Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [STORY-ISH] L5 - A Travelogue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Another "Mal's Bored At Work" production!

Following up on the one I did for Genaros, I'm writing a short few paragraphs on all the listed stations at L5. So far I've gotten the three Bernal habitats finished, and more will come as I need to avoid productivity or just get bored. Comments, ideas and brickbats welcome. --Mal

Island One

Island One is a dream only a little older than I am - it was come up with in the early ‘70s. And the place feels like it’s trapped in the 1970s. The habitat is almost like somebody scooped up a chunk of Irvine and rolled into a suburban burrito. Bland, lifeless house after bland, lifeless house cover the interior surface area. The one public building in the place is a looming plasticrete monster that’s part Buckminster Fuller, part Bauhaus and all ugly.

The people are grey, older than the usual residents of Fenspace by at least ten years, and they’re surly. “Don’t you have somewhere to drive to?” was a question I’d get every now and then on my tour of the main settlement, usually with a sneer.

It’s sad, really; the people asking me this were at one point the revolutionary vanguard of the space colonization movement. Unfortunately, like many a vanguard before them they figured that when the Revolution came they’d be the ones in the driver’s seat. When it didn’t happen, they retreated into a shell of nostalgia and bitterness. Most of the locals don’t leave Island One often, and even then it’s only to hit up the Convention and exposit on how the rest of the Fen are doing it wrong.

This is where dreams deferred go to die.

In all this gloom and ‘70s hell, there is one spot of light: the Robert A. Wilson Memorial Chicken Ranch. Set up by a few of the last of the red-hot hippies, the Ranch sits 180 degrees off the main settlement, “so somebody’s always looking down on somebody,” our guide (and an old friend of the family, from back in the lean & hungry years) cheerfully explained. It operates as a good old-fashioned commune, everybody pitching in and helping with the work.

Mostly the Ranch raises chickens for trade with the habitat’s other residents, but they have other income streams. One of these is quite possibly the finest breed of cannabis that I have ever tried in my life. Barnard Black is all home-grown in specially-prepared soil, none of that hydroponics stuff the hemp growers on Mars use, and is doped up with a secret blend of neurotransmitters. It’s all quite potent, more than a little psychedelic and this is true: the first time (as far as I can determine) an AI ever got totally stoned on quality hash was when I saw Sora take a couple of tokes on some Barnard Black for politeness’ sake. She spent the rest of the evening giggling quietly on the couch[1].

[size=smaller][1] Of course, science demands that we test this property, to see if the effect is limited to Captain Hasegawa or if it will affect a wider variety of artificial intelligences. To this end, we’ve arranged for five kilos of Barnard Black to be sent to a trusted test subject. Have fun, Greenie. --GLaDOS.[/size]

Central Station

Genaros is a cyberpunk theme park; Island One is ‘70s kitsch. Central is aggressively European. The interior is laid out like a small town from central casting’s idea of Europe, Rural Generic. The streets are moonrock cobblestone, and laid down to suggest that some wandering band of post-Roman barbarians decided to settle there and the town just grew naturally out from around their camp. Getting lost in Central’s winding streets and alleys is a refreshing change from the heavily planned American-style road grid in Kandor and Port Luna; almost like a two-dimensional Port Phobos.

Politics is the lifeblood of Central. The locals make no attempt to disguise their ambition to become the capital city (station, habitat, whatever) of the L5 cluster. They’ve got an uphill battle ahead of them: Stellvia is the closest thing to a de facto capital in the cluster, and that’s not likely to change any time in the future. Still, the mood in Central’s many cafes and salons remains optimistic. “Scott will get bored eventually,” they say. “He’ll turn away from politics back to making money, and then we’ll have our chance to federate.”

The politically-charged atmosphere and the laid-back European landscape make for an interestingly collegiate air, and indeed several ‘Daneside institutions have established branch offices here. I spent a lazy Thursday afternoon in a pub off the market square arguing post-capitalist structures in Fenspace with an earnest young Maoist just up from the University of Otago[2]. There are a lot of people like my debate partner, fendanes and mundanes both, living and working in Central these days. The station has an energy about it that reminds me of the heady three weeks on the Island back in 2009, when pretty much everybody aloft at the time got together and hammered out the Articles of Convention. They’re trying to build something new out here, and the place is filled with bright-eyed optimism.

