Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [META] Advertising?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No, not ads on the wiki or anything like that, this is about advertising us.

Discussion came up on IRC about how Fenspace was received in places like SpaceBattles. I had to admit that, well... it isn't. I've got a link to the wiki in my sig on a couple different forums, but I don't actively promote. And to be honest, I don't have the highest of reps on SB.

So, I'm going to put the question to you. Should we actively promote Fenspace in hopes of drumming up some interest and new blood? And if so, who, where and how do we do it?
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
I don't think it would hurt to promote Fenspace a bit, and SpaceBattles sounds like a good venue. Beyond that, I'm not too sure.

And if you've not got a good rep on SB, I'm sure there's someone else here who might be willing to carry the flag for us.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Whenever it's appropriate, I mention Gernsback-2 over on the SJGames GURPS forum and provide a link back to the FenWiki. It seems to be working at least slightly...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I mentioned it around a few places, though activity can be a bit low in most of them, there're a few people who might be interested. I tend to hide in the dark nooks and crannys of the web.
I guess I should note that I put a mention of it on the Unclassified Fanfic Recommendations page, and there's a link to Rob's story archive on the Fen page (added by someone called "Malefix" about 2 months ago). Maybe a few more links there, in appropriate places, too.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:Someone could always post a flag over on EPU's Boards. Though I don't know how Gryphon will take to that - we all know how teritorial he can be at times.

I take it as read that any self-promotion on the EPU board is automatically a bad thing. I don't think I've ever seen Gryph take other people promoting other stories well.

Quote:I guess I should note that I put a mention of it on the Unclassified Fanfic Recommendations page, and there's a link to Rob's story archive on the Fen page (added by someone called "Malefix" about 2 months ago). Maybe a few more links there, in appropriate places, too.

... you know, that brings up an interesting question: Why *doesn't* Fenspace have a full TVTropes page? Xenu knows that we've got enough tropers running around here to justify a Troper Works listing at the very least.

Anyway.

As for "how," I've been thinking about it. For something like a fiction comm like SB, the best bet is probably to post stories. It could be stuff that's already finished or stuff that's in progress, but to get the attention of people who read fanfic it'd be a good idea to post fic.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:... and there's a link to Rob's story archive on the Fen page (added by someone called "Malefix" about 2 months ago).
Thanks for the heads-up - I just edited that page to point to the FenWiki.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:... you know, that brings up an interesting question: Why *doesn't* Fenspace have a full TVTropes page? Xenu knows that we've got enough tropers running around here to justify a Troper Works listing at the very least.
And we do have that TVTropes thread going on right now, which gives us the basis of a characters page. I think this is a good idea... does anyone want to try their hand at coming up with a master entry page before I decide to try and shoehorn the task into my schedule?
Quote:As for "how," I've been thinking about it. For something like a fiction comm like SB, the best bet is probably to post stories. It could be stuff that's already finished or stuff that's in progress, but to get the attention of people who read fanfic it'd be a good idea to post fic.
You certainly have my permission to post "Tell Your Children When" -- and I grant permission to do so for my parts of collaborative stories.
-- Bob
---------
Quote:and I grant permission to do so for my parts of collaborative stories
Likewise, as long as no money changes hands. (Just the collaborations for now; I'll let you know which sole-source stories of mine are okay to share later.)
--
Rob Kelk

Ditto
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Same here! (^_^)
Probably would be a good idea to put an appropriate Creative Commons license on everything, now that I think of it.
-- Bob
---------
Easy enough to do on my end... do we want a share-alike or a no-derivatives CC license?

EDIT: As a placeholder I've put up the same CC Attribution-No Commercial license that Rob released Legend of Galactic Girls under. If we want to change that to something else, let me know and I'll shift it.

nope. sounds right to me...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I hate share-alike - it's somehow wrong IMHO to impose my terms on someone else. (If I want that much control over my work, I'll keep the copyright.) I picked Attribution-No Commercial because it's the licence I'm most comfortable with.
--
Rob Kelk