Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [meta] Mal's Up Too Late: Fenspace in Celestia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As much as I do love Astrosynthesis for it's gaming potential, Celestia has got it beat for showing an accurate map of the solar system.

To that end, here's a nice picture of the inner solar system as of the start of Chapter 2 of Legend of Galactic Girls, including most of[1] the asteroids claimed in the wiki. Enjoy.

[Image: loggstateoftheinnersyst.th.png]

[1]"Most of" meaning out of 42 claimed rocks I don't have data for 14 of them, plus the assortment of space stations, etc. These will no doubt come in time.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Thanks, Mal - this makes writing Chapter 4 much easier.

I already knew that Mars was off the Pluto-Earth-Mercury-Venus-Jupiter line (nearly a straight line); I'd checked out where the planets will be before having Noah &co. run to Venus to (try to) avoid The Professor. That makes Mars a good place for Haruhi to be stuck on, which she already is.

First problem: Where do The Girls set down during their trip to Jupiter? (Chapter 4 is titled "Angelic Layover", after all; there needs to be a layover in it.)

The two closest marked rocks to the Venus-Jupiter line are 1620 Geographos and 6489 Golevka. What did we put there?

The next-closest appears to be Pallas... but it's almost beside Mars, and thus makes for a poor place to set down if avoiding the SOS-dan.

Then it's Vesta... but I don't really want to let the gear-Girls loose in the Vesta Institutes.

Oh, wait - considering how much black there is on that line, there's a decent chance the Fateful Lightning is hiding out there, working on Yggdrasil. And I already have a scene written with The Jason and Skuld. Okay, that problem's solved: when the Girls are attacked by Boskonians, the Pinafore diverts to the Fateful Lightning for repairs.

Second problem: How do we involve the Roughriders? Or, can we involve the Roughriders?

36 Atalante and 37 Fides are on the far side of Earth from the Venus-Jupiter line, so they won't be launching from home base.

I don't see how to solve this one. If BA can't come up with something, then somebody else will have to be the cavalry...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Maybe they're out there already responding to an earlier incident...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
If you have boarding action as part of that battle, Tom Dobbs wants in. No matter how heavy the heavy hitters are among the Girls, it's his (and third person narrative that focuses on Tom's thoughts should use he/his/him despite the plumbing) Captain's ship that got hit. There MUST be repercussions. Big Grin
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Quote:If you have boarding action as part of that battle, Tom Dobbs wants in.
Well, duh.

Tom, Leese, Peggy, Makoto, and Bibi should make for a fine anti-boarding-boarding party, Leese and Makoto serving as fire support for the other three. (Yes, Makoto's had centuries of experience with firing into melee, so she's not going to cause any friendly-fire incidents. Leese, OTOH... )
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:The two closest marked rocks to the Venus-Jupiter line are 1620 Geographos and 6489 Golevka. What did we put there?

We didn't put down anything, those are rocks that come with the basic Celestia dataset, along with Eros, Gaspra, Ida, Toutatis, Iwotaka, Bacchus, Kleopatra... pretty much any asteroid with the number not in parentheses is a rock that's preloaded & not necessarily a Fen settlement.

ETA: The complete list of fen rocks as on the wiki, now with lovingly hand-entered orbital data (thanks to the JPL Small Body Database):
[Image: loggstateoftheinnersyst.th.png]

And just for fun, here's a closeup of a familiar place in Fen lore:
[Image: heyitstheforged.th.png]

M Fnord Wrote:And just for fun, here's a closeup of a familiar place in Fen lore:
OOOooo... Nice Smile Completely wrong, but I don't have orbital characteristics for Prometheus Forge and I don't know the limits of Celestia. Not to mention that Ki wasn't born yet, A.C. not being one to falsify records.[1]

I DID consider making Prometheus Forge a settlement on 1809 Prometheus when Rob first posted the link to the DB, but my Google-Fu failed me in finding out important details like type and size. Besides, I kinda like it being a reasonably large unnumbered rock that's out of the way.

But still, Niiice. Smile

[1]: There may be a hint of sarcasm there[2], but these ones aren't 'slightly fanciful'.
[2]: Wink
Quote:Completely wrong, but I don't have orbital characteristics for Prometheus Forge and I don't know the limits of Celestia.

Mm? It's a lumpy rock 6km on the long axis, all parameters taken straight from the wiki article.

M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:Completely wrong, but I don't have orbital characteristics for Prometheus Forge and I don't know the limits of Celestia.

