Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: An old sea-bird. Building an idea.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Damn the topic title's bad. This started as an actual old joke at an Eirtakon committee meeting. The convention was looking for a larger venue, and having trouble finding something in-budget... and someone made the joke that we buy some old ship (we'd made a lot of profit from the last con ) and go sailing around the country on an Eirtakruise instead. We laughed then promptly forgot about it, finding a good place a month later.

However, Fenspace struck me as the sort of place were people are doing exactly that... where you can just buy some old hulk, do it up on the quiet and aim for the top to be your very own Starblazer.

Which met the concept of launching a decommissioned Navy ship bought for scrap value.... precisely because nobody'd done it yet.... and it has a certain Space Battleship Yamato cool to it.

Anyway, I've been mucking with this, hoping to avoid an 'Intrepid' moment. It still doesn't feel right and I'm lacking good crew characters but I've been playing with this while poking around the wiki.

Basic concept:

"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we launched that into Space like the Yamato?"

A (former)Navy ship in space, crewed by the Committee of an Irish animé convention, and the members of a University animé society. Ship is big, fast in a straight line... and *is* armed. However, she also drinks a fuel and will only run on diesel oil from Earth, her crew shows a naivete about space at times, and finding ammunition for a 76mm cannon in space is both difficult and expensive.

A basic outline.
Up like a Bird! : Launch into orbit, first meetings with fenspace. Obviously Naive. Shock value of a Navy Ship arriving in orbit : Late 2010 (Complete)
Space truckin' :September 2011. Taking cargo in Tokyo bay. Accidental biomods. Discussion about how they actually make a living (Fast ship running fresh foods from Earth out to Mars and Venus). Satisfaction/dissatisfaction depending on the crewmember. A comment about how everyone was wary and critical of them being armed at first, but now they're specifically chartering the ship because she's armed. Acceleration drive economics. Bringing an annoying girl who think's she's Haruhi to Stellvia, hoping they never hear from her again. Space Pirates. Rumours of weirdness out in the belt.

The Cruel Stars : January 2013 OGJ Duty in the Boskone War. Senshi aboard using Jaguar boats to deploy, checking shipping coming in to the Mars area of space. Based out of Port Phobos. Ciara is, ironically operating in a mirror of her original role, patrolling parts of the belt near trade routes. Meeting convoys, answering the odd distress call. Boskonians feign a distress call (struck a gravitic mine and have lost all power!) to draw her out to the limit of her range. A rather nasty battle is fought, taking heavy damage. Some casualties. Big Damn Gunship moment. An inspirational speech from the Captain reminding them why they came to space in the first place. Good will win by being Good.

The UnCruel Stars : "Late 2013" Ciara repaired and back on patrol. Some new crew. Another distress call, from what turns out to be a Boskone ship that's hit an asteroid. It's answered anyway. Ship is interned and it's crew are arrested. Boskone Captain asks why Ciara rescued him. A talk on the war.... playing the "honourable enemy" card (Like Space Battleship Yamato). The Boskone Captain was just a regular thief trying to make his way, rather than a big bad, and is horrified by some of the things his side has done. He defects and gives information about the Boskonian Convoy he was supposed to guard. The convoy is raided and people are rescued. Emphasis is on Good winning by being Good, rather than evacuating the whole lot to space.

Peacekeepers "Late 2014" : Peacekeeping with OGJ. Boskone Captain has joined the Ciara's crew... technically as a prisoner. A few new crewmembers have joined. Aishia and Mishia were rescued in their last mission, with Aishia being an oddly competent mechanic, and reminds of someone lost to the Boskone in the war. An American computer tech, more Sammies. Investigating and taking down someone running thionite. OGJ troubleshooter aboard (Author Avatar).

Backhauling : Running Freight Again, 2015. An RTE documentary crew aboard interested in ' The Irish people in space'. They look at how far they've come and how they've changed. What Space means to the crew compared to living back on Earth.

And it helps that there used to be a creepy puppet on Irish TV called Bosco.

A little bit of fluff.
Quote:The con was stuck for a venue. We'd hit the fire limit the previous year on our old place, and six months before the con was supposed to be being held, we were still looking for a new one. It seemed as though the con was going to have to be put back for a few months until we found somewhere. That was when someone noticed that, strapped for cash, the Government was decommissioning and selling off the L.E. Ciara.

"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we bought that and launched that into Space like the Yamato?"