I wish them the best of luck.

[size=smaller][2] I’m pleased to report that syndicalism beat state capitalism, three rounds out of three. --MF[/size]
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Central as described reminds me quite a bit about the EU... or at least, what the EU thinks of itself before it gets mired in bureaucracy as every single viewpoint/language/culture must be given a say and must be accomodated and or bailed out. Just waiting to federate when the other superpowers get out of the way, then we'll be a big deal again.
M Fnord Wrote:It’s all quite potent, more than a little psychedelic and this is true: the first time (as far as I can determine) an AI ever got totally stoned on quality hash was when I saw Sora take a couple of tokes on some Barnard Black for politeness’ sake. She spent the rest of the evening giggling quietly on the couch[1].

[size=smaller][1] Of course, science demands that we test this property, to see if the effect is limited to Captain Hasegawa or if it will affect a wider variety of artificial intelligences. To this end, we’ve arranged for five kilos of Barnard Black to be sent to a trusted test subject. Have fun, Greenie. --GLaDOS.[/size]
The effect isn't limited to just big sis; we were all programmed to simulate humans as completely as possible. (This is according to our specs, and from my memories of seeing Yoriko drunk. Dad won't let me try any drugs for some reason.) Let me know how everybody's favorite AI handles that gift, 'kay? --Kohran

M Fnord Wrote:Politics is the lifeblood of Central. The locals make no attempt to disguise their ambition to become the capital city (station, habitat, whatever) of the L5 cluster. They’ve got an uphill battle ahead of them: Stellvia is the closest thing to a de facto capital in the cluster, and that’s not likely to change any time in the future. Still, the mood in Central’s many cafes and salons remains optimistic. “Scott will get bored eventually,” they say. “He’ll turn away from politics back to making money, and then we’ll have our chance to federate.”
They're still saying that, are they? I must remember to send them an ambassador sometime soon. --N. Scott
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
robkelk Wrote:They're still saying that, are they? I must remember to send them an ambassador sometime soon. --N. Scott
*Snrk* Ambassador, in this case, meaning someone to perform a 'friendly' takeover? -- Black
OOC: I'm guessing these are messages being fired off in SMOF-Politics? Wink
Quote:*Snrk* Ambassador, in this case, meaning someone to perform a 'friendly' takeover? -- Black
Why would I want another station at L5? Maybe if I could move it to Venus... No, that would be overkill. --N. Scott
Quote:OOC: I'm guessing these are messages being fired off in SMOF-Polotics? Wink
OOC: I was thinking more an annotated version of The Fenspace Travel Guide, with the original articles written by the VVS. Kohran doesn't have access to SMOF-Politics.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Central as described reminds me quite a bit about the EU... or at least, what the EU thinks of itself before it gets mired in bureaucracy as every single viewpoint/language/culture must be given a say and must be accomodated and or bailed out. Just waiting to federate when the other superpowers get out of the way, then we'll be a big deal again.

There is a bit of EU-ness to Central, yeah. I'd say it's about a 60/40 mix of quiet EU supremacy and the sort of confidence you get from college Marxists who haven't had a lot of time slogging through the trenches. Lots of "tomorrow belongs to us" and other rhetoric. And hey, who knows? They might even manage to pull it off.

Quote:They're still saying that, are they? I must remember to send them an ambassador sometime soon. --N. Scott

This would be more threatening if I didn't know that Noah's ultimate contingency for non-Stellvian supremacy in L5 was "run like a scared rabbit."