Mm? It's a lumpy rock 6km on the long axis, all parameters taken straight from the wiki article.
First off, the image shows Ki orbiting the Forge. It doesn't. As per the write-up, it is positioned 50KM down-orbit of Prometheus Forge. Hence my comment.
Second, according to the timestamp, the image is at 15:32:48, 29th May 2013 (probably because of you doing LoGG stuff at the time). Ki didn't exist until September 2013, and didn't move to that position until after the Boskone War.

Still, it's a nice image and I thank you for the effort you took making it.
Quote:First off, the image shows Ki orbiting the Forge. It doesn't. As per the write-up, it is positioned 50KM down-orbit of Prometheus Forge. Hence my comment.

It's orbiting 50km off the Forge, it'd probably slip into that orbit anyway & I can't find a way to force the stupid thing to lead by 50km. So it orbits.

EDIT: And just to prove that I'm not simply a cranky bastard, here's something I've been working on. Still needs lots of work (mostly in hacking together a low-poly version) but the resulting image is too nice to pass up:

[Image: andjusttothinkitallbega.th.png]

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Maybe they're out there already responding to an earlier incident...
Their faces were all grim.  And rightly so.
While they were still only children, theirs was the only ship with enough sensors to do the job right.  It was a good thing that the Pegasus's AI knew when to say settled.  Of course, that didn't mean that he didn't get a little nervous either.
"Easy boy," whispered Meka softly at the controls as he stroked one of the consoles soothingly.  "Our friends have our backs, so don't worry so much, okay boy?"  Reassured, Pegasus whickered softly over the speakers.
In the Commander's seat was a Jessica Ayanami.  She kept her eyes closed, relying instead on the audio cues around her and the commands that only she could hear.
Stalking Wolf, Strike pack.  Sitrep?
Same as before, Strike Pack.
"Jess, we got a reading!"
Strike Pack, Stalking Wolf, wait one!
"We have light-noise.  Looks like a raiding party is heading out."
"Ben was right!  SOB's were operating right off our back-yard"
"Best place to hide.  Do you have a fix?"
"Affirmative.  Forwarding to your station now."
"Got it!  Meka, get us clear.  The Tough Love is about to light 'em up!"

In short, a Roughrider strike force was out sniffing out a reaver outpost using the NASA Pegasus's more sophisticated sensors.  An outpost that just sent out a raiding party out to get the Epsilon Blade. Which would explain not only why the Roughriders are in the neighborhood, but also so close at hand and in such force.  (^_^)
If... this is acceptable, that is?
That works!

(saves snippet to workfile)
--
Rob Kelk

Glad to be of service! (^_^)
M Fnord Wrote:It's orbiting 50km off the Forge, it'd probably slip into that orbit anyway & I can't find a way to force the stupid thing to lead by 50km. So it orbits.
Ah, figured it might be that. Thanks again for the image.
Ahhh, two of my babies in Important!Story. It warms the cockles of my heart.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
That chart is all kinds of awesome. I knew Jupiter was far out... but didn't realise that is was near twice the maximum distance between Earth and Mars far out. Actually helps put a few things like fuel ranges into perspective.

This roiling mass of spaghetti describes all the space stations currently orbiting the L5 point as of 2015.

It's either spaghetti, or my thought patterns the last time I actually got utterly drunk-dialing drunk. Tongue
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Quote:This roiling mass of spaghetti describes all the space stations currently orbiting the L5 point as of 2015.
Noah always knew he was at the center of things...
--
Rob Kelk

This was a bitch and a half to make, but I think the results are worth it:

[Image: thankxenuthisworked.th.png]

Very pretty.

(Please don't burn yourself out trying to map Delta Pavonis...)
--
Rob Kelk

How long before the Rockhounds Development Administration moves in?
I'd like to think that any company run by non-black hat fen would avoid turning into a psychopathic corporation, and anyway, according to the FenWiki article, the only interest in Pandora is scientific. Handwavium's not a mineral resource, after all.
Tongue firmly in cheek mate, tongue firmly in cheek. And in anyways, the only Na'Vi in fenspace are probably biomods.

And for those entertaining intimations of sarcasm to the previous line... Marsden files phrases like "Eminent Domain" in the same filing cabinet that Natalie Baker files George W Bush's autobiography.
The nice round one, in the refreshment cubicle, with the padded seat.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Pages: 1 2