Drunkard's Walk Forums

Full Version: [RFC] Construction Bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: cbug1.jpg]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
CB's are found all over Fenspace, wherever there is heavy construction going on.  Especially prevalent around the Trekker and Warsie shipyards, LaGrange points and near major asteroid extractions in the belt  Each Bug has 2 heavy duty manipulator arms and can manage up to 24 semi autonomous helper drones.  They are unarmed and  unarmored, though their construction tools can be used as makeshift weapons in a pinch.
Quirks:
Sexist Pig!:  CB's are definatly 'male' or 'female', and will only work if piloted by a human of the opposite sex
If you've got it, flaunt it:  The better looking a pilot is, the less they can wear.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

HRogge

Hmm... How does this thing helps you with construction ? are there a few robot arms missing ? Wink

But I like the concept... Smile
HRogge Wrote:Hmm... How does this thing helps you with construction ? are there a few robot arms missing ? Wink

But I like the concept... Smile
Yes, there are...  or rather they're in the stowed away position in this render (read:  Yeah, I havent modeled them yet)

NO QUARTER!!!
I can see these as platforms for construction workers "on site" to use while directing drones - the bugs wouldn't need their own manipulators in that case.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

HRogge

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Yes, there are...  or rather they're in the stowed away position in this render (read:  Yeah, I havent modeled them yet)
Ahh... yes, I can definitely see this things working... everywhere you have something too large to move by hand/powerarmor.
Star Ranger4 Wrote:Yes, there are...  or rather they're in the stowed away position in this render (read:  Yeah, I havent modeled them yet)
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resou ... adarm.html]Have a free manipulator (assuming you can use 3ds format files)
--
Rob Kelk

hmm... dunno about the Canadarm... but there are other items in their model repository I could wind up using in future projects.

NO QUARTER!!!
This may be the pervert in me coming out, but it looks like her nipples are clipping through her top.
.... They might be. her clothes were a quick n dirty add on when I realized that I'd used a nude version of her and that prolly wasnt a good idea if I was going to share it in a public fora.

One manipulator arm:
[Image: cbug2.jpg]

NO QUARTER!!!
Graphics update:

[Image: cbug3.jpg]

New arm design finalized. Gross outer hull modeling complete. Attention moving to greebles around the pilots chair, specifically adding in the primary control Joysticks/MFD interface as well as mounting a couple of 'flatscreens' on deployable arms from the edges of the pilot chair

Additional Proposed information addition:
Mineing boat: strips out all drone support and replaces it with a small sleeping/eating space behind the pilot chair
MINE!: after about 100 days of constant operation by the same pilot, a Mine boat or CB will fixate on them and refuse to work for anyone else

Common Drones: Eyeballs: Lights, camera and other sensors
Doggie: a gripper hand and upgrated thrusters to provide additional movement assistance
Handy: Posseses a scaled down verision of the manipulator arm but can also use standard bug hand tools such as powered rachet wrenches, grease guns, welder/cutters, etc

NO QUARTER!!!
Eyeball drones:

[Image: eball1.jpg]
(edit:  added some volumetrics to the 'lamps')

NO QUARTER!!!
But . . . there's nothing in space to give volumetric reflection.
heh. Eyeball. Just like TIE Fighers. Wink
Mark Skarr Wrote:But . . . there's nothing in space to give volumetric reflection.
I know that and you know that... but the drones don't know that. So they make it happen anyway...

(Sometimes Fenspace is silly that way.)
--
Rob Kelk

HRogge

Mark Skarr Wrote:But . . . there's nothing in space to give volumetric reflection.
Didn't you know that many waved crafts come with their own invisible light sources so they can look more cool ? Wink
*sigh* those were only there so you all could SEE that those were lights and not just some strange yellow disks
and exactly, BA.  Glad to see someone admits to getting the gag there!

NO QUARTER!!!

HRogge

At least these new "eye type" tie fighters might be able to do a useful job... Wink
Roit then: Todays shot: I'd originally was calling them Doggies (as in fetch) or Mules, but given the way the shape evolved, it became clear that most people would call them Piggies:

[Image: pdrone1.jpg]

Which also caused me to think up a quirk for em:
Pigs is PINK: Dont bother trying to paint em or otherwise change their color... the second you take your eyes off of them they turn pink.

NO QUARTER!!!
Star Ranger4 Wrote:Pigs is PINK: Dont bother trying to paint em or otherwise change their color... the second you take your eyes off of them they turn pink.
Which is going to make the tinfoil-spacesuit brigade think they're somehow connected to the Stingray.
--
Rob Kelk

That thing's cool... Does it have a camera on the otherside aswell for stereo vision, or is it just monocular?

NO QUARTER!!!
The Handyman drones, on the other hand, DO need stereoscopic vision since their whole purpose is to be an extra pair of hands doing welding, wiring, etc...

[Image: binodrone1.jpg]

NO QUARTER!!!

HRogge

I hope the arm has a telescopic extension build in... Wink
No, cause your only seeing about half the arm there because the arms in the stowed position. Its basicly the same arm as on the main bug...

*moves camera and changes arm texture to show it better*

[Image: binodrone2.jpg]

and this shows off the arm in a range of motion animation:

NO QUARTER!!!
Pages: 1 2