Quote:I'm guessing these are messages being fired off in SMOF-Politics? Wink

As part of a project to document the ever-changing memetic landscape of Fenspace, Comrade General Malaclypse Fnord and his aide-de-camp Comrade Captain Sora Hasegawa spent several weeks in the summer of 2015 traveling between the various habitats at the Earth-Luna Lagrange points. This travelogue is a summary of that trip and Gen. Fnord’s impressions of the places visited. Full video, interviews with residents and expanded commentary by both Gen. Fnord and Capt. Hasegawa can be found at http://lagrandtour.sovietairforce.fen/

*the more you know.jpg*

M Fnord Wrote:As part of a project to document the ever-changing memetic landscape of Fenspace, Comrade General Malaclypse Fnord and his aide-de-camp Comrade Captain Sora Hasegawa spent several weeks in the summer of 2015 traveling between the various habitats at the Earth-Luna Lagrange points. This travelogue is a summary of that trip and Gen. Fnord’s impressions of the places visited. Full video, interviews with residents and expanded commentary by both Gen. Fnord and Capt. Hasegawa can be found at http://lagrandtour.sovietairforce.fen/

*the more you know.jpg*
... I was actually thinking more along the lines of reactions of the SMOFS to said videos, with Ben supposedly snarking on Noah's reaction.  S'okay, I'm pretty sure Ben's recieved his own share of snarkage from the SMOFS in reaction to some of his projects.
Which reminds me, one of these days I'm gonna have to write a story where Gabriel's Horn is revealed.  Wonder what'll piss off the SMOFS more: the fact that Ben has a giant MAC mounted on 36 Atalante, since eight o'clock day one, or the fact that it's been in operation this whole time and no one's noticed? Wink
M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:They're still saying that, are they? I must remember to send them an ambassador sometime soon. --N. Scott

This would be more threatening if I didn't know that Noah's ultimate contingency for non-Stellvian supremacy in L5 was "run like a scared rabbit."
It would take more than non-Stellvian supremacy in L5 for Noah to implement Contingency Plan #3. You might call it "running"; I call it "ensuring the survival of the species". Besides:

We know well what Life can tell:
If you would not perish, then grow.
And today our fragile flesh and steel
Have laid our hands on a vaster wheel
With all of the stars to know

Edit: No, this would be a political move - Stellvia recognizing Central as a separate nation-state.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:You might call it "running"; I call it "ensuring the survival of the species".

Uh-huh. Sure, and Noah wouldn't have activated Contingency #3 on the off chance the cislunar habitats federated. Consider this an expression of polite disbelief.

(The Eyes of Mod see all and most important, *remember* all. Moo hoo ha ha ha.)

M Fnord Wrote:
Quote:You might call it "running"; I call it "ensuring the survival of the species".

Uh-huh. Sure, and Noah wouldn't have activated Contingency #3 on the off chance the cislunar habitats federated. Consider this an expression of polite disbelief.

(The Eyes of Mod see all and most important, *remember* all. Moo hoo ha ha ha.)

Then the Eyes of Mod also remember the next two posts in that thread.

Anyway. Less meta, more story, please...
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:Less meta, more story, please...
As you wish, sahib...

New Yavin

New Yavin is really two stations, haphazardly jammed together. The first station is the new one, the one that’s in the news most of the time; all gleaming white panel walls and technology with just the right amount of zeerust. This is what most outsiders think of when they think of New Yavin. Hell, it’s what I tend to think of; the shining heart of the Republic.

The other station in New Yavin is the old one, the original one the Warsies cobbled together out of shipping containers and water tanks and launched up here when only lunatics thought building a DIY space station was a good idea. This station looks a good deal more ramshackle - the locals never bothered to hide the worksmanship under panels and blinking lights - but it’s also much friendlier than the newer construction. The people living in the old station are all First Fen, the ones who didn’t take up leadership positions in the Republic or elsewhere. All they wanted was to live in space, and this is their home. The new construction is well-done, but cold and impersonal. The old station is a bit shoddy, but well lived-in.

Everything’s in a state of flux these days. The Republic government and most of the population is getting ready to move out to the Coruscant colony on Mimas in a few months, so most of the population is packing up. Officially, only maybe a thousand or so people will remain in this once-bustling space city when all is said and done, most of them as support for the Republic Navy squadrons staying behind in cislunar. Unofficially, however, a lot of the people we talked to were planning on staying, Republic edict or no.

“I helped build this place with my own two hands,” one grizzled Mandalorian said to me down in the old station. “and I figure that I earned the right to stay here.”

“Saturn’s pretty and all,” said another resident, this time a fenkinder who may have grown up on New Yavin, “but I like seeing Earth out the porthole.”

