Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: SCIENCE!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Mads are coming! Hooray, Hooray! The Mads are coming RUN AWAAAAAY!!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20100929/tc_ ... rom_home_1
Or for the more ballistically inclined with access to a three-pase electricity supply, you could build a coilgun.

I built one once. Threw the switch. It worked for about half a second before the current melted the insulation off the cables I'd used. You can imagine what happened then, especially since I'd wedged just about every breaker closed in order to get enough current to the thing. And Oh-boy did I get enough current...

Fortunately I had the good sense not to hold it at the time.
Dartz Wrote:I built one once. Threw the switch. It worked for about half a second before the current melted the insulation off the cables I'd used. You can imagine what happened then, especially since I'd wedged just about every breaker closed in order to get enough current to the thing. And Oh-boy did I get enough current...  
.....  *Evil Science Laughter*  Okay, Dude.  You are definitely one of us.  (^_^)
Snort, "these can be very fun to play with at night, and are relatively harmless if you aren't intoxicated."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
*Double snort* I find it hilarous that you and i twigged on the same bit
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Heh, Jacob's Ladder kit's have been a mainstay for many electronics shops down here for years. I've never really contemplated making one though.....

I have however considered building the contents of a certain book, no it's not one of the other certain books of which I may've skimmed over the chapters on pyrotechnics & locksmithing, laughed at the volume on atomics and winced at the encyclopedic volumes on gunsmithing.

--Rod.H
"So what if I can build a simple nuke; bomb or reactor. If it worked it'd be dirty as heck, and if it didn't it'd still be as dirty."
BTW: I wonder how much thrust you can get out of one of those home-made jam jar jets.
blackaeronaut Wrote:BTW: I wonder how much thrust you can get out of one of those home-made jam jar jets.

Not much, ramp it up too much the jar explodes. Theo Gray, PopSci's resident mad & the Element guy, covered them in his http://www.amazon.com/foo/dp/1579127916/. The jar will also explode from thermal shock too.
blackaeronaut Wrote:BTW: I wonder how much thrust you can get out of one of those home-made jam jar jets.
Rod H Wrote:Not much, ramp it up too much the jar explodes. Theo Gray, PopSci's resident mad & the Element guy, covered them in his http://www.amazon.com/foo/dp/1579127916/. The jar will also explode from thermal shock too.
Ah, but if you handwave the jar...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012