Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [STORY][Snippets] Vulpine Fury Vignettes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
October 13, 2008 --Wallace Webster Senatorial Campaign Headquarters, Hanover, NH
     "We've got to do something, Barry," Wallace Webster said, rubbing a hand through his silvering crew cut. "We just barely beat Sununu in the Primary and Shaheen is creaming us in the polls."
     "What can we do, Wally?" Barry Dulac, his campaign manager, asked. "She seems to have us beat on policy and Sununu wasted all the dirt on her in the Primary." The weedy little man went into deep thought and idly refreshed his web browser. And in a flash of news server serendipity, he had it. "What if we had some smoke and mirrors issue that Shaheen seems weak on? Like that nut in Nashua with the Handwaved Big rig?"
     "Scare tactics?" Webster mused. A slow grin spread across his face. "I think we can do that, and I think I know just the target."
October 13, 2008 --Private Residence, Lebanon, NH
     Eljay stepped back from his 2004 Neon after six hours' work applying Handwavium to every surface and wiped sweat from his brow. The goop seemed to be working as intended, since the scrape on the side from when his mother had sideswiped a granite underpass was smoothing out and matching the silvery sheen of the rest of the car as he watched. He looked at the bucket and was glad to notice he still had enough to try some of the other ideas he'd heard about on the internet. He smiled as he turned off the CD boom box that had played snippets of scores from Star Trek, Star Wars, The Fifth Element and Back to the Future. He closed the bucket very firmly, sealed it as best he could, and put it in his trunk.
     "Well, Nene," he said conversationally to his car, "tomorrow we find out just how well things took." He patted the fender affectionately and stripped off his safety gear before going inside for a well-deserved session playing City of Heroes.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Innnnnnnteresting. Do want more.
October 20, 2008 -- Mount Washington, NH

Bullets flattened against the integrity fields of Eljay's Neon as he navigated up the Mount Washington Auto Road. He'd already activated the BTTF drive and was effectively flying inches above the road. He snarled as the audio feed for WMUR-9 TV was playing the interview with that asshole Webster.

"We can only hope that our brave State Troopers stop this cowardly terrorist from unleashing his grey goo weapon," the Senatorial candidate droned, "on the citizens of our fair state. It is only due to lax legislation in Congress that the terrorist was able to get his hands on it! We need a stronger hand in the Senate, preventing loonies like this recluse from even being able to hear about things like this 'Handwavium!'"

While the reporters were doing a more evenhanded job of maintaining his 'alleged' status, Eljay could read the writing on the wall. Everything he had, with the exceptions of what was in the car with him had already been seized by the FBI, his father was in the emergency room from the stress, and his mother was at his sisters because everything they had had been seized as well. The real eye opener had been the shots fired by the State Troopers as he had pulled onto the Interstate. No warning lights, no siren, just ratatatat.

Then the lights and sirens had come on, but hell if he was going to stop unarmed when he'd get shot for "driving while Fen."

He smiled at the straightaway in front of him.

"Roads?" he quoted in a shaky Christopher Lloyd impression. "Where we're going, we won't need roads." He put the throttle to the floor and pulled back on the steering column as the speedometer hit 88 miles per hour and the orbital boost kicked in, leaving twin trails of plasma hanging in the sky.

November 5, 2008 -- Dot Matrix's Mainframe Diner, Kandor Dome, Luna

The newly-christened Vulpine Fury sat morosely in a booth at the restaurant he was helping to build and poked idly at his newly-waved laptop, connecting to the internet through several dummy routers set up by the Watchtower. He checked his new email accounts, since his old ones were now obviously compromised and fired off a message to his sister replying that he had received the good news about his parents continued health. That finished, he turned to "local" news from back home and felt ice-cold rage set him quivering.

Quote:Yahoo! News! Webster wins NH Senate Seat on "Anti-Handwavium" Platform
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll

HRogge

I have to agree to BlackAeronaut, that sounds really interesting. Are you planning to expand both on the situation on the ground and on the escaped new Fen?
This "new" Fan has had a http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Vulpine_Fury]FenWiki page since November 2008... Foxboy is just getting around to his origin story, is all.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

robkelk Wrote:This "new" Fan has had a http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Vulpine_Fury]FenWiki page since November 2008... Foxboy is just getting around to his origin story, is all.
Ahh okay *G*

still interesting to see more
By the way... Foxboy, you mentioned that Dot Matrix's was built in the Googie style. Considering that (a) Googie includes chrome and (b) there's a lot more metal available in Fenspace than there is plaster, would this model (in the non-toon mode) be an acceptable Dot's?

(Heh - it comes with a potted Lime tree...)
--
Rob Kelk

Absolutely. Fwiw,

VF's Studio looks like it belongs in New York after a fashion. (multi-story "brownstone") He's intentionally made the roof attractive for Parkour and "Bat Broods". He can't really do much of it himself, but he's got enough esprit-de-corps for his faction to not ruin anyone else's fun.

-- James Nicoll
That may have to wait - the only brownstone with a roof I can find in a quick search costs $35...
--
Rob Kelk

Hrrrm. What sort of level of detail are we looking for? any particular reference images?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Think 123 Sesame Street. The central building on the set is a brownstone.

-- James Nicoll
On the off-chance you're old enough to remember The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Del Floria's was in the basement of a brownstone.
--
Rob Kelk

So, something like this, only more?

[Image: bsone09121101.jpg]
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Yeah a few more architectural greeblies, and it should be good. Think most of Kings Row in CoX, because it's right across from an Atlas Park Expy, hell, it's on Atlas Park Drive. Big Grin

-- James Nicoll
Well, I was going to show you an example of a nice brownstone, pulled from Google Images, but once again, Yuku demonstrates that it was coded by palsied chimps. Here's a link to the picture.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
January 7, 2009 -- Kandor

"... so I was thinking, what if we don't use the wave for the finished product, but to make the device to make the finished product?" Eljay asked.

His coworker on the construction crew paused, sipping his Australian beer. "That's so crazy, it just might work."

"I know, right? I'm gonna see if I can cook up a strain for the animatronics, then one for the outer biomimetics."

"Really? And how are you going to control it?"

Eljay's battered sketchbook slid and bounced strangely across the table in the Lunar gravity, stopping just in front of his coworker.

"I've worked up a neural induction process and a slightly FTL signal source. I'm already using this on some of the drones towards Tezuka Lake."

"Intriguing. And you say that you're using your wave strains to create fabrication systems for your other projects?"

"Eeyup. Puppetry is all about the performance and the materials science." Eljay's enthusiasm was evident. "I've even got a lot of work done on a Kusanagi drone."

"Still," his coworker said, "you've given me lots to think about. Thanks, Eljay."

"No problem, Azzy." Vulpine Fury got up and shook Asmodeus Grey's hand. "Same time tomorrow?"

"You know it!"

-- James Nicoll
Quote:Vulpine Fury got up and shook Asmodeus Grey's hand.

Dun-Dun-Dunnnn

And only now, do the implications become clear. That's something I've always liked about your writing.... you do so much with so few words.

That's going to hurt, eventually...
--
Rob Kelk