for those styles... a lot of the water in the British isles being of a hardness suitable for porters and stouts, for instance, while things like pilsners liking a lot purer water.  I wonder what the water from stuff like ice 'roids, or Enceladus or whatever would be suited for.
Quote:for that matter, even with lagers, it seems that there'd be issues regarding what happens to the CO2 bubbles... they'd just sorta stick in suspension.
Not everyone's in zero-G. And those who are, well, right off the bat it seems to me that you could use either a centrifuge or ferment under slight negative pressure.
Quote:certain beer styles are renowned on Earth due to the suitability of the local water for those styles... a lot of the water in the British isles being of a hardness suitable for porters and stouts, for instance, while things like pilsners liking a lot purer water.
Huh. I wonder if that (among other reasons) is why the pilsner I tried to make last month turned out more like a porter, at least according to the Brit who put away more of it than almost anyone elese...
Quote:I wonder what the water from stuff like ice 'roids, or Enceladus or whatever would be suited for.
Bragging rights at the very least...
-- Bob
---------
I specifically asked someone who works in the brewery at James's gate about this, who literally has worked there for 30 years. He shook his head slowly and said "I have no idea,".

So. Anybody have NASA's phone number? I think we just found a justification for the manned space program.
Pages: 1 2