Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: Making wakes in a no wake zone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I noticed Dartz story post over on spacebattles and followed the included link to the wiki. Which led me here I've since been working on afew ideas. This is one of them, it is sort of rambling becouse I started with just the base vehicle and worked my way from there. I'd like to thank KaiserDrgn for helping me on the IRC with spelling as well as the other folks for leting me bounce some ideas off of.
I need to rewrite it down to the final product of the 'wavium treatment and use the building steps in the story. Still working on the character that goes with this craft I'll post that later.

The Shooting Star started life as a Modern Chris Craft 28' Cabin Cruiser. It
retains it's single forward cabin as the living place and the front
docking port based on the original bow deck hatch that's located above
the bed. A door at the rear comes out between the captains chair and
passenger chair. The chairs are raised with their own built in foot
rest/step. Behind them the stern seats have been removed for cargo space
while the whole area has been turned into a enclosed cabin using
paneling from a trailer. Former car windows have been added to the front
of the new cabin next to the chairs for added visibility.
A pair of pontoons from a old pontoon boat have been added to the sides
as outriggers to counter the added weight on the upper works. These
pontoons had their middle section removed to shorten them down. The
pylons holding the pontoons are a pair of 14' aluminum john boats turned
upside down with the stern section cut off. This ends up giving them
what looks almost like a bulky wing shape with the pontoons looking like
drop tanks when in flight. The stern sections from the john boats were
themselves cut up and used to serve as reinforcements on different parts
of the boat.
The Ship is fitted out with a old CB radio hooked up to a salvaged whip
antenna that is mounted on the upper most top of the ship. An old
desktop has also been taped to one wall below the Captain's chair with a
flat screen monitor mounted between the seats just above the cabin door
to the living area. The old stereo speaks that use to go to a sound system that was
long gone where wired into the computer. The whole thing is held together
by 'wavium imbued duct tape and all the paint based 'wavium Dakota could make.
The everything, inside and out, has been painted white using 'wavium paint,
with the name "Shooting Star" painted in black on the bow and stern.
With a shark tooth grin painted on the lower part of the bow. The
changes wrought by the 'wavium have made the whole ship look sleeker,
and the outriggers are retractable for hard surface landing by acting as
the landing skids when retracted. The engine having been coated in
'wavium has turned into a hydrogen powered anti-gravity drive. This
drive also creates the gravity field for the boat, including the bow
deck space, letting someone walk around normally inside and topside of
the boat.

The computer is now a fixed part of the ship while it's expanded beyond a normal
computer. It hasn't shown any signs of a AI thou people swear that the running lights
have winked at them when refueling or doing other maintence on the ship.
The monitor has expanded across the front of the Captain's console and
displys info on the ship status and works as a touch screen.
The Old CB has turn into a full coms unit intergrated into the computer
and sound system that also formed from the stereo speaks on the boat.
The ship does have a directional shield system that doubles as a heat shield.
This system throws up a semi-domed field of energy in the path of a attack to intercept it.
It can only have one up at a time and attacks from different directions can overload it.
This also means the ship is open to attack while it's being used as a heat shield.
The pontoons are now the main storage tanks for the water and oxygen systems.

quirks:

"Safety first!": There always has to be a life vest for everyone on board the ship or the ship will refuse to move when in port. Theres two on board in one of the under seat storage in the living area cabin.

"The gentle sea": The boat rocks gentle like it's on the water when at a stop and not on a solid surface. This doesn't seem to effect any airlock connections to the boat.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat": ... somehow there's never enough storage space on board for everything needed. It always ends up in the way or tripped over.

"Don't show the shark" Playing the jaws theme while inside the boat causes the boat to become somehow harder to spot. When the music stops the boat appears to be a badly made out of focus boat model at a distence for three minutes.
Hey, Dakota, welcome to the forums, and to Fenspace in particular! I trust you'll find us a reasonably hospitable bunch.

Love the quirks on Shooting Star -- especially "Safety first!" and "Don't show the shark."
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Howdy there! Welcome to the neighborhood. (^_^)
If you and your ship is ever in trouble in the vicinity of the Astroid Belt (the "get my gun" sort) feel free to hail a Roughrider - they'll be the nice folks in the honkin' huge B-36 Peacemaker and a few flights of Fezigs docked to the wings and hull.
Hello and welcome!

If your crew is looking for something a bit safer, we'd love to have you visit http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Stellvia]Stellvia. Stop by at Meg's and buy some cookies to take home...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Indeed. If perhaps, perilous occurrences inconvenience your crew at not inconsiderable distance from a more stationary source of medical assistance, feel free to enact communications with the Starship Pinafore. They will make all due haste to expedite your assistance. Though we do hope that you enjoy kosher chicken soup...
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Name: Ken "Dakota" Olds

Sex: Male

Eyes: catlike bluish grey

Height: 5'11"

Hair: Dark bluish grey, drawn back in a ponytail.