Of all the things the Republic’s had to deal with over the last few years, a squatter problem has got to be a first. Still, in the great scheme of things forcing somebody to abandon their hard-won home for a shiny pile of quasi-fascist architecture on the edge of the system is a pretty terrible thing to do. Let them stay.

Quote:M Fnord wrote:

Of all the things the Republic’s had to deal with over the last few years, a squatter problem has got to be a first. Still, in the great scheme of things forcing somebody to abandon their hard-won home for a shiny pile of quasi-fascist architecture on the edge of the system is a pretty terrible thing to do. Let them stay.
Not that we won't wait for diplomacy to take its due course, but if the 'New' Republic tries to press the matter with a force of arms then they'll find a Roughrider task force waiting with nasty grins and loaded guns.  Trying to force someone to relocate is, at best, a borderline infringement of the Articles of Convention. It shall not be tolerated.  --Black
blackaeronaut Wrote:
Quote:M Fnord wrote:

Not that we won't wait for diplomacy to take its due course, but if the 'New' Republic tries to press the matter with a force of arms then they'll find a Roughrider task force waiting with nasty grins and loaded guns.  Trying to force someone to relocate is, at best, a borderline infringement of the Articles of Convention. It shall not be tolerated.  --Black
Easy there, cowboy. You can't just show up and expect to beat off the best-organized space fleet in Fenspace... on your own. Make sure you coordinate with Cal and Yayoi first. (Green Squadron are in that thousand people officially staying behind, Yayoi likes Cal - Gods alone know why - and the two of them know L5 space better than anyone else.) --N. Scott
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Easy there, cowboy. You can't just show up and expect to beat off the best-organized space fleet in Fenspace... on your own. Make sure you coordinate with Cal and Yayoi first. (Green Squadron are in that thousand people officially staying behind, Yayoi likes Cal - Gods alone know why - and the two of them know L5 space better than anyone else.) --N. Scott
Well, I never said that I'd play fair.  But, hey!  The more, the merrier, I say.  And we'll talk later about why the Warsies should back off once we start making noise.  --Black

OOC: I went and stubbed all the L5 station wiki pages in expectation that this thread would continue, and it died on us instead...
--
Rob Kelk

Tongue

Tsunami Station
The most obvious thing about Tsunami is the wood. There are musty, century-old gentleman’s clubs back on Earth that don’t have so much wood paneling. I’m not really exaggerating when I say that everything on Tsunami is covered in wood, if not actually made out of wood. Even the station structural members have a cladding of thick wood - live wood at that. And the really neat thing about Tsunami’s abundance of plant life? None of it comes from the Jason, or AC Peters, or any of the usual suspects when it comes to mad biology. The process the Juraians use remains a well-kept secret, despite the occasional round of industrial espionage.

The second most obvious thing about Tsunami is the culture. It’s an otaku enclave, and the local source material takes a lot from feudal Japan, so everything here is very Japanese. As a gaijin, it was pretty obvious that I wasn’t especially welcome. It made wandering around the main habitat module awkward; the inhabitants were painfully polite, never an unkind word to my face, but the smiles were strained. It was frustrating, because people would deflect any questions I had about life on Tsunami.

Even Sora had trouble getting around, which surprised me. “We live in two different Japans,” she told me. “I live in the modern Japan, and they live in the Edo period, in space. As far as they’re concerned, we’re the Black Ships come to ruin their utopia.” Between the pseudo-traditionalists on Tsunami and the bitter-enders on Island One, sometimes I wonder if there’s something about L5 that attracts people who want to go into the future to regress.

M Fnord Wrote:Even Sora had trouble getting around, which surprised me. “We live in two different Japans,” she told me. “I live in the modern Japan, and they live in the Edo period, in space. As far as they’re concerned, we’re the Black Ships come to ruin their utopia.”
I'm not at all surprised. Tsunami may have been one of the original L5 All-Stations, but the reason they dropped out of the team was that the only person there who flew for fun moved to the Eyrie. He said he switched to the Eurofen station so he could live "someplace less straitjacketed". Yeah. -Cal C., Green Squadron
--
Rob Kelk

Hot off the presses!

