Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [Tech]Quantum Entanglement Modules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HRogge

Quantum Entanglement Module

»Sorry Cathy, but you do not understand. Every time we are between Earth and Mars the signal delay to the local cyberspace jumps up to minutes. I am not able to talk with any of my AI friends anymore because the protocols cannot handle cyberspace access with this delay and I am forced back on IRC. You really have to do something about it... please...«
Cortana trying to explain Cathy the problem about ‘being offline’

»Yes, these two boxes... yes, they are a working bidirectional interwave node with the size of a shoebox... NO, you cannot look into the box, that will destroy the quantum entanglement. Please look away so I can demonstrate the effect.«
Cathy, showing a Senshi the result of her “blue cat day”

The Quantum Entanglement Modules were built by Cathy with help of her AI friend Cortana to solve the light speed delay the Stargazer had to tolerate on trips away from FTL capable Interwave nodes. After learning that a full blown Interwave node with interstellar range was too large to mount on the Stargazer, Cathy and Cortana started discussing the problem and looking for answers. After a lot of research and failures, Cathy built the first pairs of QEMs after a flash of inspiration in a small lab in Crystal Kyoto om 2013.

Each pair of modules allow a digital connection between both with the bandwidth of a modern DSL connection with a similar delay as normal Interwave communication, regardless of the distance between the modules. Each box is a cube of 13cm length, width and height and a mass of exactly 4242 gram. There seem to be no moving parts, the only interfaces is a Gigabit Ethernet connector which has to supply the roughly 1 watt of power for the module too (through power over Ethernet).

Cathy has built three pairs of Quantum Entanglement Modules in late 2013. One was integrated into the Stargazer, the twin module was installed in a small server rack at 476 Hedwig. Another pair is in storage on Crystal Kyoto, the last pair was given to the Senshi Sailors Armed Militia.

The modules are very compact and easy to use, but there are some drawbacks.

Limitations:
  • Point-to-Point: Each module can only communicate with she corresponding twin module. If one of them is damaged or destroyed, the second one becomes useless.
  • Do not look: Looking at the box too long can disrupt communication, opening the casing or trying to penetrate it with a sensor device will destroy both twin modules, leaving only empty boxes containing lots of white dust.
  • No Warranty: Quantum Entanglement Modules cannot be repaired if damaged. They have to be replaced.
  • Rare one: The modules are difficult to build, so at the moment Cathy has no plans to build more of them.

Trivia:
  • Cat-Inside: There is a mandatory sticker with a cat on the left side of the module.
  • No-Cat-Inside: There is a “no cats allowed” prohibition sign on the right side of the module.
  • Hide it well: The modules work best when integrated into a larger machine where it cannot be seen.
Not the first time a quantum entanglement has been used in Fenspace. Lebia's 'body' is connected to Lebia's 'mind' via one of these. As her 'mind' a.k.a. her 'CPU' is safely on Prometheus Forge connected to the Interwave node there, it gives her a great advantage in 'Net access. The bandwidth is far greater as well.

How A.C. did the transplant, and then replaced the donated sub-processor is unknown even to Lebia (yes, A.C. surprises even Hyper-Core A.I.s).

HRogge

Cobalt Greywalker Wrote:Not the first time a quantum entanglement has been used in Fenspace. Lebia's 'body' is connected to Lebia's 'mind' via one of these. As her 'mind' a.k.a. her 'CPU' is safely on Prometheus Forge connected to the Interwave node there, it gives her a great advantage in 'Net access. The bandwidth is far greater as well.
How A.C. did the transplant, and then replaced the donated sub-processor is unknown even to Lebia (yes, A.C. surprises even Hyper-Core A.I.s).
Didn't know... and have no problem with it. Smile

Both implementations seem to have in common that they are not that easy to mass produce. *G*
It could be said that Jessica Ayanami does the same thing with her collective consciousness, ut the problem with that Is the limited range.

HRogge

If I push the article to the wiki, we might add a "other examples of Quantum Entanglement tech" section... what do you think ?
Why not?

I'd suggest adding the new page to the "Related Pages" list on the "Communications" page, and adding "[[Category: Fen Technology]" to the end of the new page...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge