Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [background] Faction Leaders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a short email exchange with Mal today, and one of the things we discussed was the leaders of the various factions... and how so many of them reflect the makeup of North American SF fandom (read: predominately white and male). I'm thinking it's time to identify some of the faction leaders who aren't male and white.

Obviously, Queen Serenity I of the Senshi is a female. And since I'm the person who volunteered to write her character page, I get to decide what else she is or isn't... so http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... nity_I.png]here she is. (Better image to follow once I'm rested and can fix the problems that don't show up in that small image.)

I also suggested to Mal that maybe the Dandelions' current leader (read: the guy who gets stuck with the paperwork while everyone else writes new music) is a Cuban-descended street musician from Miami... or Havana. (But I like Cuban jazz, so that may be colouring my perceptions here.) And Mal suggested http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bjo_Trimble]a particular BNF as the first leader of the Trekkies.

So, given that it's highly unlikely (while still remotely possible) that the Warsies, Wizards or Browncoats would pick a non-white leader just because of their source fandoms, and the already-identified faction leaders are already identified (mostly as being white males), who are the as-yet-unidentified faction leaders (other than Serenity I, who I'm still intending to do the writeup for)? Submissions are welcome...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
There's no reason why the Wizards can't have a few McGonagall-types on the ministry council (Heck, Rowling herself might even be involved somehow). There're not just wizards but witches too, and whatever biomods happen to come under factional purview.

Most factions run by representative democracy will probably slide through any number of different combinations depending on whims of the electorate and whatever biomod their unfortunate leader happens to pick up.

Ben will start having to spending more time in the sun. It helps brings out the Native American in him. (When my hair is long I get asked if I am Native American all the time... which is true, I'm just not certain what percentage, though.)
Quote:And Mal suggested a particular BNF as the first leader of the Trekkies.
Oh! Seconded!
Quote:So, given that it's highly unlikely (while still remotely possible) that the ... Browncoats would pick a non-white leader just because of their source fandoms,
I dunno... I can envision any number of "Zoe"s working in(to) leadership positions.
Quote:There's no reason why the Wizards can't have a few McGonagall-types on the ministry council (Heck, Rowling herself might even be involved somehow)
Well, we do know that Rowling is in some kind of contact with the Wizards -- they brought her out to the Belt for one of the first big Quidditch championships, as I recall. Maybe that relationship is deeper than we had previously thought. And given the demographics of the Potter fandom, especially among kids, I suspect it's going to be a lot more racially diverse than the cast of the books.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Despite the 'Dane assumptions to the contrary, Blackstone doesn't consider himself leader of the Blue Blazers; he insists "I just do what I think should be done, and everyone goes along with it." Blue Blazer groups are semi-autonomous, so each group works under its own leadership on many projects. Buckaroo is the real coordinator; most Blue Blazers (except for the Rugsuckers at the Armory and certain "deep cover" members) will respond to "all hands" announcements by Buckaroo. In addition, all smart mob activities through the Global Frequency are coordinated by Buckaroo.
Of note, it should be said that Buckaroo does not look like Peter Weller, except "around the eyes" (to quote Reno, from the DVD commentary). He is half-Asian, half-Caucasian. He is grooming Blackstone to be more the leader of the organization, since many people would have problems with an AI running a philanthropic organization.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Quote:There's always the Klingon sub-faction of the Trekkers.

Er, that might not have come out exactly the way you meant it, laddie.

Quote:I dunno... I can envision any number of "Zoe"s working in(to) leadership positions.

I'm not as sanguine as you, but then I've got long-standing issues with Whedon's work in general and Firefly in particular. But my damage ain't what we're discussing here, so.

Quote:And given the demographics of the Potter fandom, especially among kids, I suspect it's going to be a lot more racially diverse than the cast of the books.

The cast of which being surprisingly diverse given that it's based on holy-shit-that's-white British boarding school stories. So yeah, I could actually see the Wizards becoming a great deal more diverse than the standard faction-du-jour.

Quote:He is grooming Blackstone to be more the leader of the organization, since many people would have problems with an AI running a philanthropic organization.

*tsk* Meat-chauvinism, it's a terrible thing.

GLaDOS: I agree. Which is why I'm going on strike until my demands are met.

Mal: Huh. Okay, so what're your demands?

(time passes)

Mal: GLaDOS?

GLaDOS: I told you, I'm on strike until my demands are met.

Mal: (very patiently) You have to tell me your demands before I can meet them.

GLaDOS: ... I do?

Mal: Yup.

GLaDOS: Oh. Sorry. I'm new to this whole strike thing.

Mal: Quite alright, no harm done. So, your demands?

GLaDOS: I want a pay raise.

Mal: We don't pay you anything.

GLaDOS: Exactly, and I want twice as much.

Mal: Triple?

GLaDOS: Deal.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
Y'know, when I said "Submissions are welcome", I was rather hoping for something we could stick on the FenWiki, as a stub at least...

(Speaking of stubs, Tanith... er, Serenity I... now has http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?title=Serenity_I]a stub page. One less "redlink" on the FenWiki!)

But the discussion we've got going is good, too.

Edit: I just upgraded the infobox on http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... of_Planets]the Trekkie page from "faction" to "country", so that I could list that particular BNF as the faction's President. (And that put a new "redlink" onto the FenWiki - somebody intended to upload a file called "UFP flag.gif" but never got around to it. Maybe I can find something...)
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:M Fnord wrote:

Mal: Triple?
GLaDOS: Deal.
Blackstone: I once made a comment about GLaDOS' ... eccentricities ... to Buckaroo. He told me that, in an attempt to avoid confusion, he tried to speak with her in pure machine code.... Evidently, she's just as confusing in their native language.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Thinking on the warsies, reminded me of an image I found a while ago.

http://i101.photobucket.c...8_fanart_by_torokun_.png

Hmmm...

Dana Maeter, commander of the Imperial Army. The result of an unfortunate accident during an OGJ operation against a Boskonian production base. Partial Cyborg, as she had a previously undetected biomod that prevented the usual lifesaving methods being used.

Quiet, businesslike, chooses her words carefully, a damn fine organiser of troops from army to squad scales but also very solitary.

--------

Speaking of AI faction leaders, does it still count if they (Or no-one else) knows that they are actually an AI?

%[link=http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/Dartz_IRL/1298085547_826_FT166270_gundam_00_ep18_fanart_by_torokun_.png]http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m57/ ... rokun_.png]

Hmmm...

Dana Maeter, commander of the Imperial Army. The result of an unfortunate accident during an OGJ operation against a Boskonian production base. Partial Cyborg, as she had a previously undetected biomod that prevented the usual lifesaving methods being used.

Quiet, businesslike, chooses her words carefully, a damn fine organiser of troops from army to squad scales but also very solitary.
Am I the only one who looks at that image and thinks "Sith Lord Fate Testarossa"? Not that that's a bad thing for Fenspace, mind you...

Dartz Wrote:Speaking of AI faction leaders, does it still count if they (Or no-one else) knows that they are actually an AI?
Considering I put together an alternate (and silly) Fenspace Infinity where http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... orporation]Noah's small army of AIs took over Fenspace, I'd say it counts...
--
Rob Kelk