Abliarsec Station
After Island One and Tsunami, you’d think Abliarsec would be more of the same. Possibly you’d think it would be even worse, consdering the Abh have a reputation for being aloof, arrogant bastards. To my surprise (and delight), Abliarsec was a very welcoming place; they even stopped construction to throw a party when we arrived.

And the construction they’re working on is impressive in its own right. What most Fen call ‘Abliarsec’ is what the Abh are calling the ‘West Pole’ these days. They’re building a second station called East Pole, and when they’re both done, the two stations will be the endcaps of a Cole sphere habitat that will be two miles across, making it the largest single artificial habitat in Fenspace.

Life in the station can be pretty Spartan at times, since all the adult Abh are busy with building East Pole and taking care of the youngsters. The walls vary between plain metal or wildly painted with incredible abstract art. My guide says that the art comes from the few Abh biomods they’ve managed to produce - something to do with how the ‘mod interprets the genetic gifts of the source material. The Abh-mods themselves are closer to the source material than the other Abh, but a little arrogance goes a long way in Fenspace, and the Convention’s a good teacher.

I don’t know what the Abh plan to do once they’ve finished the full version of Abliarsec - probably populate it, since there’s less than a thousand Abh in a habitat that will support fifty thousand easily - but if they manage to retain their engineering skills and drive once it’s done, they’re going to explode on the greater Convention like a bomb. It should be interesting to see.

I'm listening to Susan Aglukark's "O Siem" right now, and it struck me as oddly appropriate for the Abliarsec section. I probably linked the "We are all family" lyric from "O Siem" to "taking care of youngsters" and "populate Abliarsec" in the travelogue.
Hey, look! Content!

Clarke County
You’d think a man like me, so dearly in love with the ideals of socialism, would absolutely detest Clarke County and it’s aggressively capitalist minarchy. And well… you’re not totally wrong. But you’re not totally right, either.

Clarke County, a cluster of Von Braun tubes stacked together like a floating office building, is in some ways what Island One should’ve been. This is where a bunch of people who were totally devoted to the idea of living in space ended up, and instead of growing bitter like the Islanders, they embraced the potential of handwavium. They’re building a society in Clarke County that’s one part Heinleinian, one part Nivenite Belter and one part Gerry O’Neill. It’s the one thing a Fen station should be, no matter the politics; it’s alive and vibrant. We were welcome on Clarke County with open arms. They might have been looking forward to fleecing a pair of commies, but the smiles and greetings weren’t less than genuine.

The interior of the station is covered in bright murals, mostly landscapes; I recognized the hills around Pike’s Peak on one mural, though the long catapult running up the eastern slope of the mountain obviously was the artist’s addition. The locals are a mix of older Heinleinians and younger Duncanite types looking to make it big in the orbital wilderness. The younger ones are all full of piss and vinegar, talking about their plans for the economic domination of the Convention and the victory of “freedom forever.” Their elders are a little more pragmatic; they’ve been around a long while, and they recognize that Clarke County is still a small fish in a big pond.

Still, business is booming around the station. Because of the County’s economic views, they’ve become the default trade point for wildcat miners and other Belters that aren’t part of the Greenwood axis. There’s always a ship full of metal or supplies hanging off the docking ports. As long as the boom lasts, Clarke County will remain prosperous. But that’s not a sure thing – more and more wildcats are starting to hook up with Greenwood.

Quote:Hey, look! Content!
Is that allowed?

That's six down, 19 to go...
--
Rob Kelk

And one more for the evening...

A Baoa Qu
The great refuge of Gundam otaku in Fenspace, A Baoa Qu has an interesting origin story even beyond most Fen stations. As the story goes, the Fen who found the original asteroid were were the sort of fans who grew up on science-fiction media but didn’t have a really good understanding of space. So as I’m sure you can imagine, they were a bit put out to realize that giant mushroom-shaped asteroids don’t, in fact, exist in nature[3]. Undeterred, the good folk of A Baoa Qu would spend the next two years whittling down and reshaping an otherwise average S-type rubble pile into an exact replica of the rock from the show. The station is, then, a triumph of geekery over common sense.