Like Space coastal patrol vessel Athacon or something? It was a good joke... a one shot laugh to be quickly forgotten about... but the idea lingered far longer than it had any right to... long after we finally agreed to put the con back to the next February.

As far as Waving stuff was concerned, this country was a bit of a backwater. I knew a guy who'd managed to build himself a rather nice Motorslave out of an old BMW bike, among other things he was a bit too big to fit in, but the average project didn't get much more advanced. A small few had Aimed for the Top of their own accord, usually hitching a ride with someone leaving from the UK or the States. Someone in Derry turned a Humber Pig into a flying Pig, and got arrested for their trouble. While in the UK, even Top Gear got special permission to launch a Reliant Robin like a Space Shuttle. It seemed however, that space was one place the Irish Diaspora didn't seem to want to go.

That changed when the Dragonslayers built the Q-ship... out of an old twin-engined DeHavilland...then went for orbit. We had to beat them. The thing is, old planes came in two varieties, either pretty expensive, and pretty much toasted. But an old ship? That was the moment someone remembered the Athacruise joke. We decided... we would go to space. On a space ship.

A month later, on the con website it was announced; The con that year was canceled. Not announced was that we'd bought the ship, nor what we intended to do with it. We scrounged for cash, pillaging our own savings, university funding for foreign society trips, and some cash from a disgraced banker who just wanted to get off the planet before his creditors and the law could catch up. He couldn't leave the country, he couldn't make it on his own, so he turned to us. Money was money, and we were going to need a lot of it to get this thing going..

She took about six months to refit. We rebuilt her diesel engines using Space Battleship Yamato-fed handwavium, throwing in a little bit of Arcadia and Nadia for good measure. We were moving an actual ocean-going ship after all. That was the easy bit, we got some nice big thrusters out the stern for our troubles and had the engines running reasonably after about two months. The hard part was everything else.....we tried to leave the handwavium in the engine room only.

While she still had her guns physically present thanks to a clerical error... most of her electronic suites and all her ammunition had been removed. We thought about just Waving the lot... but the can of stuff we'd started with came with explicit warnings not to use it on weapons... so we rebuilt everything from the Radar down using hardtech only. Just about every electronic and electric system is made from traditional off-the-shelf or out-of-the-skip parts. Hatches were replaced with crude airlocks, her watertight compartments were made airtight and a basic 'Waved life support system was fitted and isolated from just about everything else so nothing could screw with it, or vice-versa. The internet said life-critical things just didn't fail... but who believes the internet? Besides, the last thing we wanted when we got up there was for the Radar to glitch out and for us to leave a boat-shaped hole in somebody's space-station because we didn't see it. That'd be a wonderful way to make a first impression.

Originally we weren't going to bother, but after a journalist who'd lifted an Alaskan crabber suggested we do it, we Waved her hull. We mixed some of the stuff in with a fresh coat of paint. Made her look all nice and shiny and professional...Ship-shape in Naval fashion inside and out. We didn't dare change her name... that was bad luck after all. We even cleaned up the Roadrunner art on her funnel. It was about this time that we started to notice the first of her little oddities... how the ship always seemed to be perfectly clean, or the weird things the Irish flag did when someone took it down... and the Road Runner foghorn that attracted any dogs within a ten-mile radius.

The last thing we did was to Wave her two Jaguar boats, giving them a sort of miniature form of the same kind of engine... and the personalities of little kittens.

On October 16th, 2010, we took off on our first shakedown cruise. We sailed out into the Atlantic, far enough out that nobody could watch us, and really put her to the test. We took off, took her slowly up to about airliner altitude.... just to make sure that we we could hold an atmosphere well enough that our heads wouldn't explode in space. Aside from a few leaking seals around the windows and doors, we found nothing seriously wrong. The engines ran sweetly, she handled slow but with gracefully.

We 'landed' the boat... startling some Spanish fishermen, before sailing back under conventional power to an inlet near a small town I knew. No lynch mob to greet us, no army chopper thumping overhead... just a pub I liked and had insisted we visit. Naturally, we celebrated like drunken loons far longer than the bar's owners would've liked.

A few weeks later, fully stocked up with provisions and fuel, we launched for real.

We didn't know where it would take us.

-Con Director/Captain Garret

A bit non-committal and a bit rattly. And like a typical engineer, I built the ship before I thought about the people who are going to use it.