Desc: Formaly human anthro mako shark do to accidental biomod from 'wavium paint fumes. His head has been drawn out into a shark like snout from the bridge of the nose down. It has a pair opening along the top edge like that of a lizard for breathing. The eyes have shifted back some along the head with the bridge of his nose expanding wider. Reducing his depth perception in exchange for increased peripheral vision. He can still see straight ahead just fine, but has to turn his head in order to keep the depth perception on a target as it is now a highly tight cone straight in front of his head. The top of his head has streamlined itself down with him losing his forehead. While this has caused his brain to shrink to fit the new space it hasn't effected his mind at all.

His ears have turned into a pair of fins going almost straight back to a tapering point. Both have a notch missing mid way down the lenght just before it starts to really taper. This all sits on a more human like neck. The rest of his body is rather human like if skinny like he's built for speed. His skin is rough and thick like that of a shark while having rather normal human hands and feet. A very shark like tail has sprouted from where his tail bone use to be. It's rather thin and tapers quickly down into the caudal fin typical of sharks. This tail is rather flexable. He is diet has stayed the same from before the change thou he has trouble chewing some types of food. He can and does keep his jaw competely closed unless he's eating or talking, grining is right out.

His prefered clothing is baggy cargo pants/shorts and a loose t-shirt. He also tends to wear a hawaiian type button up shirt over the t-shirt unbuttoned. Shoe wise he tends to wear strap type sandles and black work type boots when called for.

His biomod was a result from him slipping and knocking himself out while upseting a can of 'wavium paint that hadn't been closed quite right when checking the changes on the Shooting Star. He probably shouldn't have fed the paint 'wavium on boat and sea magazines.

Skills

Gamer: Dakota has been a gamer most of his life and has taken to flying the Shooting Star rather quickly because of this.

Artist: He's been drawing about as long as he's been gaming. Only minor art and vehicle designs.

Quirks

I'm not a ork: Being a shark morph his teeth tend to fall out to be replaced by new ones. The old ones shed the outer layer and turn as hard as steel. This doesn't effect his back teeth

Bubblegum: Smells of bubblegum, this gets stronger the longer he's been without a shower.

Java powered: Needs atlest a cup of coffee in the norming in order to function at his fullest. Is grumpy and sleepy until he has a cup.

KaiserDrgn

No one give the landshark Klatchian Coffee. I can see that ending in tears.
Heres my try at cleaning up the boat desc
Name: Shooting Star

Base Hull: Chris Craft 28' Cabin Cruiser, year unknown, single forward cabin design.

Drive Type: Reactionless Gravity Drive powered by Hydrogen. The drive also generates a 1g gravity field for the inside of the boat.

Max Speed: 0.12c with sprints up to 0.15c / 300c beyond the limit

Armaments: None currently.

Defensive systems: Directional Deflector Shield, creates a very shallow bowl of energy in the path of a attack. Only one can be active at a time, also doubles as the heat shield.

Current Owner: Ken "Dakota" Olds

Home Port: NA

Crew:

Ken "Dakota" Olds (Owner Capt.)

Quirks:

"Safety first!": There always has to be a life vest for everyone on board the ship or the ship will refuse to move when in port. Theres two on board in one of the under seat storage in the living area cabin.

"The gentle sea": The boat rocks gentle like it's on the water when at a stop and not on a solid surface. This doesn't seem to effect any airlock connections to the boat.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat": ... somehow there's never enough storage space on board for everything needed. It always ends up in the way or tripped over.

"Don't show the shark" Playing the jaws theme while inside the boat causes the boat to become somehow harder to spot. When the music stops the boat appears to be a badly made out of focus boat model at a distence for three minutes.

Notes:

She has one cabin forward as part of her orignal single cabin design that is currently the living space onboard. The stern has been inclosed in the paneling from a trailer to seal it against space since this area contains the ships controls. Doors from the trailer have been used as the stern docking port. While the forward docking port is just a modifed hatch in the bow deck leading to the forward cabin via the ceiling. A third door splits the stern from the cabin and is part of the orginal boat design. This is located between the Captain's and Navagator's chairs. Extra windows where added to the 'bridge' area to improve visibility to the sides.

The ship's controls are setup similer to that of a plane with a control yoke and rudder peddles. The throttle control has remained the same. A former flat screen is now a full blown interactive holographic display and hud. There is a old CB that is now a full blown com system is located just over the door to the forward cabin. This puts it in easy reach of ether seat. A desktop that has become one with the ship below the captain's chair acts as the central computer. This however hasn't shown any signs of becoming a AI yet.

The living area contains a single bed, small foldout stove, a foldout sonic shower, sink, toilet, and mini-fridge. The bed can be flipped up to gain access to a storage space under it.

The ship is painted almost competely white with the only color being the name on the stern and the shark tooth grin on the bow. A pair of shorted pontoons are attached to ether side of the hull and serve as water/oxygen tanks for the Shooting Star. The hydrogen she needs to run is split straight from the water carried in the tanks with the oxygen is stored in the tanks for the life support systems. A retractable tri-skid system lets her land on hard surfaces when there isn't a deep enough body of water to use. She also retains her running lights from her life as a water going boat these are almost always on.
This is what I had planned Dakota's biomod to be. This was based of a Champions online character of mine who had ended up the victim of mad science. I've not decided which one I want to roll with.
Name: Ken "Dakota" Olds

Sex: Male

Eyes: Golden with catlike slits

Height: 6'11"

Hair: Bright golden and drawn back into a short ponytail.

Desc: Formaly human, anthro blend of Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my! *cough* sorry. The result of feeding the last batch of 'wavium paint a copy of the Wizard of Oz. Well built body with a overlain layer of body fat that's just enough to hide most of his muscle definition with the fur doing the rest. His head is a blend of bear and feline with comically over long and sized whiskers. His fur is a dark brown with golden tiger stripes starting at his shoulder blades and tapering off at the base of his tail. His tail is that of a lions but matching his fur coloring cept for the tuff at the end which matchs his head hair and stripes. His claws on his hands and feet are semi-retractable and kept blunt with a file. He can not use most mundane firearms do to his fingers being shorter and fatter then a human's.

His prefered clothing is baggy cargo pants/shorts and a loose t-shirt. He also tends to wear a hawaiian type button up shirt over the t-shirt unbuttoned. Shoe wise he tends to wear strap type sandles and black work type boots when called for.

His biomod was a result from him slipping and knocking himself out while upseting a can of 'wavium paint that hadn't been closed quite right when working on his boat. He probably shouldn't have fed that last can of 'wavium the Wizard of Oz to stretch his supplies.

Skills

Gamer: Dakota has been a gamer most of his life and has taken to flying the Shooting Star rather quickly because of this.

Artist: He's been drawing about as long as he's been gaming. Only minor art and vehicle designs.

Quirks

Hibernation is for the weak Is slow, sleepy, and blurry eyed after waking up until he gets a cup of coffee or something with caffeine in it. This also makes him prone to falling sleep if he's gone a long while without something with caffeine in it.

Honey Scented He smells faintly of honey.

Feline Fu Can cram himself into rather tight spaces and is rather flexable. Geting back out of tight spaces under his own power is a whole another issue.

Emerald? What Emerald? Is color blind to the color known as emerald, other colors that fall under green tend to be washed out to him.
Dakota Wrote:Feline Fu Can cram himself into rather tight spaces and is rather flexable. Geting back out of tight spaces under his own power is a whole another issue.
Oh, that sounds like a fun quirk... (By "fun", I mean "useful for storytelling purposes".) I like...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:

Quote:Dakota wrote:

Feline Fu Can cram himself into rather tight spaces and is rather flexable. Geting back out of tight spaces under his own power is a whole another issue.
Oh, that sounds like a fun quirk... (By "fun", I mean "useful for storytelling purposes".) I like...
I'm going to roll with the shark verson, but giving him this quirk.
You could always make a second character with the feline/bear hybrid form.
April 2012 - Begins prep work on the Shooting Star.
July 2012 - Completes the Shooting Star. Accidentally biomods himself, making a hasty launch without any supplies. Suffers damage on the way up do to missile attacks from USAF fighters.
Dec/Jan 2012-13 - Pays off his debts, but continues making earth to orbit / lunar tourist runs as a Indy. Continues this through 2013 and into early 2014.
Classified 2013 - *Does side work moving a Spec-ops group around during the Bosk war. Questions are not asked, answers are not given, and continued inquires will be shot.
Unknown early-to-late 2014 - Builds and launches the prototype of the **Superhawk class in Australia. Is attacked on the first test flight by a environmental group in 'waved cars for being one of the despoilers of space in international airspace over the ocean. Manages to limp back to Aussie airspace. The blueprints are open sourced out to fen space.

*Working on a story about this, the ops group will remain unnamed. Nor will I really cover things from their view point as I want to leave that up to others.
**I'm still flushing out the details on that ship, it's meant to be a cargo/ferry ship for the earth to mars.  Based design wise off the thunderhawk from 40k fame, with no dakka and larger. Hull made from cut up ISO standard containers. The design was built on the cheap using surplus and salvaged gear to keep the price down since Dakota doesn't have a lot of money.
Space over the Ocean? What, like Star Shephard?
Edit* I meant airspace over the ocean, I've fixed the error.
Oh, I thought you were making a reference to waved space junk dropping down into the water, or something.

Name: So Much For Subtlety
Base Hull: Superhawk class, custom design based off the Thunderhawk Gunship of Warhammer 40K fame. Built 2014

Drive Type: Reactionless Thrusters powered by Hydrogen.

Armaments: None currently.

Defensive systems: Directional Deflector Shield, creates a
very shallow bowl of energy in the path of a attack. Only one can be
active at a time, also doubles as the heat shield and cargo bay force field when the bow loading ramp is open in space. This leaves the ship open to attack.

Current Owner: Ken "Dakota" Olds

Home Port: NA

Crew:

Ken "Dakota" Olds (Owner Capt.)

Quirks: (Still planing a third.)

Does this paint job make my hull look big? The Subtlety has a unusually large sensor return for it's size and no known stealth system can hide this short of hiding behind a planetary body.
Ciaphas Cain: The nav computer will attempt to plot it's way around areas of conflict in such a way as to not look like it's cowardly.
Adeptus Mechanicus: Repairs have to be done with lots of chanting in pig latin, mist, and handwavium. Failure to do so results in the fix item working at 50% efficiency and it breaking down in short order.

Desc:
The Subtlety is slightly wider and longer then the Thunderhawk Gunship(THG) that it draws it's base design from. A enlarged forward bay makes up the lower deck with bow loading ramp that holds roughly six vehicles of roughly car size within it. The rare RV, Semi, or bus can be parked inside it as well. There is a pair of airlocks towards the rear of this deck on ether side. The upper deck contains a much changed cockpit compared to the THG having only a single seat set  in a slanted bay window style canopy. The ship uses fully holographic pilots controls with what would have been the consoles being the computer core. The space behind this is setup as living quarters for the pilot with full toiletries, sonic shower, and fold out bunk. A door set to one side leads to a common room for passengers. A floor hatch set in one corner leads down to the cargo hold while a door leads off down a hallway down one side of the ship towards the stern airlock. Doors along one side of this hallway leads to passenger rooms with the life support and fuel tanks at the very end just before the airlock. A crawl space built under the stern end of the hallway gives access to the engine pods from inside.
The engine pods themselves differ a lot by being larger and in cased in a square housing that also houses the rear landing gear in the bottom. The main wings that branch off the engine housing are design to fold up to reduce width while docking. The area under the rear section of the ship is for external cargo such as up to four standard containers.
Dakota Wrote:Ciaphas Cain: The nav computer will attempt to plot it's way around areas of conflict in such a way as to not look like it's cowardly.

And yet somehow, always seems to wind up in the middle of an even bigger conflicy Tongue (Yes, I have all the Cain books,... they're 40k as it should be)

And yet somehow, always seems to wind up in the middle of an even bigger conflicy Tongue (Yes, I have all the Cain books,... they're 40k as it should be)
I've read one of the books, I've always liked the guy.
Quote:and for crit.
Aside: I'm trying to avoid giving criticism, since I've fallen partway into a "setting guru" role and I don't want to sound like the Voice of Mod when praising or panning something new. (I most definitely am not the Voice of Mod. Mal's the only Voice of Mod we've got, and he gives criticism even less than I do... I suspect we both want to avoid stifling creativity.) I'm also trying to do less writing about writing, and more "real" writing. So when I'm silent, don't take that as a sign that I'm unhappy, or happy, or haven't read something - just that I'm silent.

Anyway.

I'm liking the Superhawk class - Fenspace needs more custom-built ships, IMHO, and the "I'm too sexy big for your sensors" quirk is lovely...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:and for crit.

Aside: I'm trying to avoid giving criticism, since I've fallen partway into a "setting guru" role and I don't want to sound like the Voice of Mod when praising or panning something new. (I most definitely am not the Voice of Mod. Mal's the only Voice of Mod we've got, and he gives criticism even less than I do... I suspect we both want to avoid stifling creativity.) I'm also trying to do less writing about writing, and more "real" writing. So when I'm silent, don't take that as a sign that I'm unhappy, or happy, or haven't read something - just that I'm silent.

Anyway.

I'm liking the Superhawk class - Fenspace needs more custom-built ships, IMHO, and the "I'm too sexy big for your sensors" quirk is lovely...
That I can understand, I picked the quirk as it fits the name for Dakota's.
robkelk Wrote:Fenspace needs more custom-built ships, IMHO
Really?  *Grins*  I'll work on that.
blackaeronaut Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Fenspace needs more custom-built ships, IMHO
Don't you have enough on your plate already?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
blackaeronaut Wrote:
Quote:robkelk wrote:

Fenspace needs more custom-built ships, IMHO
Don't you have enough on your plate already?
Trouble is that these designs have been stuck in my head for about a decade.  I think it's about time I brought them out into the world to play.  (^_^)