If you like giant robots, then A Baoa Qu is probably the best place in the solar system for them. I know most people would cite Marsbase Sara as the mecha Mecca[4], but that’s a very exclusive club. A Baoa Qu is the proletariat’s giant robot center. While they do have a small contingent of combat suits - most of whom are usually off working with Great Justice or one of the other otaku factions - the rest of the mecha are used for industrial purposes. The station itself is an industrial center; they take in shipments of ore from the Belt and refine it into pure ingots or ‘waved alloys, which then head off to John Henry or Utopia Planitia or Mare Marginis to be turned into stuff.

The main faction in charge is the Anti-Earth Union Group, which is the biggest voice in the separatist wing of the Convention. Or at least the loudest. It’s worked to the disadvantage of A Baoa Qu a couple of times; their insistence on staying “free of ‘Danelaw ties” means that they avoid trading with some of the larger economic engines in cislunar. The AEUG sticks to their principles, though, which is commendable considering the pressure that can be brought to bear by the big guns.

The station culture’s a bit weird. It’s an uneven mix of Earth Federation and Zeon fans, so of course there’s a lot of tension in the air. It’s not something you notice when there’s work to be done, but once the shift’s over and the bar starts to fill, well... let’s just say that if you mention Yoshiyuki Tomino, be ready to duck.

[3] They were also a bit put out to learn that space is a good deal trickier to survive in than Gundam had taught. Thankfully, handwavium makes for a great cushion. --MF

[4] We would like to apologize for this, and rest assured that no further puns of this magnitude will be unleashed during the travelogue. The general’s medication has been increased. --GLaDOS

And yet another!

Robur’s Eyrie
It’s a funny thing, but you don’t see a lot of unreal estate in the cislunar area. Grover’s Corners is parked at L3, of course, but most examples tend to end up in free solar orbit somewhere like the Island, or parked on a planet or moon, like the Little Dublin district in Port Lowell or the guys who bought up and rebuilt an entire Old West mining camp on Ganymede. Robur’s Eyrie is one of the rare exceptions. The capstone of the station is a domed enclosure containing an authentic hilltop from the Blue Ridge Mountains, and on top of that hill sits a mansion built in the Second Empire neo-baroque style. From this manse the self-styled “Master of the World” controls his empire.

The rest of the station is a warren of corridors, workshops and bunkhouses built out of wave-reinforced brick, steel, cast iron and brass. Good Lord there’s a lot of brass in Robur’s Eyrie. I’m pretty sure that they bought an entire Space Rock’s worth of copper and zinc to get as much brass as you see in the place. The residents all seem to fit well into this red-and-gold world. They’re not really Victorian in their steampunk - for one thing, they’re majority French - but they’ve embraced that 1870’s upper bourgeoisie aesthetic as their own.

“I consider the Eyrie to be a haven for artisans,” Robur declared over dinner. It’s hard not to agree with him; everything in the station has been painstakingly handcrafted, from the structural members to the silverware. Considered as a single piece of art, it’s magnificent. The basic mechanics of the station, all of it wave-augmented clockwork or steam powered, impressed the hell out of Sora.

Unfortunately, the Eyrie hasn’t become the haven Robur wanted. Despite the continuing popularity of steampunk ‘Daneside and elsewhere in the Convention, there’s apparently not enough punkers who consider space travel in genre, if you will. Robur’s nothing if not optimisitc, though; he’s hoping to change that with his two new projects. The first, the SC Albatross, is a fully-realized steampunk spacecraft, something he hopes will kindle interest from terrestrial communities in Europe and North America. The other is the SS Queen Emeraldas, a project Robur admits is mostly for paying the bills, but one he hopes will generate a trend for steampunk-styled craft in Fenspace.

It’s a long shot, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Quote: The first, the SC Albatross, is a fully-realized steampunk spacecraft, something he hopes will kindle interest from terrestrial communities in Europe and North America. The other is the SS Queen Emeraldas, a project Robur admits is mostly for paying the bills, but one he hopes will generate a trend for steampunk-styled craft in Fenspace.

Nice. ^_^ I assume you mean this Queen Emeraldas? 

[Image: kabe_01_v102.jpg]
*Jaw hangs open*

Okay, I'm sending that one to my Mom, who thinks that Emeraldas is the biggest lady-bad-ass ever.
Pages: 1 2