Technical stuff based on information from: http://www.military.ie/naval/flotilla/p42/ciara.htm.
A pair of 14400bhp engines in something this small seems a bit odd.... either there's an extra zero in there, or each engine is 7200bhp, for 14400 total. But I'll go with it because hey... it's cool, and I like the concept of something this size being mostly engine.
Quote:Name: SS Ciara.

Type : (Former)Costal Patrol Vessel

Commissioned: 03/05/1985
Decommissioned: 02/04/2010
Converted: mid-2010
Re-Launched: 16/10/2010
Launch to orbit: 04/11/2010

Ownership: Athacon Committee/UDC MAS/Mr K.
Faction: None yet but themselves.
Flag of Record: Republic of Ireland, Earth.
Purpose: "Get up to space"

Maximum Complement: 22
Length (meters) 62.6
Beam (meters)10
Draught (meters) 2.9
Displacement: 712 Tonnes

Engines: 2 x Crossley 14400 hp SEMT - Pielstick Diesels driving main Wave Motion drive thrusters.
Cruising speed(water: 17 Knots
Cruising speed (Space) 0.06C
Top Speed (water): 25 Knots, 30 Knots dash speed.
Top Speed (Space): .10.C :: 0.125C (Dash speed for up to about 2 hours. Burns fuel ten times faster, may run out)
Range: 6-7AU can be achieved reliably with an acceptable margin of error.
(Enough to get to Mars and back reliably, and to parts of the main belt depending on relative positions of the planets.)
Fuel: 30,000 Litres Marine Diesel.

Comm's (Pre OGJ).
e-mail: Captain@roadrunner.fen.
charter@roadrunner.fen for commercial traffic.
Maritime VHF and EU Civil Band
PMR-446 for Intra-ship.

Crew:
Bridge
Captain: Sam Garret. Con-director for Athakon. Degree in European Business. Fan of Space Battleship Yamato, Galactica and lately, Durarara. Came up because he loved Starblazers.
XO: Anne 'CutieKitty' Devlin. Chairperson of the Manga society. Degree in Media Technology. Fan of Azumanga Daioh, Firefly and.... Came up to get away from the doom and gloom 'recession'.
Chief Mate: Susan Mullholland. Manga society and Athacon treasurer. Partway through a degree in European Business. Also ship's effective cook. Sailor moon fan. Wants to be a Senshi.
Pilot: Sam Crean. Manga Society member. 3rd year Digital Communications degree. Macross fan. Always wanted to be a space pilot.
Comms/Navigation: Megan Fitzpatrick: Fianceé of Sam Garret. Final year International business. Not an animé fan, but partial to....

Engineering
Chief Engineer: Seán McKenna. Manga society member. Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Star Trek fan, with added Gundam and Outlaw Star. Came up to be Scotty.
Second Engineer: Orla Tubridy. Athacon PRO. Degree in Electronic Engineering. Nadesico fan... Came up because of the economy... to try something new.
Computer Engineer: Micheal 'Sed' Donnelly. Athacon Trade Liason. Linux Nerd, loves Lain and Ritsuko Akagi. Curious about 'waved computers, but doesn't dare trust his life to one.
Engineering Technician: Peadar Farrel. 2nd year Medical Mechanical Engineering. Loves Star Trek, Babylon 5... just about anything. Not an animé fan.
Engineering Technician: Tom 'Touji' Carrol. Manga Society First Year Liason. 1st Year Manufacturing Process Engineering. Rabid Evangelion fan... or rabid Rei fan.

Finance:
CFO: Patrick C. Kearney. Former CEO of National Allied Bank. Under investigation for fraud. Financed launch, and joined crew to escape national jurisdiction, at the suggestion of a mysterious phonecall.

Deck department:
4 Crew to be added.

Senshi squad: (OGJ: From 2012 onwardSmile
6 Senshi TBA. Japanese name meaning 'Red Shirt'?

Future Crew:
"Aisha"... Catgirl Victim rescued from Boskonians. Shows a talent for mechanics. Takes over as Second Engineer. From 2013 onwards.
"Misha"...Catgirl Victim rescued from Boskonians. Stays aboard with companion Aisha as a Junior deckhand. From 2013 onwards.
Paul 'Savage Eye' Platowski... Boskonian defector. From 2013 onwards.
Milly Jackson. American computer science student and fan of Asimov. Computer technician From 2013 onwards.
Micheal Perry. Australian fan of Battlestar Galactica. Chief Mate from 2013 onwards.

...more to be added.

Shuttlecraft:
2x "Jaguar" Rigid hulled Inflated Boats, named Luna and Artemis.

Quirks:

In the Navy now: As a (former) Naval vessel, the Ciara holds herself and her crew to a higher standard, expecting a little professionalism from those aboard her. The ship will generally keep herself clean and tidy, cleaning up rust, paintwork, dust and spills on her own. However, she will only do this so long as the crew meet her standards. This requires a functioning chain of command including a Captain, XO, Chief Engineer and a Chief Mate aswell as some form of uniform for the crew. Clean con staff t-shirts with some form of rank isnignia seem to suffice. Passengers are exempt.

The National Colour: The ship will always fly the Irish Tricolour from her mast. If it is taken down, a new one will take its place. If another flag is placed on a higher part of the ship than it, the Tricolour will move to a higher position.

Dinosaur burner: Her engines will only run reliably on diesel oil from Earth. It can be shipped anywhere in space, but it has to come from Earth. Coupled with high fuel consumption if she wants to do anything fast, this limits her range a great deal and ties her either to Earth, or a station where her crew can store fuel.

‘Defense' Forces: The Irish military are a defensive force only. In her previous life, the Ciara's purpose was to patrol costal waters intercepting drug runners, smugglers along with search and rescue duties. The ship 'dislikes' taking offensive actions... systems may malfunction or operate at a noticeably reduced efficiency if she's used in an offensive manner. (e.g. attacking an enemy base/ship without provocation)

Space is an Ocean: Even in space, the ship still behaves like she is floating on an ocean with a light swell. Not uncomfortable, but noticeable. May aggrevate seasickness in some passengers, but the crew are used to it. Also produces a drag on the hull that increases with speed, similar to water, requiring her engines to be run constantly.

Roadrunner: Her foghorn will always make a loud 'Meep-Meep', which will attract nearby dogs and especially Coyotes.

Schroedingers bugs: A phenomenon first noticed in computers at least as far back as the 70's. The ship's computers and electronics work... so long as nobody notices that they aren't supposed to work. It doesn't matter how this realisation is made, once it happens the program involved immediately crashes and refuses to work correctly until the problem is fixed. Thank God for Open Source.

---------------

The Jaguars

A pair of small Rigid-hulled Inflatable Boats carried aboard the Ciara named Luna and Artemis, their engines have been waved and modified in a similar manner to their mothership. Fast and maneouverable, on the surface they were often used to chase drug smugglers at high speed. They lack an enclosed cabin or life support system, but are light, fast and can turn and stop on a penny while carrying ten passengers and one pilot. Each Jaguar is more than capable of keeping up with the mothership. A higher 'Wavium content per kilo compared with the mothership has caused the Jaguars to start behaving like little kittens seeing Ciara as their mother cat.

Quirks

Mommy!: With a mindset like a young kitten, they don't like being seperated from their mother. If the pilot doesn't pay enough attention they try to wander back. If kept away for too long they start to sulk and get depressive. This has the slight benefit that if the crew aboard are incapacitated, Luna and Artemis will naturally find their way home.

Shiny!: Like above... if the pilot doesn't pay enough attention, they will wander towards any nearby lightsource.

Mouse!: Anything else small and fast *will* be chased down, unless the pilot grabs a hold.

Catnip!: When given catnip... usually via the fuel tanks, the Jaguars are noticeably 'happier' in a way nobody can quite explain.

Still not weaned: The kittens are still nursing from their mother. They can only be refueled using diesel oil from the Ciara's onboard stores. Anything else will be refused messily and violently.

---------------

I've put a bit of thought into the crew... I'll probably base them for the most part on Genshiken, rather than the actual Eirtakon committee.

The machinery is easy, the people who have to use it is hard. If I get their reason for coming along down, I might have the start of some good characters. That, and I have to change the names 'Eirtakon' and DCU AMS... but they'll hold places for now.

So, is there hope?

Oh and btw, Eirtaku is a portmanteau of Eire and Otaku... and was the name of the now shuttered website which originated Eirtakon.

(As an aside... I wouldn't go up to fenspace myself. As much as space is cool, I don't like flying. I'd have far more fun trying to build my own version of a motorslave and hardsuit... or similar and probably found my own Knight Sabers. )

Let me put it this way: I've seen quite a few "first posts" by folks who wanted to join in the fun here (including my own), but I've never seen one that showed the poster actually understood Fenspace... until I saw yours.

