Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC][halp!] Consideration of Dropping and Delegating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay guys.
I hate considering this.  I honestly do.  But recent developments concerning the Alternates story The South Is Rising, in conjunction with recent IRL events has forced me to consider this.
I may very well have to completely drop my involvement in Fenspace.
Trust me, this is not some passive-aggressive backlash at the sudden productivity seen in the recently developing stories.  More like it is a distraction that I can no longer afford in my life.  Essentially, I'm focusing too much on stories and creative writing and not enough on my Naval career.  As some of you may understand, that's a good way to get an administrative separation and I cannot afford that.
I will still work on my other projects when I have the time to do so.  But right now, Seventh Fleet demands too much.
Also, I won't yank the Roughriders out of the picture so readily - that'd be just plain mean-spirited on my part.  I'm willing to leave that to someone else (or several someones) to manage if they think they can handle it.  They can defer to me for guidance, but for the most part I can no longer spend the time I would like to spend on this.
So if anyone feels up to the task, please say so.
Quote:Essentially, I'm focusing too much on stories and creative writing and not enough on my Naval career. As some of you may understand, that's a good way to get an administrative separation and I cannot afford that.
I hear what you're saying. Work and family come before hobbies, definitely.

Quote:I'm willing to leave that to someone else (or several someones) to manage if they think they can handle it. They can defer to me for guidance, but for the most part I can no longer spend the time I would like to spend on this.

So if anyone feels up to the task, please say so.
I'm willing to be one of those "several someones" - I think I know Ben and Gina well enough to be able to write them correctly, and am willing to take a chance with Mayo-chan and the others - but I have work and family, too, so I can't be the sole custodian of the characters for if/when you come back.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Thank you for understanding, Rob.
I'm pretty sure that Dakota and Dartz would be interested in helping. They both seem to have the inclination and the spare time for it.
EDIT: I also want to get all the ROughrider stuff on the Fenwiki sorted out before I really pull out.  Just so there's a more solid framework to build off of.
I just noticed that the "User:BlackAeronaut" page I put together for you back in January might have been prophetic:
Quote:BlackAeronaut writes about Ben and The Roughriders, who are not a retrothrash band.

{{Roughriders portal}}

Sometimes work keeps him too busy to write.
I'm assuming you won't have time to flesh that out before taking your sabbatical...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell, probably over the course of the next week. For now, though, I'll need to export all of my stuff so I can work on it off-line.
EDIT: Is there an off-line version of the wiki-engine we're using?  It'd be nice to be able to work with this stuff as WYSIWYG instead of writing out the write-ups and then having to code them before loading them up.  Bandwidth sucks on my end, after all.
EDIT2: Oh!  Did a little research and it seems that OpenOffice 3.0 comes with a plugin that publishes documents to Mediawiki's Wikitext markup language... though it does so in an unnattractive manner.  No matter, I can fix that afterwards.  Just as long as it does the heavy lifting and the markup's not buggy.
I was... just about to mention that.

I'm not sure what myself and Dakota would be able to do... to be honest. Maybe if somebody called for a traditional Roughrider rescue in a story, that'd be doable by one of us... but I'd feel kinda bad handling named Roughriders like Ben and Gina.

If you don't mind, maybe I could try taking the A-team... or perhaps the research Lab out at 37-Fides, parts that haven't been expanded on yet. I had an idea for something fast and cool, and it could come as much from there if anywhere.

Though... the reason we seem to have so much time... at least in my case, is a current lack of gainful employment. I guess man, you're better off not having as much time as we do to keep track of things.

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Thanks, Dartz.  Rob has already said he would take a shot at handling the major named characters (Benjamin, Gina, Mayonaka, et al) so things like the HARDES (Highly Advanced Research, Development, and Exploration Service - pronounced Hardies), the Roughnecks, the Angels of Mercy, and the A-Team are up for grabs.  As mentioned, I'm gonna try and get everything fleshed out so everyone has a source of reference.
Don't feel too bad about the whole employment thing.  I had the same issue myself until I finally went for military service as a last ditch effort.