There's hope. Welcome to the madhouse!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
What Rob said. I was pretty bad myself, but I had the benefit of being a 'charter member'. Wink

Have fun and don't forget to feed the animals.
Chiming in here with the others -- Dartz, that's a great start.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Alright well, I'll give this a go over the next couple of days. I'm going to try and write it up until the point where they first make orbit, and somebody tries to radio them. I'm not sure who yet. They're date of actual departure is going to be November 4th, 2010, unless anybody has any objections to this.

I've also changed the con name to Athacon (From Baile Atha Cliath as the Irish name for Dublin city), and rearranged the name of the animé society.
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
So, I've got something done for this here on google docs A little rough and could do with some cleaning up, I'm not used to handling my own characters rather than a fanfic's among other things. It's about 20 pages long, and follows them from the dock, until they hit orbit and 'somebody' hails them.

I'm not sure who yet... Anybody interested in hailing what appears at first glance to be a Navy patrol ship?

Date they launch is 04/11/2010.
Rob Kelk

Pinafore might hail, but at that point it's just Captain Corcoran, the AIs, and whatever paying passenger he might have, since he doesn't get his human/biomodded crew until just before the SOS-Con.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Benjamin and Gina might pop by and give them a welcome, but as in Captain Corcoran's case it's just him, his AI, and the car. He will give them a military discount on parcel shipments, though. Especially care packages from home.
Right...

I've never actually done a collaborative writing project before... how do these normally work. Do we each write our halves of the conversation and actions, or is it one and approve?

And they're not actually Navy... they just appear to be military at first glance.

Although, I think their reaction to Pinafore pulling would be something like "We shoulda bought a bigger boat,"
---------
Dartz Wrote:I've never actually done a collaborative writing project before... how do these normally work. Do we each write our halves of the conversation and actions, or is it one and approve?
"One and approve", usually. We've got http://drunkardswalkforums.yuku.com/topic/1696]a sticky-thread with contact info.

And since there are so many other volunteers, I'll back away. (No need for me to be involved in every story, after all...)
--
Rob Kelk

Alright... well, since I'm writing it as a google doc, rather than on my harddrive, that makes life a little easier. A quick radio exchange with the Pinafore, if only to induce a little envy in the crew as the gleaming white yacht pulls alongside. They'll probably end up swinging by Stellvia anyway, to pick up their first passengers, trade food and supplies, and maybe find someone who might be able to fill their diesel tanks in orbit. I'll end it when they dock, and get met with a biomod at the airlock.

Maybe when I've got a story about them, and got an idea of their characters, I'll add them to the wiki.

Next part will jump to 2011, they're in Tokyo, picking up a charter, some fuel and running dockside tours of the ship for the locals because it's a good moneyspinner. A very annoying girl who insists everyone call her Haruhi hitches a ride to Stellvia....

Unless anyone has any other idea of how Haruhi got to orbit, or it's a secret of fenspace not told to newcomers. I'd like to have a bit of a brick-joke with that.

Best advice for Captain Corcoran is to play up the Tourist guide aspect, while having a good laugh at the musical Yankee trying to sound posh and British, with perhaps a bit of "I know that word's supposed to be English... but damn, is it LONG!" If you have Corcoran aboard due to docking, etc., he will be very precise and as properly deferential as Hollywood Naval Warfare movies will allow.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Quote:They'll probably end up swinging by Stellvia anyway, to pick up their first passengers, trade food and supplies, and maybe find someone who might be able to fill their diesel tanks in orbit.
The Venus Terraforming Project not yet having begun cracking hydrocarbons, Stellvia is still getting its diesel fuel from Earth in 2010. You should be all right there, although you'll drain the supply on hand...

Quote:I'll end it when they dock, and get met with a biomod at the airlock.
In 2010, that would be Kelly (the bunnygirl who becomes the Hotel Stellvia's majordomo in 2011) - she's the only biomod on-station at that time.

Quote:Unless anyone has any other idea of how Haruhi got to orbit, or it's a secret of fenspace not told to newcomers. I'd like to have a bit of a brick-joke with that.
Feel free!
--
Rob Kelk

Right... I think it's done. I just need to hear back from Foxboy about Captain Corcoran... I tried to get his voice right, and keep the conversation short, assuming he was in a hurry with his passengers. He tells them a little about Stellvia and The Island, and asks what they're doing in a military ship. Hopefully I got him right.. If you want to edit anything, I can share the document with you.

Stellvia, well... somebody shows up armed in orbit, they take an interest and see just who they are. And I thought I'd have some fun with the Athacrew's newbieness and Kelly.

If nobody objects to anything they do, I'll add them and their ship to the wiki soon.

One little thing, I'm trying to keep them as ordinary fen, whose only distinction is what they launched into orbit aboard, and it's a distinction that fades very quickly. And comes back to bite them in the ass later.

Also, the one holding the camera is my author avatar, whether anything becomes of that I don't know. Though he's the sort of guy who'll pour the leftovers of a handwavium strain capable of making a Knight Saber hardsuit, into an empty Guinness bottle nearby that he's just emptied, and leave it where it could be mistaken from an actual Guinness bottle.

-- James Nicoll
Quote:Stellvia, well... somebody shows up armed in orbit, they take an interest and see just who they are.

Yes, they would. And you did a better job of writing their interest than I would have, if I were to write the scene.

Quote:And I thought I'd have some fun with the Athacrew's newbieness and Kelly.

If I may offer a suggestion...

“Are those things real?”

The bunnygirl’s ears straightened as she scowled. Newbies...

“Yes. And so are the ears and tail. And it’s impolite to stare at the biomods.”

(Part of the stereotypical bunnygirl biomod is an minimum level of physical attractiveness; one can thank the Playboy Bunnies for that. In Kelly's case, that meant a three-inch increase in bust size...)

Edit: Oh, yes... this doesn't need to go into the story, but should be noted for background.

Fen are open about sharing navigational data - for many people, the only thing worse than being marooned in space because you thought your destination was closer than it actually is and your fuel ran out, is to be responsible for somebody else being marooned because they thought their destination was closer than it actually was and their fuel ran out. Charts are electronic and available for free at all major ports of call, including Kandor City, Stellvia, The Island, and Port Phobos. You'll be asked which celestial-simulation software your navigation computer uses; if you don't have such software, freeware will be provided. (If you don't have a computer at all, an old PalmPilot with navigation software pre-installed will be given to you courtesy of Stellvia Trading, while supplies last.) Along with the software, you'll also be given a recommendation to update the software quarterly at minimum; new stations and settlements are founded relatively often.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Edit: Oh, yes... this doesn't need to go into the story, but should be noted for background.

Fen are open about sharing navigational data - for many people, the only thing worse than being marooned in space because you thought your destination was closer than it actually is and your fuel ran out, is to be responsible for somebody else being marooned because they thought their destination was closer than it actually was and their fuel ran out. Charts are electronic and available for free at all major ports of call, including Kandor City, Stellvia, The Island, and Port Phobos. You'll be asked which celestial-simulation software your navigation computer uses; if you don't have such software, freeware will be provided. (If you don't have a computer at all, an old PalmPilot with navigation software pre-installed will be given to you courtesy of Stellvia Trading, while supplies last.) Along with the software, you'll also be given a recommendation to update the software quarterly at minimum; new stations and settlements are founded relatively often.
Updates are also ferried to outlying settlements and ports of call by the various shipping services such as Jupiter Mining Corporation, as a part of their regular runs, where they will be reconciled with additional data at those settlements, and then brought back to the core areas for the process to be repeated.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Quote:Updates are also ferried to outlying settlements and ports of call by the various shipping services such as Jupiter Mining Corporation
And the Vitamin Man, one of the few non-nutritional items he/they carry.
-- Bob
---------
For some reason, I'm reminded of something like a space-DNS. Updates and propagate automatically through the network as ship's radio each other. Though that'd be too easy for a Boskonian to spoof.

Also. Wiki'd . Now to do the actual ship itself.
The main reason for hand delivering nav updates in the early days wasn't security. It was the fact that Interwave transceivers were both large and a bit too expensive for most fen. While the 2015 versions can easily be bought by (and mounted on) the larger SS class ships, the pioneers couldn't spare the solcreds to buy or the space to fit one. Most of these people were at least several light-seconds from each other, and main net nodes could be light-minutes away. Relay was easier and reliable (given that established stations would have both the Interwave access and the processing power to do comparisons).
Never, EVER underestimate the bandwidth of a 'waved station wagon filled with thumbdrives. Smile
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
JFerio Wrote:Never, EVER underestimate the bandwidth of a 'waved station wagon filled with thumbdrives. Smile
Yep. Sneakernet is sometimes the most efficient way to move data...
--
Rob Kelk

Pages: 1 2